Augustine's unbiblical doctrine of Amillennialism

civic

The doctrine of Amillennialism was formulated by Augustine of Hippo (354-430) around 400 AD, four centuries after the birth of Jesus Christ. (Think about how long that it for a second. The USA hasn’t even been a country for 250 years!) ‘Amillennialism’ literally means “no millennium” and unsurprisingly maintains that there will be no literal thousand-year reign of Christ on earth before the eternal age of the new heavens and new earth, both of which are plainly detailed in Revelation 20-22.

Incredibly, this doctrine dares to suggest that we are already living in the Millennium; in fact, we’ve been supposedly living in it since the resurrection of Christ! Tell me, does it seem like Jesus has been reigning on earth for the last two thousand years? Does it appear like the devil has been bound up in the Abyss since Jesus’ resurrection in the 1st century? Of course not, the teaching is simply unbiblical and no sound student of the Scriptures would embrace the doctrine by simply reading the bible.

Even more incredible, Amillennialism teaches that we are simultaneously in both the Millennium and the 7-year Tribulation (!), the latter of which is chronicled in Revelation 6-19. Augustine’s reasoning was that the number 7 is symbolic and represents the period of time from the death/resurrection of Christ to his Second Coming. For those not in the know, the Tribulation is the 7-year period at the end of this age where God’s wrath will be poured out on the Earth wherein one quarter of the planet’s populace will perish followed by one-third of the rest (Revelation 6:8 & Revelation 9:18). Needless to say, no such calamity of this scope has happened since the ascension of Christ. Why? Simple: We’re not in the Tribulation as Amillennialism claims.

The only way Amillennialism can be accepted and perpetuated is by persuading Christian disciples through indoctrination in church or cemetery, I mean seminary. I repeat, believers would never see Amillennialism or accept it by merely reading/studying their Bibles. However, once disciples accept the idea that Amillennialism is unquestionable orthodoxy their studies of the scriptures will naturally be tainted and biased by their acceptance of this false doctrine; in other words, they’ll read the scriptures pre-supposing Amillennialism to be true, not freely or at face value, as is natural.

By contrast, when one studies the Bible free of such presuppositions, taking it simply for what it says, it isn’t difficult to see the error of Amillennialism.

The word ‘orthodox’ literally means “correct view.” What we determine to be orthodox Christian beliefs must be clearly and consistently taught in Scripture. In other words, if a doctrine is truly orthodox – that is, a “correct view” essential to Christian truth – it shouldn’t be necessary to engage in bizarre theological mumbo jumbo to prove its authenticity, like “spiritualizing” plain-as-day passages, which is what has to be done in order to “prove” Amillennialism.

The only way people who support Amillennialism can justify this doctrine is by convincing people that the Bible doesn’t really mean what it clearly says, which is that there will be a 7-year Tribulation period at the end of this age, then the devil will be bound up for a thousand years while Jesus Christ reigns on earth assisted by the resurrected saints (Revelation 20:1-6). To prove these plain truths one doesn’t have to resort to unjustified “spiritualizing” of the Scriptures, as is the case with Amillennialism. These truths can be discovered or proven simply by freely reading the Bible unhindered by foreign presuppositions.

How did a doctrine like Amillennialism come to be considered Christian orthodoxy when it’s so clearly unscriptural? The reason is that there’s another basis besides Holy Scripture used to determine the content of orthodoxy, and that is tradition. When people speak of Christian tradition they’re usually referring to religious literature, creeds and councils from the Patristic Age, or “late antiquity,” which extended from the 4th to the 8th centuries and includes Augustine’s advocacy of Amillennialism, as well as other errors. Augustine was the most prominent and influential “Church father” of this period. Christian tradition is also derived from other eras, including the later medieval, Reformation and post-Reformation eras. The very fact that Christian tradition is historically cumulative testifies that the worldwide invisible Church is in an ongoing state of reform; in other words, Christendom is not in bondage to historical tradition.

For important details on Amillennialism compared with the other views of the Millennium see this article by David Reagan, which features helpful diagrams. It contains vital information every believer should know about end-time events as prophesied in the Scriptures.

Why Am I Coming Down So Hard On Amillennialism?

Answer: Not just because Amillennialism is so grossly unscriptural, but because of the immense damage it has done to the body of Christ and our understanding of eschatology ever since it was concocted. (Eschatology, if you’re not aware, is the biblical study of end times events). For instance, to this day genuine believers all over the globe believe that when a person dies he/she either goes to Heaven to sit on a cloud playing a harp forever or goes to Hell to eternally roast in fiery torment. That’s it. If you think either of these is wholly true then Amillennialism has had a negative impact on YOU. Unfortunately, most unbelievers think this is what the Bible actually teaches; and most unseasoned believers as well. Why? Because of Augustine’s false doctrine of Amillennialism and the Roman Church’s official embracing of it in 431 AD at the Council of Ephesus. http://fountainoflifetm.com/2019/03/11/amillennialism-what-is-it-whats-wrong-with-it/

Thankfully, as with any erroneous belief, the truth will set us free (John 8:31-32).

The promised literal kingdom on earth—David’s—was what James and John’s mother referred to in Matthew 20:21. And just before Christ ascended to Heaven after His resurrection, this kingdom was still on the minds of the disciples when they asked, “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” Notice that the Lord didn’t ridicule them by asking something like, “Where did you ever get an idea like that?” No, it was legitimate for them to believe that this earthly kingdom would take place. Rather, He simply reminded them that it was not for them to know exactly when; that was God’s business. They were to concentrate on obeying the Great Commission after Jesus was gone to Heaven and on occupying until He returned, just as we believers still have the responsibility to do today.

Christ’s literal kingdom was prophesied in Jeremiah 23: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, that I will raise to David a Branch of righteousness; a King shall reign and prosper, and execute judgment and righteousness in the earth. In His days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell safely; now this is His name by which He will be called: THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS” (vv. 5, 6). This is a promise, and it has yet to come to pass. If prophetic passages like these do not mean Christ’s millennial (1,000-year) reign, they are meaningless.

hope this helps !!!

For further study here is a good article from Bible.org on all the historic and biblical problems with the doctrine of Amillennialism

From Got Questions below why they reject the doctrine of amillennialism

Please note, as a ministry, GotQuestions.org rejects amillennialism. We truly and fully believe in premillennialism, that Christ will return to establish His kingdom, over which He will reign for 1,000 years. However, we believe that amillennialism is a valid viewpoint that a Christian can hold. In no sense is amillennialism heresy and in no sense should amillennialists be shunned as not being brothers and sisters in Christ. We thought it would be worthwhile to have an article that positively presents amillennialism, as it is always good for our viewpoints to be challenged, motivating us to further search the Scriptures to make sure our beliefs are biblically sound.

Amillennialism is one of four views of the end times regarding the 1,000-year reign of Christ. Each of the four views differs in the placement, or the timing, of the 1,000-year reign mentioned in Revelation 20.

An amillennialist sees the 1,000 years as spiritual and non-literal, as opposed to a physical understanding of history. Although the prefix a- would typically signify a negation of a word, the amil position sees the millennium as “realized,” or better explained as “millennium now.” To simplify, amillennialism sees the first coming of Christ as the inauguration of the kingdom, and His return as the consummation of the kingdom. John’s mention of 1,000 years thus points to all things that would happen in the church age.

The amil position sees the book of Revelation as having numerous “camera angle” approaches. For instance, chapter 19 ends with Christ returning to destroy His enemies, making chapter 20 difficult to understand in that enemies arise to attack Him again (what enemies are these, if they’ve already been destroyed?). However, if we see chapter 20 as a different “angle” for the end of the age, then the 1,000-year reign isn’t necessarily physical/earthly history, but symbolic. It speaks of the spiritual realm. John is giving a “replay” of what he saw.

Scripture uses the number 1,000 many times as a generic term to mean “immensity,” “fullness of quantity,” or “multitude” (e.g., Psalm 84:10; Job 9:3; 1 Chronicles 16:15). With the repeated symbolic use of 1,000, it is difficult to see its use in Revelation as literal, especially in a book as heavily symbolic as Revelation is.

There are many arguments against the amillennial position, but they can be refuted through exegesis of Scripture. Careful hermeneutics (the study of the principles of interpretation), proves the amil position has legitimacy. Most passages of Scripture used to try to refute the position actually make it more viable, based on the words of our Lord Himself: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them” (Matthew 5:17). In light of the words of our Savior, prophetic passages like Daniel 7 and Jeremiah 23 are to be understood as fulfilled in Christ Jesus and His first coming, especially since all of the prophets are talking about the coming Messiah in the first place.

Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies concerning Him, including, for example, the prophecy that Christ’s feet will touch the Mount of Olives prior to the establishment of His kingdom (Zechariah 14). This was clearly fulfilled in Matthew 24 when Jesus went to the Mount of Olives to teach what is known as the Olivet Discourse.

In amillennialism, the “1,000 years” is happening right now. Christ’s work in this world—His life, death, resurrection, and ascension—greatly hindered the works of Satan so that the message of the gospel could leave Israel and go out to the ends of the earth, just as it has done. The 1,000 years spoken of in Revelation 20, in which Satan is “bound,” is figurative and fulfilled in a spiritual sense. Satan is “bound” in that he is restricted from implementing all his plans. He can still perform evil, but he cannot deceive the nations until the final battle. Once the “1,000 years” are over, Satan is released to practice his deception for a little while before the return of Christ.

When we study the Olivet Discourse, along with the accounts of the “Day of the Lord” in 2 Peter 3 and 1 Thessalonians 4, we see that the return of our Lord comes quickly, visibly, and with the sound of a trumpet. In other words, all alive at that time will experience the return of our Lord, and then will come the end. There is no mention in these texts about a literal 1,000-year earthly reign. Rather, Christ’s return is heard, seen, and realized. In fact, the apostle Peter says that, at the Day of the Lord, the heavens and earth will be burned up and the new heavens and new earth will be created. This leaves no room for a supposed physical and earthly kingdom lasting a literal 1,000 years.

The amillennial view, along with premillennialism, is one of the oldest in church history, being held since the first century. In the 5th century, Augustine settled on the amillennial view as his understanding of eschatology. Additionally, amillennialism was the primary view of most of the Reformers in the 16th century.

I only use got questions as a stepping stone so I can get a general idea of what to study on any particular topic. So for me it's a good tool. But just to be fair a lot of their articles are spot on.

‘Amillennialism’ literally means “no millennium” and unsurprisingly maintains that there will be no literal thousand-year reign of Christ on earth before the eternal age of the new heavens and new earth, both of which are plainly detailed in Revelation 20-22.
  • [Rev 1:16 NASB20] 16 In His right hand He held seven stars, and out of His mouth came a sharp two-edged sword; and His face was like the sun shining in its strength.
  • [Rev 2:16 NASB20] 16 'Therefore repent; or else I am coming to you quickly, and I will wage war against them with the sword of My mouth.
  • [Rev 19:15, 21 NASB20] 15 From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty. ... 21 And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh.
So we should expect Jesus to have a sharp sword sticking out of His mouth during this 1000 year reign, right? If Revelation 20-22 is 100% literal, then Revelation 19 should be 100% literal as well (since the chapter divisions were added to the scroll later).

“Augustine's unbiblical doctrine of Amillennialism”​

You tend to be quick to drop the accusation of “unbiblical” (just an observation).

• [Rev 1:16 NASB20] 16 In His right hand He held seven stars, and out of His mouth came a sharp two-edged sword; and His face was like the sun shining in its strength.
  • [Rev 2:16 NASB20] 16 'Therefore repent; or else I am coming to you quickly, and I will wage war against them with the sword of My mouth.
  • [Rev 19:15, 21 NASB20] 15 From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty. ... 21 And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh.
So we should expect Jesus to have a sharp sword sticking out of His mouth during this 1000 year reign, right? If Revelation 20-22 is 100% literal, then Revelation 19 should be 100% literal as well (since the chapter divisions were added to the scroll later).

“Augustine's unbiblical doctrine of Amillennialism”​

You tend to be quick to drop the accusation of “unbiblical” (just an observation).
The millennium is biblical :) And it has not happened yet as there has never been any peace since Jesus 1st Coming and the lion and the lamb have never laid down together. There has never been world wide plagues happening at the same time wiping out 1/2 of mankind that is 3.5 billion people. That is still yet to come and precedes the 1000 years.

The millennium is biblical :) And it has not happened yet as there has never been any peace since Jesus 1st Coming and the lion and the lamb have never laid down together.
I am not a fan of Eschatology in general … frankly, it is just too hard for me to fit the pieces of Daniel and Revelation together into anything coherent. I generally just avoid the topic rather than throw darts in the dark.

That said, there are some CLEAR statements in the Gospels and Pauline Epistles that are hard to reconcile with any of the speculations that I read. Jesus claimed that He would return the way that He left. Paul claimed that we would all meet Jesus in the air. Those clear, simple points become hard to reconcile with timelines of Raptures and kingdoms and Third Returns to create a new Heaven and Earth.

I am not a fan of Eschatology in general … frankly, it is just too hard for me to fit the pieces of Daniel and Revelation together into anything coherent. I generally just avoid the topic rather than throw darts in the dark.

That said, there are some CLEAR statements in the Gospels and Pauline Epistles that are hard to reconcile with any of the speculations that I read. Jesus claimed that He would return the way that He left. Paul claimed that we would all meet Jesus in the air. Those clear, simple points become hard to reconcile with timelines of Raptures and kingdoms and Third Returns to create a new Heaven and Earth.
Yes I agree its not an easy thing to do putting the pieces of the puzzle together. I was really into eschatology in the 80's early 90's. Now I think the most important thing is to be ready for His 2nd Coming which Jesus taught in many of His parables. being prepared doing the Lords work for He will come at a time/hour when least expected like a thief in the night who catches you off-guard.

The doctrine of Amillennialism was formulated by Augustine of Hippo (354-430) around 400 AD, four centuries after the birth of Jesus Christ. (Think about how long that it for a second. The USA hasn’t even been a country for 250 years!) ‘Amillennialism’ literally means “no millennium” and unsurprisingly maintains that there will be no literal thousand-year reign of Christ on earth before the eternal age of the new heavens and new earth, both of which are plainly detailed in Revelation 20-22.

Incredibly, this doctrine dares to suggest that we are already living in the Millennium; in fact, we’ve been supposedly living in it since the resurrection of Christ! Tell me, does it seem like Jesus has been reigning on earth for the last two thousand years? Does it appear like the devil has been bound up in the Abyss since Jesus’ resurrection in the 1st century? Of course not, the teaching is simply unbiblical and no sound student of the Scriptures would embrace the doctrine by simply reading the bible.

Even more incredible, Amillennialism teaches that we are simultaneously in both the Millennium and the 7-year Tribulation (!), the latter of which is chronicled in Revelation 6-19. Augustine’s reasoning was that the number 7 is symbolic and represents the period of time from the death/resurrection of Christ to his Second Coming. For those not in the know, the Tribulation is the 7-year period at the end of this age where God’s wrath will be poured out on the Earth wherein one quarter of the planet’s populace will perish followed by one-third of the rest (Revelation 6:8 & Revelation 9:18). Needless to say, no such calamity of this scope has happened since the ascension of Christ. Why? Simple: We’re not in the Tribulation as Amillennialism claims.

The only way Amillennialism can be accepted and perpetuated is by persuading Christian disciples through indoctrination in church or cemetery, I mean seminary. I repeat, believers would never see Amillennialism or accept it by merely reading/studying their Bibles. However, once disciples accept the idea that Amillennialism is unquestionable orthodoxy their studies of the scriptures will naturally be tainted and biased by their acceptance of this false doctrine; in other words, they’ll read the scriptures pre-supposing Amillennialism to be true, not freely or at face value, as is natural.

By contrast, when one studies the Bible free of such presuppositions, taking it simply for what it says, it isn’t difficult to see the error of Amillennialism.

The word ‘orthodox’ literally means “correct view.” What we determine to be orthodox Christian beliefs must be clearly and consistently taught in Scripture. In other words, if a doctrine is truly orthodox – that is, a “correct view” essential to Christian truth – it shouldn’t be necessary to engage in bizarre theological mumbo jumbo to prove its authenticity, like “spiritualizing” plain-as-day passages, which is what has to be done in order to “prove” Amillennialism.

The only way people who support Amillennialism can justify this doctrine is by convincing people that the Bible doesn’t really mean what it clearly says, which is that there will be a 7-year Tribulation period at the end of this age, then the devil will be bound up for a thousand years while Jesus Christ reigns on earth assisted by the resurrected saints (Revelation 20:1-6). To prove these plain truths one doesn’t have to resort to unjustified “spiritualizing” of the Scriptures, as is the case with Amillennialism. These truths can be discovered or proven simply by freely reading the Bible unhindered by foreign presuppositions.

How did a doctrine like Amillennialism come to be considered Christian orthodoxy when it’s so clearly unscriptural? The reason is that there’s another basis besides Holy Scripture used to determine the content of orthodoxy, and that is tradition. When people speak of Christian tradition they’re usually referring to religious literature, creeds and councils from the Patristic Age, or “late antiquity,” which extended from the 4th to the 8th centuries and includes Augustine’s advocacy of Amillennialism, as well as other errors. Augustine was the most prominent and influential “Church father” of this period. Christian tradition is also derived from other eras, including the later medieval, Reformation and post-Reformation eras. The very fact that Christian tradition is historically cumulative testifies that the worldwide invisible Church is in an ongoing state of reform; in other words, Christendom is not in bondage to historical tradition.

For important details on Amillennialism compared with the other views of the Millennium see this article by David Reagan, which features helpful diagrams. It contains vital information every believer should know about end-time events as prophesied in the Scriptures.

Why Am I Coming Down So Hard On Amillennialism?

Answer: Not just because Amillennialism is so grossly unscriptural, but because of the immense damage it has done to the body of Christ and our understanding of eschatology ever since it was concocted. (Eschatology, if you’re not aware, is the biblical study of end times events). For instance, to this day genuine believers all over the globe believe that when a person dies he/she either goes to Heaven to sit on a cloud playing a harp forever or goes to Hell to eternally roast in fiery torment. That’s it. If you think either of these is wholly true then Amillennialism has had a negative impact on YOU. Unfortunately, most unbelievers think this is what the Bible actually teaches; and most unseasoned believers as well. Why? Because of Augustine’s false doctrine of Amillennialism and the Roman Church’s official embracing of it in 431 AD at the Council of Ephesus. http://fountainoflifetm.com/2019/03/11/amillennialism-what-is-it-whats-wrong-with-it/

Thankfully, as with any erroneous belief, the truth will set us free (John 8:31-32).

The promised literal kingdom on earth—David’s—was what James and John’s mother referred to in Matthew 20:21. And just before Christ ascended to Heaven after His resurrection, this kingdom was still on the minds of the disciples when they asked, “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” Notice that the Lord didn’t ridicule them by asking something like, “Where did you ever get an idea like that?” No, it was legitimate for them to believe that this earthly kingdom would take place. Rather, He simply reminded them that it was not for them to know exactly when; that was God’s business. They were to concentrate on obeying the Great Commission after Jesus was gone to Heaven and on occupying until He returned, just as we believers still have the responsibility to do today.

Christ’s literal kingdom was prophesied in Jeremiah 23: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, that I will raise to David a Branch of righteousness; a King shall reign and prosper, and execute judgment and righteousness in the earth. In His days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell safely; now this is His name by which He will be called: THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS” (vv. 5, 6). This is a promise, and it has yet to come to pass. If prophetic passages like these do not mean Christ’s millennial (1,000-year) reign, they are meaningless.

hope this helps !!!

tradition ---

the ot fathers rejected what God said to His prophets
to, also, follow their traditions instead

One of the major reasons why the Amillennialist view became so pervasive is the general lack of access to Scripture. You have to remember that Scripture only existed as hand written copies through out history until the invention of the printing press. And as the Roman Church became ever more powerful, they actively restricted personal access to Scripture for centuries. The only form of interpretation was that which the Roman Church leadership wanted to espouse. In addition, the Amillennialist view developed because it was the natural outcome if one did not want to put the Roman Church is a bad light. Afterall, connecting the anti-christ to the historical fact of the Roman destruction of Jerusalem would not be tolerated.

It's only after Scripture became more available with the printing press do you see development of literal interpretations of the 70 Weeks prophecy and the connections to Revelation. However, even they were shackled from truly getting to the proper understanding. It's called "Reformation" for a reason. The Western church is still at its foundation based on the tradition of Roman Church dogma for a great many things.

We can critique the Amillennial view as not based on an accurate understanding of Scripture. But even prophetic interpretations after the Reformation have major issues. When I evaluate why the true interpretation and understanding has not been made known until just recently, it's for 3 main reasons - there's probably more.
1. prophecy was sealed until the time of the end. God did not want it to be understood until recently.

2. the most used and influential Bible translation has certain interpretation biases in the text which forces readers to come to a particular set of interpretations. This is probably the biggest stumbling block out there. But anyone with an open mind can see for themselves. The KJV places capital letters and punctuation where the original Hebrew text does not have any. The Hebrew language does not have capital letters or punctuation. So when the KJV does this - by definition - it has sealed in their particular prophetic bias - for 400 years now.

3. most Christians in the west are still tied to Roman Church tradition which keeps their minds blocked from some important truths in Scripture and they deny Jesus is the Messiah without them knowing. Good Friday is celebrated everywhere. This does not provide for 3 days and 3 nights for Jesus to be in the tomb before He resurrected. That is what he specifically stated many multiple times during His ministry. A Good Friday tradition denies the very words of Christ Himself. Unless there is a proper cultural understanding of the timeline of the crucifixion it will never lead to a proper understanding of the 70 Weeks Prophecy - the most important prophetic passage which all prophetic interpretation is tied to.

One of the major reasons why the Amillennialist view became so pervasive is the general lack of access to Scripture. You have to remember that Scripture only existed as hand written copies through out history until the invention of the printing press. And as the Roman Church became ever more powerful, they actively restricted personal access to Scripture for centuries. The only form of interpretation was that which the Roman Church leadership wanted to espouse. In addition, the Amillennialist view developed because it was the natural outcome if one did not want to put the Roman Church is a bad light. Afterall, connecting the anti-christ to the historical fact of the Roman destruction of Jerusalem would not be tolerated.

It's only after Scripture became more available with the printing press do you see development of literal interpretations of the 70 Weeks prophecy and the connections to Revelation. However, even they were shackled from truly getting to the proper understanding. It's called "Reformation" for a reason. The Western church is still at its foundation based on the tradition of Roman Church dogma for a great many things.

We can critique the Amillennial view as not based on an accurate understanding of Scripture. But even prophetic interpretations after the Reformation have major issues. When I evaluate why the true interpretation and understanding has not been made known until just recently, it's for 3 main reasons - there's probably more.
1. prophecy was sealed until the time of the end. God did not want it to be understood until recently.

2. the most used and influential Bible translation has certain interpretation biases in the text which forces readers to come to a particular set of interpretations. This is probably the biggest stumbling block out there. But anyone with an open mind can see for themselves. The KJV places capital letters and punctuation where the original Hebrew text does not have any. The Hebrew language does not have capital letters or punctuation. So when the KJV does this - by definition - it has sealed in their particular prophetic bias - for 400 years now.

3. most Christians in the west are still tied to Roman Church tradition which keeps their minds blocked from some important truths in Scripture and they deny Jesus is the Messiah without them knowing. Good Friday is celebrated everywhere. This does not provide for 3 days and 3 nights for Jesus to be in the tomb before He resurrected. That is what he specifically stated many multiple times during His ministry. A Good Friday tradition denies the very words of Christ Himself. Unless there is a proper cultural understanding of the timeline of the crucifixion it will never lead to a proper understanding of the 70 Weeks Prophecy - the most important prophetic passage which all prophetic interpretation is tied to.
Excellent points !!!

Yes I agree its not an easy thing to do putting the pieces of the puzzle together. I was really into eschatology in the 80's early 90's. Now I think the most important thing is to be ready for His 2nd Coming which Jesus taught in many of His parables. being prepared doing the Lords work for He will come at a time/hour when least expected like a thief in the night who catches you off-guard.
I feel the same way. There's just so many, many unusual claims that were made along the way. Jesus will come back before 1988, even a book 88 reasons why he will....then many more variations of the same....at times I just feel it's good to be ready for when he comes anytime. And so many get caught up on the years or years time frame and fail to appreciate the drive and passion one is to get from believing he's coming back. They're just delighting some in date setting.

But he said be ready for his coming and I like what 2 Pt 3 states seeing all things will be dissolved as it's said by fire what manner of persons ought we to be in living in holiness. It's all meant to motivate us to set our priorities straight and be sober about doing so. Or to put it another way they should let end time knowledge do what it's supposed to do and give one a good sense of the fear of the Lord , in other words be ready and MAKE SURE that one is. We need to let it all change our lives and not just let it be a win to us that we pat ourselves on the back for our ingenuity in figuring all things out.

Back
Top Bottom