Humility And Calvinism?

how would you get around the genesis 1 account that everything God created was good ?

Also, brother.

Notice the contrast in the first Adam being made "only" a living soul. The new birth/second birth was always purposed before Adam was orginally ever created.

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

I quoted you earlier but I wrote my response to everyone.

Eve was taken from Adam was never a descendent of Adam. "After the fall" doesn't mean anything relative to your argument.

No surprise. You're missing the bond shared through Husband and Wife in this.
There were both sinless and holy in their initial state of creation. They were peccable, however, having a free and independent will and volition, part of the image of God in which they were created.

They were created perfectly with respect to God’s intended design. That is, they were no less than God intended, and no more than he intended.

They chose (Adam willingly and Eve by deception) to listen to other voices instead of the voice and instructions of God. Thus, they both fell from their state of innocence both spiritually and experientially. They were changed, different, after the fall from their original state of being.

Doug

There were both sinless and holy in their initial state of creation. They were peccable, however, having a free and independent will and volition, part of the image of God in which they were created.

They were not made in the Glory of God. You can not excluded the Glory of God from the "image of God". I could say many things about this but I'll say this...

God rested on the 7th day but God didn't stop creating after the 7th. He is still working. Still creating. The new birth is pictured in the circumcision. Which takes place on the "8th day". A new week. A new birth. A change

God wasn't done with Adam nor Eve.

They were created perfectly with respect to God’s intended design. That is, they were no less than God intended, and no more than he intended.

We agree. However, you're implying in your teachings that they were spiritually alive. They were not what we shall be in the Resurrection of the Dead in Christ.

They chose (Adam willingly and Eve by deception) to listen to other voices instead of the voice and instructions of God. Thus, they both fell from their state of innocence both spiritually and experientially. They were changed, different, after the fall from their original state of being.

Doug

There much more here than the traditional teachings of Arminianism.....

Adam feared God. He was stuck in-between two impossible choices. Love his wife enough to be included in her judgement or pretend he didn't love Eve as much as He loved God.....

I would to God you could see this.....

All of mankind, starting with Adam and Eve, needed to learn what it is to be without God. To learn what it is to rely upon another. To trust another Greater than themselves. They needed to learn what it was to be their own "god". To know what responsibility means. To know the impossible choices that God Himself deals with when those He loves don't believe Him. There is an emotion connection here that lives within every single human being that has ever lived. The result of the breath of God imparted to our flesh mixed and limited in the nature of a servant. The growth of a friend. A honor of a son.

God has been working on humanity throughout all generations in their personal lives.

We must understand the challenge of dealing with a creation that can do as they please themselves. We experience this in our own offspring. The son and daughters that must "find" their own ways through to adulthood. Maturity.

God seeks to win us to Himself as we seek to win our own to ourselves when they come to a point of exercising their own freedom.......

You want to say that all of this is a result of sin in Adam and it is not. God has been working all things together for our (mankind's) good.

It is the only way that a truly free will can agree with God of their own volition. This so much more than empty compliance....

Last edited:
Is the creation event an example of PG?
Not technically! Everything that God does for mankind is, in some sense, gracious, because we do not deserve it and God didn’t have to do it.

Prevenient Grace is an expression of God’s going before and preparing the way for mankind to be able to be saved. Specifically, in response to the Reformed/Augustinian view of Total Depravity, PG seeks to overcome the supposed inability of man to hear and respond to the gospel.

Any act of God to mitigate the effects of sin on man prior to conversion is an act of grace that goes before.

Doug

Not technically! Everything that God does for mankind is, in some sense, gracious, because we do not deserve it and God didn’t have to do it.

Prevenient Grace is an expression of God’s going before and preparing the way for mankind to be able to be saved. Specifically, in response to the Reformed/Augustinian view of Total Depravity, PG seeks to overcome the supposed inability of man to hear and respond to the gospel.

Any act of God to mitigate the effects of sin on man prior to conversion is an act of grace that goes before.

Doug
Your first sentence gives you the answer.

PG is nothing more than a man made "weighted" secondary "grace" wherein only some benefit.

Grace is grace and all man experience Grace. The intent of grace at every level is to express the equal benevolence of God toward all men.

Even the reprobate have done spite to the "Spirit of Grace".

Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

They were not made in the Glory of God. You can not excluded the Glory of God from the "image of God". I could say many things about this but I'll say this...

God rested on the 7th day but God didn't stop creating after the 7th. He is still working. Still creating. The new birth is pictured in the circumcision. Which takes place on the "8th day". A new week. A new birth. A change

God wasn't done with Adam nor Eve.

Very good. And another thing to consider what this event teaches the Faithful, in my view. satan was after Adam, the head, not the woman, the weaker vessel. The serpent went after her, to get at Adam. For me, this is significant as the "church" is representative of the bride, with Christ as the Head. Jeshua was born into a garden also, in which another voice "Who Professed to know God" also existed. For somewhere around 30 years, the "deceived woman", tried to influence the 2nd Adam, just as it did the first Adam. Only after the woman failed to turn Yeshua away from the "Way of the Lord" did satan directly attack Him, and failed. This is when the Ministry of Jeshua began. Truly an incorruptible Priest of God.

I think this is why the Holy Scriptures warn over and over and over about this world's religions "Who call Yeshua their Head/Lord". They have traditionally been satans first victim in its mission to destroy the righteous, and through religions it has deceived the whole world.

Very thoughtful and insightful post.

There much more here than the traditional teachings of Arminianism.....
Wesleyanism is not traditional Arminianism.

Adam feared God. He was stuck in-between two impossible choices. Love his wife enough to be included in her judgement or pretend he didn't love Eve as much as He loved God.....

I would to God you could see this.....
This is the choice that we all have to make: to love the Lord our God with all; that is, more than anyone or anything else, including your wife.

There is coming a time when we will have to choose Christ over all else, including family, friends and associations, even life itself.

I would argue, that to obey God and honor him is the way to love your wife, and your wife’s love for God is the best way to honor you!

If Adam had said no to the ‘Apple’, would it have not been in Eve’s best interest?

If you are saying that Adam sinned so that Eve wouldn’t be alone, that would not necessarily be love, it could be selfishness, because he could just have not wanted to be alone himself. In either case, it shows a lack of trust in God, an attempt to take matters into his own hands.

This said, it is really a moot point because scripture says nothing about why Adam did what he did.
All of mankind, starting with Adam and Eve, needed to learn what it is to be without God. To learn what it is to rely upon another. To trust another Greater than themselves. They needed to learn what it was to be their own "god". To know what responsibility means. To know the impossible choices that God Himself deals with when those He loves don't believe Him. There is an emotion connection here that lives within every single human being that has ever lived. The result of the breath of God imparted to our flesh mixed and limited in the nature of a servant. The growth of a friend. A honor of a son.
Hogwash! This is pure humanism! There is no scriptural justification for such an absurd idea!

We do not have to “understand the challenge of dealing with a creation that can do as they please themselves.”

We do not have “to learn what it was to be their own "god". To know what responsibility means. To know the impossible choices that God Himself deals with when those He loves don't believe Him.”

This is one of the most absurd things I’ve ever heard, read, or seen in all my years. This is hardly what I would call Christian theology. This is not Biblical theology! This is pure imagination, speculation and fabrication!

Doug

PG is nothing more than a man made "weighted" secondary "grace" wherein only some benefit.
You do not have the slightest idea about PG.

All benefit equally from prevenient grace, for all are able to freely respond to the gospel. Prevenient Grace is anything that God does to draw us to himself up to the point of salvation. The grace that preserved scripture for us is prevenient; the grace that moved people into our path to share the gospel, or sends a missionary to a foreign land is grace going before.

To suggest that God is not doing things to bring about our salvation or at least the opportunity to be saved is ludicrous. The fact that Christ is slain from the foundation of the world is a prevenient act of grace!

Doug

They were not made in the Glory of God. You can not excluded the Glory of God from the "image of God".
The glory of God is not an attribute of God’s nature. Here are three lists, and there are many more that are similar.

INCOMMUNICABLE ATTRIBUTES

Infinite: God has no limits or bounds whatsoever in His person or dominion (1
Kings 8:27; Ps. 145:3).

Incomprehensible: Because God is God, He is beyond the understanding of
humans. His ways, character, and acts are higher than ours. We only understand
as God chooses to reveal Himself, His ways, or His purposes (Job 11:7; Rom.
11:33).

Self-existent: God depends on nothing for His existence beyond Himself. The
whole basis of His existence is within Himself. At one time nothing but God
Himself existed. He added nothing to Himself by creation (Exod. 3:14; John
5:26).

Self-sufficient: Within Himself, God is able to act, that is, to bring about His will
without any assistance. Although He may choose to use assistance, it is His
good pleasure, not His need that governs that choice (Ps. 50:7-12; Acts
17:24-25).

Eternal: God has no beginning, and He has no end. He is not confined to the
finiteness of time or to man’s reckoning of time (Deut 32:40; Isa. 57:15).

Immutable: God is always the same in His nature, His character, and His will.
He never changes, and He can never be made to change (Ps. 102:25-27; Mal.
3:6; Heb 13:8).

Omniscient: God knows all. He has perfect knowledge of everything that is
past, present, and future (Job 37:16; Ps. 139:1-6).

Omnipotent: God possesses all power. He is able to bring about anything He
has decided to do—with or without the use of any source beyond Himself (Gen.
18:14; Job 42:2; Jer. 32:27).

Omnipresent: God is present everywhere, in all the universe, at all times, in the
totality of His character (Prov. 15:3; Jer. 23:23-24).

Sovereign: God is totally, supremely, and preeminently over all His creation.
There is not a person or thing that has escaped His control and foreknown plan
(Dan. 4:35; Isa. 14:24, 27; Dan. 2:20-23).

Transcendent: God is above His creation, and He would exist if there were no
creation. His existence is totally apart from His creatures or creation (Isa. 43:10;
Isa. 55:8-9).

COMMUNICABLE ATTRIBUTES
Holy: God is a morally excellent, perfect being. He is totally other than man. He
is purity of being in every aspect (Lev. 19:2; Job 34:10; Isa 47:4).

Loving: God’s love moves Him to give Himself for another, even to lay down His
own life. His love causes Him to desire His creatures’ highest good. This love is
not based on the worth, response, or merit of the object being loved (Jer. 31:3;
Rom. 5:8; 1 John 4:8).

Just: God is fair in all of His actions. Whether He deals with man, angels, or
demons, He acts in totally equity by rewarding righteousness and punishing sin.
Since He knows all, every decree is absolutely just (Num. 14:8, 23:19; Ps.
89:14).

Good: In His goodness God gives to others, not according to what they deserve
but according to His good will and kindness toward them (2 Chron. 5:13; Ps.
106:1).

Merciful: God is an actively compassionate being. He responds
compassionately toward those who have opposed His will in their pursuit of their
own way (Ps. 62:12; 89:14; 106:44-45; 116:5; Rom. 9:14-15).

Gracious: God demonstrates unmerited favor toward His creation. His common
grace is shown toward everything He has made, and His special grace is shown
toward those who receive salvation through Christ (Ps. 116:5-9; Eph. 1:3-10; 2
Cor. 9:8; Titus 2:11-14).

Long-suffering: God’s righteous anger is slow to be kindled against those who
fail to listen to His warnings or to obey His instructions. His eternal longing for
highest good for his creatures holds back His holy justice (Num. 14:18; 2 Pet.
3:9).

Wise: God’s actions are based on His character. His wisdom causes Him to
choose righteous ends and to make the most fitting plans to achieve those ends
(Isa. 40:28; Dan. 2:20).

Jealous: God is unwilling to share what is rightfully and morally His with any
other creature (Exod. 20:5; 34:14).

Wrathful: There is within God a hatred for all that is unrighteous and an
unquenchable desire to punish all unrighteousness. Whatever is inconsistent
with His holy standard must ultimately be consumed (Exod. 34:6-7; 1 Chron.
19:2; Rom. 1:18).

Faithful: God is always true to His promises. He can never draw back from His
promises of blessing or judgment. Since He cannot lie, He is totally steadfast to
what He has spoken (Deut. 7:9; 2 Tim 2:13).

Righteous: God is always good. It is essential to His character. He always does
the right thing. Ultimately, since He is God, whatever He does is right. He is the
absolute. His actions are always consistent with His character, which is love
(Deut. 32:4; Ps. 119:142).

Truthful: All that God says is reality. Whether believed by man or not, whether
seen as reality or not, what God has spoken is reality. Whatever He speaks is
truth (Num. 23:19; Ps. 31:5; Titus

From Bill Bright

1. God Is a Personal Spirit
2. God Is All-Powerful
3. God Is Present Everywhere
4. God Knows Everything
5. God Is Sovereign
6. God Is Holy
7. God Is Absolute Truth
8. God Is Righteous
9. God Is Just
10. God Is Love
11. God Is Merciful
12. God Is Faithful
13. God Never Changes

From Moody Press

1. God’s Infinitude
2. God’s Immensity
3. God’s Goodness
4. God’s Justice
5. God’s Mercy
6. God’s Grace
7. God’s Omnipresence
8. God’s Immanence
9. God’s Holiness
10. God’s Perfection

Doug

Wesleyanism is not traditional Arminianism.

Quote me where I said it was. You're being dishonest.

This is the choice that we all have to make: to love the Lord our God with all; that is, more than anyone or anything else, including your wife.

There is coming a time when we will have to choose Christ over all else, including family, friends and associations, even life itself.

I would argue, that to obey God and honor him is the way to love your wife, and your wife’s love for God is the best way to honor you!

If Adam had said no to the ‘Apple’, would it have not been in Eve’s best interest?

"Eve's best interest"..... Geesh. Do you feel anything? Is your conscience seared?

Eve had already sinned. Eve was DECEIVED..........

DECIEVED..... If it were your daughter, you'd swallow your hypocrisy and give anything for her. Which is what God did. He gave HIMSELF.

As our Lord was dying upon the Cross.... He based His sacrifice upon these words.... "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.".....................................

Hogwash! This is pure humanism! There is no scriptural justification for such an absurd idea!

Definition of Humanism = an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters. Humanist beliefs stress the potential value and goodness of human beings, emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems.

False claims about me don't matter. God will speak one day. What you have to say about me means what?

The only solution for humanity is Jesus Christ. We can not know ourselves completely without Jesus Christ. Now take back your false claims. I'm not a humanist. I believe mankind has devolved over time and became worse than Adam and Eve in their initial condition. Sin is progressive. It becomes worse and worse and worse and worse throughout history. It affects our physical traits and the limits of our own bodies.

What I'm trying to get you to see is your own hypocrisy.

We do not have to “understand the challenge of dealing with a creation that can do as they please themselves.”

We do not have “to learn what it was to be their own "god". To know what responsibility means. To know the impossible choices that God Himself deals with when those He loves don't believe Him.”

This is one of the most absurd things I’ve ever heard, read, or seen in all my years. This is hardly what I would call Christian theology. This is not Biblical theology! This is pure imagination, speculation and fabrication!

Doug

Funny how you believe that God just "gifts" you with such knowledge just like the Calvinist. You shut up heaven against men with your exclusive gifting of revelation.

I'll be glad to debate you publicly on this topic among our peers. We can see who is "speculating"....

Have you read how believers in Christ are carnal children. Our new birth parallels our first birth. We must GROW.......

Everything God made was good.... but it wasn't completed. The very fact that Satan was allowed in the garden and how easily Satan deceived Eve should tell you how weak (yet innocent) humanity began.

You do not have the slightest idea about PG.

All benefit equally from prevenient grace, for all are able to freely respond to the gospel. Prevenient Grace is anything that God does to draw us to himself up to the point of salvation. The grace that preserved scripture for us is prevenient; the grace that moved people into our path to share the gospel, or sends a missionary to a foreign land is grace going before.

Yeah.... rebranded Calvinism. I've tried to tell you for a long time that this debate between Calvinism and Arminianism isn't nothing more than a false dichotomy.

All the words of God are not preserved. It is one of the reasons that the Spirit of God is so necessary in our lives. When others fail to continue what God has told them..... God speaks AGAIN..................

Do you hear His voice?

To suggest that God is not doing things to bring about our salvation or at least the opportunity to be saved is ludicrous. The fact that Christ is slain from the foundation of the world is a prevenient act of grace!

Doug

I'm not suggesting this at all. I'm saying all of our existence is the work of God. Not just the Gospel. Not just the few things you listed.

The fact that Christ was slain from the foundation of the world establishes that God's work in humanity wasn't complete in Adam and Eve. It is amazing sometimes how people repeat words without paying attention to what those statements mean.

Christ was first chosen as the means for Redemption before this world was ever formed. I have repeated told all you that Election is established in the image of Christ. You just didn't pay attention to what I was saying because you had your own image of Christ in your mind. An idol of imagination. This image was created for you by Augustine, Calvin, and others.

The glory of God is not an attribute of God’s nature. Here are three lists, and there are many more that are similar.

You're getting so caught up in wanting to defend your feeble points that you're making some rather silly claims.... You shouldn't say this at all. I'm serious brother. This is dangerous.

1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1Co 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
1Co 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
Our glory pales to the Glory of God. We receive Glory in our body forms through Christ.

We have borne the IMAGE of the earthly. We shall bear the image of the heavenly.

Col 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
Col 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
Col 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
Col 1:19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;
Col 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
Col 1:21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
Col 1:22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

The finished work of God in humanity will be on full display one day.

INCOMMUNICABLE ATTRIBUTES

Infinite: God has no limits or bounds whatsoever in His person or dominion (1
Kings 8:27; Ps. 145:3).

Incomprehensible: Because God is God, He is beyond the understanding of
humans. His ways, character, and acts are higher than ours. We only understand
as God chooses to reveal Himself, His ways, or His purposes (Job 11:7; Rom.
11:33).

Self-existent: God depends on nothing for His existence beyond Himself. The
whole basis of His existence is within Himself. At one time nothing but God
Himself existed. He added nothing to Himself by creation (Exod. 3:14; John
5:26).

Self-sufficient: Within Himself, God is able to act, that is, to bring about His will
without any assistance. Although He may choose to use assistance, it is His
good pleasure, not His need that governs that choice (Ps. 50:7-12; Acts
17:24-25).

Eternal: God has no beginning, and He has no end. He is not confined to the
finiteness of time or to man’s reckoning of time (Deut 32:40; Isa. 57:15).

Immutable: God is always the same in His nature, His character, and His will.
He never changes, and He can never be made to change (Ps. 102:25-27; Mal.
3:6; Heb 13:8).

Omniscient: God knows all. He has perfect knowledge of everything that is
past, present, and future (Job 37:16; Ps. 139:1-6).

Omnipotent: God possesses all power. He is able to bring about anything He
has decided to do—with or without the use of any source beyond Himself (Gen.
18:14; Job 42:2; Jer. 32:27).

Omnipresent: God is present everywhere, in all the universe, at all times, in the
totality of His character (Prov. 15:3; Jer. 23:23-24).

Sovereign: God is totally, supremely, and preeminently over all His creation.
There is not a person or thing that has escaped His control and foreknown plan
(Dan. 4:35; Isa. 14:24, 27; Dan. 2:20-23).

Transcendent: God is above His creation, and He would exist if there were no
creation. His existence is totally apart from His creatures or creation (Isa. 43:10;
Isa. 55:8-9).

COMMUNICABLE ATTRIBUTES
Holy: God is a morally excellent, perfect being. He is totally other than man. He
is purity of being in every aspect (Lev. 19:2; Job 34:10; Isa 47:4).

Loving: God’s love moves Him to give Himself for another, even to lay down His
own life. His love causes Him to desire His creatures’ highest good. This love is
not based on the worth, response, or merit of the object being loved (Jer. 31:3;
Rom. 5:8; 1 John 4:8).

Just: God is fair in all of His actions. Whether He deals with man, angels, or
demons, He acts in totally equity by rewarding righteousness and punishing sin.
Since He knows all, every decree is absolutely just (Num. 14:8, 23:19; Ps.
89:14).

Good: In His goodness God gives to others, not according to what they deserve
but according to His good will and kindness toward them (2 Chron. 5:13; Ps.
106:1).

Merciful: God is an actively compassionate being. He responds
compassionately toward those who have opposed His will in their pursuit of their
own way (Ps. 62:12; 89:14; 106:44-45; 116:5; Rom. 9:14-15).

Gracious: God demonstrates unmerited favor toward His creation. His common
grace is shown toward everything He has made, and His special grace is shown
toward those who receive salvation through Christ (Ps. 116:5-9; Eph. 1:3-10; 2
Cor. 9:8; Titus 2:11-14).

Long-suffering: God’s righteous anger is slow to be kindled against those who
fail to listen to His warnings or to obey His instructions. His eternal longing for
highest good for his creatures holds back His holy justice (Num. 14:18; 2 Pet.
3:9).

Wise: God’s actions are based on His character. His wisdom causes Him to
choose righteous ends and to make the most fitting plans to achieve those ends
(Isa. 40:28; Dan. 2:20).

Jealous: God is unwilling to share what is rightfully and morally His with any
other creature (Exod. 20:5; 34:14).

Wrathful: There is within God a hatred for all that is unrighteous and an
unquenchable desire to punish all unrighteousness. Whatever is inconsistent
with His holy standard must ultimately be consumed (Exod. 34:6-7; 1 Chron.
19:2; Rom. 1:18).

Faithful: God is always true to His promises. He can never draw back from His
promises of blessing or judgment. Since He cannot lie, He is totally steadfast to
what He has spoken (Deut. 7:9; 2 Tim 2:13).

Righteous: God is always good. It is essential to His character. He always does
the right thing. Ultimately, since He is God, whatever He does is right. He is the
absolute. His actions are always consistent with His character, which is love
(Deut. 32:4; Ps. 119:142).

Truthful: All that God says is reality. Whether believed by man or not, whether
seen as reality or not, what God has spoken is reality. Whatever He speaks is
truth (Num. 23:19; Ps. 31:5; Titus

From Bill Bright

1. God Is a Personal Spirit
2. God Is All-Powerful
3. God Is Present Everywhere
4. God Knows Everything
5. God Is Sovereign
6. God Is Holy
7. God Is Absolute Truth
8. God Is Righteous
9. God Is Just
10. God Is Love
11. God Is Merciful
12. God Is Faithful
13. God Never Changes

From Moody Press

1. God’s Infinitude
2. God’s Immensity
3. God’s Goodness
4. God’s Justice
5. God’s Mercy
6. God’s Grace
7. God’s Omnipresence
8. God’s Immanence
9. God’s Holiness
10. God’s Perfection

Doug
Glory is listed as the 15th attribute of God.

Take a look here brother. https://www.biblestudytools.com/bib...mean-and-why-they-matter.html#google_vignette

15. God Is Glorious – He is Infinitely Beautiful and Great​

30088-bible-study-tools-logo_source_file.jpg

“His radiance is like the sunlight; He has rays flashing from His hand, And there is the hiding of His power.” - Habakkuk 3:4
John Piper defines God’s glory like this: “The glory of God is the infinite beauty and greatness of God’s manifold perfections. The infinite beauty—and I am focusing on the manifestation of his character and his worth and his attributes — all of his perfections and greatness are beautiful as they are seen, and there are many of them. That is why I use the word manifold.”
Ligonier.org writes this about the glory of God: “When we think of the glory of the Lord, the image of brilliant light often comes to our minds. That is certainly appropriate, as Scripture often describes the glory of God in terms of a light that shines brighter than anything that we experience on earth.”
The glory of God is of course, inseparable from his other attributes, so God is eternally, infinitely, unchangingly glorious. His radiance and beauty emanate from all that his is and all that he does. Isaiah 43:7 says that man was created by God for his glory. So our whole existence and purpose is to glorify him, as we are created in his image and do the good work he has prepared for us to do. Inevitably, man will try to find glory in other things, or to try and make himself an object of glory. And when those things fail to bring us satisfaction, we must decide to humble ourselves and turn our gaze back to the only one who is worthy of glory.

Billy Graham lists glory as an attribute as well

Don Stewart from blue letter bible

WHAT IS THE GLORY OF GOD?​

The Attributes of God That Belong to Him Alone – Question 17

The Bible speaks of the glory of the God of Scripture. We read the following in the Book of Ezekiel about God’s glory.

“And in the morning you shall see the glory of the LORD; for He hears your complaints against the LORD. But what are we, that you complain against us?”...Now it came to pass, as Aaron spoke to the whole congregation of the children of Israel, that they looked toward the wilderness, and behold, the glory of the LORD appeared in the cloud. (Exodus 16:7, 10 NKJV)
What is the glory of God? How shall we understand it?

1. God’s Glory Is His Splendor and Majesty​

God’s glory is His splendor, His majesty. The Bible uses God’s glory figuratively as a manifestation of Himself. The glory of God is said to be above the heaven.

O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. (Psalm 8:1 NIV)
The Bible attributes many appearances and actions of God with His glory.

2. It Is Used Figuratively for God Himself​

The glory of God is used figuratively for God Himself. Moses wanted to see the glory, or the Person, of God. We read about this in the Book of Exodus.

Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.” And the LORD said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” Then the LORD said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by.” (Exodus 33:18-22 NIV)
The glory of God is another way of saying “God.” His glory is equal to Himself

3. Moses Saw God’s Glory​

When Moses climbed up on Mt. Sinai to receive the Ten Commandments from God, the visible glory of the Lord rested upon the mountain. We read about this in the Book of Exodus where it tells us the following.

When Moses went up on the mountain, the cloud covered it, and the glory of the LORD settled on Mount Sinai. For six days the cloud covered the mountain, and on the seventh day the LORD called to Moses from within the cloud. To the Israelites the glory of the LORD looked like a consuming fire on top of the mountain. (Exodus 24:15-17 NIV)
The visible glory was in the form of a cloud. This represented His presence in a unique way with the people.

4. The Glory Departed When the People Disobeyed​

When the people disobeyed God, the Bible says that His glory departed from them. We read about this episode in the Book of Samuel. As the wife of one of the evil sons of the high priest was dying in childbirth she gave the child an appropriate name.

Then she named the child Ichabod, saying, “The glory has departed from Israel!” because the ark of God had been captured and because of her father-in-law and her husband. (1 Samuel 4:21 NKJV)
This was one of the most tragic times in the entire history of the nation Israel. God’s glory had departed from the people because of their disobedience.

5. God’s Glory Is Seen in Each of the Members of the Trinity​

God’s glory is found in each of the three members of the Holy Trinity; God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. The evidence is as follows.

God the Father Raised Jesus through His Glory​

We are told that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of God the Father. Paul said the following to the Romans.

Therefore we have been buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. (Romans 6:4 NRSV)
Jesus was raised by the glory of God the Father.

The Glory of God the Son Was Seen​

Humanity beheld the glory of God the Son, Jesus. John wrote the following about this wonderful truth.

So the Word became human and lived here on earth among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the only Son of the Father. (John 1:14 NLT)
When the living God came to earth in the Person of Jesus Christ, the people saw the glory of God in God the Son.

The Apostle Paul said he saw the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. He wrote about this to the Corinthians.

For God, who said, “Light shall shine out of darkness,” is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:6 NASB)
The glory of God is found in the face of Christ.

Glory Is Attributed to the Holy Spirit​

The third member of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, also has glory attributed to Him. The Holy Spirit is called the “Spirit of Glory.”

If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. (1 Peter 4:14 NASB)
We again find the three members of the Trinity, united together, in their glory.

6. Jesus Glorified the Father in Heaven​

The life and ministry of Jesus Christ glorified, or honored, His Father in heaven. Jesus said,

“I don’t want honor for myself. But there is one who wants me to be honored, and he is also the one who judges.” (John 8:50 CEV)
On the night of His betrayal, Jesus prayed to God the Father and acknowledged that His actions brought glory Him.

“I brought glory to you here on earth by doing everything you told me to do.” (John 17:4 NLT)
The Son always glorified the Father.

7. The Father Glorified the Son​

God the Father, in turn, glorified God the Son. The Bible records Jesus saying that the Father glorified Him.

Jesus answered, “If I am merely boasting about myself, it doesn’t count. But it is my Father who says these glorious things about me. You say, ‘He is our God.’” (John 8:54 NLT)
The Father says glorious things about the Son.

At the tomb of the dead man Lazarus, God the Father openly glorified His own name. Jesus prayed to the Father to do this. We read,

“Father, glorify your name.” Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.” (John 12:28 NRSV)
The Father was glorified through the Son, as the Son was glorified through the Father. Therefore, the glory of God is seen throughout the members of the Trinity.

8. Believers Are to Reflect the Glory of God​

The glory of the Lord is to be reflected in the lives believers. Paul wrote to the Corinthians about how we are being transformed.

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. (2 Corinthians 3:18 NKJV)
We are to reflect His glory in our lives.

Paul told the Philippians to let their lives shine brightly before others.

...so that no one can speak a word of blame against you. You are to live clean, innocent lives as children of God in a dark world full of crooked and perverse people. Let your lives shine brightly before them. (Philippians 2:15 NLT)
Our lights should be constantly shining!

Jesus said that our godly behavior will glorify God the Father. We are to let our light shine so the Father may be glorified.

“In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16 NIV)
This should cause us to ask ourselves if we are indeed living as lights in order to glorify our heavenly Father. This is our calling.

Eventually, believers will be surrounded by God’s glory. We read about this in the Book of Revelation. John wrote,

And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God is its light, and its lamp is the Lamb. (Revelation 21:23 NRSV)
What a wonderful future the Lord has for us. We will be surrounded by the glory and light of God forever and ever.

Consequently, believers should seek to honor and glorify God by our behavior.

Summary – Question 17​

What Is the Glory of God?​

God’s glory is His splendor, His majesty. Sometimes God’s glory is used figuratively of Himself. The Bible says that Moses saw the glory of God on Mount Sinai. We are also told that when the people disobeyed the Lord, His glory departed from them. The ministry of Jesus Christ glorified God the Father. God the Father, in turn, glorified Jesus.

Believers are commanded to reflect the glory of God. Someday those who have believed will be surrounded by God’s glory. What a wonderful day that will be!

Back
Top Bottom