Unraveling the confusion of God’s Decree: 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith

PLEASE [DISPARAGE] THE DOCTRINES OF GRACE IN ONE OF THE HUNDRED OTHER TOPICS CREATED FOR THAT PURPOSE!

This is a discussion on "God’s Decree" from the Baptist Confession of Faith.

Last edited:
hmmm lets see here as these 10 points just came off the top of my head. I could probably turn this into my top 20 in another 2 minutes. :)

Gods decree from eternity past means the following.

1- God predetermined everything
2- everything includes both good and evil
3- everything includes the destiny of every man
4- everything included their decisions
5- everything includes being predetermined to be in hell for all eternity
6- everything included the inability to choose or do otherwise
7- everything occurs according to Gods predetermined plan
8- everything happens according to His will
9- nothing can happen outside of Gods will that is predetermined
10- therefore God is responsible and culpable for everything that happens

hope this helps !!!

1689BCF: From all eternity God decreed everything that occurs, without reference to anything outside himself.
Scripture:

• Romans 9:14-18 [NKJV] What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! For He says to Moses, I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion. So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.” Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.
Are you going to go on record and say the above passage is not teaching Unconditional Election according to the 1689BCF ? yes or no

God already defined it ...

"Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things that are not yet done," [Isaiah 46]

The simple question is ... DO YOU BELIEVE GOD?
100 % God just not the calvinists misrepresentation of who God is.

Statements without Scripture are mere opinions. Statements about scripture is exegesis. Statements supported by scripture is Theology.

1- God predetermined everything
Do you have scripture to go with this?

2- everything includes both good and evil

3- everything includes the destiny of every man

4- everything included their decisions

5- everything includes being predetermined to be in hell for all eternity

6- everything included the inability to choose or do otherwise

7- everything occurs according to Gods predetermined plan

8- everything happens according to His will

9- nothing can happen outside of Gods will that is predetermined

10- therefore God is responsible and culpable for everything that happens

Gods decree1689 confession​

PARAGRAPH 4​

These angels and men thus predestinated and foreordained, are particularly and unchangeably designed, and their number so certain and definite, that it cannot be either increased or diminished.

10 2 Tim. 2:19; John 13:18

PARAGRAPH 5​

Those of mankind that are predestinated to life, God, before the foundation of the world was laid, according to His eternal and immutable purpose, and the secret counsel and good pleasure of His will, hath chosen in Christ unto everlasting glory, out of His mere free grace and love,11 without any other thing in the creature as a condition or cause moving Him thereunto.

As God hath appointed the elect unto glory, so He hath, by the eternal and most free purpose of His will, foreordained all the means thereunto;13 wherefore they who are elected, being fallen in Adam, are redeemed by Christ,14 are effectually called unto faith in Christ, by His Spirit working in due season, are justified, adopted, sanctified,15 and kept by His power through faith unto salvation;16 neither are any other redeemed by Christ, or effectually called, justified, adopted, sanctified, and saved, but the elect only.17

The doctrine of the high mystery of predestination is to be handled with special prudence and care, that men attending the will of God revealed in His Word, and yielding obedience thereunto, may, from the certainty of their effectual vocation, be assured of their eternal election;18 so shall this doctrine afford matter of praise,19 reverence, and admiration of God, and of humility,20 diligence, and abundant consolation to all that sincerely obey the gospel.

So you reject EVERYTHING that God said in the OP (the quoted scripture) as false and incorrect?
So I ask you a question. Did Jesus reject God's word when the devil told him the angels would catch him if he fell off the temple. Matt 4 Nope. What did he do though. He showed him he was presenting it wrongly. With him it was on purpose. I'll trust it's not with you. I'll just hold that you're sincere but sincerely wrong.

tulip is written all over the 1689 confession in several chapters including chapter 3 under the divine decree

Is that an affirmation or a denial thats what the 1689 confession is teaching ?

You quoted it not me so I'm challenging you are to its real meaning.
Romans 9 "I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” was included in support of the idea of "without reference to anything outside himself". Within this context (Chapter 3 of the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith) the topic is "God's Decree". It is irrelevant who Romans 9 is referring to in this context ... for the sake of argument, God could be speaking exclusively of Paul's Irish Setters. What is relevant is that the decision to show mercy is predicated on "I will" [God] and not the object of the mercy or some circumstances or even just the need of the events. The only driving force for mercy is internal to God. His mercy and His compassion from inside Him. Thus it joins Isaiah 46: “My council shall stand” and Ephesians 1: “according to the purpose of Him” & “council of His will” and Hebrews 6: “His council” in supporting the conclusion "without reference to anything outside himself".

That is its real meaning in Chapter 3 of the 1689 BCF.

Gods decree1689 confession​

PARAGRAPH 4​

These angels and men thus predestinated and foreordained, are particularly and unchangeably designed, and their number so certain and definite, that it cannot be either increased or diminished.

10 2 Tim. 2:19; John 13:18

PARAGRAPH 5​

Those of mankind that are predestinated to life, God, before the foundation of the world was laid, according to His eternal and immutable purpose, and the secret counsel and good pleasure of His will, hath chosen in Christ unto everlasting glory, out of His mere free grace and love,11 without any other thing in the creature as a condition or cause moving Him thereunto.

As God hath appointed the elect unto glory, so He hath, by the eternal and most free purpose of His will, foreordained all the means thereunto;13 wherefore they who are elected, being fallen in Adam, are redeemed by Christ,14 are effectually called unto faith in Christ, by His Spirit working in due season, are justified, adopted, sanctified,15 and kept by His power through faith unto salvation;16 neither are any other redeemed by Christ, or effectually called, justified, adopted, sanctified, and saved, but the elect only.17
Of what value is Paragraph 4 or 5 when you cannot even affirm the simple meaning of scripture summarized in the first sentence of Paragraph 1?

Romans 9 "I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” was included in support of the idea of "without reference to anything outside himself". Within this context (Chapter 3 of the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith) the topic is "God's Decree". It is irrelevant who Romans 9 is referring to in this context ... for the sake of argument, God could be speaking exclusively of Paul's Irish Setters. What is relevant is that the decision to show mercy is predicated on "I will" [God] and not the object of the mercy or some circumstances or even just the need of the events. The only driving force for mercy is internal to God. His mercy and His compassion from inside Him. Thus it joins Isaiah 46: “My council shall stand” and Ephesians 1: “according to the purpose of Him” & “council of His will” and Hebrews 6: “His council” in supporting the conclusion "without reference to anything outside himself".

That is its real meaning in Chapter 3 of the 1689 BCF.
Is it affirming or denying unconditional election ? yes or no

lets see if you will answer the question or avoid it.

Of what value is Paragraph 4 or 5 when you cannot even affirm the simple meaning of scripture summarized in the first sentence of Paragraph 1?
I wholeheartedly deny Predestination/election, divine determinism and Gods decree according to Calvinism which the confession affirms.

So I ask you a question. Did Jesus reject God's word when the devil told him the angels would catch him if he fell off the temple. Matt 4 Nope. What did he do though. He showed him he was presenting it wrongly. With him it was on purpose. I'll trust it's not with you. I'll just hold that you're sincere but sincerely wrong.
Yet you offer me no correction from the word of God and make to attempt to address any of the scripture presented.
Your OPINIONS are noted (and shrugged off).

I will stick with the Scripture that I presented as true and your opinion as ... just opinion.

Yet you offer me no correction from the word of God and make to attempt to address any of the scripture presented.
Your OPINIONS are noted (and shrugged off).

I will stick with the Scripture that I presented as true and your opinion as ... just opinion.
yes like the 1689 opinions which are basically identical to calvins teachings where they got the doctrines in the confession from.

I will stick to scripture not fallen mans understanding ( 1689 confession ) and distortion of the bible. Its nothing but a calvinist confession and the opinions of man.

OK, y'all win.

Clearly NOBODY wants to discuss God's Decree.
You all just want to post "Calvinism is EVIL" and "TULIP is unbiblical".

Have at it. Even POSTING SCRIPTURE cannot entice you out of your petty diatribes and into a conversation. I shake the dust off.

Back
Top Bottom