Two Minutes in the Bible through Revelation

Prayer for God’s Purposes

The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand.
REVELATION 8:4

Prayer is not meant to be perfunctory, but powered by the Holy Spirit. When I am preoccupied and trying to pray, I short-circuit the Spirit’s work. However, when I pray in the Spirit, I experience full contact with Christ; my mind is engaged, and my heart is fully focused. The flesh seeks a quick fix, but the Spirit desires a deep affection that develops over time. Spiritual prayers flow from praise and worship to Almighty God. He receives the prayer aroma from His daughters and sons as the sweet smell of a holy sacrifice. The Holy Spirit is our prayer whisperer.

Prayers for justice in this life may not be answered until the next life. Like incense, the prayers of God’s people waft up into the nostrils of God. The altar normally designed for mercy is repurposed for justice. As the prayers of the saints in heaven ascend to the Lord, the Lord’s judgment descends on the earth and its inhabitants. Without consequences for evil, grace and mercy lose their luster. Yes, prayer and faith facilitate God’s purposes into action.

“Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests” (Ephesians 6:18).

Pray on all occasions. With a bowed head, recognize Jesus as the provider of a delicious meal. Before you partake of the tasty morsels, taste His grace. Pray and prepare your heart prior to a difficult conversation, so any anger or harshness gives way to patience and compassion. Pray as you think about a big decision, asking, “Is my motive to glorify God? What counsel would I give to someone else in a similar situation?” Spiritual prayers have the Spirit’s leading.

Variety is the spice of an effective prayer life. Yes, employ a plethora of prayers that protect you from familiarity and boredom. Pray for patience so you are slow to anger. Pray for the sick so they might be healed. Pray for opportunities to share the gospel so the seeds of salvation will grow in the hearts of lost souls. Pray for those who suffer so their comfort comes from Christ. Pray for forgiveness so your heart is healed and filled with the Holy Spirit!

“I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being” (Ephesians 3:16).
Heavenly Father, I pray that my prayers are full of praise and thanksgiving to You.

Related Readings
Isaiah 11:2; Micah 3:8; Mark 14:38; Acts 4:31; Colossians 1:9; Jude 20

Boyd Bailey, Two Minutes in the Bible® through Revelation: A 90-Day Devotional

Delayed Repentance Escalates Discipline

The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up.
REVELATION 8:7

Spiritual fruit from the past is no substitute for fruit produced in the present. Praise God for our faithful ancestors of the faith, but their fruit was for their time. The Spirit of God wants to harvest fruits of repentance for this generation. The good old days of spiritual renewal are inspiring, but today the Lord calls those of us with a little gray hair to grow up in His grace. We who identify with Jesus have a significant role and responsibility to produce fruit of repentance.

Those who do not bear fruit in this life will experience the severe discipline of the Lord in the next life. Indeed, as we close in on Christ’s second coming, we must be prepared to meet our Maker with lives that reflect God’s standards, not the anemic morality of a sick society. A world that rejects Jesus and refuses to repent of sin is not a pretty sight. The discipline of the Lord will escalate across a scorched earth.

“Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death” (2 Corinthians 7:10).

How do we know if we are producing fruit of repentance? Private belief for salvation and public confession in baptism are the firstfruits of repentance, but they are only the beginning. The ongoing fruit-bearing process is a lifetime of leaning into the Lord. The Spirit reminds us when we drift into bad habits or wrong thinking. We confess spiritual pride and remember that only by the grace of God can we do good. We turn from self-righteousness and toward God’s righteousness.

What is the fruit of repentance? Good deeds from a heart of humility and grace are fruits that glorify God. Your Spirit-filled actions of abstinence, generosity, tutoring, public service, faith sharing, foster care, and orphan adoption please your heavenly Father. Jesus smiles when you are hospitable and when you visit the sick and those in prison. Your authentic repentance compels you to care for the broken. What breaks God’s heart breaks your heart!

“I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds” (Acts 26:20).
From what must I repent, turning to the Lord for forgiveness and the faith to produce good deeds?

Related Readings
Deuteronomy 4:30; Jeremiah 18:11; Luke 3:8-9; Galatians 3:7

Possessed by God

They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any plant or tree, but only those people who did not have the seal of God on their foreheads.
REVELATION 9:4

Our Savior’s seal is a picture of His possession of us and our relationship with Him. What a deal: We surrender ourselves, and in exchange we know God, we have access to Him, and He owns us. What the Holy Spirit has, He preserves. He is our guarantee. Our inheritance is a secure life with Jesus now and forever. God’s rich grace gives us the commerce to build His kingdom. We are sealed by the Lord, driven by His will and purpose.

John makes clear those who are sealed by God are under His protection. The final days of judgment will pass over the people who have placed their faith in Christ, but those who have trusted in their own version of truth will be found out. They will miss out on the rewards of a grace-filled life. Unbelievers will wish they had trusted and followed the promise of Jesus to possess His power that overcomes (Luke 10:19).

“You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light” (1 Peter 2:9).

What does it mean to be in relationship with the Lord? We have intimate access to Abba God. We seek our heavenly Father in faith and quiet confidence. He is gracious and gives us strength for life’s journey. We walk with our Savior Jesus, who, like a compassionate big brother, forgives us, cares for us, and calls us friends. We follow the Holy Spirit away from temptation and into the Lord’s will. As blessed children of God, we have all we need!

What does it mean to be possessed by the Lord? What God possesses He keeps. He keeps us as His own. He is jealous of other suitors, so He keeps us as His special people. He loves the world, but He loves with everlasting love those who trust His Son Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. He keeps us for His praise and glory. When we sing to our great and majestic Almighty God, it is a holy and acceptable sacrifice to heaven. He protects and prizes His sealed children.

“When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession” (Ephesians 1:13-14).
Heavenly Father, thank You for Your rich inheritance and for possessing my life.

Related Readings
Deuteronomy 7:6; 1 Samuel 12:22; Romans 9:25-26; Titus 2:12-14

Shadow of Death

During those days people will seek death but will not find it; they will long to die, but death will elude them.
REVELATION 9:6

Everyone walks through life in the long shadow of death. There is no part of the globe where it can be avoided and no physical condition that it can escape. Death knocks on the doors of all demographics, all cultures, and all classes of people. During the great tribulation, however—because of intense suffering—some will seek death but be unable to die. Part of their torment will be prolonged pain without the presence of God to comfort them. Death will elude the unsaved.

Death can bring discomfort, discouragement, and even despair. Amid the valley of death, faith is tested, families are stressed, and friends rally in prayer. How do you serve someone who is living their last months or days on earth? A good first step is to be an example of faith for them. A dying loved one needs love from those who know the Lord so that they can come to know the Lord too. A dying person needs care, comfort, and heaven’s hope. Allow death to bring you together as a family, as it did for Saul and his son Jonathan.

“Saul and Jonathan—in life they were loved and admired, and in death they were not parted” (2 Samuel 1:23).

Death is God’s reminder that we need Him and we need each other. We all walk toward death—but in Christ, death becomes a passage to eternal life. We may suffer when a believing parent begins to lose their ability to think clearly, but we can patiently listen to their irrational words knowing one day they will speak with tongues of angels. If a parent lacks belief, we can pray the reality of death brings them to the Lord.

Our faith in Jesus triumphs over death, and it also comforts us along the way. The destination of this life is death, but when we travel with the Lord, we need not fear evil or the unknown. His presence is all we need to persevere in righteous living. Hope, peace, and love are the outflow of walking with Jesus through the lonely valley of death. Death is a pass-through to paradise, for the cross is a comfort to the dying and a bridge to heaven for those who believe in Jesus’s death, His resurrection, and an eternal life in heaven.

“Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me” (Psalm 23:4).
Am I walking through my valleys with Jesus? With whom can I walk through their valley?

Related Readings
Psalm 56:13; Isaiah 38:10; John 5:24; Romans 8:38

Influence of Impure Spirits

The rest of mankind who were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons.
REVELATION 9:20

Impure spirits live inside some people, even in our places of worship. Satan is their master, and they are set on disrupting the work of God. They may say they believe in God because “even the demons believe and tremble,” but their hearts are far from Him. Impure spirits try to blend in with true believers, but they are exposed as fakes to those with spiritual discernment. Christ’s presence drives them out.

Jesus encountered evil in the synagogue and cast out the impure spirit from the man (Mark 1:23-26). Demons are not comfortable where Christ is taught and where the Spirit of God has a powerful presence. Unfortunately, some impotent churches have people who go through the motions with zombielike spiritual energy. In the days of God’s great judgment, some people will continue to stubbornly worship demons. Impure spirits lead people to live impure lives.

“You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder” (James 2:19).

Therefore, make sure not to make light of the influence of impure spirits. If you embrace activities and entertainments that espouse evil, you expose yourself and your family to the influence of impure spirits. Even fun activities and jests can open the door to the unintentional consequences of accepting the abnormal as normal. Your children can dress up and have fun without imitating witches, warlocks, spiritists, and the occult. Why dance with the enemy and risk defilement by his influence?

Furthermore, pray against impure spirits in the pure name of Jesus Christ. They cannot stand it when we stand up to them in His mighty name. Everyone will bow to our Lord Jesus.

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father (Philippians 2:9-11).

Impure spirits cannot remain in the presence of purity, which is embodied by the Lord Jesus.

“Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God” (Leviticus 19:31).
Heavenly Father, lead me by Your Spirit to discern impure spirits and confront them in the pure name of Jesus Christ.

Related Readings
1 Samuel 28:3-9; Job 1:6-12; Mark 3:13-15; 1 Timothy 4:1; Revelation 9:20

God’s Ways Fulfilled

In the days when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be accomplished, just as he announced to his servants the prophets.
REVELATION 10:7

Our gracious God grants us wisdom in His ways. He wants us to experience His eternal aim for His glory. When we placed our faith in Jesus, His purpose was partially fulfilled. Our contract with Christ laid the responsibility of fulfilling His full purpose at the feet of our heavenly Father. Our Lord finishes what He begins. Whatsoever the Lord takes in hand, He will accomplish, so we trust the Almighty to fulfill His plan.

The mystery of God’s plan had already been announced to His servants, the prophets. They prophesied the first coming of Jesus as a suffering servant for the sins of mankind, and Christ’s second coming as reigning King and Judge. Without faith, the ways of the Lord remain a mystery, but by faith God’s children are able to see God’s ways. Faith brings complete fulfillment.

“Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus” (Philippians 1:6).

Prayer prepares us to harvest heaven’s purpose for our life. We cry out to the Most High because there is nothing and no one any higher. God, who made us, is the divine decision maker. Nowhere else can we go to understand the purpose of our lives other than the Lord Jesus Christ. We cry out to Christ because He has adopted us. Our heavenly Father defines our purpose, and prayer positions us to be led by the Holy Spirit. He finishes what He begins.

Lean into the Lord, letting Him lead you toward His plan for your life. Once you establish His purpose for you, leverage it for others. Use your strength of position to help others discover their God-given purpose. Talk to them about their gifts, skills, passions, and experiences. Pray with them about how God wants to collate their assets for Christ.

No season of life is insignificant in the Lord’s eyes. Don’t wish away where you are today. By faith, you can be sure that Christ is currently working through you. Make sure your goals are God-given and trust Him with their fulfillment!

“I cry out to God Most High, to God who will fulfill his purpose for me” (Psalm 57:2 NLT).
What is the role of prayer in fulfilling God’s plan? How can I adjust my goals to reflect God’s?

Related Readings
1 Chronicles 28:12; Job 5:11-12; Psalms 20:4; 33:11; 2 Corinthians 1:15-18

Internalize Scripture

I took the little scroll from the angel’s hand and ate it. It tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth, but when I had eaten it, my stomach turned sour.
REVELATION 10:10

Memorizing Scripture is an effective defense against sin, Satan, and self. It is also God’s primary method of conforming us into the image of His Son Jesus Christ. We all are privileged to renew our minds with the truth of Scripture and to cleanse our hearts with the purifying Word of God. Were we to commit to memory a verse a week related to what we are experiencing in life, over the course of a year we would hide 52 nuggets of spiritual nourishment within our souls. “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you” (Psalm 119:11).

Similar to Ezekiel (2:9; 3:1-3), John is instructed to eat the scroll (God’s Word). It tastes sweet to him, but to those who have to stomach the Lord’s judgment, it will taste sour. John well understood sorrow and suffering after living out the reality of being rejected for the testimony of Jesus. He experienced the application and transformation of God’s Word.

“The LORD continued to appear at Shiloh, and there he revealed himself to Samuel through his word” (1 Samuel 3:21).

The Lord reveals Himself through His Word. As the Word makes its way into the crevices of our character, we increasingly desire to know God, love God, and obey God. We are conformed by the character of Christ as we mature in our understanding of the Word made flesh. Yes, we grow in our love for the Word and for Christ Himself, the living Word who was revealed on earth. God’s secret weapon of memorized, internalized Scripture transforms us into the likeness of Christ.

We are wise to see the memorizing of Scripture memory as a blessing, not a burden. Be creative. We can listen to God’s Word as we commute to work, exercise, or do chores around the house. We can follow Jesus’s example by seamlessly saying to Satan, “It is written.” God’s Word written on our hearts through memorization and meditation equips us to stand strong in Him. The spiritual growth plan of hiding His Word is used by seasoned saints who deeply know and love the Lord.

“How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word” (Psalm 119:9).
Heavenly Father, help me hide Your Word in my heart that I might know You, love You, and obey You.

Related Readings
Psalm 19:14; Jeremiah 15:16; Matthew 4:1-11; John 1:14; Ephesians 6:17

Appointed by God

I will appoint my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth.
REVELATION 11:3

The Lord seeks out disciples who are sensitive to His heart—those ready and willing to follow His next appointment to witness and serve. God seeks sincere seekers whom He can entrust with His favor. He recruits submissive star players for His team, so let your heart rest in the hand of your heavenly Father. You will endure under the mighty hand of the Almighty. Outside of His authority, hope shrivels and help fades away, so gladly accept God’s next appointment.

Just as Jesus sent out His disciples in pairs, so the Lord appoints two witnesses to proclaim His truth for three and a half years. Empowered by the Holy Spirit, these bold prophets will have the ability to destroy their enemies and cause plagues to infect the earth as evidence of God’s presence and mankind’s stubborn heart. Once the two witnesses finish their assignment from heaven, the beast will arise from hell to attack, overpower, and kill them. What the devil deems as dead, the Spirit is able to bring back to life. Divine appointments may die to be revived again.

“The LORD has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him ruler of his people” (1 Samuel 13:14).

Keep your heart tender toward God by constantly cultivating the commands of Christ. You remain useful to your heavenly Father by staying sensitive to the Spirit’s service appointments. The Lord is not looking at your outward appearance, but at your inward beauty and integrity. Perhaps your mind needs cleansing, so pray with submission for renewal in the Spirit. Also, keep your pride in check with humble acts of service at home.

Because the Holy Spirit seeks you out, you are wise to turn toward Him and move in His direction. Obedience to God will move you toward Him, while disobedience to God will always move you away. The Lord may be seeking you to replace another unwilling servant of His, so remain humble as opportunities to serve Him open up. Your added responsibilities make you more responsible to represent Christ well. Surrender to God’s search for your heart.

“Submit to God and be at peace with him; in this way prosperity will come to you” (Job 22:21).
I am available and willing to follow God’s appointments to humbly serve and witness for Him. With whom can I partner in kingdom-minded ministry?

Related Readings
2 Chronicles 30:8; Isaiah 26:12; John 4:23; Philippians 3:3

Evil for Good

The inhabitants of the earth will gloat over them and will celebrate by sending each other gifts, because these two prophets had tormented those who live on the earth.
REVELATION 11:10

Sometimes a good deed can result in the opposite of what we expect—an evil reaction. People we have served seem to have forgotten our faithfulness, and gratitude has faded from their memory. They have forgotten the fruit of our labors, and it has become all about what might inconvenience them. You were there for them at their point of need, but now in your need, they reject your request. It seems like a cruel joke. How could they forget your love and loyalty?

What do you do when you are repaid evil for good? What is your prayerful response?

The only prophet an unbelieving world likes is a dead prophet, so for three and a half days, contempt is shown for the two bold witnesses of Christ. Their corpses are left unburied in the street—an insult to God and His spokesmen. A celebration breaks out in honor of the antichrist, who has temporarily quieted the pesky and persistent voices of truth. This occasion for rejoicing during the tribulation is an aberration—not seen before or after. God eventually makes right the shamelessness of evil’s ugly acts in His sight.

“It’s been useless—all my watching over this fellow’s property in the desert so that nothing of his was missing. He has paid me back evil for good” (1 Samuel 25:21).

When evil intent is injected into a relationship, we must resist firing back with equally evil actions. We cannot lower ourselves to this kind of schoolyard revenge. The question is not, “What is the right thing for them to do?” The question is, “What is the right thing for me to do?” You can reverse the force of the verbal jabs by returning good for evil. When you choose not to fight false accusations by accosting your accuser, you repay good for evil.

The Lord Almighty can take care of evil people and their actions. Wait on Him to settle matters as He sees fit, especially if you have the option to hurt someone. Trust Christ to deal with them in His timing. Evildoers may never change, but they might. It is a heart issue between them and God. In the meantime, when you encounter evil, repay it with good and trust Jesus. The goodness of God trumps evil, for evil is no match for God’s goodness.

“If you repay good with evil, evil will never leave your house” (Proverbs 17:13 NLT).

What good deed has a friend done that needs my positive support in the face of unfair criticism?

Related Readings
Genesis 44:4; 1 Samuel 19:4; Psalm 35:12; 1 Peter 3:17

Revived by God

After the three and a half days the breath of life from God entered them, and they stood on their feet, and terror struck those who saw them.
REVELATION 11:11

A once-thriving spiritual life can go unconscious. As with a lifeless body on an emergency room gurney, a sudden shock of the heart is needed to revive the temporarily deceased. If someone’s faith emits only a faint pulse, they need a jolt. The Lord loves His children too much to leave them in a disconnected spiritual state. His breath fills a faithful follower’s lungs with fresh air.

Holy God brings His holy prophets back to life by breathing life into their lungs, similar to the way His breath revived dry bones so many centuries earlier (Ezekiel 37:1-14). As the resurrected servants of God stand to their feet, terror strikes those who thought the truth tellers had been snuffed out, not to be heard from again. But with only a moment’s notice, the Lord calls His servants to ascend in a cloud to heaven as earth’s inhabitants remained terrified.

“I live in a high and holy place, but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite” (Isaiah 57:15).

A humble and contrite heart unleashes Christ’s love into a spiritual life. Therefore we humbly approach holy God, who is high and lifted up and who longs to lift up our prayers of repentance and rejoicing. Our heavenly Father is drawn to our desperate need for Him. He reaches out with both hands, lays them on our heads, and renews our minds with His truth. We call on His name because He is worthy of our worship and because we need His face to shine on us.

Do you need a jolt from Jesus to bring your faith back to life? When our spiritual life is revived, we turn away from sin and toward the Lord. Perhaps your appetite for God is starved and needs an intravenous line of love from the Lord Almighty to restore your spiritual life. Engage the Holy Spirit with a humble spirit, and He will revive you. Seek Christ with a contrite heart, and He will restore the joy of your salvation. God revives so we can thrive for Him!

“They will see God’s face and shout for joy; he will restore them to full well-being” (Job 33:26).
Heavenly Father, revive my spirit to follow Your Spirit, and give me spiritual life through Your life.

Related Readings
Psalms 51:10-12; 80:18-19; Hosea 6:2; Acts 3:21; 1 Peter 5:10

Pride Comes Before a Fall

That ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.
REVELATION 12:9

A pedestal of pride looks down on what it deems “inferior souls.” Pride is a position of self-worship that threatens integrity and influence. Like a drug, pride is addictive and impairs good judgment. If it could be packaged as a pill in a prescription bottle, the label would read, “Warning: taken too often in large doses may lead to a great fall, even death.” If we don’t wake up from a narcissistic dream, it can turn into a hellish nightmare. Relationships will be wrecked, and reputations will be ruined.

Similar to the serpent in the Garden of Eden, the shifty devil is an enemy to the woman and all who are under her influence. The dragon (Satan) tries to devour the woman’s son, but He is protected by God and exalted to His heavenly throne (Revelation 12:4-5). This war in heaven, prompted by Satan’s desire to usurp God’s authority (Isaiah 14:12-15), results in his fall to earth along with a third of the angels. Pride left unchecked brings heartache and a hellish descent.

“So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!” (1 Corinthians 10:12).

A prayerful posture dethrones pride and replaces it with humility. When we have faith, Jesus is able to storm the gates of hell, take captive the enemy, and release us from the prison of pride. The Lord lifts us out of the slimy pit of pride and sets us on His solid rock of righteousness. It is firm because our feet are planted on the ground of grace. Thus, we are careful to see ourselves as God sees us: needy and dependent on His Spirit.

You will stand firm by faith in Christ and trust that He is in control. Let go and let God make you whole. Let go and let the Lord take you further faster. Let go and let Christ make you content. Let go and let the Spirit show you the way. Let go and let Jesus give you joy. Approach Him with humility, and your pride will diminish. Pride has no place in the personality of a child of God. You are the result of grace alone—the Lord lifts up the humble to stand firm in Him.

“He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand” (Psalm 40:2).
What pedestals of pride in my life need to be toppled?

Related Readings
Psalm 18:27; Proverbs 16:18; Isaiah 13:11; Romans 12:16

Doubt the Devil’s Accusations

The accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.
REVELATION 12:10

John flushes out the true intent of the devil—the accuser of the brethren whose goal is to tell lies that lead us to doubt the Lord. This dragon of death attempts to drag everyone down with him to the depths of hell. In an instant Satan snatched a third of the angels and cast them out of heaven to become demonic tormentors on earth (Revelation 12:4). The devil and his demons are persistent in their accusations to discredit Christ and His followers.

Now that you have aged in years as a Christian, you may have formalized your faith to the point where the mundane is more likely than the miraculous. Questions and doubt have replaced God’s promises of assurance. You ask, “Did God really say my relationship with Him is based on my belief in Jesus Christ as His Son (John 14:6)? Did God really say that those who believe in Jesus go to heaven, and those who reject Him are separated from God eternally in hell (Revelation 20:15)?”

“He said to the woman, ‘Did God really say, “You must not eat from any tree in the garden”?’ ” (Genesis 3:1).

“Did God really say that I am to pay my taxes as an example of good citizenship (Mark 12:17)? Did God really say I am to honor my parents, even if they are undeserving of honor (Ephesians 6:1-3)? Did God really say to volunteer in the church, start tithing, stay in this marriage, forgive my friend, invest in my family, and help my neighbor? Did He really say to trust Him, even when I don’t feel Him? Am I to obey Him when I don’t understand why or how?” Yes to all!

Your Lord has proven Himself time and time again as faithful and dependable. Even when you strayed, your Savior has been there when you turn back to truth. Christ is totally trustworthy. Find protection in His warnings, find assurance in His promises, and find guidance in His rules for living. Trust His track record of provision, and believe His truth will set you free. Always doubt the devil’s accusations, but never doubt God’s promises.

“Jesus said to him, ‘Away from me, Satan! For it is written: “Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.”’ Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him” (Matthew 4:10-11).
What doubts do I need to unmask as the devil’s accusations? How can I release them to God?

Related Readings
2 Chronicles 33:12; Job 36:16-19; John 20:27; Jude 22

Persistence Invites Persecution

Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring—those who keep God’s commands and hold fast their testimony about Jesus.
REVELATION 12:17

Has rejection caused you to give up on an opportunity or a person? Are you tired of trying to do the right thing without seeing positive results? At this point of frustration and fear, God calls us to persevere in prayer, to love individuals aggressively, and to trust in the Lord. Those who give up in the face of opposition are giving up on God. Like an oscillating fan, your faith may waver back and forth between confidence and uncertainty, so hit the button of belief. Stay faithful to Jesus.

John makes clear whom the devil is most determined to target with temptation and trials: the followers of Christ who keep God’s commands and who are not ashamed of their testimony. Satan is not concerned about “Christians” who have no real evidence of faith, who only go through the motions of religion without a vibrant outward expression of a deep inward work of the Holy Spirit. But the devil is enraged by a person’s persistent love for God and people.

“He will give eternal life to those who patiently do the will of God, seeking for the unseen glory and honor and eternal life that he offers” (Romans 2:7 TLB).

A faithful man or woman in the hands of God has the attention of heaven and earth. It’s not the individual full of energy at the outset who outlasts others; it’s the wise one who applies vigor over the long haul, strengthened by the Savior’s stamina. Faithful fortitude forges great relationships and gets long-term results. Anyone can start a race with excitement and anticipation, but fewer are the runners who climb the hills, overcome the adverse elements, and finish the course. You may not be the fastest—you may not finish first—but by God’s grace you will finish well.

Most of all, stay persistent in prayer. Respond to God as the violin responds to the bow of the master. The Lord makes beautiful music on the strings of a life surrendered to Him. Persist through the pain of rejection and the pressures of responsibility, all the while maintaining an attitude of prayer. Persistent prayer to Jesus produces His best outcomes. Persistence pays off when you are prepared to move forward on behalf of your Master, Jesus Christ.

“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).
What relationship or opportunity calls for my focused attention and persistence?

Related Readings
Numbers 14:38; Daniel 6:10; Luke 18:1-5; Acts 20:22-25; Romans 2:7

False Worshippers

People worshiped the dragon because he had given authority to the beast, and they also worshiped the beast.
REVELATION 13:4

There is a false religion that has no authentic faith in Jesus Christ. People who lack a real relationship with the Lord can know all the right words to say without knowing the Word who became flesh. These fake followers of Jesus may mislead other church members, but they can’t deceive Almighty God. A false faith fails for lack of focus on the true God. The beast seeks to mimic Jesus but persecutes and kills, while Jesus loves and saves.

Therefore, we are all wise to examine our hearts and ask the Holy Spirit to validate our conversion to Christ. The Spirit of our heavenly Father drew us to Himself, and the same Spirit of God affirms our faith. We do not pass from death to life by just living in a household of faith; we come to Christ by taking hold of faith in Him. Our transaction of trust in Jesus seals our future—we will be with Jesus. He keeps us secure and focused on authentic worship.

“No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day” (John 6:44).

Are you a counterfeit follower of Christ or a true disciple? Are you sure of your salvation? If you are in doubt, seek out your Savior Jesus, who can remove your concerns. Cry to Him in confession and repentance from your sin of unbelief and embrace your Lord in fidelity of faith. Just as marriage is a public commitment of a man and woman, so your conversion is a public commitment of your total trust in Jesus. Other sincere saints who humbly seek the Lord surround you in prayer and support, and God offers assurance.

The Holy Spirit is able to flush out false worship and replace it with genuine faith in Jesus. He is able to root out unscrupulous motives and exchange them for love and obedience. Examine your heart, but more importantly, allow the Lord to do a spiritual examination. God validates your salvation on this side of death so there will be no surprises on the other side. Confess Jesus as Lord now, and there will be no doubt about your fate later. True worship of God is in the Spirit and in truth—Jesus.

“God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth” (John 4:24).
Heavenly Father, I trust Jesus, Lord of my life, to save my soul.

Related Readings
Hosea 8:12; Matthew 7:21-23; Romans 8:16; 10:9; Ephesians 1:17; 1 John 3:24

Poisonous Words

The beast was given a mouth to utter proud words and blasphemies and to exercise its authority for forty-two months.
REVELATION 13:5

Poisonous words come from a proud heart. In our original state of sin, Satan, the old serpent, infected us with the venom of injurious words. We have to watch what we say, or we may regret it later. When people are angry, they tend to say what their parents said in their anger. It is a vicious cycle of cynicism that only Christ can break. Psalm 140:3 says, “They make their tongues as sharp as a serpent’s; the poison of vipers is on their lips.”

Instead of lashing out with language that stings or slanders, take time to cool down so you can think calmly and clearly. Frustration tends to feed judgmental behavior. When our throat is dry and our blood pressure is up, we do well to keep quiet instead of allowing our anger and other emotions to produce judgmental, poisonous words.

“A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger” (Proverbs 15:1).

If you have been bitten by bitter words, then apply the balm of first bowing down to Christ. Jesus has just what the wounded soul and hurting heart need. The Holy Spirit helps you discern how you can become better, and He gives you the patience, humility, and wisdom to know when to wait or when to confront. Victims of poisonous words need the serum of their Savior’s love and forgiveness. When applied liberally and regularly, it allows you to handle harsh words with an understanding and nondefensive attitude.

Followers of Jesus are men and women of “no reputation.” God should get the glory, and He grants us a good name. Go to the Lord when your pride has been punctured by poisonous words, and ask Him for strength to forgive and grace to extend pleasant words. Don’t stew when you have been stung by slander. Rather, apply the ointment of God’s grace. Pleasant words work out the hurt and so it will give way to hope. “I love you.” “I believe in you.” “How can I help?” “How can I pray for you?” Words like these bring out the best in those in need of soul nourishment. Emotions venture back out into vulnerability within a safe environment of encouragement. Offer pleasant words to feed hungry hearts.

“Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones” (Proverbs 16:24).
What pleasant words can I use to mend a wounded relationship?

Related Readings
Proverbs 12:25; 15:4; Zechariah 1:13; Acts 20:2; 1 Peter 5:12

Patient Endurance

This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of God’s people.
REVELATION 13:10

Patient endurance is not easy, but it is necessary. If you change jobs every two years, ten times in a row, you do not have twenty years of work experience. You have two years of work experience in ten different places. Make sure to learn what God intends for you to learn where you are before moving on. One of Satan’s ploys is to keep you reactive to life rather than proactive, resulting in a shallow faith.

Your faith has the chance to deepen when you stay somewhere for a while, but your faith remains shallow when you run from resistance. Resistance is a faith builder. When life presses against you—even from all sides—you have the opportunity for growth. This is where patient endurance can serve you well. Patient endurance tells you to stay in your marriage “for better or for worse.” Patient endurance allows God to change you for the better, and it encourages you to trust Him to do the same for your spouse.

“Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart” (Hebrews 12:3).

Patient endurance is illustrated throughout the Bible. Jesus patiently endured the cross. He patiently endured His critics, and ultimately, He more than restored His reputation when He proved His claims by His resurrected life. David patiently endured the fallout from his adultery and murder. He had pushed himself to the point of totally turning his back on God, but instead, he turned back to God and became a broken and humbled leader. Hannah patiently endured her inability to bear children. Her faithfulness to God during barrenness was a testimony of encouragement to friends, family, and a nation. Her womb was empty, but her faith was pregnant with God’s possibilities.

Do not confuse procrastination with patient endurance. Patient endurance is active and productive. It is not misguided, apathetic, or irresponsible waiting. It is daily depending on and seeking God for His best. Therefore, patiently endure for God’s sake and for the sake of others. Heavenly rewards await those who patiently endure. Use your influence to help others patiently endure their situations. Faithfulness—especially when you don’t feel it naturally—is evidence of a maturing faith. You may be on the verge of experiencing God’s very best. Patient endurance pays off!

“You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about” (James 5:11).
How can I grow my patience in affliction, so I can be a blessing to those around me for Jesus’s sake?

Related Readings
Acts 14:21-22; Romans 5:3; Philippians 1:27-30; Hebrews 10:32,36; James 1:2-4

Call for Wisdom

This calls for wisdom.
REVELATION 13:18

Wisdom is required more often than we realize. Wisdom cuts through emotion and gets to the reality of the situation. “What is the wise thing to do?” is an effective question in decision making. “What is best for the enterprise?” is a wise question to ask as it relates to business and ministry. Many times God speaks through money or the lack thereof. If money is tight, we need to be extremely wise with expenditures. Wisdom tells us to wait for the Lord’s provision before spending.

Do you solicit wisdom on a consistent basis? Knowledge and experience mixed with common sense and discernment is a great recipe for wisdom. Wisdom is seeking to understand God’s perspective on matters. This is why the wisdom found in God’s Word is so relevant for living.
The Bible is a treasure trove waiting to be discovered by the wisdom hunter. Pray, read, and meditate on the Bible, but also seek out the wise. Look for people with gray in their hair, people who exhibit wise behavior. They will help you choose the best course.

“Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm” (Proverbs 13:20).

Wisdom’s crown jewel is the fear of the Lord: “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline” (Proverbs 1:7). The fear of God positions you to receive wisdom. Having no fear of God means you lack wisdom. No wonder our world is filled with fools. We have lost our fear of God, and wisdom has eluded us. The fear of the Lord is an incubator for wisdom, as God dispenses wisdom to those who fear Him.

Love God, worship God, learn from God, serve God… and fear Him. Your fear of God qualifies you for wisdom. Do not become so familiar with God that you lose your fear of God—that would lead to foolishness. Wisdom awaits your humble prayer. Pluck it and enjoy it like plump, luscious fruit on a hot summer day. Taste and see that wisdom is good. No one has ever complained of attaining too much wisdom. Call on wisdom often. Ask God and wise people for wisdom, for this is the faithful thing to do.

“If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you” (James 1:5).
Who are the wise people in my life with whom I can spend time and learn from their experiences?

Related Readings
1 Kings 3:3-15; Proverbs 2:6; Luke 2:52; 1 Corinthians 1:25

Praise to God During Pain

They sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders.
REVELATION 14:3

As I recovered from cancer treatment a few years ago, I found the physical discomfort to be excruciating. I asked my wife, Rita, for the pain medication. I also asked her to hold me and play the worship song “How He Loves Us.” We sat together embracing each other as we praised and worshipped God. One line in the song, which refers to our afflictions being eclipsed by glory, became very real in my painful condition. In the middle of our little worship service, I felt a whole lot of my heavenly Father’s love. Praising God amid our pain releases His reassuring refrain: “I love you.”

During the intense pain of intimidation, the beast uses fearful manipulation by marking those who bow to his economic threats (Revelation 13:16-18)—but the 144,000 new followers of Jesus learn to sing a new song of praise to their Savior and Lord. Contrary to the beast, these blameless believers are marked by their Father and the Lamb and are compelled to heartfelt worship.

“As for me, afflicted and in pain—may your salvation, God, protect me. I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving” (Psalm 69:29-30).

God’s grace gives us the ability to praise and thank Him in the middle of our most severe afflictions. Our praise perspective sees and receives the Lord’s love above our adversity. We may have encountered unjust treatment, but we know the Just One is in control. Our Savior Jesus, who allows us to be confined for a time, is the same Savior who sends an earthquake to set us free. When we praise the Lord in our pain, we gain His peace. Hymns sung to God draw us closer to Him.

Our pain may come in many forms: rejection, loneliness, financial stress, guilt over the past, fear of the future, chronic caregiving, marital strife, or a friend who let us down. Ask the Lord to help you be emboldened in your faith, not embittered, as you journey with Jesus through trials. God inhabits the praises of His people (Psalm 22:3). Praise God in your pain, and you will give glory to His fame. Praise sets you free to serve in the Spirit’s strength. Pray not to be pain-free, but to be set free.

“The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him” (Psalm 28:7).

Lord, help me praise You in my pain so that I will gain Your peace and be drawn closer to You.

Related Readings
Psalm 112:7; Isaiah 26:3; Romans 5:3-5; James 1:2-4; 1 Peter 4:13

Love Loves the Truth

No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless.
REVELATION 14:5

Truth reveals hidden realities. Hence, the lover of truth daily discovers new opportunities to walk wisely in the ways of Christ. Because He is the Truth, a love relationship with Jesus illuminates truth by His Spirit and illustrates truth by His life. The fruit of truth grows in a life of educated faith. Those who romance truth in God’s Word grow to know Him in deeper intimacy. Just as a loving husband pursues his wife, so loving followers of Jesus seek out His truth and His example.

Are your relationships founded on truth or deception? If you commit to open agendas, pure motives, and transparent communication, you value truth. Honesty is a tool for loving correction, not a club for angry retaliation. You speak the truth in love to one another and so bear one another’s burdens. You rejoice as you do life together. Speaking the truth encourages trust between people as friends forge a relationship free of dishonesty.

“Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth” (1 Corinthians 13:6).

Love loves the truth. When we love someone enough to lead them from their ignorance, we show we care. Love takes the time to explain and instruct, not complain and erupt. You patiently instruct your children in the teachings of Christ so they will come to know Him and grow in His grace. Even though the whole story can be difficult to tell, help your child to respect the truth.

Season the truth with the spices of humility and grace. Truth is volatile in the hands of a prideful messenger, but embedded in a heart of humble grace, the truth transforms the one who hears it. “Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God” (2 Corinthians 4:2). Also, use humor to soften hard facts that seem harsh when spoken directly. Levity can assist you when the seriousness of a situation becomes real. Above all, love Jesus, who is truth personified. His Spirit will direct you to live truth in a spirit of love.

“Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth” (1 John 3:18).
Heavenly Father, my heart is to know You and Your truth so I can help others be set free.

Related Readings
Psalm 145:18; Romans 12:9; Ephesians 5:9; 2 John 1-3

Shameless Proclamation of the Gospel

I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth—to every nation, tribe, language and people.
REVELATION 14:6

Satan sometimes shames seekers when they begin to take God and His Word seriously. The enemy plants seeds of doubt related to intellectual honesty and the fear of being labeled a religious fanatic. The devil wants Jesus believers to be apologetic and embarrassed to live for the Lord, not declaring His teachings as the gospel truth. But in fact, there is no shame in standing up for Christ and His commands. Faith reveals His fame.

Instead, we are to be ashamed of sin and its deplorable outcome, while embracing wise living. Shame enslaves us in our self-focused behavior, but we are emancipated by our selfless service to others. Our Savior Jesus does not seek to motivate us out of disgrace; rather He infuses His grace into our inner being. The good news of salvation in Christ gives us the confidence to love all people. God’s power is shameless.

“If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels” (Mark 8:38).

Your prayer is for Jesus to be unashamed of you. Offer Him your daily attitude and actions to anoint with His favor. Can your conduct pass the scrutiny of your Savior’s examination? Is there anything in your life that could bring reproach to His name? Holy reverence for God avoids any potential embarrassment to His name. Because you deeply respect your heavenly Father, you honor Him with a life that brings Him glory.

His power rests on you when the gospel governs your worldview. The Lord’s power exerts itself with quiet but effective influence. God entrusts you with the power of His ideas to do good for Him. Harness the Holy Spirit’s energy for eternal purposes. Look for ways to get the gospel to those who are sick, in prison, neglected in nursing homes, and hungry in housing projects. Work to share the good news with every tribe, nation, language, and people. There is no shame in representing your Savior Jesus, so be stunningly shameless.

“I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile” (Romans 1:16).
Lord, how can I be shameless in declaring and living out Your good news?

Related Readings
Genesis 2:25; Psalm 25:3; Isaiah 54:4; Romans 6:21; Philippians 1:20

Back
Top Bottom