The Gospel In Vipers

Olde Tymer

John 3:14-17 . . As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must
the Son of Man be lifted up; that whoever believes may in him have eternal life. For
God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son, that whoever believes
in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

The incident to which Christ referred is located at Num 21:5-9.

Long story short: Moses' people became weary of eating manna all the time at
every meal. But instead of courteously, and diplomatically, petitioning their divine
benefactor for a different diet, they became indignant and confrontational; angrily
demanding better accommodations.

In response to their insolence, and their ingratitude for His providence; God sent a
swarm of deadly poisonous vipers among them; which began striking people; and
every strike was 100% fatal, no exceptions.

After a number of people died, the rest came to their senses and begged Moses to
intercede. In reply; The Lord instructed Moses to fashion a replica of the vipers and
hoist it up on a pole in plain view so that everyone dying from venom could look to
it for relief.

The key issue here is that the replica was the only God-given remedy for the
people's bites-- not sacrifices and offerings, not tithing, not church attendance, not
scapulars, not confession, not holy days of obligation, not the Sabbath, not
rosaries, not weeping, not the golden rule, not charity, not Bible study and/or
Sunday school, not self denial, not vows of poverty, not the Ten Commandments,
nor even one's ideology of choice, i.e. it wouldn't have mattered whether somebody
was Muslim, Hindu, Jew, Buddhist, Catholic, Protestant, Baha'i, Atheist, Agnostic,
Pagan, or whatever-- the replica was it; nothing else would suffice to save their lives.

As an allegory, the replica speaks of Christ's crucifixion for the sins of the world as
the only God-given rescue from the wrath of God; and when people accept it, then
according to John 3:14-17 and John 5:24, they qualify for a transfer from death
into life. Those who reject his crucifixion as the only God-given rescue from the
sum of all fears, are already on the docket to face it.

John 3:18 . .Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not
believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of
God's one and only Son.

I recommend finding a quiet place; anywhere will do. Cover you face with your
hands for a sense of connection, and tell God you have never yet measured up to
His standards and you're pretty sure you never will. Tell Him you would like to take
advantage of His son's death; and thank Him for His time.
_

Those bitten by poisonous serpents, in order to be healed, had to be obedient to the instructions to go and look upon the bronze serpent upon the pole to be healed..."and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live." Doing nothing, that is, faith only that one would be cured without going and looking left one to die. Their going and looking upon the bronze serpent was not a work of merit whereby they earned a cure but a necessary condition God placed upon His free gift of being cured.

Those who have been bitten by the poison of sin must go to the cross of Christ in obedience in believing (Jn 8:24) repenting of sins (Lk 13:3) confession (Mt 10:32-33) and baptism (Mk 16:16) to find a cure. "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?" Lk 6:46

Just as anyone, everyone who was bitten could go and look upon the bronze serpent to be cured, likewise anyone, eveyone bitten by sin can go to the cross of Christ to be cured, the cure is not just for some but for all who will obey...."Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Back
Top Bottom