Soli Deo Gloria and Calvinism's Zero-Sum Mentality

synergy

The source of God's Glory is obviously God. We can all agree to that. What differentiates us from Calvinists is that Calvinists circumscribe/restrict the emanation/propagation of God's Glory to only God which flies in the face of Scripture. This aberration is called the Zero-Sum mentality and Calvinists suffer from that condition.

The Calvinistic Zero-Sum mentality dictates that any role we play must necessarily subtract from God's Glory. Anything that supposedly detracted from God's glory or supposedly obscured it is to be vigorously opposed. This mentality flies in the face of the following Biblical facts:

First of all, the Bible declares the world is full of His Glory (Isaiah 6:3). These are praises from Angels directly in front of the throne of God. This shows that even matter can be filled with God's Glory as was the Burning Bush (Ex 3:4). Another example of God's Glory being infused with matter (Christ's clothing) is during the Transfiguration. (Matt 17:2). CS Lewis once wrote concerning God: “All is holy and ‘big with God’ ... and every bush (could we but perceive it) a Burning Bush. In the end, we can come to see the whole creation as a vast burning bush, alight with God’s glory."

Second of all, the Calvinist Zero-Sum mentality is a stance that goes against the very core of our being. We are Icons/Images of God and as such it is always the good pleasure of God to allow us in the future to "shine out like the sun in the kingdom of their Father." (Matt 13:43).

The Calvinist Zero-Sum mentality also infects Biblical salvation. Here several verses that show how we ourselves have a part in our and in other's salvation, clearly undermining once again any Calvinistic Zero-Sum mentality that can possibly be harbored:

James 5:20: "know that he who turns back the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins."

1 Tim 4:16: "Hold on to yourself and to the doctrine; continue in them, for doing this you shall both save yourself and those who hear you."

1 Cor 9:22: "To the weak I became as the weak, so that I might gain the weak. I am made all things to all men, so that I might by all means save some."

Come to think of it, this Zero-Sum aberration might also have a part to play in the formation of Calvinism's Limited Atonement theory. This needs some investigation....

Understanding the Terms:
Soli Deo Gloria: This Latin phrase means "Glory to God alone." It is one of the five solae that emerged during the Protestant Reformation. It emphasizes that all glory is due to God alone, for salvation is accomplished solely through His will and action.
Calvinism: A theological system based on the teachings of John Calvin, which emphasizes the sovereignty of God in all aspects of salvation, including the doctrines of predestination and election.
Zero-Sum Mentality: A belief that a situation is a zero-sum game, where one person's gain is another person's loss. In the context of theology, it could imply that if glory is given to God, there is none left for humans.
Formulating a Response:
Clarify the Misunderstanding:

"It seems there might be a misunderstanding about what 'Soli Deo Gloria' and Calvinism truly signify. Soli Deo Gloria means giving all glory to God for our salvation and all things. It doesn’t imply a zero-sum game but rather acknowledges that everything good we have, including our salvation, comes from God."
Emphasize the Positive Aspect:

"The idea of Soli Deo Gloria is meant to inspire humility and gratitude in believers. It encourages us to recognize our dependence on God and to live in a way that honors Him. This is not about diminishing human value but about recognizing the source of our strength and blessings."
Address the Zero-Sum Mentality:

"The notion of a zero-sum mentality in this context might be a misunderstanding. In Christian theology, particularly in Calvinism, giving glory to God doesn't take away from human dignity or worth. Rather, it enhances our understanding of our relationship with God. God's glory and human dignity are not in competition; instead, our true value is found in being in relationship with Him."
Provide Scriptural Support:

"Scripture supports the idea that God’s glory and our well-being are intertwined. For instance, in 1 Corinthians 10:31, Paul writes, 'So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.' This shows that everyday actions, when done for God's glory, also contribute to our own growth and fulfillment."
Address Calvinism Specifically:

"Calvinism, while emphasizing God's sovereignty, also teaches that God's grace is what enables us to live righteous and meaningful lives. Ephesians 2:8-9 says, 'For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.' This grace is what allows us to give God glory, recognizing that our salvation is His work, not ours."

Concluding Thought:
"In summary, Soli Deo Gloria and Calvinism's teachings on God’s sovereignty are not about reducing human worth but about rightly attributing our blessings and salvation to God's grace. This perspective invites us into a deeper, more humble relationship with God, acknowledging Him as the source of all good."
This approach should help address the remark in a respectful and informative way, providing a clear understanding of the concepts involved and correcting any misconceptions.

Zero respect.

Understanding the Terms:
Soli Deo Gloria: This Latin phrase means "Glory to God alone." It is one of the five solae that emerged during the Protestant Reformation. It emphasizes that all glory is due to God alone, for salvation is accomplished solely through His will and action.
Calvinism: A theological system based on the teachings of John Calvin, which emphasizes the sovereignty of God in all aspects of salvation, including the doctrines of predestination and election.
Zero-Sum Mentality: A belief that a situation is a zero-sum game, where one person's gain is another person's loss. In the context of theology, it could imply that if glory is given to God, there is none left for humans.
Formulating a Response:
Clarify the Misunderstanding:

"It seems there might be a misunderstanding about what 'Soli Deo Gloria' and Calvinism truly signify. Soli Deo Gloria means giving all glory to God for our salvation and all things. It doesn’t imply a zero-sum game but rather acknowledges that everything good we have, including our salvation, comes from God."
Emphasize the Positive Aspect:

"The idea of Soli Deo Gloria is meant to inspire humility and gratitude in believers. It encourages us to recognize our dependence on God and to live in a way that honors Him. This is not about diminishing human value but about recognizing the source of our strength and blessings."
Address the Zero-Sum Mentality:

"The notion of a zero-sum mentality in this context might be a misunderstanding. In Christian theology, particularly in Calvinism, giving glory to God doesn't take away from human dignity or worth. Rather, it enhances our understanding of our relationship with God. God's glory and human dignity are not in competition; instead, our true value is found in being in relationship with Him."
Provide Scriptural Support:

"Scripture supports the idea that God’s glory and our well-being are intertwined. For instance, in 1 Corinthians 10:31, Paul writes, 'So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.' This shows that everyday actions, when done for God's glory, also contribute to our own growth and fulfillment."
Address Calvinism Specifically:

"Calvinism, while emphasizing God's sovereignty, also teaches that God's grace is what enables us to live righteous and meaningful lives. Ephesians 2:8-9 says, 'For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.' This grace is what allows us to give God glory, recognizing that our salvation is His work, not ours."

Concluding Thought:
"In summary, Soli Deo Gloria and Calvinism's teachings on God’s sovereignty are not about reducing human worth but about rightly attributing our blessings and salvation to God's grace. This perspective invites us into a deeper, more humble relationship with God, acknowledging Him as the source of all good."
This approach should help address the remark in a respectful and informative way, providing a clear understanding of the concepts involved and correcting any misconceptions.

Zero respect.
You mentioned nothing about the verses I quoted. Instead, you went off on your own tangent that never once referred to any of my Biblical quotes. This is typical "zero respect" of Biblical verses for the purposes of protecting one's zero sum mentality presuppositions from exposure to Biblical truth.

You mentioned nothing about the verses I quoted. Instead, you went off on your own tangent that never once referred to any of my Biblical quotes. This is typical "zero respect" of Biblical verses for the purposes of protecting one's zero sum mentality presuppositions from exposure to Biblical truth.
Yes from the OP

The Calvinist Zero-Sum mentality also infects Biblical salvation. Here several verses that show how we ourselves have a part in our and in other's salvation, clearly undermining once again any Calvinistic Zero-Sum mentality that can possibly be harbored:

James 5:20: "know that he who turns back the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soulfrom death, and shall hide a multitude of sins."

1 Tim 4:16: "Hold on to yourself and to the doctrine; continue in them, for doing this you shall both save yourself and those who hear you."

1 Cor 9:22: "To the weak I became as the weak, so that I might gain the weak. I am made all things to all men, so that I might by all means save some."

Come to think of it, this Zero-Sum aberration might also have a part to play in the formation of Calvinism's Limited Atonement theory. This needs some investigation....

These last couple of months I'm getting firmly acquainted from exposure to biblical truths-not in the head, but in the Lev. Where it matters.

These last couple of months I'm getting firmly acquainted from exposure to biblical truths-not in the head, but in the Lev. Where it matters.
I'm not sure what "Lev" means but anyways please do show us how you're "acquainted" with the Bible verses I quoted.

I'm not sure what "Lev" means but anyways please do show us how you're "acquainted" with the Bible verses I quoted.
Why should I? You are the scholar here. Remember-לֵב-not the חכמת האדם" (chokhmat ha'adam)

Last edited:
The focus here is the Bible. Do you understand? Calvinists always try to pin the focus on the individuals when they have no defense.
I am all for Scriptures BUT--

"It seems that Calvinists often emphasize individual responsibility and God's sovereignty in salvation, particularly when engaging in theological discussions. However, some may interpret this emphasis as a way to avoid defending their beliefs. It's crucial to approach these discussions with respect and a willingness to understand each other's perspectives, as fruitful dialogue arises from mutual respect and openness to learning."

Correct?

I am all for Scriptures BUT--

"It seems that Calvinists often emphasize individual responsibility and God's sovereignty in salvation, particularly when engaging in theological discussions. However, some may interpret this emphasis as a way to avoid defending their beliefs. It's crucial to approach these discussions with respect and a willingness to understand each other's perspectives, as fruitful dialogue arises from mutual respect and openness to learning."
Please name your sources, who you quoted. Do not be disrespectful to them. Practice what you preach.
The Bible is what we all mutually respect, right? If you concur then please start addressing the verses I quoted. Anything less is just pure divergence.

Please name your sources, who you quoted. Do not be disrespectful to them. Practice what you preach.

The Bible is what we all mutually respect, right? If you concur then please start addressing the verses I quoted. Anything less is just pure divergence.

It is nothing more than a debate tactic. They want to appear as if they are morally superior.

Back
Top Bottom