Humility And Calvinism?

Glory is listed as the 15th attribute of God.

Take a look here brother. https://www.biblestudytools.com/bib...mean-and-why-they-matter.html#google_vignette

15. God Is Glorious – He is Infinitely Beautiful and Great​

30088-bible-study-tools-logo_source_file.jpg

“His radiance is like the sunlight; He has rays flashing from His hand, And there is the hiding of His power.” - Habakkuk 3:4
John Piper defines God’s glory like this: “The glory of God is the infinite beauty and greatness of God’s manifold perfections. The infinite beauty—and I am focusing on the manifestation of his character and his worth and his attributes — all of his perfections and greatness are beautiful as they are seen, and there are many of them. That is why I use the word manifold.”
Ligonier.org writes this about the glory of God: “When we think of the glory of the Lord, the image of brilliant light often comes to our minds. That is certainly appropriate, as Scripture often describes the glory of God in terms of a light that shines brighter than anything that we experience on earth.”
The glory of God is of course, inseparable from his other attributes, so God is eternally, infinitely, unchangingly glorious. His radiance and beauty emanate from all that his is and all that he does. Isaiah 43:7 says that man was created by God for his glory. So our whole existence and purpose is to glorify him, as we are created in his image and do the good work he has prepared for us to do. Inevitably, man will try to find glory in other things, or to try and make himself an object of glory. And when those things fail to bring us satisfaction, we must decide to humble ourselves and turn our gaze back to the only one who is worthy of glory.

Glory isn't all about appearance.

The appearance of Glory is meaningless without character. The Pharisee "appeared" righteous.... but inside they were full of dead men's bones.

The praise of our lips is Glory to His name.

Getting to know God.....

I started to the thread concerning the endless requirement of to eventually talk about what I about to say....

As much as Adam knew God, He did not understand nor know God to the level of requirements to make his choices meaningful of acceptance required by God.

Remember when Jesus asked Peter if he would leave Him too?

It is the willing servant found in the law. If a Jew became a servant/slave. He must serve his master for 7 years then he must be set free. However, if that same servant had feel in love with his Master they would put a ring in his ear and he would serve His master.... forever.

It one thing to say anything. It is a different thing to really mean it.

It is also another thing to know all there is to know about someone and still love them with all your heart. This can not take place without experience. It is a process of discovery. A process of pricing yourself to another so that you can love one another in absolute agreement. His ways become our ways.

The willing servant. That becomes a friend. that becomes a perfect son.

Glory is listed as the 15th attribute of God.

Take a look here brother. https://www.biblestudytools.com/bib...mean-and-why-they-matter.html#google_vignette

15. God Is Glorious – He is Infinitely Beautiful and Great​

30088-bible-study-tools-logo_source_file.jpg

“His radiance is like the sunlight; He has rays flashing from His hand, And there is the hiding of His power.” - Habakkuk 3:4
John Piper defines God’s glory like this: “The glory of God is the infinite beauty and greatness of God’s manifold perfections. The infinite beauty—and I am focusing on the manifestation of his character and his worth and his attributes — all of his perfections and greatness are beautiful as they are seen, and there are many of them. That is why I use the word manifold.”
Ligonier.org writes this about the glory of God: “When we think of the glory of the Lord, the image of brilliant light often comes to our minds. That is certainly appropriate, as Scripture often describes the glory of God in terms of a light that shines brighter than anything that we experience on earth.”
The glory of God is of course, inseparable from his other attributes, so God is eternally, infinitely, unchangingly glorious. His radiance and beauty emanate from all that his is and all that he does. Isaiah 43:7 says that man was created by God for his glory. So our whole existence and purpose is to glorify him, as we are created in his image and do the good work he has prepared for us to do. Inevitably, man will try to find glory in other things, or to try and make himself an object of glory. And when those things fail to bring us satisfaction, we must decide to humble ourselves and turn our gaze back to the only one who is worthy of glory.
Glory is the result of his total being. He is glorious because he is holy, Omni, sovereign, etc. His total character effects him being glorious above all others. There is no one greater, more glorious, because he is who he is. Glory is the expression of the whole of his being, the cumulative effect of his existence.

In other words glory is dependent on the state of existence of the attributes of God.

Doug

Glory is the result of his total being. He is glorious because he is holy, Omni, sovereign, etc. His total character effects him being glorious above all others. There is no one greater, more glorious, because he is who he is. Glory is the expression of the whole of his being, the cumulative effect of his existence.

Doug
Yes His glory is unique and He says its His alone several times in the prophets. He declared He will not share it with anyone. To me it’s synonymous with Majesty.

Last edited:
Yes His glory is unique and He says its His alone several times in the prophets. He declared He will not share it with anyone. To me it’s synonymous with Majesty.
I agree completely! It is his alone because no one else is like him. (Thus Jesus is God because he shared his Father’s glory in the beginning.)

But Majesty is only majesty if there is something with which to compare, if there is a lesser class to be ruled. It is not an independent component.

Doug

Not technically! Everything that God does for mankind is, in some sense, gracious, because we do not deserve it and God didn’t have to do it.

Prevenient Grace is an expression of God’s going before and preparing the way for mankind to be able to be saved. Specifically, in response to the Reformed/Augustinian view of Total Depravity, PG seeks to overcome the supposed inability of man to hear and respond to the gospel.

Any act of God to mitigate the effects of sin on man prior to conversion is an act of grace that goes before.

Doug
Let's dig into the reason for PG which is Total Depravity according to you. Do you ascribe to Total Depravity in the sense that not-yet-regenerated people can do no good in the sight of God?

Let's dig into the reason for PG which is Total Depravity according to you.
It is not just for TD! Prevenient Grace, is any act of grace that prepares the way for us to respond to the gospel.

Do you ascribe to Total Depravity in the sense that not-yet-regenerated people can do no good in the sight of God?
TD means that a) Sin has corrupted the entirety of man’s being; mind, soul, and spirit, and b) that no action is capable of merit toward God.

It does not mean that we are completely incapable of being “good” in some sense or that everything we do is inherently evil in its intent.

It means that we are incapable of the perfection of God’s standards, and that any of God’s positive responses toward us and completely unmerited and without obligation.

Doug

It is not just for TD! Prevenient Grace, is any act of grace that prepares the way for us to respond to the gospel.

TD means that a) Sin has corrupted the entirety of man’s being; mind, soul, and spirit, and b) that no action is capable of merit toward God.

It does not mean that we are completely incapable of being “good” in some sense or that everything we do is inherently evil in its intent.

It means that we are incapable of the perfection of God’s standards, and that any of God’s positive responses toward us and completely unmerited and without obligation.

Doug
Does the common man have enough 'good" in him to where he can hear the Gospel and start to believe in Christ?

Does the common man have enough 'good" in him to where he can hear the Gospel and start to believe in Christ?
I’m not sure if “good enough “ has anything to do with “hearing the gospel”. I don’t believe that the power of sin over us can prevent the work of the Spirit from making clear the reality of our guilt before God, nor can it necessitate that we should reject that reality.

There is never a total incapacity to believe in the truth presented. Belief, in itself, is not something given by God; but the opportunity to exercise our belief is totally an act of grace from and by God.

Doug

I’m not sure if “good enough “ has anything to do with “hearing the gospel”. I don’t believe that the power of sin over us can prevent the work of the Spirit from making clear the reality of our guilt before God, nor can it necessitate that we should reject that reality.

There is never a total incapacity to believe in the truth presented. Belief, in itself, is not something given by God; but the opportunity to exercise our belief is totally an act of grace from and by God.

Doug
The "opportunity to exercise our belief" is very much dependent on others sharing the Gospel. Is that what you mean by it being "totally an act of grace from and by God"?

The "opportunity to exercise our belief" is very much dependent on others sharing the Gospel. Is that what you mean by it being "totally an act of grace from and by God"?
Yes, but there is nothing in which to believe without God extending the gospel to us. You have to have something to share before you can share it and someone else can believe in it.

Nothing happens without God moving first.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom