Miracles, Signs and Wonders

civic

Moses declared the Law, Elijah and Elisha the Prophets. Daniel with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the furnace and also Jonah and Joshua in Jericho. Then we see nothing till Jesus 3year period of ministry with the New Covenant.

The purpose of signs, wonders, and miracles was to authenticate the messenger and the message was from God. This was necessary because God's written revelation was yet incomplete. Christ performed many miracles and signs which the Apostle John describes with these words: Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name (John 20:30-31).

Notice, the miracles of Jesus gave authenticated His message and claims to His Deity. Miracles, signs and wonders ceased with the Apostles and so did the individual gift of miracles. 2 Corinthians 12:12- The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with all perseverance, by signs and wonders and miracles.

Matthew 16:4- An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and there will be no sign given to it, except the sign of the prophet Jonah." He left them, and departed.

Matthew 24:24- For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

2 Thessalonians 2:9- The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie

Last edited:
Moses declared the Law, Elijah and Elisha the Prophets. Daniel with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the furnace and also Jonah and Joshua in Jericho. Then we see nothing till Jesus 3year period of ministry with the New Covenant.

The purpose of signs, wonders, and miracles was to authenticate the messenger and the message was from God. This was necessary because God's written revelation was yet incomplete. Christ performed many miracles and signs which the Apostle John describes with these words: Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name (John 20:30-31).

Notice, the miracles of Jesus gave authenticated His message and claims to His Deity. Miracles, signs and wonders ceased with the Apostles and so did the individual gift of miracles. 2 Corinthians 12:12- The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with all perseverance, by signs and wonders and miracles.

Matthew 16:4- An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and there will be no sign given to it, except the sign of the prophet Jonah." He left them, and departed.

Matthew 24:24- For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

2 Thessalonians 2:9- The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie

Yes, one of the main protests against saying the sign gifts has passed is looking at scriptures that are directly telling believers to pursue them. The main examples being thru 1 co 12 to 14.

One of the things though is the principle of who is being addressed. So the admonishing to pursue the gifts is to the people of the church at Corinth for that time.

So.. to say we today can do what they did then ... you would have to say there is nothing from that point to today that happened that would lead to the sign gifts ceasing.

The same thing applies to any NT scripture where if there is nothing indicating a temporary work going on..then we can pursue it.

So regards to the sign gifts .. we have :

Death of the apostles, who carried the gifts ..and close associates of them such as Stephen.

The destruction of the Jewish temple.

The inspiration of the Word of God finished in the canon.

So if we are to say the sign gifts are for now, we also have to say these events had no affect on their operation.

The common response to this ..is looking at other parts of the NT for pursuing service to God in churches and saying have they ceased to?

But there is nothing in the future of say, for example, pursuing love, faith and hope that shows them ceasing. There are numerous other pursuits for believers also in the NT that have nothing affecting their practice.

This is the principle of applying scripture to who it is being addressed to.

Hello,
Visions and dreams have not stopped, but signs and wonders have. For instance, no one is raising people from the dead, like dead 3 days dead. The Holy Spirit still talks to believers. I have had dreams and visions of what is coming in the future. Most things would not interest people other than me, but I've had rapture dreams and visions of the future. I might reveal some later.

Hello,
Visions and dreams have not stopped, but signs and wonders have. For instance, no one is raising people from the dead, like dead 3 days dead. The Holy Spirit still talks to believers. I have had dreams and visions of what is coming in the future. Most things would not interest people other than me, but I've had rapture dreams and visions of the future. I might reveal some later.
Thanks I would be interested in hearing about them sometime when you feel comfortable about sharing. And I agree with you about the miracles, signs and wonders.

Hello,
Lazarus , Jesus types of dead . 3-4 days :)

Back
Top Bottom