What is the tribulation period?

SteveB

Seems like there's a lot of rather ambiguous ideas on the final 7 year period of history.
A period known in Bible parlance as
The Tribulation Period.

So..
I'd like to know what people think the Tribulation period is.

Is it merely a rough spot in human history or is it the wrath of God poured out on a Christ rejecting world?

And what part... If any....
Does Israel play in this phase of history?

Thank you.

Seems like there's a lot of rather ambiguous ideas on the final 7 year period of history.
A period known in Bible parlance as
The Tribulation Period.

So..
I'd like to know what people think the Tribulation period is.

Is it merely a rough spot in human history or is it the wrath of God poured out on a Christ rejecting world?

And what part... If any....
Does Israel play in this phase of history?

Thank you.
It is not Bible parlance, because it is nowhere found in the Bible. It is Hal Lindsay and other nonsensical parlance.

Show me in the Bible where it says anything about a seven year tribulation period. Yes, I know the texts that people use to say there's a future seven year period. But there are no Scriptures that describe a future seven year period as a tribulation period. And without a tribulation period, there is no pre-trib anything, let alone a pre-trib rapture.

It is not Bible parlance, because it is nowhere found in the Bible. It is Hal Lindsay and other nonsensical parlance.
Sounds like you have contempt towards Hal, and those who agree with him.
In fact, let's see if this is even possible.
I'm asking for an explanation of your belief regarding the 7 years of trouble for the earth.
i am not posting this op to win an argument.

so, don't worry about arguing. Just describe.
no contempt, no disgust, no outrage, no venting. And yes, thus far, these things ooze out of your posts.

using the KJV, the following verses use the word, tribulation.
These appear to have two different meanings, and uses. One is for trouble in life, and the other is an era of extreme trouble for the planet at large.

Deu 4:30 When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice; note

Jdg 10:14 Go and cry unto the gods which ye have chosen; let them deliver you in the time of your tribulation.

1Sa 10:19 And ye have this day rejected your God, who himself saved you out of all your adversities and your tribulations; and ye have said unto him, Nay, but set a king over us. Now therefore present yourselves before the LORD by your tribes, and by your thousands.

1Sa 26:24 And, behold, as thy life was much set by this day in mine eyes, so let my life be much set by in the eyes of the LORD, and let him deliver me out of all tribulation.

Mat 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

Mar 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,

Joh 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Act 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

Rom 2:9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

Rom 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Rom 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

Rom 12:12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

2Co 1:4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

2Co 7:4 Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my glorying of you: I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation.

Eph 3:13 Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.

1Th 3:4 For verily, when we were with you, we told you before that we should suffer tribulation; even as it came to pass, and ye know.

2Th 1:4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:

2Th 1:6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;

Rev 1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rev 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Rev 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Rev 2:22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.

Rev 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Show me in the Bible where it says anything about a seven year tribulation period. Yes, I know the texts that people use to say there's a future seven year period. But there are no Scriptures that describe a future seven year period as a tribulation period. And without a tribulation period, there is no pre-trib anything, let alone a pre-trib rapture.
Sounds like you're saying you know everything, and have no need to simply describe it.

Sounds like you're saying you know everything, and have no need to simply describe it.
You want a description? I've posted this numerous times.

Just to make this more clear, here's a parallel between Matthew 24 and Revelation 6,7:

To give more detail: Revelation 6, Jesus returns and the great day of the Lord's wrath is about to begin:

Matthew 24:29 “But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

== Revelation 6:12 I looked when He broke the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon became like blood; 13 and the stars of the sky fell to the earth, as a fig tree casts its unripe figs when shaken by a great wind. 14 The sky was split apart like a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

Matthew 24:30 And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn

== Revelation 6:15 Then the kings of the earth and the great men and the commanders and the rich and the strong and every slave and free man hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains; 16 and they *said to the mountains and to the rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the presence of Him who sits on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb; 17 for the great day of their wrath has come, and who is able to stand?”

Matthew 24:21 For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will. 22 Unless those days had been cut short, no ]life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.

The Great Tribulation has been cut short
, and with the return of Jesus, the wrath is about to begin. But first, the 144,000 are sealed to be protected from God's wrath (Revelation 7). At the same time, the rapture occurs:

Matthew 24:31 And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

Here are the elect from the four winds:

== Revelation 7:9 After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could count, from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, and palm branches were in their hands; 10 and they cry out with a loud voice, saying,

13 Then one of the elders answered, saying to me, “These who are clothed in the white robes, who are they, and where have they come from?” 14 I said to him, “My lord, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Then the Day of the Lord's wrath begins.

Sounds like you have contempt towards Hal, and those who agree with him.
In fact, let's see if this is even possible.
I'm asking for an explanation of your belief regarding the 7 years of trouble for the earth.
i am not posting this op to win an argument.

so, don't worry about arguing. Just describe.
no contempt, no disgust, no outrage, no venting. And yes, thus far, these things ooze out of your posts.

using the KJV, the following verses use the word, tribulation.
These appear to have two different meanings, and uses. One is for trouble in life, and the other is an era of extreme trouble for the planet at large.

Deu 4:30 When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice; note

Jdg 10:14 Go and cry unto the gods which ye have chosen; let them deliver you in the time of your tribulation.

1Sa 10:19 And ye have this day rejected your God, who himself saved you out of all your adversities and your tribulations; and ye have said unto him, Nay, but set a king over us. Now therefore present yourselves before the LORD by your tribes, and by your thousands.

1Sa 26:24 And, behold, as thy life was much set by this day in mine eyes, so let my life be much set by in the eyes of the LORD, and let him deliver me out of all tribulation.

Mat 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

Mar 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,

Joh 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Act 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

Rom 2:9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

Rom 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Rom 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

Rom 12:12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

2Co 1:4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

2Co 7:4 Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my glorying of you: I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation.

Eph 3:13 Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.

1Th 3:4 For verily, when we were with you, we told you before that we should suffer tribulation; even as it came to pass, and ye know.

2Th 1:4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:

2Th 1:6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;

Rev 1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rev 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Rev 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Rev 2:22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.

Rev 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
Yes, there will be tribulation. None of those scripture say anything about a seven year tribulation period.

Nice thread, the tribulation period. very interesting subject. Hopefully we can learn something. And that's a good goal as it's the final season of human history as we know.

It is addressed in many places in the Bible and has many titles and designations, but it is often referred to as the Tribulation, or “Great Tribulation.” The Tribulation is a brief, brutal seven-year period immediately after the Rapture filled with unprecedented horrors, upheavals, persecutions, natural disasters, massive death tolls, and political turmoil, lasting until Christ’s physical return to earth.

Simply yet soberly stated, the Tribulation is a time of blistering judgment and withering destruction as God pours out His judgment on rebellious humanity. As harsh as this sounds, all who accept the authority of the Bible believe in the reality of the Tribulation, and as time marches on, unfortunately, some will see these events unfold before their eyes. And it amazes me that a lot of us take end times as no big deal.

There will be no way to deny or diminish what is happening. Maybe that's why it's so few people study it and churches rarely teach on it because of the Fear Factor.

I believe the Tribulation is a natural consequence of the Rapture. The moment after the Rapture, with all believers completely removed, every vestige of spiritual and moral restraint withdrawn. Like the sudden removal of a dam, the world is likely now becoming engulfed with evil and swamped by sin. Just like the days of Noah.

As the Tribulation progresses, evil will result in a climax of worsening conditions. God’s wrath will be unleashed toward the wicked through the signs of His coming judgment. The result will be horrific.

It is addressed in many places in the Bible and has many titles and designations, but it is often referred to as the Tribulation, or “Great Tribulation.” The Tribulation is a brief, brutal seven-year period immediately after the Rapture filled with unprecedented horrors, upheavals, persecutions, natural disasters, massive death tolls, and political turmoil, lasting until Christ’s physical return to earth.
Show me the scripture that says there's a seven year tribulation period. There are lots of scriptures about tribulation, and there's scripture about a seven year period. But there's zero scripture connecting the two into a seven year tribulation period.

The Tribulation is a seven-year period described in detail in Revelation 6 through 18. I strongly encourage you to read those chapters.

The Tribulation is a seven-year period described in detail in Revelation 6 through 18. I strongly encourage you to read those chapters.
Quote the scripture from Revelation 6 through 18 that describes a seven year tribulation period. You need two elements:

1. Scripture that defines a seven year period
2. Scripture that says that seven year period is a period of tribulation

It's not there, anywhere.

The Old Testament prophets spoke often of the time of tribulation. One of these Hebrew prophets was a man named Daniel. According to his prophecy, the Tribulation begins when the final world ruler, the Antichrist, brokers a seven-year treaty or agreement with the nation of Israel that temporarily solves the long-standing Middle East peace crisis that has plagued the world for generations. Daniel 9:27 says, “Then he [the Antichrist] shall confirm a covenant with many for one week [one week of years, or seven years].”

The nation of Israel has always been God’s clock or timepiece, revealing where we are on God’s prophetic calendar. The Jewish people, who were expelled from their ancient homeland for almost two thousand years beginning in the year AD 70, have been back in their land as a modern nation since 1948. That event, predicted often in the Old Testament, was a key signal that the end of the age was approaching. Since 1948 the tiny nation of Israel has been surrounded by a sea of enemies who want to wipe her off the face of the earth. Israel has often been the eye of the hurricane in global events. For decades world leaders have worked to forge a lasting peace in the Middle East. The Antichrist will finally make it happen.

The treaty forged by the rising world leader guarantees peace for Israel. As you know, all eyes are focused on the Middle East. The signing of the seven-year peace accord between Israel and the emerging world leader signals the final countdown to the end. With the stroke of the pen, the prophetic clock begins ticking toward midnight.

This peace agreement may be signed very soon after the Rapture, but there may be a time gap of several days, weeks, months, or even years between the Rapture and the signing of this treaty. Whatever the duration of the time gap, the period between the Rapture and the beginning of the Tribulation is a time of picking up the pieces after the devastation of the Rapture and further setting the stage for the final drama. All the actors will take their predicted places on the stage. But at some point after the Rapture, the seven-year covenant is negotiated by the coming Antichrist, ushering in a false, counterfeit, temporary peace for the Middle East—a peace that will briefly include the entire world (1 Thessalonians 5:1–3). It looks like the world’s dream of utopia has been realized. Even now, as you read these words, the peace treaty may have already been signed.

What is this “covenant” that the Antichrist will make with Israel? Daniel does not specify its content, but he does indicate that it will extend for seven years. During the first half of this time Israel feels at peace and secure, so the covenant must provide some guarantee for Israel’s national security. Very likely the covenant will allow Israel to be at peace with her Arab neighbors. One result of the covenant is that Israel will be allowed to rebuild her temple in Jerusalem. This world ruler will succeed where . . . other world leaders have failed. He will be known as the man of peace!

So, for a brief time after the Rapture, in the early days of the Tribulation, after the initial chaos settles, things appear to be looking up. But don’t be deceived; this is merely the calm before the storm. Speaking of this time, the apostle Paul prophesied, “For when they say, ‘Peace and safety!’ then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape” (1 Thessalonians 5:3). The brief period of peace comes crashing down and gives way to the time of tribulation, also known as the “day of the Lord.”

The Revelation Prophecy

The Old Testament prophets spoke often of the time of tribulation. One of these Hebrew prophets was a man named Daniel. According to his prophecy, the Tribulation begins when the final world ruler, the Antichrist, brokers a seven-year treaty or agreement with the nation of Israel that temporarily solves the long-standing Middle East peace crisis that has plagued the world for generations. Daniel 9:27 says, “Then he [the Antichrist] shall confirm a covenant with many for one week [one week of years, or seven years].”

The nation of Israel has always been God’s clock or timepiece, revealing where we are on God’s prophetic calendar. The Jewish people, who were expelled from their ancient homeland for almost two thousand years beginning in the year AD 70, have been back in their land as a modern nation since 1948. That event, predicted often in the Old Testament, was a key signal that the end of the age was approaching. Since 1948 the tiny nation of Israel has been surrounded by a sea of enemies who want to wipe her off the face of the earth. Israel has often been the eye of the hurricane in global events. For decades world leaders have worked to forge a lasting peace in the Middle East. The Antichrist will finally make it happen.

The treaty forged by the rising world leader guarantees peace for Israel. As you know, all eyes are focused on the Middle East. The signing of the seven-year peace accord between Israel and the emerging world leader signals the final countdown to the end. With the stroke of the pen, the prophetic clock begins ticking toward midnight.

This peace agreement may be signed very soon after the Rapture, but there may be a time gap of several days, weeks, months, or even years between the Rapture and the signing of this treaty. Whatever the duration of the time gap, the period between the Rapture and the beginning of the Tribulation is a time of picking up the pieces after the devastation of the Rapture and further setting the stage for the final drama. All the actors will take their predicted places on the stage. But at some point after the Rapture, the seven-year covenant is negotiated by the coming Antichrist, ushering in a false, counterfeit, temporary peace for the Middle East—a peace that will briefly include the entire world (1 Thessalonians 5:1–3). It looks like the world’s dream of utopia has been realized. Even now, as you read these words, the peace treaty may have already been signed.

What is this “covenant” that the Antichrist will make with Israel? Daniel does not specify its content, but he does indicate that it will extend for seven years. During the first half of this time Israel feels at peace and secure, so the covenant must provide some guarantee for Israel’s national security. Very likely the covenant will allow Israel to be at peace with her Arab neighbors. One result of the covenant is that Israel will be allowed to rebuild her temple in Jerusalem. This world ruler will succeed where . . . other world leaders have failed. He will be known as the man of peace!

So, for a brief time after the Rapture, in the early days of the Tribulation, after the initial chaos settles, things appear to be looking up. But don’t be deceived; this is merely the calm before the storm. Speaking of this time, the apostle Paul prophesied, “For when they say, ‘Peace and safety!’ then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape” (1 Thessalonians 5:3). The brief period of peace comes crashing down and gives way to the time of tribulation, also known as the “day of the Lord.”

The Revelation Prophecy
The part I put in bold is the only scriptural part of what is above. All it says is that there will be a week of years. It never says that will be a seven year tribulation period. Everything else above is assumption and speculation, and has no basis in scripture.

Yes, there will be tribulation. None of those scripture say anything about a seven year tribulation period.
7 years comes from Daniel 9.

Dan 9:24-27 WEB 24 “Seventy weeks are decreed on your people and on your holy city, to finish disobedience, to make an end of sins, to make reconciliation for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most holy. 25 “Know therefore and discern that from the going out of the commandment to restore and build Jerusalem to the Anointed One, the prince, will be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks. It will be built again, with street and moat, even in troubled times. 26 After the sixty-two weeks the Anointed One will be cut off, and will have nothing. The people of the prince who come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. Its end will be with a flood, and war will be even to the end. Desolations are determined. 27 He will make a firm covenant with many for one week. In the middle of the week he will cause the sacrifice and the offering to cease. On the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate; and even to the decreed full end, wrath will be poured out on the desolate.”

70 sevens...
7 sevens, and 62 sevens.
Messiah would be cut off.

1 seven remains.
That final seven is a seven year period known in biblical parlance as the tribulation period.

Thus defined in the copious list of passages you provided above.

During approximately the first three and a half years of the Tribulation, there will be a surge of worsening conditions, the anger of God against those who reject Him, and the unfolding of the signs of Christ’s return to earth.

During the last three and a half years of the Tribulation, the “lawless one”—the Antichrist—will be empowered to sit at the center of the Tribulation’s evil as he personifies Satan. I must tell you the truth: this is a time of the greatest suffering and persecution the world has ever seen.

7 years comes from Daniel 9.

Dan 9:24-27 WEB 24 “Seventy weeks are decreed on your people and on your holy city, to finish disobedience, to make an end of sins, to make reconciliation for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most holy. 25 “Know therefore and discern that from the going out of the commandment to restore and build Jerusalem to the Anointed One, the prince, will be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks. It will be built again, with street and moat, even in troubled times. 26 After the sixty-two weeks the Anointed One will be cut off, and will have nothing. The people of the prince who come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. Its end will be with a flood, and war will be even to the end. Desolations are determined. 27 He will make a firm covenant with many for one week. In the middle of the week he will cause the sacrifice and the offering to cease. On the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate; and even to the decreed full end, wrath will be poured out on the desolate.”

70 sevens...
7 sevens, and 62 sevens.
Messiah would be cut off.

1 seven remains.
That final seven is a seven year period known in biblical parlance as the tribulation period.

Thus defined in the copious list of passages you provided above.
Again, all that scripture says is that there will be a period of seven years. The abomination of desolation comes IN THE MIDDLE of that period, not at the beginning. Nowhere does it describe that seven years as a tribulation period. People had to invent the notion of a seven year tribulation period in order to create the notion of a pre-trib rapture. Neither are scriptural.

During approximately the first three and a half years of the Tribulation, there will be a surge of worsening conditions, the anger of God against those who reject Him, and the unfolding of the signs of Christ’s return to earth.

During the last three and a half years of the Tribulation, the “lawless one”—the Antichrist—will be empowered to sit at the center of the Tribulation’s evil as he personifies Satan. I must tell you the truth: this is a time of the greatest suffering and persecution the world has ever seen.
Again, show me the scripture that says the first 3.5 years are a period of tribulation. Just saying so doesn't make it scripture.

Jesus spoke clearly about the Tribulation, but He is not alone. Several passages throughout the Bible describe the events that will occur during the Tribulation period. These descriptions occur in the writings of various Old Testament prophets and in brief references here and there in other books of the Bible.

But it is the book of Revelation that describes the Tribulation events in the greatest detail.

There is a total lack of scripture supporting the notion of a seven year tribulation period. I keep challenging everyone to give scriptural proof, but all I get is "seven year period" and "tribulation" -- nothing that connects the two such that there is a seven year period of tribulation. It's all vain imagination in the hope that there will be a completely non-scriptural pre-trib rapture.

After a period of seven years of tribulation on earth, Christ will return to the earth with His church, the saints who were raptured (Matthew 24:30, 2 Thessalonians 1:7, 1 Peter 1:13, Revelation 1:7). He will be victorious over His enemies and will reign on the earth for 1,000 years (the millennium) with His saints, the church.

Back
Top Bottom