Here I summarize seven atonement theories.

Well I believe PSA is false, unbiblical and an assault on the nature and character of God. So when someone affirms it I will oppose it just like I do when someone denies the humanity or deity of Christ, the Trinity or the gospel.
So far I am making a good case for PSA brother-by the Chen of YHVH and our Lord Jesus Christ-Where PSA originated from and the venomous attacks on PSA.
You shouldn't be defensive when-what you believe to be true-and come under cross examination-might NOT be true.
You said you listened to William Craig and have read his book-but have you?
We are dealing with judicial, law court terms here.
Again-have you studied Isaiah 53 in Hebrew? For yourself?
Or are you convinced it is not pertaining to Mashiach-but Yisrael?

Thanks
J.

So far I am making a good case for PSA brother-by the Chen of YHVH and our Lord Jesus Christ-Where PSA originated from and the venomous attacks on PSA.
You shouldn't be defensive when-what you believe to be true-and come under cross examination-might NOT be true.
You said you listened to William Craig and have read his book-but have you?
We are dealing with judicial, law court terms here.
Again-have you studied Isaiah 53 in Hebrew? For yourself?
Or are you convinced it is not pertaining to Mashiach-but Yisrael?

Thanks
J.
yes I reject the judical law aspect of psa that came from the reformation period just like I reject their view of predestination, sovereignty and tulip which came from the same exact group of people.

Before jumping into some issues with PSA, let's look at its origin. If the Apostles taught PSA, they did an abysmal job since none of their successors talked about it before the Reformation. Okay, maybe that's a bit disingenuous since Anselm of Canterbury (11th century) laid the framework.

Anselm of Canterbury proposed a substitutionary atonement model, albeit not a fully developed theory. According to Anselm's Cur Deus Homo, sin is not doing God's will, which then "steals" His honor. As a result, we are in debt to God, and we owe him back the honor we stole by sinning. His honor must be appeased. For Anselm, "because God is infinite, any wound to his honor caused by the sins of Man must also be infinite, and the only way infinite satisfaction for these sins can be granted on behalf of man is by the voluntary death of Jesus, who is both God and Man."

"If God is not paid the honor due Him, He is dishonored, having His honor taken from him. God's honor is stolen by through sin. However, as long as he does not repay what he has stolen, he remains guilty. But it is not enough for him merely to repay what has been stolen; rather, because of the wrong which has been inflicted, he ought to repay more than he has stolen. For example, if someone who injures another's health restores it, his doing so is insufficient payment unless he also gives some compensation for the painful wrong that was inflicted. Similarly, he who violates another's honor does not sufficiently repay this honor unless, in proportion to the injury caused by the dishonoring, he makes some restitution which is acceptable to the one whom he dishonored. We must also note that when someone repays what he has stolen, he ought to return that which could not be exacted from him had he not stolen what belonged to another. Accordingly, then, everyone who sins is obliged to repay to God the honor which he has stolen. This [repayment of stolen honor] constitutes the satisfaction which every sinner is obliged to make to God… To forgive sin in this manner is identical with not punishing it. Now, in the absence of satisfaction, to order sin rightly is only to punish it; therefore, if sin is not punished, something disordered is forgiven… Therefore, it is not fitting that God should forgive sin that goes thus unpunished." (Cur Deus Homo Chapter 11-12).
Punishment is a key concept to Anselm, but why? Anselm is often criticized for deriving his doctrine of salvation from Germanic tribal law. Anselm's idea of satisfaction draws from the idea that atonement for grievances must be made in Germanic clans. Within their framework, one person can stand in for another. So, in his mind, Anselm sees the need for someone to be punished for sin, which makes up his framework of Christ's death. I think it's important to note that in Anselm, there isn't the concept that the Father punished Christ; it wasn't the suffering of the divine wrath, but that God was satisfied by Christ's punishment. The Father doesn't punish Christ, and Christ bears no punishment. So we see in the 11th century a substitutionary atonement but not penal substitutionary atonement.

It's important to note that's over 1,000 years after Christ before we see the roots of PSA.

The Reformers​

The Reformers, as we know, claimed they were recovering the truth of the Gospel to align their doctrine with the New Testament and the earliest Christians. Believing the Middle Ages had corrupted Christianity, the Reformers looked to redefine many of the doctrines of the Church. Luther goes so far as to say that Christ becomes the greatest and only sinner on earth while on the cross. Luther adopted parts of Anselm's ideas but with more of a dichotomy or conflict between the wrath of God and the love of God.

We see a very real development of penal substitutionary atonement theory in John Calvin. Calvin took Anselm's groundwork and expanded in an even more legalistic way. He applied his understanding of criminal law to the equation - man is a criminal and must be punished by God, who is angered by sin. The Son of God is sent to earth to bear the immense wrath of the God of all for us so that God may then be merciful. Calvin says things like "God, then, must of necessity look upon us in the person of His own Son, or else he is bound to hate us and abhor us," "For since by nature we are unclean, and utterly rejected and cursed by God," and talks about the "hatred between him and us." These concepts are foreign to the East and yet critical to penal substitutionary atonement.

The Early Church had no concept of God imputing the guilt of our sins to Christ, and he, in our place, bearing the punishment we deserve. Christ making payment for our sins, which satisfies God's wrath and righteousness so that He could forgive sinners without compromising his holiness, is a late addition to Christian thought.

One of the most well-known verses in the New Testament to my faith group growing up was Romans 3:23-26. It's part of the "Road to Romans" evangelism track. It's interesting to read it while contemplating penal atonement - nowhere does it say Christ is punished in our place (we'll tackle the word "propitiation" in just a minute). The same is true for the verses cited in favor of penal substitution - nowhere do they say Christ was a substitution, that the Father punished Christ, or that God's wrath had to be sated by Christ.

Because of the fall, our ability to remain in union with God was damaged.

Now I want to be clear here - I have not been discussing atonement in general, but the specific doctrine of penal atonement substitution - the idea that the Father unleashed His wrath on Christ on the cross to satisfy His need for blood for forgiveness. God needed someone his equal in rank to satisfy the breaking of the law for justice to be fulfilled. The Father pours out His wrath on Christ to satisfy the offenses against His Law since Adam. It is this that I find preposterous, not the idea that Christ does atone for us. I have to ask: why would a good, loving God have to take out His wrath on His creation?

Serious Issues with PSA​

Biblical Atonement
Old Testament sacrifices don't align with a penal substitution - the animals that were sacrificed were offered as an atonement, not to become a substitute and take punishment, but became sacred and were eaten. Let's look at the Passover lamb and Christ - we see a correlation throughout the New Testament of Christ to the Passover lamb of Exodus 12 (John 1:29, 1 Peter 1:19, Revelation 5, to name just a few). The Passover lamb wasn't a sacrifice of substitution for sin, but instead, it identified those in the homes with the blood marking the doorposts were part of the Chosen People. If the lamb had "become sin," it would have been unclean; the Israelites assuredly would not have eaten the lamb as they were instructed to do in Exodus 12:6. Instead, as Theodoret of Cyrus says of 2 Corinthians 5:21, when Christ became sin, “Christ was called what we are in order to call us to be what he is,” harkening to St. Athanasus’ incarnational theology from On the Incarnation.

The Early Church saw Christ as the Passover lamb, as we see in John 1:29, 1 Corinthians 5:7, Revelation 13:8, and the Book of Hebrews makes extensive references to Christ's sacrifice when speaking of His priesthood. Just as the Passover lamb becomes a meal, so does the crucified Christ in the Eucharist. The Passover lamb is sacrificed, and its blood marks the doorposts of Israel as, Fr. Stephen Freeman points out:

The lamb of Passover is slain and the doorposts of Israel marked with his blood to defeat the "destroyer," who kills the firstborn of Egypt. This destruction of Egypt (along with the drowning in the Red Sea) is all God's "getting glory" over Pharoah. It is the proper context for understanding Christ's description of His death as His glorification.
It's not just the Passover lamb that doesn't align with penal substitutionary atonement in the Old Testament, but the sin offerings as well. The sin offerings are implemented in Leviticus; the animals are sacrificed to atone for sin, not to die so that the person offering could live. The animal didn't have sin placed on it or become sin. The scapegoat, however, would symbolically bear the sins of the people, and it was sent out from the city, not sacrificed. The one-time sins are placed on the animal being offered; it isn't killed (see Leviticus 16:10).

Old Testament

PSA runs counter to the Scriptures. Death isn't a punishment but a consequence of Adam's sin. Genesis 2:17 doesn't say that God will kill Adam when he eats the fruit, that God'll punish him, but that he will die. It's a result of his action rather than a punishment inflicted by God. When humanity sinned, death came into the world. It wasn't God's punishment but a consequence.

To quote from Alexander Renault's book Rediscovering Tulip,

"To walk away from God (i.e., to sin) is by definition, death. Death is the realm of 'Not God.' Likewise, if I pull the plug on my own life support system, the result is death. No one else is killing me. If I jump off the roof, after being warned by my mother not to, and I end up breaking my leg, does that mean that my mother broke my leg? No, that was simply the result of my own choice. Christ gave Himself up to death. If death is an active punishment from God, then Christ was punished by His Father (per penal substitution). But if death is the result of sin, then it is an outside enemy and not God's own wrath."
Plus, Jeremiah 31:2-30, Ezekiel 18:20, and Deuteronomy 24:16 tell us that a person is put to death for his own sin and that the wickedness of the wicked is upon himself. That isn't the case in penal substitution.

Looking at the Law, a person who murdered couldn't sacrifice an animal to atone for it. He must pay. It's also important to note that verses like Deuteronomy 24:16, 2 Kings 14:6, 2 Chronicles/4 Kings 25:4, and Ezekiel 18:19-20 make a strong case against the idea of substitutionary punishments.

God's Wrath and Unconditional Love

PSA removes unconditional love from God and God doesn't actually forgive. God can't love us unless He has an outlet for his wrath. Again from Renault, "His "self-giving" love is only made possible by His "self-satisfying" justice." If His love is conditional on his wrath being appeased, God also doesn't forgive us - unlike the parable of the servant forgiven his debt or the prodigal son, God doesn't welcome us back or forgive us, but instead requires someone else to pay the debt, contrary to how Christ explains the love of the Father for us. Plus, the Father is changed - He is angry with us, Christ bares his wrath, and now He loves us like he loves Christ - we aren't forgiven, God is merely appeased!

PSA also renders Christ's sacrifice imperfect. God's wrath remains, but only on some. Christ's sacrifice for all of humanity is contingent. God is only appeased for some, not all. This is remedied in Calvinism by the belief that God foreknew his elect and sent Christ to pay for their sins.

The Nature of Salvation & Redemption

We have the question of what exactly is meant by salvation. In the Bible, salvation is so much more than avoiding eternal punishment like liberation from bondage (Exodus 14:30, 15:2, Psalms 106:21), return from exile (Isaiah 45:17), and rescue from danger (Psalms 27:1, 51:12, 65:5, 69:2).

Penal substitution belittles salvation to merely a transactional event on the cross, a legal barter made by Jesus for us, not a transformational redemption and largely ignores the resurrection. Sin is still a part of our lives, but we are no longer defined by it, but by grace and love (Romans 6). Instead, we are transformed by Christ's death and resurrection. Sin is still a part of our lives and our world, but we are no longer defined by it, but by grace (Romans 6). We are now agents of God's Kingdom, here and now, not some distant faraway concept (1 Corinthians 13:12).

Division of the Trinity

This becomes problematic in the light of the Trinity when we look at Christ on the cross. The Father pours out his wrath on the Son. The Father has wrath, and for his need for justice, so He must punish. The Son, on the cross, asks for forgiveness, making a conflict in the divine will - punishment versus forgiveness. Taking it to the furthest logical conclusion puts the Son and the Father at odds, creating a divide within the indivisible Trinity. It also calls to question Christ's place in the Godhead. Shouldn't Christ's holiness also be offended? Why would the Father need appeasement and not Christ or the Holy Spirit?

And if God the Father is truly punishing Christ, that is also sowing very real division within the Trinity. If the Father inflicts torture on the Son, how can the perfect love and unity of the Trinity survive?

A Personal View

I am an imperfect human. I am an imperfect father. I have imperfect love. Yet I can say without question that I do not need to see my daughter forced to suffer to forgive her. I don't need her to be punished. I don't need anyone else to either. When she makes a poor choice and disobeys me, I don't become wrathful against her and need to see her punished to be willing to forgive her, much less to love her again. If, in my imperfect love, I don't become overwhelmed by wrath and anger, demanding justice, how can I view God, who is beyond love, in that light?

What About Isaiah 53?​

Isaiah 53 is a paramount prophecy to defenders of penal substitutionary theory, yet it is often taken out of context. A bold claim, I know, but hear me out. Nowhere in Isaiah does it say that the Father is punishing Christ. Actually, verse 4 says that despite the fact he bears our griefs and sorrows, "yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted." Let's reword that - humanity's perception is that He is afflicted by God, not that God has smitten Him. Another key passage is verse 5, which tells us "by His stripes we are healed," not "by His stripes the Father is appeased." Let's look at a literal translation from the Septuagint:

"The one our sins bore and on account of us he was grieved. And we considered him to be a misery, and for calamity by God, and for ill-treatment. But he was wounded because of our sins and was made infirm on account of our lawless deeds." One should read Isaiah as a prophecy of Christ's healing work, viewing Christ's work as more encompassing than the narrow focus PSA allocates it to.

So What's the Alternative?​

The Greek word translated to "atonement" in the Bible is "hilasterion "(ιλαστηριον). In Romans 3:23-25 we read "…for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation (ιλαστηριον) by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness because, in his divine forbearance, he had passed over former sins." The word here is a Greek word, so a literal translation can be tricky. One translation propitiation, which implies an act of appeasing or making God happy to either gain favor or avoid retribution.

As Eric Hyde argues, "If one chooses to interpret hilasterion as propitiation (literally: "to make favorable," with the implication of placating or appeasing the deity), then the entire Western notion of substitutionary atonement fits well." But, if one uses the word expiation, which implies a cleansing and removing of sin, this fits less into the penal substitutionary atonement model. This turns the death and resurrection of Christ around - no longer is Christ trying to appease an angry God the Father who has wrath that must be satisfied; instead, Christ is lovingly redeeming and restoring humanity. Let's also consider that hilasterion is used in the Septuagint to mean the "mercy seat" or "thing that atones." It also appears again in Hebrews 9:5 as the mercy seat. Given that context to hilasterion, it makes more sense that Christ's self-sacrifice was an act to remove our sins instead of an act to appease or pacify an angry Father, so He can forgive.

We know that death entered the world through sin and is something that every living thing on earth is subject to. In Christ's Incarnation, He reunited God and man in a way that only the Eternal Logos, being fully God and taking on humanity. Through His death, Christ defeated our enemy, death, and restored the human race (2 Timothy 1:10 and 1 Corinthians 15:55-57). We share in Christ's death and resurrection (Romans 6:8-14; 7:6) and, through Christ's atonement, we've been made clean and freed from sin (Ephesians 1:7; John 1:7), reuniting us to God and making us partakers of the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4).

Christ's work is redemptive. Christ's sacrifice was restorative. Christ brings God to man, as only one who is God and man can, bridging the gap, conquering death, and restoring us to life. This is the good news in the Scriptures. This is what has been taught by the Church since Pentecost.misfittheology

hope this helps !!!

yes I reject the judical law aspect of psa that came from the reformation period just like I reject their view of predestination, sovereignty and tulip which came from the same exact group of people.
Hmm-I am not talking about predestination-sanctification as per Reformers-But KIPPUR.
And since Atonement is multi faceted-as a diamond-you exclude the judicial side of it-right?

Before jumping into some issues with PSA, let's look at its origin. If the Apostles taught PSA, they did an abysmal job since none of their successors talked about it before the Reformation. Okay, maybe that's a bit disingenuous since Anselm of Canterbury (11th century) laid the framework.

Anselm of Canterbury proposed a substitutionary atonement model, albeit not a fully developed theory. According to Anselm's Cur Deus Homo, sin is not doing God's will, which then "steals" His honor. As a result, we are in debt to God, and we owe him back the honor we stole by sinning. His honor must be appeased. For Anselm, "because God is infinite, any wound to his honor caused by the sins of Man must also be infinite, and the only way infinite satisfaction for these sins can be granted on behalf of man is by the voluntary death of Jesus, who is both God and Man."

Punishment is a key concept to Anselm, but why? Anselm is often criticized for deriving his doctrine of salvation from Germanic tribal law. Anselm's idea of satisfaction draws from the idea that atonement for grievances must be made in Germanic clans. Within their framework, one person can stand in for another. So, in his mind, Anselm sees the need for someone to be punished for sin, which makes up his framework of Christ's death. I think it's important to note that in Anselm, there isn't the concept that the Father punished Christ; it wasn't the suffering of the divine wrath, but that God was satisfied by Christ's punishment. The Father doesn't punish Christ, and Christ bears no punishment. So we see in the 11th century a substitutionary atonement but not penal substitutionary atonement.

It's important to note that's over 1,000 years after Christ before we see the roots of PSA.

The Reformers​

The Reformers, as we know, claimed they were recovering the truth of the Gospel to align their doctrine with the New Testament and the earliest Christians. Believing the Middle Ages had corrupted Christianity, the Reformers looked to redefine many of the doctrines of the Church. Luther goes so far as to say that Christ becomes the greatest and only sinner on earth while on the cross. Luther adopted parts of Anselm's ideas but with more of a dichotomy or conflict between the wrath of God and the love of God.

We see a very real development of penal substitutionary atonement theory in John Calvin. Calvin took Anselm's groundwork and expanded in an even more legalistic way. He applied his understanding of criminal law to the equation - man is a criminal and must be punished by God, who is angered by sin. The Son of God is sent to earth to bear the immense wrath of the God of all for us so that God may then be merciful. Calvin says things like "God, then, must of necessity look upon us in the person of His own Son, or else he is bound to hate us and abhor us," "For since by nature we are unclean, and utterly rejected and cursed by God," and talks about the "hatred between him and us." These concepts are foreign to the East and yet critical to penal substitutionary atonement.

The Early Church had no concept of God imputing the guilt of our sins to Christ, and he, in our place, bearing the punishment we deserve. Christ making payment for our sins, which satisfies God's wrath and righteousness so that He could forgive sinners without compromising his holiness, is a late addition to Christian thought.

One of the most well-known verses in the New Testament to my faith group growing up was Romans 3:23-26. It's part of the "Road to Romans" evangelism track. It's interesting to read it while contemplating penal atonement - nowhere does it say Christ is punished in our place (we'll tackle the word "propitiation" in just a minute). The same is true for the verses cited in favor of penal substitution - nowhere do they say Christ was a substitution, that the Father punished Christ, or that God's wrath had to be sated by Christ.

Because of the fall, our ability to remain in union with God was damaged.

Now I want to be clear here - I have not been discussing atonement in general, but the specific doctrine of penal atonement substitution - the idea that the Father unleashed His wrath on Christ on the cross to satisfy His need for blood for forgiveness. God needed someone his equal in rank to satisfy the breaking of the law for justice to be fulfilled. The Father pours out His wrath on Christ to satisfy the offenses against His Law since Adam. It is this that I find preposterous, not the idea that Christ does atone for us. I have to ask: why would a good, loving God have to take out His wrath on His creation?

Serious Issues with PSA​

Biblical Atonement
Old Testament sacrifices don't align with a penal substitution - the animals that were sacrificed were offered as an atonement, not to become a substitute and take punishment, but became sacred and were eaten. Let's look at the Passover lamb and Christ - we see a correlation throughout the New Testament of Christ to the Passover lamb of Exodus 12 (John 1:29, 1 Peter 1:19, Revelation 5, to name just a few). The Passover lamb wasn't a sacrifice of substitution for sin, but instead, it identified those in the homes with the blood marking the doorposts were part of the Chosen People. If the lamb had "become sin," it would have been unclean; the Israelites assuredly would not have eaten the lamb as they were instructed to do in Exodus 12:6. Instead, as Theodoret of Cyrus says of 2 Corinthians 5:21, when Christ became sin, “Christ was called what we are in order to call us to be what he is,” harkening to St. Athanasus’ incarnational theology from On the Incarnation.

The Early Church saw Christ as the Passover lamb, as we see in John 1:29, 1 Corinthians 5:7, Revelation 13:8, and the Book of Hebrews makes extensive references to Christ's sacrifice when speaking of His priesthood. Just as the Passover lamb becomes a meal, so does the crucified Christ in the Eucharist. The Passover lamb is sacrificed, and its blood marks the doorposts of Israel as, Fr. Stephen Freeman points out:

It's not just the Passover lamb that doesn't align with penal substitutionary atonement in the Old Testament, but the sin offerings as well. The sin offerings are implemented in Leviticus; the animals are sacrificed to atone for sin, not to die so that the person offering could live. The animal didn't have sin placed on it or become sin. The scapegoat, however, would symbolically bear the sins of the people, and it was sent out from the city, not sacrificed. The one-time sins are placed on the animal being offered; it isn't killed (see Leviticus 16:10).

Old Testament

PSA runs counter to the Scriptures. Death isn't a punishment but a consequence of Adam's sin. Genesis 2:17 doesn't say that God will kill Adam when he eats the fruit, that God'll punish him, but that he will die. It's a result of his action rather than a punishment inflicted by God. When humanity sinned, death came into the world. It wasn't God's punishment but a consequence.

To quote from Alexander Renault's book Rediscovering Tulip,

Plus, Jeremiah 31:2-30, Ezekiel 18:20, and Deuteronomy 24:16 tell us that a person is put to death for his own sin and that the wickedness of the wicked is upon himself. That isn't the case in penal substitution.

Looking at the Law, a person who murdered couldn't sacrifice an animal to atone for it. He must pay. It's also important to note that verses like Deuteronomy 24:16, 2 Kings 14:6, 2 Chronicles/4 Kings 25:4, and Ezekiel 18:19-20 make a strong case against the idea of substitutionary punishments.

God's Wrath and Unconditional Love

PSA removes unconditional love from God and God doesn't actually forgive. God can't love us unless He has an outlet for his wrath. Again from Renault, "His "self-giving" love is only made possible by His "self-satisfying" justice." If His love is conditional on his wrath being appeased, God also doesn't forgive us - unlike the parable of the servant forgiven his debt or the prodigal son, God doesn't welcome us back or forgive us, but instead requires someone else to pay the debt, contrary to how Christ explains the love of the Father for us. Plus, the Father is changed - He is angry with us, Christ bares his wrath, and now He loves us like he loves Christ - we aren't forgiven, God is merely appeased!

PSA also renders Christ's sacrifice imperfect. God's wrath remains, but only on some. Christ's sacrifice for all of humanity is contingent. God is only appeased for some, not all. This is remedied in Calvinism by the belief that God foreknew his elect and sent Christ to pay for their sins.

The Nature of Salvation & Redemption

We have the question of what exactly is meant by salvation. In the Bible, salvation is so much more than avoiding eternal punishment like liberation from bondage (Exodus 14:30, 15:2, Psalms 106:21), return from exile (Isaiah 45:17), and rescue from danger (Psalms 27:1, 51:12, 65:5, 69:2).

Penal substitution belittles salvation to merely a transactional event on the cross, a legal barter made by Jesus for us, not a transformational redemption and largely ignores the resurrection. Sin is still a part of our lives, but we are no longer defined by it, but by grace and love (Romans 6). Instead, we are transformed by Christ's death and resurrection. Sin is still a part of our lives and our world, but we are no longer defined by it, but by grace (Romans 6). We are now agents of God's Kingdom, here and now, not some distant faraway concept (1 Corinthians 13:12).

Division of the Trinity

This becomes problematic in the light of the Trinity when we look at Christ on the cross. The Father pours out his wrath on the Son. The Father has wrath, and for his need for justice, so He must punish. The Son, on the cross, asks for forgiveness, making a conflict in the divine will - punishment versus forgiveness. Taking it to the furthest logical conclusion puts the Son and the Father at odds, creating a divide within the indivisible Trinity. It also calls to question Christ's place in the Godhead. Shouldn't Christ's holiness also be offended? Why would the Father need appeasement and not Christ or the Holy Spirit?

And if God the Father is truly punishing Christ, that is also sowing very real division within the Trinity. If the Father inflicts torture on the Son, how can the perfect love and unity of the Trinity survive?

A Personal View

I am an imperfect human. I am an imperfect father. I have imperfect love. Yet I can say without question that I do not need to see my daughter forced to suffer to forgive her. I don't need her to be punished. I don't need anyone else to either. When she makes a poor choice and disobeys me, I don't become wrathful against her and need to see her punished to be willing to forgive her, much less to love her again. If, in my imperfect love, I don't become overwhelmed by wrath and anger, demanding justice, how can I view God, who is beyond love, in that light?

What About Isaiah 53?​

Isaiah 53 is a paramount prophecy to defenders of penal substitutionary theory, yet it is often taken out of context. A bold claim, I know, but hear me out. Nowhere in Isaiah does it say that the Father is punishing Christ. Actually, verse 4 says that despite the fact he bears our griefs and sorrows, "yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted." Let's reword that - humanity's perception is that He is afflicted by God, not that God has smitten Him. Another key passage is verse 5, which tells us "by His stripes we are healed," not "by His stripes the Father is appeased." Let's look at a literal translation from the Septuagint:

"The one our sins bore and on account of us he was grieved. And we considered him to be a misery, and for calamity by God, and for ill-treatment. But he was wounded because of our sins and was made infirm on account of our lawless deeds." One should read Isaiah as a prophecy of Christ's healing work, viewing Christ's work as more encompassing than the narrow focus PSA allocates it to.

So What's the Alternative?​

The Greek word translated to "atonement" in the Bible is "hilasterion "(ιλαστηριον). In Romans 3:23-25 we read "…for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation (ιλαστηριον) by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness because, in his divine forbearance, he had passed over former sins." The word here is a Greek word, so a literal translation can be tricky. One translation propitiation, which implies an act of appeasing or making God happy to either gain favor or avoid retribution.

As Eric Hyde argues, "If one chooses to interpret hilasterion as propitiation (literally: "to make favorable," with the implication of placating or appeasing the deity), then the entire Western notion of substitutionary atonement fits well." But, if one uses the word expiation, which implies a cleansing and removing of sin, this fits less into the penal substitutionary atonement model. This turns the death and resurrection of Christ around - no longer is Christ trying to appease an angry God the Father who has wrath that must be satisfied; instead, Christ is lovingly redeeming and restoring humanity. Let's also consider that hilasterion is used in the Septuagint to mean the "mercy seat" or "thing that atones." It also appears again in Hebrews 9:5 as the mercy seat. Given that context to hilasterion, it makes more sense that Christ's self-sacrifice was an act to remove our sins instead of an act to appease or pacify an angry Father, so He can forgive.

We know that death entered the world through sin and is something that every living thing on earth is subject to. In Christ's Incarnation, He reunited God and man in a way that only the Eternal Logos, being fully God and taking on humanity. Through His death, Christ defeated our enemy, death, and restored the human race (2 Timothy 1:10 and 1 Corinthians 15:55-57). We share in Christ's death and resurrection (Romans 6:8-14; 7:6) and, through Christ's atonement, we've been made clean and freed from sin (Ephesians 1:7; John 1:7), reuniting us to God and making us partakers of the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4).

Christ's work is redemptive. Christ's sacrifice was restorative. Christ brings God to man, as only one who is God and man can, bridging the gap, conquering death, and restoring us to life. This is the good news in the Scriptures. This is what has been taught by the Church since Pentecost.misfittheology

hope this helps !!!
No link?
I have Anshelm's writings.

Is he right?
The "Misfits" said it-and it's done-no need for investigation?

How about be like a Berean?

Act 17:10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
Act 17:12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.

Case closed? Is that what you are saying?

Answering Objections to the Atonement with Dr. William Lane Craig

Last edited:
No link?
I have Anshelm's writings.

Is he right?
The "Misfits" said it-and it's done-no need for investigation?

How about be like a Berean?

Act 17:10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
Act 17:12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.

Case closed? Is that what you are saying?

You know full well I reject PSA and have written a thesis paper detailing all the biblical, theological and historical reasons why I cannot accept the doctrine. And I have cited numerous sources that support my thesis.

For anyone interested in reading it this is the link.

hope this helps !!

7. In the NT, the cross is never explained in terms of punishment. In fact, Paul’s densest statement
of the atonement, in Romans 3:21-26, refers neither to punishment nor to wrath. Christ’s death was
not meant to deal with wrath or judgment and therefore is not penal: Paul does not speak of Christ
bearing our punishment for us.

This is an important argument in a well-written and thoughtful book, already cited several times, by
Mark Baker and Joel Green, Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament and
Contemporary Contexts (2011). However, from the start, it leaves me with the impression that one of
its main aims is to persuade people away from the penal substitution view, and not always in a
straightforward manner.

Of course, the word wrath is used extensively in the preceding two chapters of Romans, and Baker and
Green are aware of it. The authors focus on Romans 1, where the revelation of God’s wrath is a present,
not a future phenomenon (73, 77-83, a rather long section). But they say hardly anything about
Romans 2 and the fact that wrath also has a future, eschatological side. This is acknowledged in the
text, but nothing is made of it.

They also ignore that chapter 1 finishes with “God’s righteous decree
that those who practice such things deserve to die” (Rom. 1:32), which sounds like punishment.

In Romans 2 and 3, the future side of wrath and judgment takes central stage. Clearly and explicitly,
judgment is coming, and at this point of the argument in Romans, Romans 3:20, all humans remain
without any hope to be acquitted in this future judgment. What is needed is a way to prevent the
assured verdict of condemnation that awaits the unrighteous and the ungodly in the day of judgment.

Romans 3:21-26 reveals this way.
Surely then, even if this passage does not use words like punishment, wrath, or judgment, it
nevertheless presents how God saves us from them. After all, Paul just spent two chapters painting

the background of wrath and judgment; there is no need to repeat this now.

Punishment is indeed a rare word in the NT and not used in connection with the cross. However, the
cross is connected with the curse: “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse
for us – for it is written, ‘Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree’” (Gal. 3:13 ESV). This “curse of

the law” is the legal consequence of breaking the covenant – an idea close to that of punishment.

Arguably, the biblical practice of sacrifice points in the same direction. PS offers a straightforward
explanation of what sacrifice stands for: the giving of a life, executing a death sentence. If this is not
the meaning of sacrifice, it remains unclear how blood can expiate (remove) sin or propitiate God’s

righteous wrath at sin.

8. PS is based on modern concepts of legal justice and the law court, which is quite different from
legal systems in the biblical world. This argument is important to Baker and Green (2011: 120f; it also
appears in their critique of Charles Hodge in chapter 6, 166-91).

In the Bible, we are not dealing with
the Western concept of impersonal criminal justice.
This is true. But covenants and more relational justice systems also know punishment, including the
option of a death sentence and exile when the covenant is broken. The language of “curse” fits right
in.
The objection does not disprove PS, but establishes the need to formulate appropriately – as in this
quote, which also appears in Baker and Green: “The shed blood is a sign that God has proved his
covenant faithfulness precisely by undergoing the sanctions, legal and relational, for covenant

disobedience” (Vanhoozer 2004: 398, quoted in Baker and Green 2011: 186f; emphasis original).

9. Could God have chosen to simply forgive sin, without the need for any substitutionary
punishment? Does he really have to punish sin? In the human world, we know the practice of pardon,
in which a criminal is released without serving his punishment. Could God have extended a general
pardon to all who would repent and turn to him, thus sparing his son the ordeal of the cross? If not, it
appears to limit God: he is not free but is under obligation to punish.
I find this a difficult question and it has been controversially debated almost from the beginning. It
won’t do to point to the many occasions where God does indeed forgive sinners in the Bible. He may
have been doing this in anticipation of dealing with the debt of punishment later, as Romans 3:25f
seems to imply (“he had passed over former sins”, but only “to show his righteousness at the present
time”, through Christ paying the penalty on the cross). The same self-revelation of God that claims he
is “slow to anger” and forgives iniquity also includes that he “will not leave unpunished” (so literally
Ex. 34:6f). There is an obvious tension here. Is the cross the only way it could have been relieved?
Opinions differ.
I do see some difficulties with the idea that God could ‘just as well’ forgive without propitiation or
satisfaction.

• Is the widespread human intuition that criminals should pay for what they have done wrong?
Hebrews does not consider retribution unjust: “every transgression or disobedience received a just
retribution” (Heb. 2:2).

• To forgive and to pardon are not the same thing. Forgiveness is personal and private; it is entirely
my decision if I want to forgive a debt, of whatever kind, that someone owes me. Pardon is public
and formal; it is an act performed by rulers. Therefore:

• It is not only a question of what God requires (or desires) for his own sake; the issues are public,
not private, and at stake is also what the universe as God’s creation needs. Even if God would not
need retribution, what about others? What about the victims of transgression or injustice? Is it fair
to let the perpetrators off the hook?

• To put this differently, God “must be just in justifying” (Davidson 2017: 52). The shocking paradox
of Romans is that God justifies the ungodly (Rom. 4:5). How can this be just? “What the doctrine
of the atonement attempts haltingly to articulate is the equal ultimacy of God’s love and God’s
light (justice, holiness). On the cross neither mercy nor justice loses out” (Vanhoozer 2004: 403). It
is not certain that God could have done this without the cross.

• A free pardon might make sin look cheap. And it might make God’s love less obvious. The way of
the cross means it cost him dearly. Since God chose it, I think we can assume it was the best way
possible.

Maybe we need PS, so we can accept his shocking generosity. How would we know that the offered
pardon is genuine? When God pre-emptively payed the penalty for our sin, he sent a strong sign
that he is serious.

• Maybe we (or at least some of us) need it for a different reason as well. If God simply forgave us
without further ado, would we be able to believe that guilt had been removed? Would we be able
to overcome our sense of shame in his presence?

• Any sensible pardon assumes repentance; it is not a general pardon without any strings attached.
Such a free-for-all is likely to leave everything unchanged – or make things worse.

Maybe even
Satan would avail himself of that kind of a pardon?
However, if repentance and life change are a condition, who will succeed? Israel’s repentance in
the OT never lasted long; why would we fare any better? Simple forgiveness alone would not have
solved this. Admittedly, PS is not a full solution either. An important piece is still missing.
10. It does not make sense to both punish and forgive. If sin can be forgiven, there is no need to
punish; if sin is punished, there is no need for forgiveness. Or is there? Some things to consider:

• It may be that substitutionary punishment is the very means or mechanism of forgiveness: God
forgives through (by means of) PS. Perhaps Colossians 2:13f points in this direction: God has

“forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt … nailing it to the cross”. It certainly
sounds like a similar apparent contradiction.

• In our modern system of justice, punishment and forgiveness are unrelated. Victims of a crime may
forgive the perpetrator; the judge will still condemn and punish that person. Even though things
were different in biblical times, this fact proves the claim above is not a universal truth.

• Punishment does not take care of all the consequences of a crime. The criminal who is released
after having served his term is not in every sense of the word restored – far from it! Forgiveness
may be understood as personal and relational; if so, it goes beyond the status of ‘punishment
completed’, dues paid.

• However, Craig (2020: 242-64, chapter 12) makes a strong case that divine forgiveness should be
understood as a formal pardon, not as a parallel to personal, individual forgiveness, which is a
private affair. God offers us a full pardon. But God is perfectly just. Can a pardon be just?

Since God is both the judge and the ruler with the power of pardon, he faces the dilemma of the
righteous judge: how to be both just and merciful. PS is the solution. What forgiveness means,
then, is that God does not let go of exacting punishment, but lets go of exacting punishment from
us. Forgiveness and punishment are therefore not contradictory in this case.

J.

12. It is not possible to transfer sin or guilt. Financial debt can be paid by someone else, but this is not
possible for judicial punishment. Another person cannot go to prison for me.
However, just because “doing time” or otherwise taking upon oneself guilt or legal punishment for
someone else is not an option in our criminal justice system does not mean it is fundamentally
impossible. And even in our system, someone else may pay a fine for me. A fine is meant as a
punishment; yet, the punishment is not upon me. This is a form of PS.
What is transferred in such cases is not necessarily sin or guilt; it could also be the liability for
punishment or, as Crisp (2020: 97) puts it, the “penal consequences” of sin.
In other words, God “inflicted upon Christ the suffering which we deserved as the punishment for our
sins, as a result of which we no longer deserve punishment. Notice that this explication leaves open
the question whether Christ was punished for our sins” (Craig 2020: 168). The latter is widely denied
by proponents of PS:
On such an understanding, God afflicted Christ with the suffering which, had it been inflicted
upon us, would have been our just desert and, hence, punishment. In other words, Christ was
not punished, but he endured the suffering which would have been our punishment had it
been inflicted on us. (Ibid.: 169)
Fact is, the NT does speak of Christ dying or giving himself for our sin(s) (1 Cor. 15:3; John 1:29; Gal.
1:4; Heb. 5:1, 3; 9:28; 1 Pet. 2:24; 3:18). PS offers the most straightforward explanation for what this
means.
13. PS is unjust. It cannot be right to punish someone who is innocent.
In most cases, this is of course true. But if the substitute genuinely, freely, volunteers? The condition
is virtually impossible to guarantee in normal human affairs – a good reason not to allow such a praxis
in our justice system. But why would it always be wrong? The question is rarely asked, let alone
answered. As Craig (2020: 197f) points out,
The objection, then, is the familiar Socinian objection that it would be unjust of God to punish
Christ, an innocent person, in our place. Detractors of penal substitution who press this
objection almost never develop it in any depth … There is nothing here to interact with apart
from the single question: How is justice served by punishing a completely innocent person?
We need to go deeper.
In the pages that follow, Craig (ibid.: 198ff) refutes the objection. Of course, for those proponents of
PS who believe Christ was not punished (but only suffered in our stead; see the previous point), the
objection makes no sense. But even those who believe Christ was punished for our sins are not refuted
by the ‘injustice’ argument. If we accept that our sins were imputed to Christ, he would not be
innocent: he would be legally liable for those sins. The objection would not hold. But this leads to
another objection.
14. Imputation is a legal fiction. The objection follows from the previous point. My sin is imputed to
Christ; he is now legally liable to punishment. God pretends and counts Christ’s suffering as my
punishment (and, in Reformed theology, his righteousness as my righteousness). But everyone can see
that this is, in reality, untrue.
Let’s assume for a moment that we are indeed dealing with legal fiction. Why would this be bad?
Whenever the objection is raised, it comes with a negative, even derogatory connotation. But is this
justified?
In judicial matters, legal fiction is a most useful tool. Companies, associations, and other human
institutions can be counted as “legal persons”. No one believes IBM or the national branch of the Red
Cross is a real person. The fiction enables legal ownership and contractual obligations; it is most useful.
Adoption is a legal fiction as well (of parenthood). Come to think of it: What do you think your
nationality is? It is a fiction, not a real thing; you can even change it. But its consequences are real. And
that is the crucial point: the consequences and results of something based on a legal fiction are
concrete and real, and not at all fictional.
Craig’s defence of legal fiction (2018b; 2020: chapter 10, 197ff) is well worth reading. Theologians who
are up in arms against the use of legal fiction in explanations of the atonement show all the signs of
not knowing what they are talking about. Merely claiming that the atonement (or PS) is a legal fiction
does not disprove it.
Besides, our relation to Christ (and his relationship with humanity) is more than merely formal and
legal. He truly became one of us; his substitution and representation of us are not fictional. In the final
section on union and recapitulation, I will come back to this.
To summarize: It appears PS is a valid way to speak of the atonement, helpful to understand what it
involves – but it is incomplete. Legal systems and concepts of legal justice stop being helpful at some
point; PS is, after all, a model, not an exact parallel. PS needs to be embedded in other biblical images
and concepts (first and foremost that of sacrifice), so I continue my quest: are there more facets that
need to be considered?

3: Back to the Church Fathers
Does Christus Victor trump penal substitution? In two previous issues, I began to present images,
models, and explanations of the atonement. I have two more models to discuss (first and foremost
Christus Victor). I will finish with an ancient but powerful alternative take on the whole question.
Christus Victor
Through his death on the cross, Jesus defeated the powers and gained a decisive victory over them,
thus redeeming us from bondage and captivity. The cross is the victory over evil. This, in short, is the
Christus Victor view.
You may wonder why this view appears here and not much earlier in this presentation. Isn’t this the
view that “dominated the thinking of the church for the first thousand years of its history” (Aulén 1931:
6; Boyd 2006: 24)? Well, no. The phrase was probably coined by Gustav Aulén; it certainly did not gain
prominence until he published a book on the atonement with this title in 1931.
Aulén argued that there are three main types of explanations for the atonement, one of which is the
view of the church fathers, according to Aulén, which he also called the classic view. It was dominant
in the church until Anselm formulated his satisfaction view. Aulén considers Anselm and the Reformers
as representatives of a so-called Latin view because of its prevalence in the Western church (Roman
Catholic and Protestant). The third view sees the atonement as moral influence or example.
How influential Aulén’s study has been shows in the fact that almost every book on the atonement
refers to it. However, there are serious problems:
1. Category confusion. It causes confusion by throwing items together, into the same box (“the
powers”), that belong to fundamentally different categories. Christ did indeed deliver us from the
power of sin, from death, from the spiritual powers of evil, from human powers perhaps as well, and
even from the Torah (Rom. 7). But these are quite different things.
In addition, the Christus Victor label combines under the same heading views of the atonement that
differ greatly from each other. For this reason, I treated the ransom model separately; it is not at all
the same as modern Christus Victor views (so also Crisp 2020: 6). What do we mean when we say
things like: the cross is the victory over evil? How? Which forms or aspects of evil? The answers vary.
Some views that parade as Christus Victor are not explanations of the atonement at all (Crisp 2020:
51-6 comes to the same conclusion). The Nonviolent Atonement of Denny Weaver (2011), for instance,
despite its title, reads more like a strategy by which God aims to transform human society, namely
through the nonviolent path that Jesus took. That is a deliverance of sorts, but it does not qualify as
atonement.
One would expect a model of the atonement to say something about solving the problem of sin and
guilt and about forgiveness of sins, but this does not always happen in Christus Victor.
Christus Victor views (plural), then, are “exceptionally diverse, ranging from revitalisations of
traditional positions to demythologised accounts” (Johnson 2017: 16). I am not sure it is a useful
category, at least not without specifying what is meant by each representative.
2. Misrepresenting the church fathers. Aulén misconstrues what the church fathers taught. First, they
rarely reflect consciously on the meaning and workings of the atonement. They did not develop a
‘theory’ of the atonement. Aulén systematizes what they did not systematize. (He admits this, but only
in the final section of his book, page 158.) Second, the church fathers have a broad view of the
atonement; their statements include various themes, images, and ideas. There certainly is a strong
theme (not theory) of victory over Satan, but it is not the only theme. They cannot be made to fit any
single model or theory of the atonement (cf. Crisp 2020: 45):
The remarks of the Fathers on the atonement tend to reflect the multiplicity and diversity of
the NT motifs concerning the atonement that the Fathers had inherited from the biblical
authors. Hence, it would be inappropriate to ascribe to the Church Fathers any unified or
developed theory of the atonement. All the NT motifs concerning atonement – sacrifice,
substitutionary punishment, ransom, satisfaction, and so on – may be found in their pages.
(Craig 2020: 107)
The notion that the Fathers were singularly committed to a Christus Victor theory of the
atonement is a popular misimpression generated by the secondary literature. (Ibid.: 123)
3. Exclusive models. Aulén did the church a disservice by leaving us with the impression that the three
models are exclusive and incompatible: either/or alternatives. But does anyone deny that Christ
conquered? More to the point, does anyone who holds penal substitution deny this (see the quotation
from Calvin)?
In short, since neither as God alone could he feel death, nor as man alone overcome it, he
coupled human nature with divine that to atone for sin he might submit the weakness of the
one to death; and that, wrestling with death by the power of the other nature, he might win
victory for us … clothed with our flesh he vanquished death and sin together that the victory
and triumph might be ours. (Calvin 1960: 466; Institutes II.xii.3)
Compare Aulén’s work with Rowan Williams (2017). The latter explains the meaning of the cross with
three images, each of which corresponds with one of Aulén’s types. The cross is a sign (example), it is
a sacrifice (satisfaction), and it is victory. The difference is that for Williams, all three are true at the
same time.
4. No explanation offered. The key question is: how did Christ gain his victory? It is clear how he
conquered death: by resurrection. But the powers? The ransom theory has an answer. So does penal
substitution: because sin and guilt have been dealt with, the devil has no grounds left to accuse us.
God disarmed the powers by forgiving us our trespasses by cancelling the record of debt by nailing it
to the cross (Col. 2:13-15; see also Rev. 12:10f). There is therefore now no condemnation for those
who are in Christ Jesus. Right or wrong, it is at least an answer to the question: how?
Kolb (2017: 620) calls Christ’s victory “the second half of his atoning work”. It naturally flows from
dealing with sin and condemnation; in fact, victory is the result of atonement in the narrow sense of
the word, not part of the atonement itself.
How did Christ defeat the powers? What is the answer of Christus Victor? Apart from the ransom
theory, I am not sure there is one. Gregory Boyd, who represents Christus Victor in The Nature of the
Atonement: Four Views, admits as much (2006: 37, footnote 23).
In his defence of Christus Victor, Boyd gets it precisely upside down: because God defeated Satan and
set us free from his power (how he did this remains unexplained) we can receive forgiveness of sin, so
Boyd (2006: 32-4). “Salvation is most fundamentally … about being ‘set free from the present evil age’
(Gal 1:4)” (ibid.: 32).
But notice the order in Galatians 1:4: Jesus “gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present
evil age”. We are set free by dealing with sin, not defeating Satan. It is the same in Revelation 12:11.
Satan is conquered “by the blood of the Lamb”; the latter represents “redemption through his blood,
the forgiveness of our trespasses” (Eph. 1:7). Forgiveness (through atonement) leads to victory, not
victory to forgiveness.

As William Lane Craig (2020: 124) puts it: “Taken alone, Christus Victor not only ignores important NT
atonement motifs, but it also fails of explanatory sufficiency, for it offers nothing to explain how God’s
vanquishing Satan achieves forgiveness of sin and reconciliation with God.”
I cannot help but think that Aulén’s work – and with it, Christus Victor – became so influential because
he reduced the complexities of atonement theories to three options. The oversimplification proved
irresistible. However, Aulén’s Christus Victor model is not what the church fathers taught; most of
them had a broad but relatively unreflected and unsystematized understanding. The claim that this
view dominated for a thousand years is not true. Christus Victor is more an appealing catchword than
a well-defined model of the atonement.
Hugo Grotius and Moral Government
Because of its influence in some circles, I do not want to leave out
the moral government model (MG), but I have to confess its logic and
coherence somewhat escape me – which may indicate that I
misunderstand it.
My section title includes Hugo Grotius (1583-1645), a legal and
theological scholar from the Dutch Golden Age, only because MG
often claims him as their founder. But Grotius has usually been
misread and misunderstood. William Lane Craig (2020: 158-63) sets
the record straight. Grotius defended a variant of penal substitution,
in which God had some freedom to manoeuvre in judgment. Timing,
the exact nature of the punishment, and even the person to be
punished were flexible. God could even, in principle, have chosen to
forgive sin without punishment (ibid.: 158; but see Van den Brink 2017: 523-6 for the opposite position
on Grotius: in his public role, God could not do this). But as ruler and judge of the universe, as its
governor (therefore governmental view or MG), so Grotius, God saw good reason not to do so. Instead,
he chose to resolve the human predicament by having his Son, who willingly agreed to do so, bear
punishment in our stead. And, therefore, punishment it was, not a mere demonstration of sin’s horrid
nature and consequences.
This is precisely where MG differs from Grotius. In MG, Christ’s death on the cross is not our
punishment but is a demonstration of the kind of punishment sin deserves and that would have been
ours, had God punished us. It is a demonstration to warn of sin’s consequences, “for the sake of the
moral governance of the world” (Craig 2020: 158):
In this view, in contrast to Calvin, Christ does not specifically bear the penalty for humanity’s
sins; nor does he pay for individual sins. Instead, his suffering demonstrates God’s displeasure
with sin and what sin deserves at the hands of a just Governor of the universe, enabling God
to extend forgiveness while maintaining divine order. (‘Satisfaction Theory of Atonement’,
2020)
But if so, is this not a variation on the moral influence model? Instead of through a demonstration of
love God seeks to persuade us to repent through a demonstration of the horrible nature and deserts
of sin. Besides, how does MG enable us to live the holy lifestyle now expected of us? Are we to become
good through sheer fear of the “or else!” that is threatened in the demonstration?
Again, the problem may be that I am not getting MG, but I find this model puzzling and unnecessary.
Union with Christ and Recapitulation
In search for an end to my long discourse, I turn back to where I began, that is, to the church fathers.
They may not have bequeathed to us fully formulated models of the atonement, but they did say
crucial things that are too often overlooked. Especially in what they say about union with Christ, we
find the missing key to pull different atonement threads together.
As I found out, others have made similar moves, either toward the church fathers or at least toward
the idea of union, not merely as a fruit or outcome of salvation, but as foundational to its mechanism,
essential to understanding how salvation and the atonement were accomplished:
The only meaningful sense in which the crucifixion of Christ in history can also be in truth the
crucifixion of the evil flesh of his people is if our union with Christ lies at the heart of the
atonement as God’s action … Theologians from across the vast scope of the Christian tradition
have continued to insist in recent years that union with Christ is not a topic limited to salvation
or the application of redemption, but is key to understanding its accomplishment as well. As
the twentieth-century theologian John Murray once put it, “Union with Christ is really the
central truth of the whole doctrine of salvation not only in its application but also in its oncefor-all accomplishment in the finished work of Christ” (161 [sic]). (Garcia 2017: 782f, quoting
Murray 2015: 171, not 161, a book first published in 1955; for an additional example, see Crisp
2020: chapter 10)
In the work quoted by Garcia, Murray goes on to say:
It is also because the people of God were in Christ when he gave his life a ransom and
redeemed by his blood that salvation has been secured for them; they are represented as
united to Christ in his death, resurrection, and exaltation to heaven …
In other words, we may never think of redemption in abstraction from the mysterious
arrangements of God’s love and wisdom and grace by which Christ was united to his people
and his people were united to him when he died upon the accursed tree and rose again from
the dead. (Murray 2015: 172f)
So others travelled a similar path, but the church fathers went there first. The relevant ideas find their
clearest expression in Irenaeus of Lyon (c. 130-c. 202) and Athanasius (c. 297-373). Although the title
of Athanasius’s best-known work centres on the incarnation, it is just as much about the atonement.
The central thought and the connection between incarnation and atonement is this: Christ became
what we are, so that we could become what he is. “For He became Man that we might be made God”
(Athanasius 1903: 142; Incarnation LIV). The Son became human so that he could die – on our behalf.
The incarnation enabled him to become our legal representative and substitute – if we will have him
as such:
In virtue of Christ’s incarnation (and, I should say, his baptism, whereby Jesus identified himself
with fallen humanity), Christ is appointed by God to serve as our proxy before Him. The Logos,
the second person of the Trinity, has voluntarily consented to be appointed, by means of his
incarnation and baptism, to serve as our proxy before God so that by his death he might satisfy
the demands of divine justice on our behalf.
Herein we see the organic connection between Christ’s incarnation, death, and resurrection.
(Craig 2020: 228f)
Because he was divine, because he was life itself, his death could not last. He was the only human who
could expect to enter death and come out alive, carrying us, as members of his body, with him. Having
united himself with the human race, and having united the human race with himself, his resurrection
made our resurrection possible.
Athanasius puts the emphasis on a different consequence of sin than guilt: the corruption of our nature
and our resulting bondage to sin. He conceived of human nature as something with a real existence; it
could be taken up by Christ into himself to heal and renew it. This won’t quite work for us, because we
do not understand human nature as something with its own, independent existence, and therefore it
cannot be healed as such.
Still, with modifications, Athanasius greatly illumines what Christ’s death and resurrection
accomplished:
And there happened marvellously two things at once: the death of all was fulfilled in the Lord’s
body, and both death and corruption through the presence of the Word were utterly
abolished. (Athanasius 1903: 80; Incarnation XX)
Through Christ’s death and resurrection, God dealt with these aspects simultaneously. Sin was atoned
for, we were removed from under the power and rule of sin, and our nature was healed from its
corruption and renewed into his likeness.
(On a side note: obviously, then, the church fathers cannot be claimed to have almost universally held
to some Christus Victor model of the atonement. Indeed, even Gregory of Nyssa (c. 335-c. 395), who
is often presented as a prime example of a ransom model in which Satan was tricked, took the bait,
and swallowed the hook, has a far more sophisticated understanding. The bait-and-hook illustration
was used in a sermon; but as McGuckin (2017) argues, such ideas are not central to his view. He is
close to Athanasius: the Word became human and so “recreates humanity and restores it to the
original plan” (McGuckin 2017: 172). The incarnation leads to a salvation that transforms human
nature and makes a different mode of life available.)

Back to the Bible.

Gods wrath and punishment falls on the unrepentant and rebellious sinners and never on the holy, godly , righteous ones. That includes all believers and of course the Holy, Sinless One - Jesus. PSA in a man made doctrine not a biblical one.

hope this helps !!!

As William Lane Craig (2020: 124) puts it: “Taken alone, Christus Victor not only ignores important NT
atonement motifs, but it also fails of explanatory sufficiency, for it offers nothing to explain how God’s
vanquishing Satan achieves forgiveness of sin and reconciliation with God.”
I cannot help but think that Aulén’s work – and with it, Christus Victor – became so influential because
he reduced the complexities of atonement theories to three options. The oversimplification proved
irresistible. However, Aulén’s Christus Victor model is not what the church fathers taught; most of
them had a broad but relatively unreflected and unsystematized understanding. The claim that this
view dominated for a thousand years is not true. Christus Victor is more an appealing catchword than
a well-defined model of the atonement.
Hugo Grotius and Moral Government
Because of its influence in some circles, I do not want to leave out
the moral government model (MG), but I have to confess its logic and
coherence somewhat escape me – which may indicate that I
misunderstand it.
My section title includes Hugo Grotius (1583-1645), a legal and
theological scholar from the Dutch Golden Age, only because MG
often claims him as their founder. But Grotius has usually been
misread and misunderstood. William Lane Craig (2020: 158-63) sets
the record straight. Grotius defended a variant of penal substitution,
in which God had some freedom to manoeuvre in judgment. Timing,
the exact nature of the punishment, and even the person to be
punished were flexible. God could even, in principle, have chosen to
forgive sin without punishment (ibid.: 158; but see Van den Brink 2017: 523-6 for the opposite position
on Grotius: in his public role, God could not do this). But as ruler and judge of the universe, as its
governor (therefore governmental view or MG), so Grotius, God saw good reason not to do so. Instead,
he chose to resolve the human predicament by having his Son, who willingly agreed to do so, bear
punishment in our stead. And, therefore, punishment it was, not a mere demonstration of sin’s horrid
nature and consequences.
This is precisely where MG differs from Grotius. In MG, Christ’s death on the cross is not our
punishment but is a demonstration of the kind of punishment sin deserves and that would have been
ours, had God punished us. It is a demonstration to warn of sin’s consequences, “for the sake of the
moral governance of the world” (Craig 2020: 158):
In this view, in contrast to Calvin, Christ does not specifically bear the penalty for humanity’s
sins; nor does he pay for individual sins. Instead, his suffering demonstrates God’s displeasure
with sin and what sin deserves at the hands of a just Governor of the universe, enabling God
to extend forgiveness while maintaining divine order. (‘Satisfaction Theory of Atonement’,
2020)
But if so, is this not a variation on the moral influence model? Instead of through a demonstration of
love God seeks to persuade us to repent through a demonstration of the horrible nature and deserts
of sin. Besides, how does MG enable us to live the holy lifestyle now expected of us? Are we to become
good through sheer fear of the “or else!” that is threatened in the demonstration?
Again, the problem may be that I am not getting MG, but I find this model puzzling and unnecessary.
Union with Christ and Recapitulation
In search for an end to my long discourse, I turn back to where I began, that is, to the church fathers.
They may not have bequeathed to us fully formulated models of the atonement, but they did say
crucial things that are too often overlooked. Especially in what they say about union with Christ, we
find the missing key to pull different atonement threads together.
As I found out, others have made similar moves, either toward the church fathers or at least toward
the idea of union, not merely as a fruit or outcome of salvation, but as foundational to its mechanism,
essential to understanding how salvation and the atonement were accomplished:
The only meaningful sense in which the crucifixion of Christ in history can also be in truth the
crucifixion of the evil flesh of his people is if our union with Christ lies at the heart of the
atonement as God’s action … Theologians from across the vast scope of the Christian tradition
have continued to insist in recent years that union with Christ is not a topic limited to salvation
or the application of redemption, but is key to understanding its accomplishment as well. As
the twentieth-century theologian John Murray once put it, “Union with Christ is really the
central truth of the whole doctrine of salvation not only in its application but also in its oncefor-all accomplishment in the finished work of Christ” (161 [sic]). (Garcia 2017: 782f, quoting
Murray 2015: 171, not 161, a book first published in 1955; for an additional example, see Crisp
2020: chapter 10)
In the work quoted by Garcia, Murray goes on to say:
It is also because the people of God were in Christ when he gave his life a ransom and
redeemed by his blood that salvation has been secured for them; they are represented as
united to Christ in his death, resurrection, and exaltation to heaven …
In other words, we may never think of redemption in abstraction from the mysterious
arrangements of God’s love and wisdom and grace by which Christ was united to his people
and his people were united to him when he died upon the accursed tree and rose again from
the dead. (Murray 2015: 172f)
So others travelled a similar path, but the church fathers went there first. The relevant ideas find their
clearest expression in Irenaeus of Lyon (c. 130-c. 202) and Athanasius (c. 297-373). Although the title
of Athanasius’s best-known work centres on the incarnation, it is just as much about the atonement.
The central thought and the connection between incarnation and atonement is this: Christ became
what we are, so that we could become what he is. “For He became Man that we might be made God”
(Athanasius 1903: 142; Incarnation LIV). The Son became human so that he could die – on our behalf.
The incarnation enabled him to become our legal representative and substitute – if we will have him
as such:
In virtue of Christ’s incarnation (and, I should say, his baptism, whereby Jesus identified himself
with fallen humanity), Christ is appointed by God to serve as our proxy before Him. The Logos,
the second person of the Trinity, has voluntarily consented to be appointed, by means of his
incarnation and baptism, to serve as our proxy before God so that by his death he might satisfy
the demands of divine justice on our behalf.
Herein we see the organic connection between Christ’s incarnation, death, and resurrection.
(Craig 2020: 228f)
Because he was divine, because he was life itself, his death could not last. He was the only human who
could expect to enter death and come out alive, carrying us, as members of his body, with him. Having
united himself with the human race, and having united the human race with himself, his resurrection
made our resurrection possible.
Athanasius puts the emphasis on a different consequence of sin than guilt: the corruption of our nature
and our resulting bondage to sin. He conceived of human nature as something with a real existence; it
could be taken up by Christ into himself to heal and renew it. This won’t quite work for us, because we
do not understand human nature as something with its own, independent existence, and therefore it
cannot be healed as such.
Still, with modifications, Athanasius greatly illumines what Christ’s death and resurrection
accomplished:
And there happened marvellously two things at once: the death of all was fulfilled in the Lord’s
body, and both death and corruption through the presence of the Word were utterly
abolished. (Athanasius 1903: 80; Incarnation XX)
Through Christ’s death and resurrection, God dealt with these aspects simultaneously. Sin was atoned
for, we were removed from under the power and rule of sin, and our nature was healed from its
corruption and renewed into his likeness.
(On a side note: obviously, then, the church fathers cannot be claimed to have almost universally held
to some Christus Victor model of the atonement. Indeed, even Gregory of Nyssa (c. 335-c. 395), who
is often presented as a prime example of a ransom model in which Satan was tricked, took the bait,
and swallowed the hook, has a far more sophisticated understanding. The bait-and-hook illustration
was used in a sermon; but as McGuckin (2017) argues, such ideas are not central to his view. He is
close to Athanasius: the Word became human and so “recreates humanity and restores it to the
original plan” (McGuckin 2017: 172). The incarnation leads to a salvation that transforms human
nature and makes a different mode of life available.)
May the reader be edified as we approach this subject with reverence and awe-and come to a deeper knowledge and insight in the Person of our Lord Christ Jesus-a deeper appreciated what Jesus suffered on the Cross.
Shalom.
J.

Yes I held to PSA for 40 years. Now I reject it as you read in my paper for the reasons stated. I believe in ransom, Passover , expiation, forgiveness, victor and some of the scapegoat mentioned in the video .
Can you elaborate on these points? Sounds interesting.

But reject the penal aspect and God needing satisfaction and to be appeased. God atoned for man.
Seems to me that the penal aspect is the most basic aspect of atonement. From https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atonement

atonement

noun

atone·ment ə-ˈtōn-mənt

Synonyms of atonement
: reparation for an offense or injury : SATISFACTION
a story of sin and atonement

He wanted to find a way to make atonement for his sins.

: the reconciliation of God and humankind through the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ

Christian Science : the exemplifying of human oneness with God

obsolete :
RECONCILIATION

Reparation means

reparation

noun

rep·a·ra·tion ˌre-pə-ˈrā-shən

Synonyms of reparation
a
: a repairing or keeping in repair
b
reparations plural : REPAIRS

a
: the act of making amends, offering expiation, or giving satisfaction for a wrong or injury
b
: something done or given as amends or satisfaction

: the payment of damages : INDEMNIFICATION
specifically : compensation in money or materials payable by a defeated nation for damages to or expenditures sustained by another nation as a result of hostilities with the defeated nation

—usually used in plural

So, in atonement, we are talking about payment for damages. I've come to recognize getting a settlement for the actual damages is insufficient precisely beause seeking compensation adds "insult to injury," i.e., compounds the damages.

For instance, an accident at your house causes damage to my house. Let's say the damage is $10K.

Now, I have to hire a lawyer, which costs me $2K. Then there is the time factor, the loss of the full value of my house while the process plays out. Perhaps this is another $2K.

So, to get satisfaction for the $10K in damage, I would need at least $14K. Intangibles, like emotional pain and suffering could add to that.

Now, I now we are talking about spiritual atonement rather than financial/legal atonement. However, we have a system where we differentiate satisfaction based on intent, such as negligence from gross negligence, manslaugher to murder. Where there is a penal aspect and not mere compensation. We recognize such difference between:
  • your neighbor driving home from work in a horrible storm, comes across a motorist stranded on the side of the road, not seeing her and hitting and killing her.
  • Premeditated murder.
We recognize such difference between:
  • selling a product you had every reason to believe was effective
  • selling a product you knew was defective and took steps to conceal that fact to unsuspecting customers.

God atoning for it really has nothing to do with the magnitude of what is being atoned for.

Back to the Bible.

Gods wrath and punishment falls on the unrepentant and rebellious sinners and never on the holy, godly , righteous ones. That includes all believers and of course the Holy, Sinless One - Jesus. PSA in a man made doctrine not a biblical one.

hope this helps !!!
In full agreement-propitiation and satisfaction-expiation is indissolubly one.
1. Moral Influence
2. Christos Victor
3.Ransom-from Christos Victor-which theory do you hold?

It would seem you don't understand what I am conveying here-in a philosophical-historical and biblical sense brother.

Shalom
J.

In full agreement-propitiation and satisfaction-expiation is indissolubly one.
1. Moral Influence
2. Christos Victor
3.Ransom-from Christos Victor-which theory do you hold?

It would seem you don't understand what I am conveying here-in a philosophical-historical and biblical sense brother.

Shalom
J.
It’s simple . I reject and penal or judicial aspect regarding the atonement.

Back
Top Bottom