True Grace, the power of Grace

SteveB

I remember reading the Bonheoffer book, Cost of Discipleship as a young believer.
As I recall... it both scared and frustrated me. I never did see something I could work with. Admittedly, it's been long enough since, that I've forgotten most of it.

I have however been on a quest to learn about Grace.
Not cheap grace, but Grace, as defined in scripture.

To me, there are a few key passages that I have come to think are extremely important points to learning Grace.

Tit 2:11-15 WEB 11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to the intent that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we would live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present age; 13 looking for the blessed hope and appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity and purify for himself a people for his own possession, zealous for good works.

15 Say these things and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one despise you.

This last statement in the grouping is key to recognize- hey! This matters! Don't forget it!!!!

In looking closely at vss 11-14, I see several important things.

God's Grace brought salvation.
God's Grace instructs us....

What does it instruct us in?
It instructs us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts/Desires...

It instructs us to live righteously, soberly, and godly.....

When?
In this present age....
Hmm... hey! This is right now.... whenever we're alive!
God's Grace teaches us....
To look for the appearing of our Great Gid and Savior, Jesus Christ!
Hmm.... sounds like grace is teaching me to be excited about and look forward to Jesus returning...

God's Grace instructs us to remember that he gave his life for us. To the end/purpose that He is redeeming us from all iniquity....
Hey! ALL iniquity? So much for cheap grace!
I kinda like this! ALL iniquity.
Reminds me of that passage in psalm 16.

Psa 16:11 WEB You will show me the path of life. In your presence is fullness of joy. In your right hand there are pleasures forever more.

Give me something better to focus my attention on than trying to figure out what I can get away with.
Dwelling in God's Presence means that I get unending pleasure and fullness of joy!
How can I get that?

God's Grace purifies for himself a people for his own possession,

Ooohhh! I like this! I actually belong to someone to whom i matter! I've never mattered enough to anyone who would fight for me!

This too reminds me of psalm 147:11.

Psa 147:11 WEB Yahweh takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his loving kindness.

I like being delighted in... nobody has delighted in me since childhood.....

God's Grace makes us zealous for good works.

Interesting.... I have done a lot of things in my life.... but to operate in my life in such a way that creates a zeal/excitement to do good works....

That reminds me of Ephesians 2:10, and Isaiah 26:12....

Isa 26:12 WEB Yahweh, you will ordain peace for us, for you have also done all our work for us.

Eph 2:10 WEB For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them.

Hey! This is pretty cool! God's Grace instructs in all these things! I've never had such a teacher like this before... how do I access this in such a way to ensure I don't miss anything he has for me?

Titus 2:11-15

11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

This passage shows how Grace is Sovereign, how it reigns through what Christ did, bringing ad causing Salvation, conversion

Rom 5:21

That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

The true power of grace is removing the demand for self-effort and self-goodness.

Then sanctification is no longer a burden and pressure, but a free gift.

Interesting.... I have done a lot of things in my life.... but to operate in my life in such a way that creates a zeal/excitement to do good works....
Make me think of a story I heard. Not sure if it's true but there was a Pastor who took over a new church. This was a church which was known to have members who would get all excited and shout out in the meetings, "Praise God! Thank you Jesus, Glory be to God!" He was bound determined he was going to stop that fanaticism! He announced from he pulpit that he didn't want anyone doing that any more that he wanted a decent church and all things done in order!

So.....following week he's preaching away and lo and behold a member our in the pews begins to shout , "Glory be to God thank You Jesus!!!" This upset the Pastor preaching so bad all his notes went flying on the floor all out of order.....He didn't know what to do so he gave the benediction. He thought OK tomorrow I'm going to visit that member and asks him what gives?

Whatever he said that made the man excited he decided he'd NEVER say it again but He he wanted to know what it was! The member was a farmer, he got there and his wife said he was in the field. So he marched on out to where he was and the member saw him coming and went out to meet him. He said respectfully, "Hello Preacher!"

The Pastor said, "None of that! I'm not here for a Pastoral visit. Now didn't you hear me the week before when I said I didn't want to hear anyone getting excited again???" The farmer replied, "Oh yes I remember that" The Pastor replied, "Well what was it I said that got you so excited?" His member replied, "Oh no preacher it was nothing you said that got me excited! No, no, no. But I got to thinking there in the pews.....gosh I'm so thankful to the Lord for saving me from my sins and redeeming me and for taking me out of the kingdom of darkness and translating me into the Kingdom of Light.....well it just rose up in me....."Praise God, thank you Jesus! Glory be to God! And you're going to have to forgive me preacher but I feel another one of those things coming on me right now......THANK YOU JESUS GLORY BE TO GOD!" The preacher went home thinking well if I can't beat them I may as well join them!

I remember reading the Bonheoffer book, Cost of Discipleship as a young believer.
As I recall... it both scared and frustrated me. I never did see something I could work with. Admittedly, it's been long enough since, that I've forgotten most of it.

I have however been on a quest to learn about Grace.
Not cheap grace, but Grace, as defined in scripture.

To me, there are a few key passages that I have come to think are extremely important points to learning Grace.

Tit 2:11-15 WEB 11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to the intent that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we would live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present age; 13 looking for the blessed hope and appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity and purify for himself a people for his own possession, zealous for good works.

15 Say these things and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one despise you.

This last statement in the grouping is key to recognize- hey! This matters! Don't forget it!!!!

In looking closely at vss 11-14, I see several important things.

God's Grace brought salvation.
God's Grace instructs us....

What does it instruct us in?
It instructs us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts/Desires...

It instructs us to live righteously, soberly, and godly.....

When?
In this present age....
Hmm... hey! This is right now.... whenever we're alive!
God's Grace teaches us....
To look for the appearing of our Great Gid and Savior, Jesus Christ!
Hmm.... sounds like grace is teaching me to be excited about and look forward to Jesus returning...

God's Grace instructs us to remember that he gave his life for us. To the end/purpose that He is redeeming us from all iniquity....
Hey! ALL iniquity? So much for cheap grace!
I kinda like this! ALL iniquity.
Reminds me of that passage in psalm 16.

Psa 16:11 WEB You will show me the path of life. In your presence is fullness of joy. In your right hand there are pleasures forever more.

Give me something better to focus my attention on than trying to figure out what I can get away with.
Dwelling in God's Presence means that I get unending pleasure and fullness of joy!
How can I get that?

God's Grace purifies for himself a people for his own possession,

Ooohhh! I like this! I actually belong to someone to whom i matter! I've never mattered enough to anyone who would fight for me!

This too reminds me of psalm 147:11.

Psa 147:11 WEB Yahweh takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his loving kindness.

I like being delighted in... nobody has delighted in me since childhood.....

God's Grace makes us zealous for good works.

That reminds me of Ephesians 2:10, and Isaiah 26:12....

Isa 26:12 WEB Yahweh, you will ordain peace for us, for you have also done all our work for us.

Eph 2:10 WEB For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them.

Hey! This is pretty cool! God's Grace instructs in all these things! I've never had such a teacher like this before... how do I access this in such a way to ensure I don't miss anything he has for me?
In Psalms 119:29-30, he wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and he chose the way of faith by setting it before him, so this has always been the one and only way of salvation by grace through faith. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him, in 1 Kings 2:1-3, God taught how to walk in His way through His law, and in John 17:3, eternal life is knowing God and Jesus. In Genesis 6:8-9, Noah found grace in the eyes of God, he was a righteous man, and he walked with God, so God was gracious him by teaching him to obey His law and he was righteous because he obeyed through faith. In Romans 1:5, we have received grace in order to bring about the obedience of faith. In Ephesians 2:8-10, while we do not earn our salvation as the result of our works lest anyone should boast, doing good works by grace through faith is nevertheless intrinsically the content of the gift of our salvation. In Titus 2:11-15, or God graciously teaching us to do those works in obedience to His law is the content of His gift of salvation.

The true power of grace is removing the demand for self-effort and self-goodness.

Hi D.
I'm not entirely sure on this...
1 Corinthians 15:9-11....
It may well be a different kind of effort... but effort is indeed a result of the work of Grace in our lives.

1Co 15:9-11 WEB 9 For I am the least of the apostles, who is not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the assembly of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am. His grace which was given to me was not futile, but I worked more than all of them; yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. 11 Whether then it is I or they, so we preach, and so you believed.

Make me think of a story I heard. Not sure if it's true but there was a Pastor who took over a new church. This was a church which was known to have members who would get all excited and shout out in the meetings, "Praise God! Thank you Jesus, Glory be to God!" He was bound determined he was going to stop that fanaticism! He announced from he pulpit that he didn't want anyone doing that any more that he wanted a decent church and all things done in order!

So.....following week he's preaching away and lo and behold a member our in the pews begins to shout , "Glory be to God thank You Jesus!!!" This upset the Pastor preaching so bad all his notes went flying on the floor all out of order.....He didn't know what to do so he gave the benediction. He thought OK tomorrow I'm going to visit that member and asks him what gives?

Whatever he said that made the man excited he decided he'd NEVER say it again but He he wanted to know what it was! The member was a farmer, he got there and his wife said he was in the field. So he marched on out to where he was and the member saw him coming and went out to meet him. He said respectfully, "Hello Preacher!"

The Pastor said, "None of that! I'm not here for a Pastoral visit. Now didn't you hear me the week before when I said I didn't want to hear anyone getting excited again???" The farmer replied, "Oh yes I remember that" The Pastor replied, "Well what was it I said that got you so excited?" His member replied, "Oh no preacher it was nothing you said that got me excited! No, no, no. But I got to thinking there in the pews.....gosh I'm so thankful to the Lord for saving me from my sins and redeeming me and for taking me out of the kingdom of darkness and translating me into the Kingdom of Light.....well it just rose up in me....."Praise God, thank you Jesus! Glory be to God! And you're going to have to forgive me preacher but I feel another one of those things coming on me right now......THANK YOU JESUS GLORY BE TO GOD!" The preacher went home thinking well if I can't beat them I may as well join them!
Nice!

now......THANK YOU JESUS GLORY BE TO GOD!"

To give further credence to my point...

2Pe 1:2-11 WEB 2 Grace to you and peace be multiplied in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 seeing that his divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and virtue, 4 by which he has granted to us his precious and exceedingly great promises; that through these you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust. 5 Yes, and for this very cause adding on your part all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence; and in moral excellence, knowledge; 6 and in knowledge, self-control; and in self-control, perseverance; and in perseverance, godliness; 7 and in godliness, brotherly affection; and in brotherly affection, love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, they make you to not be idle or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is blind, seeing only what is near, having forgotten the cleansing from his old sins. 10 Therefore, brothers, be more diligent to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never stumble. 11 For thus you will be richly supplied with the entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Grace teaches us to be excited about our part in this... to respond.

Like Rockson said in his story....

now......THANK YOU JESUS GLORY BE TO GOD!"
we give diligence so we can experience the success promised us in Christ.

Under the law with its ten-fold lash
Learning, alas, how true
That the more I tried
The sooner I died
While the law cried, "You! You! You!"
Hopelessly still did the battle rage,
"Oh, wretched man," my cry.
And deliverance I sought
By some penance bought,
While my heart cried, "I! I! I!"
Then came a day when my struggling ceased,
And trembling in every limb
At the foot of the tree,
Where One died for me,
My soul cried, “Him! Him! Him!”

Now that you're forgiven... BACK TO WORK(s)!!!

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse (Gal. 3:10 NKJ)

Hi D.
1 Corinthians 15:9-11....
It may well be a different kind of effort... but effort is indeed a result of the work of Grace in our lives.

1Co 15:9-11 WEB 9 For I am the least of the apostles, who is not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the assembly of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am. His grace which was given to me was not futile, but I worked more than all of them; yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. 11 Whether then it is I or they, so we preach, and so you believed.
Yes sanctification is indeed synergistic

Learning, alas, how true
That the more I tried
The sooner I died
Helplessly still did the battle rage,
And deliverance I sought
By some penance bought,
At the foot of the tree,
Where One died for me,

Right....
Not arguing that.

Rom 4:3-6 WEB 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 4 Now to him who works, the reward is not counted as grace, but as something owed. 5 But to him who doesn’t work, but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness. 6 Even as David also pronounces blessing on the man to whom God counts righteousness apart from works:

The same Paul who wrote these things I've quoted, wrote what you quote (sans the cool poem).

Learning, alas, how true
That the more I tried
The sooner I died
Hopelessly still did the battle rage,
And deliverance I sought
By some penance bought,
At the foot of the tree,
Where One died for me,

Conflating the law with sanctification which is synergistic. We are discussing a believers life and personal responsibility to obey the Lord. He doesn’t obey for anyone and mans has a free will to choose to obey Him. You sound monergestic and deterministic. A Very Calvinist POV.

2Pe 1:2-11 WEB 2 Grace to you and peace be multiplied in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 seeing that his divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and virtue, 4 by which he has granted to us his precious and exceedingly great promises; that through these you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust.

this above passage out of 2 Peter 1 describes what we get from God, through what Jesus accomplished on our behalf.
1- we get an increasingly level of experience of Grace and Peace, by increasing our knowledge of God and Jesus.
2- through our increasing level of knowledge, we learn that He's given us literally everything we need to live a godly life.
3- he did this because of his Glory and Virtue.
4- He's given us MANY exceedingly great and precious promises....
That by these promises... we may become partakers of His divine nature....
which affords us the wherewithal to escape the corruption that is in the world because of lust/evil desire...

5 Yes, and for this very cause adding on your part all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence; and in moral excellence, knowledge; 6 and in knowledge, self-control; and in self-control, perseverance; and in perseverance, godliness; 7 and in godliness, brotherly affection; and in brotherly affection, love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, they make you to not be idle or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

As a result of what God and Jesus did for us (described in vss 2-4), we are no longer bound to the struggle to adhere to the law, and be perfect.
ttwe are now freed to focus on increasing certain attributes.
1- we started with Faith... faith in what Jesus achieved by his life, death on the cross, and resurrection, and ascension....
2- building on our faith in Jesus, we add virtue to faith...
3- building on virtue... we add knowledge... .....
4- building on knowledge, we add self-control....
5- building on self-control, we add perseverance....
6- building on perseverance, add godliness...
7- building on godliness, add brotherly kindness...
8- building on brotherly kindness, add love....

For if these things are in you and abound... you will succeed as a follower of Jesus.
As Jesus said in John 15... you will produce much fruit!

9 For he who lacks these things is blind, seeing only what is near, having forgotten the cleansing from his old sins.

This, while unpleasant, is important.

If we lack these things....
Well.... let's just describe it as having short-sighted vision...

G3467 search
Original: μυωπάζω

Transliteration: muōpazō

Phonetic: moo-ope-ad'-zo

Thayer Definition:

to see dimly, see only what is near
Origin: from a compound of the base of G3466 and ops (the face, from G3700)

TDNT entry: None

Part(s) of speech: Verb

Strong's Definition: From a compound of the base of G3466 and ωψ ōps (the face : from G3700); to shut the eyes, that is, blink (see indistinctly): - cannot see afar off.

10 Therefore, brothers, be more diligent to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never stumble.

Question..... how would you like to be able to NOT stumble?
Yes, actually.... it's the same word used in James 3...
How does that sound to you?
I'd love to be able to not stumble....

11 For thus you will be richly supplied with the entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Richly supplied an entrance into the eternal Kingdom of Jesus...

I'm not entirely sure why, but this reminds me of the post world war 2 parades, for returning soldiers when they returned home...

Big huge ticker tape and confetti parades, big bands, etc... a serious shin dig for those who returned...

Well... in this case... a heroes welcome home to heaven.

Sound interesting?
Are you game?
Grace has some serious "shh-bang" in store for you..... us..... who follow Jesus.

2Pe 1:2-11 WEB 2 Grace to you and peace be multiplied in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 seeing that his divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and virtue, 4 by which he has granted to us his precious and exceedingly great promises; that through these you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust.

this above passage out of 2 Peter 1 describes what we get from God, through what Jesus accomplished on our behalf.
1- we get an increasingly level of experience of Grace and Peace, by increasing our knowledge of God and Jesus.
2- through our increasing level of knowledge, we learn that He's given us literally everything we need to live a godly life.
3- he did this because of his Glory and Virtue.
4- He's given us MANY exceedingly great and precious promises....
That by these promises... we may become partakers of His divine nature....
which affords us the wherewithal to escape the corruption that is in the world because of lust/evil desire...

5 Yes, and for this very cause adding on your part all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence; and in moral excellence, knowledge; 6 and in knowledge, self-control; and in self-control, perseverance; and in perseverance, godliness; 7 and in godliness, brotherly affection; and in brotherly affection, love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, they make you to not be idle or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

As a result of what God and Jesus did for us (described in vss 2-4), we are no longer bound to the struggle to adhere to the law, and be perfect.
ttwe are now freed to focus on increasing certain attributes.
1- we started with Faith... faith in what Jesus achieved by his life, death on the cross, and resurrection, and ascension....
2- building on our faith in Jesus, we add virtue to faith...
3- building on virtue... we add knowledge... .....
4- building on knowledge, we add self-control....
5- building on self-control, we add perseverance....
6- building on perseverance, add godliness...
7- building on godliness, add brotherly kindness...
8- building on brotherly kindness, add love....

For if these things are in you and abound... you will succeed as a follower of Jesus.
As Jesus said in John 15... you will produce much fruit!

9 For he who lacks these things is blind, seeing only what is near, having forgotten the cleansing from his old sins.

This, while unpleasant, is important.

If we lack these things....
Well.... let's just describe it as having short-sighted vision...

G3467 search
Original: μυωπάζω

Transliteration: muōpazō

Phonetic: moo-ope-ad'-zo

Thayer Definition:

to see dimly, see only what is near
Origin: from a compound of the base of G3466 and ops (the face, from G3700)

TDNT entry: None

Part(s) of speech: Verb

Strong's Definition: From a compound of the base of G3466 and ωψ ōps (the face : from G3700); to shut the eyes, that is, blink (see indistinctly): - cannot see afar off.

10 Therefore, brothers, be more diligent to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never stumble.

Question..... how would you like to be able to NOT stumble?
Yes, actually.... it's the same word used in James 3...
How does that sound to you?
I'd love to be able to not stumble....

11 For thus you will be richly supplied with the entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Richly supplied an entrance into the eternal Kingdom of Jesus...

I'm not entirely sure why, but this reminds me of the post world war 2 parades, for returning soldiers when they returned home...

Big huge ticker tape and confetti parades, big bands, etc... a serious shin dig for those who returned...

Well... in this case... a heroes welcome home to heaven.

Sound interesting?
Are you game?
Grace has some serious "shh-bang" in store for you..... us..... who follow Jesus.
Most excellent!!!

One more thing... Peter apparently thought it was sufficiently important that he topped off the first 11 verses in his second letter with...

2Pe 1:12-13 WEB 12 Therefore I will not be negligent to remind you of these things, though you know them and are established in the present truth. 13 I think it right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you,

I don't know about you... but my memory is pretty good.... according to friends and family members... a few have even expressed jealousy over it, perhaps more frustration... I have something they want.

I keep pointing them to John 14:26, and Matthew 13:52, bit apparently it's not good enough...

I say that because over my earlier years, when friends would tell me something, I'd generally respond with a...

Yeah! Yeah! I know. Thanks! I'm good! I know that already!

Or some variation thereof!
I could be rather terse about it.
I wasn't "trying" to be, but I was...

Then sometime in 2008, I read this passage, and it hit me... my memory... for remembering important things.... such as this section of scripture... sucked!
It appears that I could remember for the benefit of others, but not myself.
I couldn't remember.... oh.... wait....
That's verse 9...
Yep! I was indeed short-sighted.
Indeed I needed reminders. I needed friends in Christ to remind me of the truth.

While I no longer responded with the

It's been a learning experience..

We are human beings. Jesus saves from all unrighteousness and iniquity for a reason...

One more thing... Peter apparently thought it was sufficiently important that he topped off the first 11 verses in his second letter with...

2Pe 1:12-13 WEB 12 Therefore I will not be negligent to remind you of these things, though you know them and are established in the present truth. 13 I think it right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you,

I don't know about you... but my memory is pretty good.... according to friends and family members... a few have even expressed jealousy over it, perhaps more frustration... I have something they want.

I keep pointing them to John 14:26, and Matthew 13:52, bit apparently it's not good enough...

I say that because over my earlier years, when friends would tell me something, I'd generally respond with a...

Or some variation thereof!
I could be rather terse about it.
I wasn't "trying" to be, but I was...

Then sometime in 2008, I read this passage, and it hit me... my memory... for remembering important things.... such as this section of scripture... sucked!
It appears that I could remember for the benefit of others, but not myself.
I couldn't remember.... oh.... wait....
That's verse 9...
Yep! I was indeed short-sighted.
Indeed I needed reminders. I needed friends in Christ to remind me of the truth.

While I no longer responded with the

It's been a learning experience..

We are human beings. Jesus saves from all unrighteousness and iniquity for a reason...
Peter parallels Paul in Roman’s 12:1-2 renewing our minds

This thread reminds me of another I started.

The Spirit and the Mind. A check up from the neck up! The Mind is a Battlefield.

Battlefield means the field or ground upon which a battle is fought. 2. and area of contention, conflict, or hostile opposition.” A battlefield is a place of hostile opposition. A battlefield is a place where battles are won and lost. Everyday – every moment – there is a battle going on in our minds between right and wrong, good and bad, God’s way or Satan’s way, the Spirit or the flesh. It is our wills that determine who wins control of our minds, and because actions follow thoughts, ultimately who wins control of our very lives

The enemy attacked Eve in her mind/reasoning and tried the same with Jesus. He tried to cause doubt with Gods word and succeeded with Eve (did God really say? And you will not surely die) and he failed with Jesus. He attacks us today in the same way. The sword of the spirit which is the word of God is our only offensive weapon and defense against our enemy. Jesus did not use Hid Divine power as God to defeat satan, He used the same means we have at our disposal to defeat the enemy- the Word of God!

1-We must know Gods Word- Jesus used Gods word against the enemy.

2-We must memorize Gods Word. Ps 119:11, Ps 37:31, Ps 40:8

3- We must meditate on Gods Word- Joshua 1:8, Ps 1:2, Ps 119:147-48

4- We must use Gods Word- John 14:26. It is written was Jesus’ response. Matt 4:1-11

5- We must train ourselves in Gods Word- discipline, training, practice. 1 Tim 4:7, 1 Cor 9:25-27, 2 Tim 2:1-7.

Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny.” Our destiny is tied directly to and starts with our thoughts.

Romans 8:5-14-
Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit havetheir minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mindgoverned by the Spirit is life and peace. 7 The mindgoverned by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God. You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.12 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God

Colossians 3:1-10- Therefore, if you have been raised with Christ, keep seeking the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on the things that areabove, not on the things that are on earth. 3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.5 Therefore, treat the parts of your earthly body as dead to sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry. 6 For it is because of these things that the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, 7 and in them you also once walked, when you were living in them. 8 But now you also, rid yourselves of all of them: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene speech from your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another, since you stripped off the old self with its evil practices, 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created it

1 Peter 1:13-16 Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.

Galatians 5:16-18- So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

1 Corinthians 2:9-16- However, as it is written:
“What no eye has seen,
what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”—
the things God has prepared for those who love him—
10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit.

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11 For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12 What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. 14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 15 The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, 16 for,

“Who has known the mind of the Lord
so as to instruct him?”

But we have the mind of Christ.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Romans 12:1-2-Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Ephesians 4:17-25-Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. 18 They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart. 19 They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity. 20 But that is not the way you learned Christ!— 21 assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, 22 to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires,23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

Philippians 2:1-5 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

Philippians 4:8-Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.

Proverbs 4:23- Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts.

Proverbs 23:7
- As a man thinks in his heart so is he. Cf Deut 4:9, Proverbs 4. Col 3:23, Prov 22:29

hope this helps !

Peter parallels Paul in Roman’s 12:1-2 renewing our minds
Yep.
Check out Romans 8:3-8.

Rom 8:3-8 WEB 3 For what the law couldn’t do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God did, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us who don’t walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind of the flesh is death, but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace; 7 because the mind of the flesh is hostile toward God, for it is not subject to God’s law, neither indeed can it be. 8 Those who are in the flesh can’t please God.

It's a curious thing..

Apparently the only way to satisfy the righteous requirements of the law is to focus our thinking on spiritual things...
Which is further elaborated on in 12:1-2.

Back
Top Bottom