The Unforgivable Sin: What is it?

jeremiah1five

MATTHEW:
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. Mt 12:30–37.

MARK:
28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: Mk 3:28–29.

LUKE:
10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. Lk 12:10.

The unforgivable sin: What is it?

MARK:
28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: Mk 3:28–29.

The unforgivable sin: What is it?

30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

Extrapolate. What is the unforgivable sin?

Great question. The Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit are the same thing I believe. The Holy Scriptures are said to be inspired by God who is the Holy Spirit. Telling someone that the Holy Spirit, which is God, is a liar and is not telling the truth, would be blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, in my understanding. This is what the serpent in the garden convinced Eve of, that the Holy Spirit lied to her.

Jesus addresses this as well, in my view.

John 10: 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; (Why? Because it is inspired by the Holy Spirit) 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and "sent into the world", Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? 37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. 38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father (Holy Spirit) is in me, and I in him.

And again;

Luke 17: 1 Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! 2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

Paul and David speaks of this as well.

Psalms 14: 1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. 2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. 3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one. 4 Have all the "workers of iniquity" no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD. 5 There were they in great fear: for God is in "the generation of the righteous". 6 Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the LORD is his refuge.

Psalms 5: 4 For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee. 5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity. 6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man. 7 But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple. 8 Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face. 9 For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue.

Rom. 3: 7 For if the truth of God (The Holy Spirit) hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner? (Who is judging Paul as a Sinner?)

8 And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just. (Who is slandering Paul, "whose damnation is just"?) 9 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;

Who is still under Sin? The Body of Christ? Or those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit Paul walks in? Where did Paul "before prove" this?

( Is this not the place of which Paul speaks? Romans 2: 9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile)

10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

Attributing a demonic spirit to Christ.
Yes it’s saying Jesus miracles were done by an evil spirit hence blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

My belief is this is impossible to commit in our day because one had to witness Jesus miracles in person like the Pharisees did who accused Him. Since Jesus is no longer walking this earth doing miracles that unforgivable sin cannot be committed today.

Yes it’s saying Jesus miracles were done by an evil spirit hence blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

My belief is this is impossible to commit in our day because one had to witness Jesus miracles in person like the Pharisees did who accused Him. Since Jesus is no longer walking this earth doing miracles that unforgivable sin cannot be committed today.

Do you think that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit can continue today (and afterwards) in that everyone who rejects Christ (who is and what He has done) is denying Him?

Do you think that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit can continue today (and afterwards) in that everyone who rejects Christ (who is and what He has done) is denying Him?
No I think it was a specific sin committed by the Pharisees who witnessed Jesus miracles.

Great question. The Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit are the same thing I believe.
When the KJV bible was being translated the translators were taken from Westminster and Oxford and one school preferred "Spirit" and the other "Ghost."
The Holy Scriptures are said to be inspired by God who is the Holy Spirit. Telling someone that the Holy Spirit, which is God, is a liar and is not telling the truth, would be blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, in my understanding. This is what the serpent in the garden convinced Eve of, that the Holy Spirit lied to her.
Calling a Christian a "liar" is tossed around so much here that everyone has committed the unforgivable sin. Jesus said, "what you do the these the least of my brethren you have done it unto me."
No, that's not it. Jesus died for all manner of sin except one. What is it?
The last line there you call the Third Person of the Trinity the First Person of the Trinity ("that the father (Holy Spirit) is in me..." is incorrect. That would be called Modalism or Sabellianism. Both of these heresies have been rejected in Christianity.

Who is still under Sin? The Body of Christ? Or those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit Paul walks in? Where did Paul "before prove" this?
We are ALL still under sin.
So, what is the unforgivable sin?

No I think it was a specific sin committed by the Pharisees who witnessed Jesus miracles.
But then Elijah and Moses you say are the two witnesses of Revelation perform miracles as turning water to blood surely there will be some still today and tomorrow when they do that who will commit the unforgivable sin if anyone attributes their miracles to "Satan" if Satan is understood to be Lucifer.

But then Elijah and Moses you say are the two witnesses of Revelation perform miracles as turning water to blood surely there will be some still today and tomorrow when they do that who will commit the unforgivable sin if anyone attributes their miracles to "Satan" if Satan is understood to be Lucifer.
nope you are conflating Jesus who is God with prophets who are mere men.

Thus, by doing so they were blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

No need to try again.
It's the same correct answer.
If a Christian witnesses what can be a miracle of God and mistakenly at first doesn't believe it and in this call God a liar, they have committed the unforgivable sin.
Or if Christians here post a comment and someone who may not understand accuses the member of posting "heresy" and "lies" and other things they are attributing that post as a lie they are in effect calling God (Holy Spirit) a liar and have committed the unforgivable sin.
No, that's not it. There's more to it than what you're saying.

Ah, but if it is true what you say and I disbelieve it have I called the Holy Spirit a liar and committed the unforgivable sin?

10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. 1 Jn 5:9–10.

Yup. I have committed the unforgivable sin if what you said is true.

And what if you disagree with what I said if I claim such and such is bible truth, you, too, have committed the unforgivable sin if I am correct.
Nope. There's more to it than that.

nope you are conflating Jesus who is God with prophets who are mere men.
Jesus was a Prophet. People who have in the past whether you hear about them in giving a testimony of their salvation used to say all kinds of terrible things against the Holy Spirit and yet they are up there on the podium claiming Jesus saved them. How can they be saved if their witness was in calling something done by God the Holy Spirit as being from the "devil"?
How many unbelievers have done this?

When you witness to someone about Jesus and they walk away rejecting the Word of God you may have witnessed to them they are in effect not believing your testimony and any Scripture you read them, that's calling God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit a liar.

10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. 1 Jn 5:9–10.

They are calling truth a lie and good an evil.

If the unforgivable sin is in the tongue, then mostly everybody has attributed God's Word as a lie when they don't believe it. Even Christians.

Jesus was a Prophet. People who have in the past whether you hear about them in giving a testimony of their salvation used to say all kinds of terrible things against the Holy Spirit and yet they are up there on the podium claiming Jesus saved them. How can they be saved if their witness was in calling something done by God the Holy Spirit as being from the "devil"?
How many unbelievers have done this?

When you witness to someone about Jesus and they walk away rejecting the Word of God you may have witnessed to them they are in effect not believing your testimony and any Scripture you read them, that's calling God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit a liar.

They are calling truth a lie and good an evil.

If the unforgivable sin is in the tongue, then mostly everybody has attributed God's Word as a lie when they don't believe it. Even Christians.
No the unforgivable sin is the following :

According to Jesus, the unpardonable or unforgivable sin is unique. It is the one iniquity that will never be forgiven (“never” is the meaning of “either in this age or in the age to come” in Matthew 12:32). The unforgivable sin is blasphemy (“defiant irreverence”) of the Holy Spirit in the context of the Spirit’s work in the world through Christ. In other words, the particular case of blasphemy seen in Matthew 12and Mark 3 is unique. The guilty party, a group of Pharisees, had witnessed irrefutable evidence that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, yet they claimed that He was possessed by the prince of demons, Beelzebul (Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:30).

The Jewish leaders of Jesus’ day committed the unpardonable sin by accusing Jesus Christ (in person, on earth) of being demon-possessed. They had no excuse for such an action. They were not speaking out of ignorance or misunderstanding. The Pharisees knew that Jesus was the Messiah sent by God to save Israel. They knew the prophecies were being fulfilled. They saw Jesus’ wonderful works, and they heard His clear presentation of truth. Yet they deliberately chose to deny the truth and slander the Holy Spirit. Standing before the Light of the World, bathed in His glory, they defiantly closed their eyes and became willfully blind. Jesus pronounced that sin to be unforgivable.

The blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, specific as it was to the Pharisees’ situation, cannot be duplicated today. Jesus Christ is not on earth, and no one can personally see Jesus perform a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit. The only unpardonable sin today is that of continued unbelief. There is no pardon for a person who dies in his rejection of Christ. The Holy Spirit is at work in the world, convicting the unsaved of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). If a person resists that conviction and remains unrepentant, then he is choosing hell over heaven. “Without faith it is impossible to please God” (Hebrews 11:6), and the object of faith is Jesus (Acts 16:31). There is no forgiveness for someone who dies without faith in Christ.

God has provided for our salvation in His Son (John 3:16). Forgiveness is found exclusively in Jesus (John 14:6). To reject the only Savior is to be left with no means of salvation; to reject the only pardon is, obviously, unpardonable.

Many people fear they have committed some sin that God cannot or will not forgive, and they feel there is no hope for them, no matter what they do. Satan would like nothing more than to keep people laboring under that misconception. God gives encouragement to the sinner who is convicted of his sin: “Come near to God and he will come near to you” (James 4:8). “Where sin increased, grace increased all the more” (Romans 5:20). And the testimony of Paul is proof positive that God can and will save anyone who comes to Him in faith (1 Timothy 1:12–17). If you are suffering under a load of guilt today, rest assured that you have not committed the unpardonable sin. God is waiting with open arms. Jesus’ promise is that “he is able to save completely those who come to God through him” (Hebrews 7:25). Our Lord will never fail. “Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation” (Isaiah 12:2).got?

hope this helps !!!

No the unforgivable sin is the following :

According to Jesus, the unpardonable or unforgivable sin is unique. It is the one iniquity that will never be forgiven (“never” is the meaning of “either in this age or in the age to come” in Matthew 12:32). The unforgivable sin is blasphemy (“defiant irreverence”) of the Holy Spirit in the context of the Spirit’s work in the world through Christ. In other words, the particular case of blasphemy seen in Matthew 12and Mark 3 is unique. The guilty party, a group of Pharisees, had witnessed irrefutable evidence that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, yet they claimed that He was possessed by the prince of demons, Beelzebul (Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:30).

The Jewish leaders of Jesus’ day committed the unpardonable sin by accusing Jesus Christ (in person, on earth) of being demon-possessed. They had no excuse for such an action. They were not speaking out of ignorance or misunderstanding. The Pharisees knew that Jesus was the Messiah sent by God to save Israel. They knew the prophecies were being fulfilled. They saw Jesus’ wonderful works, and they heard His clear presentation of truth. Yet they deliberately chose to deny the truth and slander the Holy Spirit. Standing before the Light of the World, bathed in His glory, they defiantly closed their eyes and became willfully blind. Jesus pronounced that sin to be unforgivable.

The blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, specific as it was to the Pharisees’ situation, cannot be duplicated today. Jesus Christ is not on earth, and no one can personally see Jesus perform a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit. The only unpardonable sin today is that of continued unbelief. There is no pardon for a person who dies in his rejection of Christ. The Holy Spirit is at work in the world, convicting the unsaved of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). If a person resists that conviction and remains unrepentant, then he is choosing hell over heaven. “Without faith it is impossible to please God” (Hebrews 11:6), and the object of faith is Jesus (Acts 16:31). There is no forgiveness for someone who dies without faith in Christ.

God has provided for our salvation in His Son (John 3:16). Forgiveness is found exclusively in Jesus (John 14:6). To reject the only Savior is to be left with no means of salvation; to reject the only pardon is, obviously, unpardonable.

Many people fear they have committed some sin that God cannot or will not forgive, and they feel there is no hope for them, no matter what they do. Satan would like nothing more than to keep people laboring under that misconception. God gives encouragement to the sinner who is convicted of his sin: “Come near to God and he will come near to you” (James 4:8). “Where sin increased, grace increased all the more” (Romans 5:20). And the testimony of Paul is proof positive that God can and will save anyone who comes to Him in faith (1 Timothy 1:12–17). If you are suffering under a load of guilt today, rest assured that you have not committed the unpardonable sin. God is waiting with open arms. Jesus’ promise is that “he is able to save completely those who come to God through him” (Hebrews 7:25). Our Lord will never fail. “Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation” (Isaiah 12:2).got?

hope this helps !!!
Can you say that no unbeliever has ever been "defiant irreverent"?

The people that did that defiant irreverent Last Supper at the Olympics have committed the unforgivable sin so there is no need to witness to them. Even their lives today as gay or trans or being male and mimicking being female is defiant irreverence towards God and the Spirit that made them male and female, Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

Can you say that no unbeliever has ever been "defiant irreverent"?

The people that did that defiant irreverent Last Supper at the Olympics have committed the unforgivable sin so there is no need to witness to them. Even their lives today as gay or trans or being male and mimicking being female is defiant irreverence towards God and the Spirit that made them male and female, Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.
Defiant and irreverent is not the unpardonable sin otherwise no one would be saved.

Back
Top Bottom