Cheap Grace

civic

The term “cheap grace” can be traced back to a book written by German theologian, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, called The Cost of Discipleship, published in 1937. In that book, Bonhoeffer defined “cheap grace” as “the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline. Communion without confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ.” Notice what is emphasized in Bonhoeffer’s definition of cheap grace and what is de-emphasized. The emphasis is on the benefits of Christianity without the costs involved; hence, the adjective cheap to describe it.

Jesus, in His Great Commission to the 11 remaining disciples, commanded them to go into all the world and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them and teaching them to observe all that He had commanded them (Matthew 28:19-20). Evangelism and discipleship go hand in hand. A disciple is one who observes (keeps, obeys) all that Jesus has commanded. There is no two-stage process in Christianity—first, be saved; then become a disciple. This arbitrary distinction is foreign to the New Testament and therefore foreign to Christianity.

To play off the title of Bonhoeffer’s book, let’s look at what Jesus said to His disciples about discipleship in Luke 14:25-33. In that passage, Jesus says to the crowds that no one can be His disciple unless they first hate their family (v. 26). Furthermore, the one who cannot bear his own cross cannot be His disciple (v. 27). Two conditions are given by Jesus in order to be His disciple. The first is to be willing to renounce family in order to follow Jesus. The second is to be willing to die, both literally and metaphorically (“die to self”) in order to follow Jesus. Jesus then gives two examples of “counting the cost.” The first is an example of a man who desires to build a tower without first counting the cost of building the tower. After realizing he cannot complete it, he gives up in shame and embarrassment. The second is that of a king preparing to go to battle and making sure he can defend against the superior foe. The point Jesus is making is that discipleship has a cost.

Furthermore, discipleship requires repentance and obedience. At the beginning of Jesus’ ministry, the message He preached was a message of repentance (Matthew 4:17). The message of the apostles after Jesus’ resurrection and ascension was also one of repentance (Acts 2:38). Along with repentance comes obedience. Jesus told a crowd of listeners that salvation and obedience go hand in hand: “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?” (Luke 6:46). Jesus then goes on to differentiate the one who builds his house on the sand from the one who builds his house on the rock, that is, the man who not only hears the words of Jesus, but does them, too.

Cheap grace seeks to hide the cost of discipleship from people. It seeks to claim that as long as we make a profession of faith, we are saved. God’s grace covers all our sins. Again, that is a wonderful truth! The apostle Paul says as much when he writes, “Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 5:20-21). Yet, right after writing that, Paul follows it with this: “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?” (Romans 6:1-2). Salvation by grace alone through faith alone is so much more than simply mouthing the words “Jesus is Lord.” We are not saved by a profession of faith. We are not saved by praying the Sinner’s Prayer. We are not saved by signing a card or walking an aisle. We are saved by a living and active faith (James 2:14-26), a faith that manifests itself in repentance, obedience and love of God and our neighbor. Salvation is not a transaction; it’s a transformation. Paul says it best when he says we are “new creations” in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). There is nothing “cheap” about grace! got?

Matthew 10:24-39

hope this helps !!!

Bonhoeffer Is one of my favorite theologians. He does have more than one book and I'm blessed to have many of them. This one is my favorite
Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, Volume 3 Creation and Fall: A Theological Exposition of Genesis 1–3.

Here is an excerpt from it that I've always liked.

THE POWER OF THE OTHER

And Yahweh God said: It is not good that the human being [Mensch] should be alone; I will make a helper who is a suitable partner. So out of the ground Yahweh God formed all the beasts of the field and all the birds of heaven and brought them to the human being to see what they would be called; and whatever the human being called the living creatures, so they were named. The human being gave names to all cattle and all the birds of heaven and all the beasts of the field; but God found no helper who was a partner suitable for the human being. So Yahweh God let a deep sleep fall upon the human being, and when sleep had come, God took a rib and filled out its place with flesh. Then Yahweh God formed into a woman the rib he had taken from the human being and brought her to the human being. Then the human being said: This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh. “She shall be called woman [Männin], because she was taken out of man [Mann].” That is why a man [Mann] will leave father and mother and cleave to his woman [Weib], and they will be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his woman, and they were not ashamed.

List of books by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"The Cost of Discipleship" is one of his best. He paid the ultimate cost of discipleship by returning to Germany where he was executed by hanging.

I am not sure that the right view of salvation is being painted here. Salvation is not hard to have. It is freely given and freely received. It is not 'cheap'.. but neither does it involve self reformation, any kind of good works.

Believing Jesus is God, that He died and rose again, and that by believing in Him you have eternal life. This is repentance involved in this believing. It is a change of mind, heart in this. Any works are a response to having this happen.. a response to being given eternal life. But they are not guaranteed to happen.. nor are they leaders to get salvation.

'Turning from sin'.. is very popular to put in tracts.. but salvation isn't turning from sin.. it's believing on Jesus. The difference? One is self reformation.. the other is all about Jesus alone. Unless turning from sin.. is meant having your sins forgiven by Jesus at salvation.. then that wouldn't involve works. You gotta be converted first, THEN you can 'turn from sin'. Otherwise it's putting perfume on a corpse!

So.. of course there is gonna be fruit from being saved.. that is the result of the Holy Spirit indwelling a person's soul.. but it doesn't mean they will be continually faithful from that point on. They will be rebuked when they fall into sin.. but may not live a godly life after salvation. That would be a wretched existence, but IT CAN HAPPEN.

So.. it is 'easy to believe' on Jesus Christ. I don't care if you wanna call it 'easy believism' or 'cheap grace'.. the fact is works have zero zip nadda to do with receiving eternal salvation in the first place.

I remember reading this book as a young believer.
As I recall... it both scared and frustrated me. I never did see something I could work with. Admittedly, it's been long enough since, that I've forgotten most of it.

I have however been on a quest to learn about Grace.
Not cheap grace, but Grace, as defined in scripture.

To me, there are a few key passages that I have come to think are extremely important points to learning Grace.

Tit 2:11-15 WEB 11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to the intent that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we would live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present age; 13 looking for the blessed hope and appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity and purify for himself a people for his own possession, zealous for good works.

15 Say these things and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one despise you.

This last statement in the grouping is key to recognize- hey! This matters! Don't forget it!!!!

In looking closely at vss 11-14, I see several important things.

God's Grace brought salvation.
God's Grace instructs us....

What does it instruct us in?
It instructs us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts/Desires...

It instructs us to live righteously, soberly, and godly.....

When?
In this present age....
Hmm... hey! This is right now.... whenever we're alive!
God's Grace teaches us....
To look for the appearing of our Great Gid and Savior, Jesus Christ!
Hmm.... sounds like grace is teaching me to be excited about and look forward to Jesus returning...

God's Grace instructs us to remember that he gave his life for us. To the end/purpose that He is redeeming us from all iniquity....
Hey! ALL iniquity? So much for cheap grace!
I kinda like this! ALL iniquity.
Reminds me of that passage in psalm 16.

Psa 16:11 WEB You will show me the path of life. In your presence is fullness of joy. In your right hand there are pleasures forever more.

Give me something better to focus my attention on than trying to figure out what I can get away with.
Dwelling in God's Presence means that I get unending pleasure and fullness of joy!
How can I get that?

God's Grace purifies for himself a people for his own possession,

Ooohhh! I like this! I actually belong to someone to whom i matter! I've never mattered enough to anyone who would fight for me!

This too reminds me of psalm 147:11.

Psa 147:11 WEB Yahweh takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his loving kindness.

I like being delighted in... nobody has delighted in me since childhood.....

God's Grace makes us zealous for good works.

Interesting.... I have done a lot of things in my life.... but to operate in my life in such a way that creates a zeal/excitement to do good works....

That reminds me of Ephesians 2:10, and Isaiah 26:12....

Isa 26:12 WEB Yahweh, you will ordain peace for us, for you have also done all our work for us.

Eph 2:10 WEB For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them.

Hey! This is pretty cool! God's Grace instructs in all these things! I've never had such a teacher like this before... how do I access this in such a way to ensure I don't miss anything he has for me?

An even bigger problem is "Cheap Law."

People want to lower the requirements of the Law down from perfection so they can still put people in the bondage of legalism.

I’m not under the law. :)

I'm glad, if that's true.

The problem for people who hold to Lordship Salvation is they make their own standard less than perfection, and it becomes a form of Cheap Law.

It is some standard they feel makes them a good enough Christian to be saved.

The problem for people who hold to Lordship Salvation is they make their own standard less than perfection, and it becomes a form of Cheap Law.

Did you ever read the gospel according to Jesus by MacArthur ?

Macs book always makes my top 10 list. It would make my top 5 list as well

1) The Pursuit of God by AW Tozer
2) The Knowledge of the Holy by AW Tozer
3) Grace Awakening by Swindoll
4) The Cost of Discipleship by Bonhoeffer
5) How to read the Bible for all its worth by Fee and Stuart
6) The Gospel according to Jesus by MacArthur
7) Pilgrims Progress by Bunyan
8) Fox's Book of Martyrs by Fox
9) Kingdom of the Cults by Martin
10) Evidence that demands a verdict by McDowell

The term “cheap grace” can be traced back to a book written by German theologian, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, called The Cost of Discipleship, published in 1937. In that book, Bonhoeffer defined “cheap grace” as “the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline. Communion without confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ.” Notice what is emphasized in Bonhoeffer’s definition of cheap grace and what is de-emphasized. The emphasis is on the benefits of Christianity without the costs involved; hence, the adjective cheap to describe it.

Jesus, in His Great Commission to the 11 remaining disciples, commanded them to go into all the world and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them and teaching them to observe all that He had commanded them (Matthew 28:19-20). Evangelism and discipleship go hand in hand. A disciple is one who observes (keeps, obeys) all that Jesus has commanded. There is no two-stage process in Christianity—first, be saved; then become a disciple. This arbitrary distinction is foreign to the New Testament and therefore foreign to Christianity.

To play off the title of Bonhoeffer’s book, let’s look at what Jesus said to His disciples about discipleship in Luke 14:25-33. In that passage, Jesus says to the crowds that no one can be His disciple unless they first hate their family (v. 26). Furthermore, the one who cannot bear his own cross cannot be His disciple (v. 27). Two conditions are given by Jesus in order to be His disciple. The first is to be willing to renounce family in order to follow Jesus. The second is to be willing to die, both literally and metaphorically (“die to self”) in order to follow Jesus. Jesus then gives two examples of “counting the cost.” The first is an example of a man who desires to build a tower without first counting the cost of building the tower. After realizing he cannot complete it, he gives up in shame and embarrassment. The second is that of a king preparing to go to battle and making sure he can defend against the superior foe. The point Jesus is making is that discipleship has a cost.

Furthermore, discipleship requires repentance and obedience. At the beginning of Jesus’ ministry, the message He preached was a message of repentance (Matthew 4:17). The message of the apostles after Jesus’ resurrection and ascension was also one of repentance (Acts 2:38). Along with repentance comes obedience. Jesus told a crowd of listeners that salvation and obedience go hand in hand: “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?” (Luke 6:46). Jesus then goes on to differentiate the one who builds his house on the sand from the one who builds his house on the rock, that is, the man who not only hears the words of Jesus, but does them, too.

Cheap grace seeks to hide the cost of discipleship from people. It seeks to claim that as long as we make a profession of faith, we are saved. God’s grace covers all our sins. Again, that is a wonderful truth! The apostle Paul says as much when he writes, “Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 5:20-21). Yet, right after writing that, Paul follows it with this: “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?” (Romans 6:1-2). Salvation by grace alone through faith alone is so much more than simply mouthing the words “Jesus is Lord.” We are not saved by a profession of faith. We are not saved by praying the Sinner’s Prayer. We are not saved by signing a card or walking an aisle. We are saved by a living and active faith (James 2:14-26), a faith that manifests itself in repentance, obedience and love of God and our neighbor. Salvation is not a transaction; it’s a transformation. Paul says it best when he says we are “new creations” in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). There is nothing “cheap” about grace! got?

hope this helps !!!
But “cheap grace” doesn’t speak of God’s grace. It is a self-imparted grace, a pseudograce. This grace is “cheap” in value, not cost. It is a bargain-basement, damaged-goods, washed-out, moth-eaten, second-hand grace. It is a manmade grace reminiscent of the indulgences Rome was peddling in Martin Luther’s day. Cheap? The cost is actually far more than the buyer could possibly realize, though the “grace” is utterly worthless.

John F. MacArthur Jr., The Gospel according to the Apostles: The Role of Works in the Life of Faith

But “cheap grace” doesn’t speak of God’s grace. It is a self-imparted grace, a pseudograce. This grace is “cheap” in value, not cost. It is a bargain-basement, damaged-goods, washed-out, moth-eaten, second-hand grace. It is a manmade grace reminiscent of the indulgences Rome was peddling in Martin Luther’s day. Cheap? The cost is actually far more than the buyer could possibly realize, though the “grace” is utterly worthless.

John F. MacArthur Jr., The Gospel according to the Apostles: The Role of Works in the Life of Faith
Okay, I think we've established that none of us are into "Cheap Grace", But just for the sake of discussion... What is Grace?

One of the best-known definitions of grace is only three words: God’s unmerited favor. A. W. Tozer expanded on that: “Grace is the good pleasure of God that inclines him to bestow benefits on the undeserving.” Berkhof is more to the point: grace is “the unmerited operation of God in the heart of man, effected through the agency of the Holy Spirit.

11.For the grace of God (His unmerited favor and blessing) has come forward (appeared) for the deliverance from sin and the eternal salvation for all mankind.
12. It has trained us to reject and renounce all ungodliness (irreligion) and worldly (passionate) desires, to live discreet (temperate, self-controlled), upright, devout (spiritually whole) lives in this present world
Titus 2:11–12.

Bonhoeffer
THE POWER OF THE OTHER

And Yahweh God said: It is not good that the human being [Mensch] should be alone; I will make a helper who is a suitable partner. So out of the ground Yahweh God formed all the beasts of the field and all the birds of heaven and brought them to the human being to see what they would be called; and whatever the human being called the living creatures, so they were named. The human being gave names to all cattle and all the birds of heaven and all the beasts of the field; but God found no helper who was a partner suitable for the human being.
Please consider:
The words of Genesis 2:18 are very familiar to us today: The Lord God said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone.’” Have you ever considered the implication of this NOT GOODNESS being corrected before everything was judged to be VERY GOOD, verse 1:31? Does it not imply that GOD created something as not good?

How could Adam be alone when GOD was in full fellowship with him? How does the presence of GOD need to be augmented by someone else for Adam to be not alone?

Did HE make a mistake or did something change within HIS creation so Adam was alone in a bad way, that is, a way needing to be corrected? Do we not believe that the only thing that can separate us from GOD is the free will choice to be sinful, to rebel against HIM because GOD cannot create evil?

And how does GOD fix this not good? HE brings the animals to Adam to name them and to see if his helpmeet was among them: Gen 2:20 The man gave names to all the livestock, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adame no suitable helper was found.

helper:
S5828. ezer
Definition: a help, helper

suitable: S5048: neged:
in front of, in sight of, opposite to
Does anyone have a reason so many, ie, most, commentators of this verse leave out any reference to the word suitable, that is, “in front of, in sight of, opposite to” as to its meaning to the verse or to the English, suitable? It seems like a wild guess as to what it means here...

So Adam did not just need a companion (perhaps a wife as most commentators suggest?) but he needed help with something... and the help was not just a general help such as with his gardening job but a specialized, suitable, helping as by a teacher, mentor or example, maybe.

Does this need for a specialized helper impact at all upon the question: "Whose idea was it that Adam look among the animals for a his suitable, ie specialized, helper?" GOD knew HE had Eve in the wings for him so it must have been Adam's idea that an animal might be suitable, right? So why did GOD acquiesce to Adam's wanting to look among the animals for his helper instead of just telling him, "Nope, I got someone special for you!?" It seems like there was some separation between them after all, eh? Some lack of communication between GOD and HIS perfect, faithful, creation? Only a bit of miscommunication, or something a bit more morally off?

Does it imply that Adam was not as he was created, ie perfect and faithful, but was being a little rebellious to GOD, ie, unfaithful in his heart against what GOD wanted for him? Does this story hint that Adam was sinful at this time in the garden? Was this why he and Eve were characterized as `RM, erm, that is, naked, the exact same word also used of the serpent to describe his being cunning in evil in the very next verse?

If so, then this cannot have been their creation because they had had time after their creation to understand GOD's commands and to break at least one of them to become sinful, that is, `rm.

If they were in fact merely unclothed and not sinful, then why when they ate were their eyes opened to their unclothedness, the unclothedness they had before they ate, as their sin and not to their eating as their sin?? What is sinful about being unclothed as GOD created you in the privacy of your own garden? Even if this is a euphemism for sex then how is it sinful when they were ordered to procreate? Nothing about this makes sense since being unclothed cannot be a sign of sinfulness?? !

Since the rabbis were convinced Adam and Eve were created in the garden, they rejected the idea they were already sinners when they arrived in the garden (GOD cannot create evil people - at least, not until HE needs to do so for some unknown reason, a reference to the inherited sin fiasco, another blasphemy altogether.) so they interpreted `rm as naked, not cunning in evil though the spelling was exactly the same. The Church Fathers agreed with the Hebrew scholars and ignored the implications of this story. Eisegesis can be fun, eh?

There is a problem of definition here.

Of course it is easy to believe, and having believed, the bible is clear a person believing has eternal life.

If we say that a person who believes definitely WILL be faithful to the end of their life...then that's back loading works into salvation.

The saying of 'now I can do whatever I want ' since I am always saved..is completely ignoring scripture on the discipline of the Holy Spirit in a believers life.

So it becomes highly unlikely someone who is saved is going to continue in heinous sin, because they have the Holy Spirit spurring them on.

But it is not IMPOSSIBLE for a believer to get caught up in serious sin. It can happen.

Paul would not admonish believers to pursue after the Spirit and not the flesh if we couldn't go after the flesh.

I'm not excusing fleshly behaviour. It's clear Jesus will rebuke a wayward believer.

Romans 6 is about this very thing . What is the response to having free grace?

There is a problem of definition here.

Of course it is easy to believe, and having believed, the bible is clear a person believing has eternal life.

If we say that a person who believes definitely WILL be faithful to the end of their life...then that's back loading works into salvation.

The saying of 'now I can do whatever I want ' since I am always saved..is completely ignoring scripture on the discipline of the Holy Spirit in a believers life.

So it becomes highly unlikely someone who is saved is going to continue in heinous sin, because they have the Holy Spirit spurring them on.

But it is not IMPOSSIBLE for a believer to get caught up in serious sin. It can happen.

Paul would not admonish believers to pursue after the Spirit and not the flesh if we couldn't go after the flesh.

I'm not excusing fleshly behaviour. It's clear Jesus will rebuke a wayward believer.

Romans 6 is about this very thing . What is the response to having free grace?
Looks like there was a thread on this topic. It's been a long day but I wanted to comment on this one sentence from your post real quick.

We know the bible doesn't teach that because it says that we all sin and fall short of the glory of God. But it does teach us that when the lamb goes astray jesus will leave the 99 and goes and gets that one last lamb. Jesus said that He would never leave us or Forsake us. That nothing can snatch us out of his hand. It's about our position in Christ. Been redeemed by the blood of the lamb.

Bottom line it's about sanctification.

Looks like there was a thread on this topic. It's been a long day but I wanted to comment on this one sentence from your post real quick.

We know the bible doesn't teach that because it says that we all sin and fall short of the glory of God. But it does teach us that when the lamb goes astray jesus will leave the 99 and goes and gets that one last lamb. Jesus said that He would never leave us or Forsake us. That nothing can snatch us out of his hand. It's about our position in Christ. Been redeemed by the blood of the lamb.

Bottom line it's about sanctification.

Justification vs sanctification

Justification-- our position in Christ determined. Once and for all. Sealed unto the day of redemption.
Sanctification-- The on going walk with Jesus, our level of reliance on Jesus in our lives. This doesn't determine our position of having a place in heaven. It will affect rewards in heaven. If we build hay, stubble etc.. bad works.. they will be burned and not rewarded in heaven.. if we build on our faith with hope and love in Christ.. then we have gold, etc.. in heaven.

Justification vs sanctification

Justification-- our position in Christ determined. Once and for all. Sealed unto the day of redemption.
Sanctification-- The on going walk with Jesus, our level of reliance on Jesus in our lives. This doesn't determine our position of having a place in heaven. It will affect rewards in heaven. If we build hay, stubble etc.. bad works.. they will be burned and not rewarded in heaven.. if we build on our faith with hope and love in Christ.. then we have gold, etc.. in heaven.
It sounds right to me. I know that sometimes we word things a little differently but I'm definitely in agreement. You managed to pack the whole concept into a few sentences.

hope this helps !!!
cheap grace to Bonhoeffer is simply grace without Jesus – and grace without Jesus is no grace at all.

Back
Top Bottom