What's Love Got To Do With It?

Grace ambassador

Precious friends, please be Very Richly Encouraged and Edified:

"Start talking about love, and many men are ready to look for the TV remote or some other form
of exit from the conversation. That’s because when it comes to the concept of love, even the love
described in the Bible, many people associate it with feelings, and men generally don’t like talking
about feelings. But is love a feeling?

I do not believe love, biblically speaking, is a feeling. Instead, love is a critical doctrine of Scripture
and is of such importance that it seems inconceivable that such a great doctrine would be rested
upon emotion.

The Bible emphasizes the idea of love as an act of selflessness and sacrifice. It teaches that true
love goes beyond fleeting emotions and requires intentional commitment. Love, from a biblical
standpoint, involves purposely showing kindness, compassion, and forgiveness toward others,
regardless of how our feelings are at the moment. Many marriages have needlessly ended under
the excuse, 'I don’t love him/her anymore.'

''I am persuaded that love and humility are the highest attainments in the school of Christ
and the brightest evidences that He is indeed our Master.'' —John Newton

What is Love?

Love might seem simple enough to define, but trying to do so in one sentence or even
one paragraph is as futile as trying to describe God in such a limited space. No “law of first
mention” could be used to describe God or love. If, as that great hymn says,

'The love of God is greater far than tongue or pen can ever tell.
It goes beyond the highest star, and reaches to the lowest hell.'​

...“The love of God is greater far than tongue or pen can ever tell. It goes
beyond the highest star, and reaches to the lowest hell.”

...then indeed, any chance at understanding love requires the whole Scripture. Paul’s prayer for
the Ephesians was that they

“May be able to comprehend… And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge”​
(Eph. 3:18,19).​

If God is love (cf. 1 John 4:8,16; 2 Cor. 13:11), then it follows that we must know God to know love.
Thus, love should only be understood in the same way that God should be understood, and that’s
through the complete revelation that God gave us of Himself, and that requires the entire Bible..."
(D Hosfeld)

Full study (about 5 more pages):

-----------------------------------
LOVINGkindness Of Christ.png
Amen.

Love has everything to do with it. 1st Corinthians 13
I think love is an essential attribute of God. The Bible makes it clear that “God is love”

He who does not love has not become acquainted with God [does not and never did know Him], for God is love.
9 In this the love of God was made manifest (displayed) where we are concerned: in that God sent His Son, the only begotten or unique [Son], into the world so that we might live through Him.
10 In this is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation (the atoning sacrifice) for our sins.
11 Beloved, if God loved us so [very much], we also ought to love one another.
1 John 4:8–11

He isn't just loving, but he is the very definition of love.

The Bible emphasizes the idea of love as an act of selflessness and sacrifice. It teaches that true
love goes beyond fleeting emotions and requires intentional commitment. Love, from a biblical
standpoint, involves purposely showing kindness, compassion, and forgiveness toward others,
regardless of how our feelings are at the moment. Many marriages have needlessly ended under
I'm glad this thread was brought back up for I just saw something.

That statement above "I don't love them any more" as an excuse to depart from a marriage.

Maybe the question needs to be asked are you then going to stop being a loving person now? What I mean is this....THAT PERSON went into marriage with them in good faith that the other would love them and be committed to them all the days of their life. What does that make you then if you pull away from it......not a loving person for a lovely person keeps their commitments and agreements. And I think the way God looks at it IS NOT whether you feel ;the passion of a relationship but rather ARE YOU GOING TO BE A COVENANT BREAKER OR NOT. If you are that's not a loving type of person.

I think love is an essential attribute of God. The Bible makes it clear that “God is love”

He who does not love has not become acquainted with God [does not and never did know Him], for God is love.
9 In this the love of God was made manifest (displayed) where we are concerned: in that God sent His Son, the only begotten or unique [Son], into the world so that we might live through Him.
10 In this is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation (the atoning sacrifice) for our sins.
11 Beloved, if God loved us so [very much], we also ought to love one another.
1 John 4:8–11

He isn't just loving, but he is the very definition of love.
Right on!
God is love. The Bible plainly declares that to us—not just in the explicit words of 1 John 4:8 (“God is love”) but also in literally thousands of ways throughout God’s Word.

As J. I. Packer says, “To know God’s love is indeed heaven on earth.”

But it gets even better as seen in John 14:3 "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also."

I'm glad this thread was brought back up for I just saw something.

That statement above "I don't love them any more" as an excuse to depart from a marriage.

Maybe the question needs to be asked are you then going to stop being a loving person now? What I mean is this....THAT PERSON went into marriage with them in good faith that the other would love them and be committed to them all the days of their life. What does that make you then if you pull away from it......not a loving person for a lovely person keeps their commitments and agreements. And I think the way God looks at it IS NOT whether you feel ;the passion of a relationship but rather ARE YOU GOING TO BE A COVENANT BREAKER OR NOT. If you are that's not a loving type of person.
Please allow me to throw in my two cents. But I believe that once you love someone... truly love them... you never stop loving them. Love never fails. I think other emotions can come into play that can make us ignore our true feeling of love for someone. But I also think that can be overcome and reconciled. That's what counselors are for. Especially the Holy Spirit.

The first communicable attribute is the one I like the best. this means that we share that characteristic with God—is that God is love: “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love” 1 John 4:8

The Lord appeared from of old to me [Israel], saying, Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore with loving-kindness have I drawn you and continued My faithfulness to you. Jer 31:3

For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life. John 3:16

I give you a new commandment: that you should love one another. Just as I have loved you, so you too should love one another.
John 13:34.

Because of human rebellion and sin, God could justly destroy us. Yet, because of his love, God has extended his grace and forgiveness to us. His love for us—and the love we see in the Godhead, among the persons of the Trinity—is an example of how to love: “We love because he first loved us” 1 John 4:19

God’s love is best seen in Jesus: “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were sinners, Christ died for us” Romans 5:8

I think we can be obedient because we love God. When we're saved and become one of God's kids we love him and desire to be obedient because we want to please him. For as 1 John 4:19 tells us, “we love because he first loved us.” It is the effectual love of God that first changes our hearts in order to make us capable of love, and it is His example of love that reminds us again and again of our need to love other people.

So love and obedience go hand in hand.

I think we can be obedient because we love God. When we're saved and become one of God's kids we love him and desire to be obedient because we want to please him. For as 1 John 4:19 tells us, “we love because he first loved us.” It is the effectual love of God that first changes our hearts in order to make us capable of love, and it is His example of love that reminds us again and again of our need to love other people.

So love and obedience go hand in hand.
Lots of people find it hard to understand why God loves like he does. Enough to die for us on a cross.

Last edited:
You got to love the way Jesus puts it.
Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples. John 13:35

The Pharisee who tested Jesus did not ask about the "two greatest commandments." He asked for Jesus' take on which was the single greatest (Matthew 22:34–38). Jesus, though, decides the second commandment is so essential that it must be mentioned along with the first one.

Both commands focus solely on what a person does with his or her affection and attention and actions. The greatest command is to love God with every aspect of our being. It comes from Deuteronomy 6:5. The second greatest commandment comes from Leviticus 19:18. Jesus says that it is similar to the first commandment, likely because it is about who and how we love: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

The second greatest commandment assumes an obvious fact of human nature: that human beings naturally love and care for themselves. This perspective is the basis for what has come to be known as the Golden Rule. Jesus taught this in His sermon on the mount (Matthew 5:1–2), and it helps to explain what it means to love another as we love ourselves: "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them" (Matthew 7:12).

This first and second commandment were woven deeply into Judaism and Jewish life. It's unlikely that anyone was greatly surprised by Jesus' answer to what is the greatest commandment, but the fact that He gave it makes the answer meaningful for all time. bibleref.com

~
There's more than one Greek word translated "love" in the New Testament.

Jas 2:8 . . If you really keep the royal law found in scripture, "Love your neighbor
as yourself," you are doing right.

The Greek word for "love" in that passage is agapao (ag-ap-ah'-o) which isn't
necessarily an affectionate kind of love but does always speak of benevolence;
defined by Webster's as acts of kindness. In other words; agapao expresses itself
by civility; which even an insensitive clod can exemplify by simply opening a door
for someone, or letting moms and senior citizens go ahead into an elevator, or
holding one's tongue in check instead of attacking someone with biting sarcasm,
ugly remarks, and/or toxic rejoinders.

Agapao is the word for love in John 3:16, which says.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever
believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

In other words: agapao doesn't mean God likes you. But though people thoroughly
disgust God, make Him sick to His tummy, get on His nerves, provoke Him to anger,
and are so bad they even make Him regret creating people in the first place; God
pities the human condition and remains inclined to help folks avoid being slammed
with divine retribution.

Agapao is the most common word for love in the New Testament and is also the
easiest to exemplify. This next love is very different.

John 11:3 . . So the sisters sent word to Jesus: "Lord, the one you love is sick."

The Greek word for love in that verse is phileo (fil-eh'-o) which is an affectionate
kind of love, i.e. the kind that forms bonds and attachments, for example:

John 5:20 . . For the Father loves the Son

And:

John 16:27 . . .The Father himself loves you.

When folks get beyond John 3:16 to the place where God is just as fond of them as
He is His son: they've obtained an enviable place in God's heart and all that such a
place entails.

Heb 13:5 . . Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.
_

"Start talking about love, and many men are ready to look for the TV remote or some other form
of exit from the conversation. That’s because when it comes to the concept of love, even the love
described in the Bible, many people associate it with feelings, and men generally don’t like talking

I do not believe love, biblically speaking, is a feeling. Instead, love is a critical doctrine of Scripture
and is of such importance that it seems inconceivable that such a great doctrine would be rested
upon emotion.
Correct-o-mundo.

''I am persuaded that love and humility are the highest attainments in the school of Christ

What is Love?

Love might seem simple enough to define, but trying to do so in one sentence or even
one paragraph is as futile as trying to describe God in such a limited space. No “law of first
Oh no, there is a verse in Scripture that encapsulates the love of God and God is love and it is found here:

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, John 3:16.

The word "loved" is a verb.

What is a verb?

It is a word used to describe an action, state, or occurrence, and forming the main part of the predicate of a sentence.

And what is a predicate?

It's the part of a sentence or clause containing a verb and stating something about the subject.

In this case "loved" is a verb and describes the action of a subject, who in this case the subject is God.

So, the definition of love is action. In John 3:16 God gave. Love is an action. Love is a verb. God so loved that He gave.

...then indeed, any chance at understanding love requires the whole Scripture. Paul’s prayer for

“May be able to comprehend… And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge”​

If God is love (cf. 1 John 4:8,16; 2 Cor. 13:11), then it follows that we must know God to know love.
Thus, love should only be understood in the same way that God should be understood, and that’s
through the complete revelation that God gave us of Himself, and that requires the entire Bible..."
(D Hosfeld)

Amen.
Now, the above I posted describes the love of God, but how is God's love where the objects of that love are concerned expressed?
Well, first, God expresses His love by giving, in this case the giving of His only begotten Son.
Second, as with everything in the economy of God love comes with doctrine. There is instruction given to those who are the objects of His love, and it is found in Leviticus the book of Holy. And since love is in the book of the Holy (Leviticus) then it's reasonable to conclude that as God is Holy so is His love.

In the book of Holy, God commands Moses to instruct the children of Jacob/Israel the following:

17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. 18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:17–18.

When this command was given the twelve tribes of Israel were situated by God around the Tabernacle in assigned encampments. Consider that God delivered over 3 million Hebrews out of Egypt. In the book of Numbers Balaam looked down into the Jordan valley from his perch atop a mountain and looking down into the valley said:

11 Behold, there is a people come out of Egypt, which covereth the face of the earth:
Numbers 22:11.

God situated three tribes to the north of the Tabernacle, three tribes to the south, three tribes to the east, and three tribes to the west of the Tabernacle.

Now, with this, here is the understanding of the command and instruction God gave Moses for the children of Israel:

17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother [member of the same tribe] in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour [member of another tribe living next to you], and not suffer sin upon him.
18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people [member of any tribe], but thou shalt love thy neighbour [member of another tribe living next to you] as thyself: I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:17–18.

In other words, God commanded the children of Israel of twelve tribes to love their fellow tribesmen in covenant with God. Additionally, God never commanded nor instructed His covenant people to love anyone not in covenant, in this case, Gentiles. On the contrary. God commands Israel of twelve tribes to not mingle with the nations ("goyim" = Gentiles) nor learn their ways.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:17

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:17–19.

Jesus also taught and upheld all of God's commands under the Law of Moses, especially the original command on love:

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Matthew 5:43–48.

From the time of the original command on love by God to the children of Israel, Israel experienced a great deal of history. Part of that history is that after the death of Solomon the twelve tribes divided into two kingdoms, each claiming to be the rightful heir of Solomon. Ten tribes to the north called the northern kingdom, and two tribes to the south called the southern kingdom. And they were bitter enemies and went to war against each other many times. By the time Jesus walked the Holy Land the tribal hatred and animosities still existed between the tribes. Even right before Jesus' ascension the kingdom was fresh in their minds' believing Jesus was their Promised Messiah and King sent to deliver Israel from her enemies.

6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? Acts 1:6.

But the question was which kingdom. Northern ten tribes, or southern two tribes? Jesus went beyond their question earlier as their King He tried to instruct His people in the original command and to obey it.

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Matthew 5:43–48.

In context of Jesus' words, He is instructing the people of twelve tribes gathered to hear Him teach to the original command of loving your brother and your neighbor.

Since any change in the Law of Moses would effectually destroy the Law of Moses - and the religious leaders accused Jesus of trying to change the Law of Moses in His teaching - Jesus instead taught the people to obey the Law of Moses especially in the original command on love.

What it comes down to is this: In the original command God instructed Israel of twelve tribes to love their covenant brethren and their fellow covenant neighbor. Jesus taught His people Israel to obedience to the original command on love and who to love: He commanded them to love those, and only those, in covenant with God. God nor Jesus never commanded His people in covenant to love anyone outside of covenant with God. Never.

But the Gentile church in the past and today teach opposing God and His Christ. They teach Jesus DID change the Law of Moses and that His people - the Christians or Christ followers - are to love the non-covenant or unsaved sinner whose sins are unatoned and outside the family of God. But Jesus didn't change the Law of Moses. The error is the Gentile church who misunderstand the biblical teaching on love and are taught that continuing error from the pulpit that Christians are to love those not in covenant with God or in other words the unsaved.

Now, I have rightly divided the Scripture on the Biblical definition of/on love and now you judge. Am I right?

Or will you as Gentile Christian continue to give that which is Holy (God's love) to dogs (non-covenant, unsaved.)

Will you cast your pearls to swine (unsaved)?

Are you a Christ follower or a Christ opposer.

'For when we were yet without strength,
in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
For scarcely for a righteous man will one die:
yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
But God commendeth His love toward us,
in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.'

(Rom 5:6-8)

Praise His Holy Name!

Love is where it's at.

The Cross, as the Scripture brings it before us, is the meeting place between man's hate and God's love. Hate laid hold of Love, Love laid hold of Hate, and Love triumphed. That's the story of the Cross. Love is stronger than hate. Love is stronger than greed, and lust, and bitterness, and jealousy, and haughtiness, and prejudice, and pride and all the other evil things of human life.

'A new commandment I give unto you,
That ye love one another;
as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples,
if ye have love one to another.'

(Joh 13:34-35)

This commandment was given to believers in the Lord Jesus Christ,
who are told to, 'love one another'.
The manner in which that love is to be expressed is,
'as I have loved you, that ye also love one another'.
The love of Christ is a sacrificial love.
'By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another'.
Are we identifiable as those who have been saved by God's grace?
Is the love of Christ manifested in us?
My mind thinks of a shop window, with people looking in.
What are they seeing when they look through the window represented by this 'Christian' forum?
Are they seeing the love of God expressed in our dealings with one another?
Or are they seeing accusation and counter accusation, unkindness and one-up-man-ship?

??

@jeremiah1five said:-
What it comes down to is this: In the original command God instructed Israel of twelve tribes to love their covenant brethren and their fellow covenant neighbor. Jesus taught His people Israel to obedience to the original command on love and who to love: He commanded them to love those, and only those, in covenant with God. God nor Jesus never commanded His people in covenant to love anyone outside of covenant with God. Never.

But the Gentile church in the past and today teach opposing God and His Christ. They teach Jesus DID change the Law of Moses and that His people - the Christians or Christ followers - are to love the non-covenant or unsaved sinner whose sins are unatoned and outside the family of God. But Jesus didn't change the Law of Moses. The error is the Gentile church who misunderstand the biblical teaching on love and are taught that continuing error from the pulpit that Christians are to love those not in covenant with God or in other words the unsaved.
Hello @jeremiah1five,

You do make your readers sit up and think: even if they do not always agree.
I am neither Gentile nor Jew, for in the Body of Christ such divisions have no place. I am a sinner who has been saved by God's grace.

Are we not to love the unsaved, when even God's love is defined by the fact that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us? (Rom. 5:6-8)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
op: What's love go to do with it?
Precious friends, thanks for many Excellent posts. If I may share more 'love', for:

The Body Of Christ, Under Grace, Today:

"Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink:​
for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head." (Romans 12:20)​

With Christ [ God, Who Is Love! ] Living In us, To Fulfil:

All Of His Law, In ONE Word: ►► love ◄◄ thy neighbor as thyself!"​
("by love serve on another" v. 13, Galatians 5:14; Romans 13:8-10)​

Notice what [ loving? ] 'swerving' "judgers of others" accomplishes:

"Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart,​
and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned: From which some​
having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; Desiring to be​
teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof​
they affirm. " (1 Timothy 1:5-7)​
[loving?] causing weaker brothers to stumble?:

"But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably.​
Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ Died [← Greatest Love! ]."​
(Romans 14:15)​
knowledge vs love:
"Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we​
all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth."​
(1 Corinthians 8:1 cp 1 Corinthians 4:6 "going above What Is Written")​
availing love vs religious 'circumcision'?:

"For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but​
faith which worketh by love. " (Galatians 5:6 + "by love serve on another" v. 13 )​

More Important than the "three arguable gifts" (v. 8) that are gone or not, is:

"And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is​
charity [ love ]." (1 Corinthians 13:13 AV cp "quiet love" vs 'noisy instruments' v. 1 )​

Greatest love = a "good thing". Correct?:

"For we must all appear before The Judgment Seat Of Christ; that every one may​
receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it​
be good or bad." (2 Corinthians 5:10 cp 1 Corinthians 3:8-15 for "rewards/loss")​

Amen.

upon emotion.

What is Love?

(D Hosfeld)

View attachment 212
Amen.
Hebrew:

"Ahava": This is the most common Hebrew word for love, referring to romantic love, love for God, family, friends, and humanity in general. Ahava is a broad term that covers various forms of love.

"Chesed": Chesed is a form of lovingkindness or mercy, which involves showing compassion and generosity toward others. This type of love is often associated with God's covenantal love for Israel.

"Rahamim": Rahamim is a tender, sympathetic love that comes from empathy and compassion. This type of love is often associated with maternal affection and care.

"Chaviv": Chaviv is a passionate, intense love that is deeply felt and cherished. This type of love is often associated with romance and strong emotional bonds.

"Rakhamim": Similar to rahamim, rakhamim is a tender, sympathetic love that comes from empathy and compassion. This type of love is often associated with parental affection and care.
"Dodim": Dodim is a close, intimate love that is shared between spouses or lovers. This type of love is often associated with marital affection and intimacy.

"Chen": Chen is beauty or grace, which is often associated with love. When applied to love, chen refers to a beautiful, gracious love that is pleasing and attractive.

"Ahavat Olam": Ahavat olam is eternal love, which is a lasting, enduring love that continues beyond the grave. This type of love is often associated with God's love for His people and the love that believers have for one another.

"Ahavat Yisrael": Ahavat yisrael is the love that Jews have for their nation, culture, and heritage. This type of love is often associated with patriotic pride and national identity.
Greek:
"Agape": Agape is the highest form of love, which is selfless, sacrificial, and unconditional. This type of love is the kind of love that God has for us and the love that we should have for one another.

"Philia": Philia is friendship love, which is a deep, platonic love between two people who are not romantically involved. This type of love is often associated with mutual respect, admiration, and loyalty.

"Storge": Storge is familial love, which is the love between family members, such as parents and children. This type of love is often associated with affection, warmth, and security.

These words for love provide rich nuances and layers of meaning in the Biblical texts, allowing us to grasp the depth and variety of love described in the Bible. Understanding these words helps us to better comprehend the diverse expressions of love that are celebrated and encouraged in the Scriptures.
J.

Back
Top Bottom