Turning from sin

I always just point people to Romans 10 …

Romans 10:8-11 [NASB]

But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. For the Scripture says, "WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE PUT TO SHAME."

God seemed pretty clear on the requirements in this passage.

Repent.. is a change of mind, heart. It's not a behaviour of cleaning your life up.

It's going from unbelief to belief..not 'Turning from sins'.
Repentance is always a change of mind about what is right in terms of behavior, whether physical actions, or attitudes, or point of views. It is always about changing how we act, think, and present ourselves in relation to our old ways of life and habits.

It is both a change of mind from unbelief to believing, and a change of mind as to how we conduct ourselves; a turning from our previous types of actions toward new behaviors. Repentance is a change of direction in every avenue of our living experiences.

Doug

New Testament repentance I don't believe is meaning the repentance of repenting of sins A, B or C. But here me out. Our repentance is to make an about face and change by an act of our will who will now be our Lord and King. However incorporated in the idea of making Christ Lord is the knowing that his word and ways are to over ride anything which is contrary to what pleases him.....

and those things which are contrary to what pleases him is sin. Now after receiving Christ you now become a partaker of the divine nature and the work of sanctification is then to begin. If you just don't allow sanctification and change to take place in your life by having his word which is his life and power to change you.....then you have to ask......

did you really embrace from your heart the Lordship of Jesus over you to begin with? If you did then you're going to be willing to work through the sanctification process which means YES giving up your prior sins of A, B or C.

Again.. a person who is lost.. before salvation.. can't do any kind of behaviour that is going to lead to salvation aside from going from unbelief to belief. It is that simple.

This belief will lead to fruit in the life of the person who is sealed by the Holy Spirit, but their is nothing behaviour wise before salvation we can do except believe.

This is my point : a person dead in sin can only believe. That is it.

Making Jesus 'Lord of your life'.. like a behaviour of change.. can only happen AFTER conversion. I'll leave it at that.

I've heard that explained the same way many, many times I agree. People that believe in Sinless Perfection are only fooling themselves. We are going to sin. The best remedy that I've been able to come up with, and it's not a perfect solution but it's in the right direction. Is to stay in the light. Abide in Jesus. Make a determined effort to try not to sin.

We are not sinless we are saints that sin less.

“If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth” 1 John 1:8

You will never be sinless on this planet, but it is possible to sin less.
There was that one time when I was sinless for about 8 hours and then I woke up.

Back
Top Bottom