How can we discern truth in a world of deception

Jim began by referring to 2 Timothy 3 where Paul warns that in the last days perilous times shall come and he outlines a number of characteristics of those days. Then in verse 5 he notes, “Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.” You’ll also see that he warns that this kind of deception will get worse and worse.

One of the greatest spiritual deceptions of our day is shown by the people who claim to be Christian yet the doctrine and teachings they espouse are very far removed from the Bible.

For example, in 2 Corinthians 11:13-14 Paul said, “For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.” In other words, many people can be deceived and not even know it.

So how can we discern truth in a world of deception? Returning to Crosstalk to answer that question was Mike Gendron.

My friend, you have illustrated perfectly in this one sentence, how men of this world become deceived according to the Words of the Jesus "of the bible" Himself.

Matt. 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that "no man" deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I (Jesus) am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Consider that God has created a world in which you have the Oracles of God in your own home. AS a result, if a man studies His Word as instructed, he will find "God's Righteousness", a Righteousness that God created beforehand for His People to walk in. A "righteousness" that the Jesus of the Bible, and EVERY Example of Faith in the entire Bible walked in. And you will also find God's Wrath against all unrighteousness. Jesus said to "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and HIS Righteousness", and we will find what to eat, what to drink, and how to live.

As it is written in Jeremiah 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD:

Israel was also given the Oracles of God, so they too "Knew God". But what happen to them according to Scriptures?

Paul tells us in Romans 1: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Paul said God had these things written for "our" examples, and our admonition "upon whom the ends of the world are come". (1 Cor. 10)

He also said to Timothy to continue in the Holy Scriptures.

2 Tim. 3: 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, (Law and Prophets) which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

I realize it is popular religious tradition of this world God placed both you and I in, to seek out the philosophies of men who "come in God's Name". The religious sect of the Pharisees followed the religious opinions of Gamaliel. Later on Constantine and his preferred priests, which became the RCC, was the voice of men many sought after. There is Valentinus, John Huss, Calvin, Wesley, Russell, Smith, White. As Jesus said, there are "Many men" who come in His Name, all promoting a different doctrine, different philosophies.

But why does a man need all these "other voices" in the garden God placed us in? God has already given us His Oracles, the Prophets, His son, and the Apostles HIS Son chose for us to listen to. Why would we not trust God and simply follow His Instruction?

After all, Jesus did say "And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead"

I'm sure Mike means well. Just as I'm sure the Pope means well. And certainly both believe in the religious sect of this world they have adopted.

But in a world so full of deception, shouldn't a person place their trust the Inspired Word of God "for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness"?

I believe God is Faithful to those who seek "His Kingdom and His Righteousness" from HIS Oracles that HE made available to us all, in obedience to His Son.

And that has been the problem from the start.

As mark twain said " a lie can go all the way round the world before the truth gets its boots on"

I am an expert on the shroud, and I have almost all that was ever written on it.

The Dishonest like Garlaschelli write nonsense, and all believe it because they WANT to believe it is false , and such as Garlaschelli can make a good living out of nonsense. The atheist media laps it up. Look hard you can even find a paper that says "da vinci did it" despite the fact he was yet to be born! But the atheist media rarely if ever publishes the rebuttal of such nonsense.

So if you are curious Garlaschelli used a dye process, yet even in 1978 it is known that there is no dye. It is a very think layer oxidation dehydration of cellulose. So no dye process could be responsible either because it would soak into the threads.
Garlaschelli made no attempt to match the chemistry of the shroud mark (the difficult bit) . So whatever his fraudulent "copy" looks like, it is not a copy of the shroud.

It is Just like the fraudulent RC dating also gained traction - it took 20 years to dismantle the fraud. Yes fraud!
As later papers note, the data in the nature paper had been manipulated "by unknown transform" to give homogeneity, without which the test was null and void in scientific terms..
But that is hardly surprising, the validation tests that Tite did two years before on fabric on AMS also failed. They conveniently failed to mention it of course in the nature paper that AMS was a fail. The main archeologist on STURP who was experienced at fabric testing - that is Meacham - also comprehensively showed that RC dating could never be the definitive answer . He wrote a book on it before the tests!

Also There is cotton in the test samples, none in the body of the shroud. So whatever they tested was not original shroud, it was later repair, and has a date gradient. Even the linen of the test samples does not match the linen of the shroud, it is much older and has a different structure. Even Michael Tite of the fraudulent dating now admits it is the shroud of really crucified man! So he disagrees with Garlasschelli too.

Meanwhile numerous other dating methods give first century, deposits show origin near jerusalem, and the forensic correspondence with far older custody sudarium and linceul of argemtuille make forgery impossible. The forger could not even see the chemistry he had to forge and the cloths were neever together! The non contact mark shows radiation as the cause.

Need I go on? There is a lot more supporting authenticity. Nothing at all supporting fraud other than discredited pseudoscience like the RC date.
So the overwhelming likelihood, it is the real deal.

It also matches the fact that iconography even in early centuries after discovery of the mandylion unified on the christ image you see, which has features that are peculiar to the shroud.

I find the lengths men go to Justify the creation of an image of God in the likeness of men fascinating.

Is. 53: 2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Ex. 20: 3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

And yet this world's religions create an image of Him that is almost a sex symbol. A long haired, extremely handsome man, with a perfect profile and deep blue eyes. The mother of this world's religions "who come in Christ's Name", AKA the RCC, even created a new High Day, with traditions mentioned in Jer. 10, founded on an ancient pagan religious observance of sun worshipers. in honor of this image's birthday.

This image is revered by over 70% of Americans, and in Mexico, even the drug Cartels have this image hanging on the walls of their homes.

So I guess Isaiah was deceived, and the RCC and "science" found an image of Christ that is not despised by men, but beautiful by men's standards.

I wonder how much money is made by the merchants of this world, in duplicating this handsome image of God in the likeness of men, and selling it?

I know the merchants of this world in India make a small fortune selling images of Buddha, so I can imagine there is good money is selling these images of Gods made in the likeness of men. Last year I saw a religious business selling "Jesus Bobble Heads" to stick to the dash of cars. A "Jesus Bobble Heads" for crying out loud!!!!

No!!!!!. I will not hold this image up and say to others "This is the God who brought me out of Spiritual Egypt".

I don't care what the scientists say, or the RCC or the religions of this world. I am already in enough trouble with the One True God, I'm not going to compound it by partaking of this image of God, nor of the "many" religions of this world who promote it.

Rev. 18: 3 For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.

What is the most observed High day on the planet today? Is it Passover? No! Pentecost? No! The Feasts of the Lord are pretty much despised by most of this world. But the Greatest, most observed High Day in this world today, was never even mentioned in the Holy scriptures, accept once in Jer. 10, is Christmas. The birthday of the image of God created in the likeness of some handsome long-haired man, created by the RCC and adopted by this entire world as God.

And the 2nd most observed high day in this world is "Halloween".

Truly it is no wonder the Spirit of the Christ tells those who would seek after Him

4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

I'm sure Mike means well. Just as I'm sure the Pope means well. And certainly both believe in the religious sect of this world they have adopted.

I am sure you mean well, but in a world full of deception should you not listen to scripture that tells you only to listen to those who are "sent" , to the faith handed down by them , and to the decisions JESUS makes when he uses his councils to resolve disputes on doctrine, which is the power to bind and loose. Jesus did not allow the devil to prevail over HIS church. He steers it through councils and popes.

You are told to take disputes to the church, the pillar of truth, because of the power to bind and loose, not rely on your own understanding of scripture. Without the church you do not even know what is scripture!

Tell me. If sola scriptura worked, where you all make up your own meaning for scripture, why do protestants all disagree on the meaning?
Polar opposites on much of it. Are there 10000 holy spirits guiding you in opposite directions?

I am sure you mean well, but in a world full of deception should you not listen to scripture that tells you only to listen to those who are "sent" , to the faith handed down by them , and to the decisions JESUS makes when he uses his councils to resolve disputes on doctrine, which is the power to bind and loose. Jesus did not allow the devil to prevail over HIS church. He steers it through councils and popes.

It is expected that men will defend the religion they have adopted, just as the Jews who adopted the religious sect of the Pharisees, defended theirs.

They also believed they were sent by God to promote a religion whose religious traditions cause those who adopt them to transgress God's Commandments, just as this world's religion who come in Christ's Name does.

Jesus specifically warned of men "Who come in Christ's Name", who call Jesus Lord, Lord, but "work" iniquity.

Paul also warns of religious men who "profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate".

And again;

Col. 2: 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

"Many" cling to the words of Constantine, and the religion he established known as the RCC. Others cling to words of other men and have created a religious business promoting a different philosophy. They are just a zealous for their adopted religion as the Pharisees or the members of the RCC does.

What I am advocating for, is trusting those who the Christ Inspired, when HE was up where HE was before, as well as those who He chose, when HE became a man in the person of Jesus. I reject the teaching that God cannot guide me by His Word. But I understand what this Truth would do to all the religious businesses who have created so much wealth and power for themselves. If I can know God without them, that would pretty much destroy the religious businesses of this world. So I can see how they would work so hard to discourage such a belief.

You are told to take disputes to the church, the pillar of truth, because of the power to bind and loose, not rely on your own understanding of scripture. Without the church you do not even know what is scripture!

I am well aware that the mother of mainstream Christianity, takes credit for saving the world through Constantine and the Council of Nicaea.

For me, I believe God preserved His Word just as HE promised. That He used Pharoah, or a Donkey, or the RCC for His Purpose, doesn't mean Pharoah, the donkey or the RCC is God, or God's Spokesman.

But the religious philosophy that I can't know God, unless I adopt the religious beliefs of the Pharisees, or the religious beliefs of the RCC, or the religious beliefs of Islam, or any of "many" religious sects of this world is nothing new. Even Abraham was born into religions that the Christ instructed him to leave. Even Caleb was surrounded by men who Professed to know God but were disobedient to Him. Even Jesus and Peter were born into a world in which religions existed, that Transgressed God's Commandments by their own manmade religious Traditions.

The RCC broke away from the Pharisees religion but kept many of their religious traditions. They created manmade shrines of worship. They created their own judgments, their own sabbaths, their own high days. They adopted the business and marketing strategy of the Pharisees, and created one of the largest religious businesses this world has ever seen. A religious business that is joined to the hip of this world. The Church of God defined in the Holy scriptures was not of this world.

These things are simply true. Do they matter? Maybe not. Nevertheless, they are true.
Tell me. If sola scriptura worked, where you all make up your own meaning for scripture, why do protestants all disagree on the meaning?

The Protestant religions, in like manner, broke away from the RCC, but kept "many" of her religious traditions, like the business and marketing strategy, which includes building large shrines of worship, and creating religious businesses and corporations which must compete with the RCC for butts to fill the seats, whose money is required for the religious business to even succeed. They kept the manmade Sabbath of the RCC, and her High Days and many of her philosophies.

But like the Pharisees, they also transgress God's commandments by their own religious traditions. What Protest religion is founded on "Sola Scriptura"? They may SAY such things, but it doesn't take long to identify, by their works, that they don't.

I don't usually spend much time in debate with those who have adopted the religious sect of the RCC because of what the Scriptures say.

Hos. 4: 17 Ephraim is joined to idols: let him alone. 18 Their drink is sour: they have committed whoredom continually: her rulers with shame do love, Give ye.

At least you admit that your religion is not based in Scripture. And Jesus said "Offenses must come". Eve also was placed into a world in which God's Voice, and "another voice" who quoted some of God's Word, existed. And she was also given the opportunity to choose which voice she would "Yield herself" a Servant to obey. So I know these religions of this world must exist.

I'm simply advocating that God is able to direct those who SEEK His Kingdom and HIS Righteousness, as the Jesus "of the Bible" instructs, without me having to choose between all these "Many" other voices. After all, Jesus did say, and you ignored, "And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead"

Polar opposites on much of it. Are there 10000 holy spirits guiding you in opposite directions?

They are not guiding me, nor did they guide Paul, nor Jesus, although they existed in the world they were born into.

I agree that there are 10,000 different spirits, "ministers also transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works", and that you have adopted one of them. And others have adopted different ministers than you have. Just as some had adopted the religious sect of the Pharisees, and some the religious sect of the Sadducees who guided people in different, sometimes opposite directions.

But for me, "There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all". Abel, Abraham Caleb, Zacharias, Simeon, Peter, James, and EVERY Example of faithful man in the entire Bible belonged to this One Body.

And this Body did not "Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition", while the "Churches" of this world, including the RCC, most clearly does.

Again, do these Words of the Christ "of the Bible" matter? Is the image of God your adopted religion created, truly the God who leads men out of Spiritual Egypt?

It is my understanding that we will all find out one day. In the meantime, I will follow the advice of the Apostle that the Christ "of the Bible" inspired, and trust the Holy scriptures "for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

Others are free to "yield themselves" servants to obey another voice if they so choose.

Anyone that has a picture of Jesus has a piece of art not a photograph. We do have a description of him from the Bible it says he was very common looking. So any religion that shows a picture of Jesus by your statement Would be in error.

The closest thing we get to a description is in Isaiah 53:2b, “He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to Him, nothing in His appearance that we should desire Him.” All this tells us is that Jesus’ appearance was just like any other man’s – He was ordinary-looking.

No Israelite males had long hair- 1Cor 11:14, it was a dishonor. Jesus would never bring dishonor to his Fathers name. God made an exception for the Nazarites( Samson) not Nazarenes( Jesus) to not cut their hair. Soby a religion portraying Jesus as a hippie, they show him bringing dishonor tohis Fathers name-Why? Because they do not know Jesus.

Scripture is only Gods word, if first you correctly decide what is scripture ( a decision of the church) and you have the right meaning ( for it , for which scripture tells you you need the church! - the pillar of truth that can bind and loose)

You only have words, and attach your own meaning to them, leaning on your understanding , not listening to those who were sent to teach you.
One needs-these-Matt 24:45= Jesus' appointed teachers=in 1 single religion( 1 Cor 1:10), not hundreds of different ones claiming to be christian. The rest are a mass of confusion.

How?

........... Divine guidance.

It's counterpoint/antithesis would be demonic influence.

Our spiritual life amounts to one thing.
Its ultimately only between us and God alone, no matter how many people God brings us in contact with
to help each other along the way.

God is real. He desires that we know Him to our fullest capacity.

Knowing truth be done according to God knowing our true desire as to how much He knows we are willing to know God.
According to how much we are willing to suffer for righteousness sake...

Its not a matter of how we can discern truth in a world of deception.

The world of deception is a maze that God placed us in with His desire for us to learn to find the way out on the other side.
The filling of the Spirit and the maintaining of its function (1 John 1:9) is become our trusted GPS.
For its the filling of the Spirit that guides us into all the truth we shall need for our lifetime.

grace and peace .................

Jim began by referring to 2 Timothy 3 where Paul warns that in the last days perilous times shall come and he outlines a number of characteristics of those days. Then in verse 5 he notes, “Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.” You’ll also see that he warns that this kind of deception will get worse and worse.

One of the greatest spiritual deceptions of our day is shown by the people who claim to be Christian yet the doctrine and teachings they espouse are very far removed from the Bible.

For example, in 2 Corinthians 11:13-14 Paul said, “For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.” In other words, many people can be deceived and not even know it.

So how can we discern truth in a world of deception? Returning to Crosstalk to answer that question was Mike Gendron. Mike is founder and director of Proclaiming the Gospel Ministry. Mike was a devout Roman Catholic for over 3 decades and was taught to rely upon the authority of the church above all else. Mike searched the Scriptures and was amazed to find that what he read in Scripture contradicted the teaching and tradition of the church he had been a part of for so long. He trusted Jesus as his Savior and now the Bible has become his sole authority in all matters of faith. Mike is the author of the books, Preparing for Eternity and Contending for the Gospel and has produced numerous videos with warnings concerning false teachings vs. the truth of the Scriptures.

Mike noted how culture is redefining truth. No longer is truth objective but it’s subjective with people saying that your truth is just as valid as mine. God has given us a way to be protected from such deception. It’s through the infallible and inspired, authoritative Word of God. It’s the only infallible source for truth on earth. That means everyone and everything must be tested by the supreme authority of God’s Word.

How does Mike define discernment? It’s being able to tell what is true and what is false. Why do we need this? It’s because this is the way we can tell good from evil and it exposes those who call evil good, and good, evil. In fact, it was John (in 1 John 4) who exhorted Christians to judge concerning doctrinal and spiritual issues, telling readers not to believe every spirit, but to test the spirits to see if they’re from God because many false prophets have gone into the world. So discernment distinguishes truth from error in order to prevent false teaching from coming into the church.

According to Mike there are many areas within Roman Catholicism that deceive people. For example, all the graces needed to attain eternal life must be merited in the Catholic church. That brings up some questions. For example, how do you merit the unmerited favor of God? Also, if Jesus paid it all at Calvary, why is He offered daily as a sacrificial victim on Catholic altars?

So in the end, as someone who has great love and compassion for Catholics, Mike is simply saying, don’t believe him. Go to the Bible and see if what he’s saying is true. Are you trusting in Jesus as your all-sufficient Savior and His righteousness or are you trusting in sacraments, purgatory, your religious rituals or your own works? After all, you must make a choice. Christ alone is your only hope of salvation!
What did Jesus tell us in John 16?

Joh 16:12-15 WEB 12 “I still have many things to tell you, but you can’t bear them now. 13 However, when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take from what is mine and will declare it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are mine; therefore I said that he takes of mine and will declare it to you.

So, I'm thinking that the only way for us to know the truth is to engage YHVH on his terms and conditions.... the written Word and the Holy Spirit, through faith in Jesus.

What did Jesus tell us in John 16?

Joh 16:12-15 WEB 12 “I still have many things to tell you, but you can’t bear them now. 13 However, when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take from what is mine and will declare it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are mine; therefore I said that he takes of mine and will declare it to you.

So, I'm thinking that the only way for us to know the truth is to engage YHVH on his terms and conditions.... the written Word and the Holy Spirit, through faith in Jesus.
Amen @SteveB

Back
Top Bottom