Who is Jesus?

Samson

I have a lot of questions about Jesus and the bible answers them all. Who do you say he is?

Who is the seed (offspring) of the woman who crushes the head of Satan?

Who is the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob that will eventually bless all nations?

Who is the “prophet like Moses” of whom God says, “You must listen to him”?

Who is the one crucified?

Who is the child that is God and will have an everlasting kingdom?

Who was crushed and pierced for our transgressions? Upon whom did the Lord lay the iniquity of all mankind?

Who is the righteous Branch, the wise King, who will be called “the Lord our righteousness”?
Who is the “Anointed One” to be “cut off” after 483 years?

Who is the one who is eternal, who will be the ruler over Israel, who is born in Bethlehem Ephrathah?

Who is Jehovah, “the one they have pierced,” for whom Jerusalem and all the nation of Israel will weep and mourn?

No one can deny that the Bible itself claims to be the unique revelation of God: “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work”2 Timothy 3:16-17

I have a lot of questions about Jesus and the bible answers them all. Who do you say he is?

Who is the seed (offspring) of the woman who crushes the head of Satan?

Who is the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob that will eventually bless all nations?

Who is the “prophet like Moses” of whom God says, “You must listen to him”?

Who is the one crucified?

Who is the child that is God and will have an everlasting kingdom?

Who was crushed and pierced for our transgressions? Upon whom did the Lord lay the iniquity of all mankind?

Who is the righteous Branch, the wise King, who will be called “the Lord our righteousness”?
Who is the “Anointed One” to be “cut off” after 483 years?

Who is the one who is eternal, who will be the ruler over Israel, who is born in Bethlehem Ephrathah?

Who is Jehovah, “the one they have pierced,” for whom Jerusalem and all the nation of Israel will weep and mourn?

No one can deny that the Bible itself claims to be the unique revelation of God: “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work”2 Timothy 3:16-17
He's my king. When Jesus is called “King of kings and Lord of lords,” it means that, in the end, all other rulers will be conquered or abolished, and He alone will reign supreme as King and Lord of all the earth. There is no power, no king, and no lord who can oppose Him and win.

And through Him we are more than conquerors... through Christ Jesus my King

Then apparently you don't have a lot of questions at all.
Hold your horses Bob... I'm just getting warmed up. Okay what about Creeds? Do they teach us about Jesus?

The word creed is from the Latin word credo, meaning “I believe.” Creeds are simple summaries of beliefs. A creed should give you a basic idea about your belief in Jesus. Let's find out what this one:

The Apostles’ Creed is perhaps the oldest and most widely accepted Christian creed. Though it is called the Apostles’ Creed, the apostles did not write it. In fact, no one knows for certain exactly when this creed was written. It is called the Apostles’ Creed because it summarizes the teachings of the apostles passed on to believers.

I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died and was buried; he descended into hell;
on the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty;
from there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

The catholic church part Isn't exactly my cup of tea. But the rest of it teaches you about Jesus.

Hold your horses Bob... I'm just getting warmed up. Okay what about Creeds? Do they teach us about Jesus?
No they're just "Theology". Mostly accurate Biblically, but NOT God's WORD

The catholic church part Isn't exactly my cup of tea. But the rest of it teaches you about Jesus.
The one true church IS "catholic" (universal). it's the Catholic (capital "C") religious system that's the problem.

Good question and the bible does give us the answer.

Luke 9:20 "But what about you?" Jesus asked. "Who do you say I am?" Peter answered, "The Christ of God."

Good question and the bible does give us the answer.

Luke 9:20 "But what about you?" Jesus asked. "Who do you say I am?" Peter answered, "The Christ of God."
Thanks jay.

In response to Peter’s declaration, Jesus expresses the blessedness of his faith: “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven” (Matthew 16:17). God, in His grace, had opened the disciples’ eyes to see Jesus for who He truly was.

I've noticed a lot of different religions have a different opinion of who Jesus is.

Defective Christology. Most Christian-based religions distort Christ by compromising His deity . . . . Jehovahs Witnesses teach that Jesus was a created being the archangel Michael prior to His human birth . . . . Mormons deny the virgin birth; Jehovahs Witnesses and Armstrongs Worldwide Church of God, the bodily resurrection

Defective Christology. Those who believe in an unbiblical Jesus will usually deny the true Deity of Christ, or the true humanity of Jesus. Some, such as Mormons, deny the virgin birth. They say that God the Father had sexual relations with Mary. I John 4:1-3 gives a scriptural litmus test for false teachers.

Among the most common feature of these religions is a defective view of Christ. Defective views of Christ are not new, they go back to the early days of the church. One of the apostle Paul's principal reasons for writing his letter to the Colossian Church was to combat an heretical view of Christ that was being taught there. During the second century the church had to battle against the heresy of Gnosticism, which denied the true humanity of Christ. In the fourth century the church battled against the Arian heresy which denied the true deity of Christ.

Most modern day non Christian religious systems follow in the footsteps of their predecessors. For example, the Jehovah's Witnesses are simply a modern version of the Arian heresy in the early church. Like the Arians of the fourth century, the Jehovah's Witnesses deny that the Son is co-eternal with the Father. Like the Arians, the Jehovah's Witnesses regard the Son as being created by the Father. Christian Science is another religion which has a defective view of Jesus Christ. They do not believe in the existence of matter - to them the material world is an illusion. So according to their teaching Jesus Christ did not have a real body. In this they repeat the same heresy of the Gnostics, who denied the real humanity of Christ. The Mormons also have a very defective view of Christ in that, they regard Jesus Christ the first-born among the spirit children of God. They do not believe that Jesus is the eternal Son of God. Rather they regard Him as the offspring of a mortal mother and an immortal father.

A Defective Christology

"Who is Jesus Christ?" This is the most important question a person can ever ask. Our deepest joys on earth and hope of eternal life rest upon our answer to that question. Because this is so, the primary activity of Satan must surely be to obscure as much as possible the true nature and work of the Lord Jesus Christ. Satan knows that an improper or incomplete understanding of the person and work of Christ makes salvation impossible.

Early heresies such as Cerinthianism denied the humanity of Christ (John 1:14; 1 John 1:1-3; 4:1-3). Arianism denied the deity of Christ (John 1:1, 8:58). Others denied the union of his two natures in one person. Gnosticism taught that there were many spiritual levels and mediators between earth and heaven of which Jesus was merely one (Colossians 1:16, 2:3-23). Most non Christian religious systems today follow in one of these errors. The most insidious types which insist on extra-biblical revelations and esoteric and mystical experiences of God are simply the children of the Gnostics.

The central doctrine of Christianity is Christology, the doctrine of the nature of the person of Jesus Christ as revealed in space-time history. Any teaching that compromises the humanity or deity of Christ and His uniqueness as the only God-man, destroys the efficacy of the atonement, the work of Christ on the cross, and thereby the basis of the gospel.

Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the life. No once comes to the Father but by me." (John 14:6). If Jesus was not fully God and fully human, he had no authority to say so. John 1:14 tells us that Jesus was "full of truth." In John 1:18 we are told that no one has ever seen God, but the unique Son "has made Him known." Anything after the words of Jesus Christ would be anticlimactical, a descent from the mountain top of revelation. Jesus was the only one qualified to reveal to humanity the truth about God. Jesus perfectly fulfilled that mission (John 17:6-8,14).

In the closing days of the earthly ministry of Christ, he took the Apostles aside to prepare them for His departure. The narrative in John 14:7-10 is very instructive in helping us to discern the error many cults make with regard to the sufficiency of Christ's revelation of God. To comfort His disciples Jesus reminds them that through Him, they now knew the Father and had seen Him. But Philip was not satisfied. He begs for one glimpse of the Father (John 14:8) believing this would suffice. He may have felt that they had not quite got as close as Moses who got to see the back of Almighty God. If only he could have a similar experience. But notice that Jesus was clearly distressed by Philip's request.

"Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?" (John 14:9)

Philip's search for something more, a deeper revelation of God than Jesus had given was an insult to Jesus, and received a rebuke. How could a vision of God be more thrilling than to talk with God's Son? In the words of Jesus Christ we have the full revelation of the Father's will. Everything Jesus had learned from the Father, He had made known to them, and through them to us (John 15:15, 16:12-15). To believe that the revelation of Christ in Scripture is insufficient is to hold a defective Christology.

It cannot be overstated that biblical doctrine, that is, what we understand about the way God has revealed Himself in history and supremely in Jesus Christ is of vital importance in perpetuating orthodox Christianity and withstanding heresy

hope this helps !!!

Jesus asked that question ( who do people say that I Am ? ) and lets here the testimony of Jesus, the Apostles and scripture.

Jesus said He was the I Am who existed before Abraham was born. He says He is the Savior, Lord, Christ, The Alpha and Omega the First and the Last. The names and titles of YHWH for sure

John calls Him God, YHWH and true God in his writings

Peter call Him God and Savior in his writings

Jude calls Him the only Sovereign/Lord to the exclusion of all others.

Paul calls Him God, Lord, Lord over all, YHWH in his writings

Thomas called Him God.

Now the question remains today? Can you confess like those above that Jesus is YHWH(God) ?

If not then you deny the Son. Remember Jesus also said those who deny the Son the Father will also deny !

Lets see what the Apostles who were inspired by God to record in Scripture

Matthew
Matthew said He was Immanuel, God with us- Matthew 1:23

John
John said the Word was God and the Word became flesh John 1:1,14
John said Jesus is the True God and Eternal Life- 1 John 5:20
John said Jesus is the I AM ( YHWH) the Alpha and Omega, The First and the Last- Revelation 22:12-13
John said Jesus is the Lord God Almighty, the Alpha and Omega- Revelation 1:8

Thomas
Thomas said Jesus was His Lord and His God- John 20:28

Peter
Peter said Jesus is our God and Savior- 2 Peter 1:1

James
James said Jesus is the Lord that elders call upon to heal the sick- James 5:14
James said the Prophets spoke in His name YHWH- James 5:10

Jude
Jude said He is YHWH, the Only Sovereign and Lord- Jude 1:4
Jude said Jesus is the Lord( YHWH) who delivered his people out of Egypt- Jude 1:8

Paul
Paul says Jesus is our God and Savior- Titus 2:13
Paul says Jesus is YHWH( Lord)- Romans 10:13 and Joel 2:32
Paul says all the fulness of Deity ( God ) dwells in Him Bodily- Colossians 1:19, 2:9

Author of Hebrews
He said Jesus is the Creator who is YHWH that made everything and called Him God- Hebrews 1:8-10

Jesus
Jesus said He is the I Am ( YHWH)- John 8:58
Jesus said he who has seen Me has seen the Father- John 14:9
Jesus said He was EQUAL with the Father- John 5:17-18

So my question is since all these who were inspired to write these TRUTHS down concerning the Person of Christ, why do people not share this with others ?

Why do people in the church not share this with others when they witness ?

Why are people afraid to tell others who the REAL JESUS is ? God Incarnate

No one can say Jesus is LORD (YHWH) except by the Spirit !

hope this helps !!!

Jesus asked that question ( who do people say that I Am ? ) and lets here the testimony of Jesus, the Apostles and scripture.

Jesus said He was the I Am who existed before Abraham was born. He says He is the Savior, Lord, Christ, The Alpha and Omega the First and the Last. The names and titles of YHWH for sure

John calls Him God, YHWH and true God in his writings

Peter call Him God and Savior in his writings

Jude calls Him the only Sovereign/Lord to the exclusion of all others.

Paul calls Him God, Lord, Lord over all, YHWH in his writings

Thomas called Him God.

Now the question remains today? Can you confess like those above that Jesus is YHWH(God) ?

If not then you deny the Son. Remember Jesus also said those who deny the Son the Father will also deny !

Lets see what the Apostles who were inspired by God to record in Scripture

Matthew
Matthew said He was Immanuel, God with us- Matthew 1:23

John
John said the Word was God and the Word became flesh John 1:1,14
John said Jesus is the True God and Eternal Life- 1 John 5:20
John said Jesus is the I AM ( YHWH) the Alpha and Omega, The First and the Last- Revelation 22:12-13
John said Jesus is the Lord God Almighty, the Alpha and Omega- Revelation 1:8

Thomas
Thomas said Jesus was His Lord and His God- John 20:28

Peter
Peter said Jesus is our God and Savior- 2 Peter 1:1

James
James said Jesus is the Lord that elders call upon to heal the sick- James 5:14
James said the Prophets spoke in His name YHWH- James 5:10

Jude
Jude said He is YHWH, the Only Sovereign and Lord- Jude 1:4
Jude said Jesus is the Lord( YHWH) who delivered his people out of Egypt- Jude 1:8

Paul
Paul says Jesus is our God and Savior- Titus 2:13
Paul says Jesus is YHWH( Lord)- Romans 10:13 and Joel 2:32
Paul says all the fulness of Deity ( God ) dwells in Him Bodily- Colossians 1:19, 2:9

Author of Hebrews
He said Jesus is the Creator who is YHWH that made everything and called Him God- Hebrews 1:8-10

Jesus
Jesus said He is the I Am ( YHWH)- John 8:58
Jesus said he who has seen Me has seen the Father- John 14:9
Jesus said He was EQUAL with the Father- John 5:17-18

So my question is since all these who were inspired to write these TRUTHS down concerning the Person of Christ, why do people not share this with others ?

Why do people in the church not share this with others when they witness ?

Why are people afraid to tell others who the REAL JESUS is ? God Incarnate

No one can say Jesus is LORD (YHWH) except by the Spirit !

hope this helps !!!
This will definitely help me in my study for Jesus in the bible. I'm thinking the bible is all about Jesus. From " In the beginning" to “Surely I am coming soon.”

This is good to know. If we abide in Christ we do not live in sin.

6 No one who abides in him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him. 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who does right is righteous, as he is righteous. 8 He who commits sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one born of God commits sin; for God’s nature abides in him, and he cannot sin because he is born of God. 10 By this it may be seen who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not do right is not of God, nor he who does not love his brother.
1 John 3:6–10

There is no sin in Jesus, no one who abides in Him keeps on sinning. In fact, if one does continue in a pattern or practice of sin, another logical and necessary conclusion must be drawn: “everyone who sins [keeps on sinning] has not seen Him or known Him” in a personal, saving relationship. John’s theology is flawless.

If the sinless Son of God appeared in history to take away sin, how is it possible to abide in Him and sin at the same time? The answer is, you can’t. It is impossible.

Some have understood verses 6 and 9 to affirm sinless perfection in this life. This, however, would contradict what John said in 1:8, 10. No, the use of the present tense verb in verses 6 and 9 help us see what John is saying. Because of the new birth, we have a new nature.

Because Christ has taken away our sins, we have a new liberty and freedom. Sin no longer dominates us or enslaves us. Sin is no longer the character and conduct of my life. Because I now abide in Christ and in the power of His person and work in the gospel, I may fall into sin, but I will not walk in sin. Sin will not be my habit; it will not be my normal practice. I no longer love sin; I hate sin. I no longer delight in sin; I despise sin.

In my union with Christ, which is another way of saying abiding in Christ, I have experienced a definite and decisive break with sin. It no longer rules me. Christ does! I've been set free.

A life of living in sin and living in the Savior is an oxymoron. It does not make sense. It is spiritually absurd.

"Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?" (John 14:9)
John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."
do not "any time" include John 14:9?

101G

What does John 1:18 mean?​

This is another statement affirming Jesus' divinity in the gospel of John, and it reinforces the third of seven names: "the Son of God."

Here, "seeing God" is meant in a physical, literal sense of perceiving God the Father, in person, with one's eyes. God chose to reveal Himself in certain forms in the past (Genesis 18:1; Hebrews 1:1–2), but He is essentially a Spirit (John 4:24). The gospel of John describes Jesus as the "Word" of God, using the Greek word logos. Jesus is the message, or the definition, of God. Words are tangible symbols of ideas, both for our eyes and our ears.

The fact that God came in human form is critical. Jesus is a human being who experiences our struggles (Hebrews 4:15); He is one to whom we can relate. Jesus is a message from God, in a language we all understand: relationship. Jesus explains God to us in a way we could never understand otherwise.

John also repeats the claim that Jesus is God. The Greek term monogenēs is used here as well as in John 1:14, John 3:16, and John 3:18, translated as "only" in the ESV. Other translations use words such as "one and only" or "only begotten" or "unique." This means Jesus is of the exact same "stuff" as God the Father (Hebrews 1:3). BibleRef.

Here, "seeing God" is meant in a physical, literal sense of perceiving God the Father, in person, with one's eyes. God chose to reveal Himself in certain forms in the past (Genesis 18:1; Hebrews 1:1–2), but He is essentially a Spirit (John 4:24). The gospel of John describes Jesus as the "Word" of God, using the Greek word logos. Jesus is the message, or the definition, of God. Words are tangible symbols of ideas, both for our eyes and our ears.
Good, is not there ONLY one Spirit... correct?...... scripture, Philippians 2:6 "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:" and God is a, a, a, Spirit, per John 4:24a. so, in Philippians 2:6 is this two Spirits? of course not. so it's the same one Person in the ECHAD of ordinal first, and ordinal Last. in TIME, ORDER, PLACE, and RANK.

101G

The doctrine of the Trinity is a major distinguishing feature of Christianity which sets it apart from these other religions. On the one hand, it clearly distinguishes Christianity from the strongly monotheistic religions such as Judaism and Islam. On the other hand, it separates Christianity from polytheistic and pantheistic religions such as the Eastern religions. Thus, it is especially important in our time.

The doctrine of the Trinity is also of great importance because it is intimately connected with the Christian’s salvation. Traditionally, Christians have believed that salvation, involving forgiveness of sin and reception of new life, is possible because the second person of the Godhead took on human form without giving up his deity. In this incarnate form he bore the sins of humans as their substitute. Thus he was able to present to the Father the perfect sacrifice for human sin, on the basis of which the Father then forgave their sins and the Holy Spirit conferred new life. If the doctrine of the Trinity is not true, then the understanding of salvation must be modified.

Further, our view on this doctrine affects our views of other doctrines. If the Godhead does not consist of three persons equally divine and yet inseparably one, we must redefine one or more of those persons.

Jesus may not be fully God, or if he is, he is a lesser deity than is the Father.

The Holy Spirit is in some sense inferior to both the Father and the Son.

The doctrine of the atonement is modified as well. Instead of a voluntary self-sacrifice by a member of the Godhead, it is something imposed on a human by God, and thus contains an element of injustice.

This is why it's important to understand The doctrine of the Trinity.

The doctrine of the Trinity is a major distinguishing feature of Christianity which sets it apart from these other religions. On the one hand, it clearly distinguishes Christianity from the strongly monotheistic religions such as Judaism and Islam. On the other hand, it separates Christianity from polytheistic and pantheistic religions such as the Eastern religions. Thus, it is especially important in our time.
101G disagree. yes, the trinity is more polythetic than any of all religions.
The doctrine of the Trinity is also of great importance because it is intimately connected with the Christian’s salvation. Traditionally, Christians have believed that salvation, involving forgiveness of sin and reception of new life, is possible because the second person of the Godhead took on human form without giving up his deity.
if that's true, 101G have a question. "How much of the ONE Spirit was G2758 κενόω kenoo (ke-no-ō') according to Phil. 2:7...... because he is "EQUAL WITH GOD" in verse 6.

Further, our view on this doctrine affects our views of other doctrines. If the Godhead does not consist of three persons equally divine and yet inseparably one, we must redefine one or more of those persons.
agreed, for here is one to redefine. Isaiah 44:24. he was "ALONE" and "BY HIMSELF" when he MADE ALL THINGS. which is the Son who made ALL THINGS per John 1:3

101G

Back
Top Bottom