Ephesians 1 the most abused passage by Calvinists

civic

Paul makes the distinction with 2 groups below and contrasts them.

The Jews who were Apostles ( we, us , our )who first believed and were the ones predestined / chosen and with the gentiles ( you ) who believed after, later in verses 13 and beyond. They gentiles did not have the wisdom , knowledge and the mysteries were revealed to the Apostles not the gentiles. Paul is teaching them those mysteries in this letter and educating them. This passage refutes Calvinism it does not support it whatsoever. Only if one uses eisegesis can verses 1-12 be applied to a Calvinist. Exegetically it applies to the Apostles who were given the knowledge, wisdom, the mysteries revealed to them by ejection / predestination not the gentiles in Ephesus.

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God,

To God’s holy people in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus:

2 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Praise for Spiritual Blessings in Christ​

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace 8 that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, 9 he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, 10 to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.

11 In him we were also chosen,having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, 12 in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.

( Now Paul goes from we the apostles to them the gentile Ephesians. The apostles were the first to believe with wisdom from God and not prays for them to have the same wisdom they have)

13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Thanksgiving and Prayer​

15 For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God’s people, 16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. 17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength20 he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, 21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. 22 And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church,23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.

conclusion: the predestined group ( Jewish Apostles ) were the first to believe and were given all wisdom, understanding knowing the mystery of His will. The gentiles ( you, them ) were not the first to believe until way later after Paul was sent to them after Acts 13. Thet were prayed for by Paul as a group to be blesses with wisdom, knowledge, enlightenment so they may know ( they did not know at that time) and did not know the mysteries like the group in 1:3-12. Paul is making the distinction between the Apostles and who he is wrting to like he does in most of his other letters in the introduction of this letter.

Last edited:
Yeah. It all rides on "the counsel of his will."

They assume God cannot will to allow free will.
Do you see Paul contrasting them as chosen/ predestined to know the mysteries of his will with all wisdom who were the first to believe with the Ephesians?

See the OP where it’s explained Paul is contrasting us, we, our ( apostles) who first believed and were the ones predestined with the Ephesians who later believed through the apostles.

Uh... no, I don't see Paul making that distinction, he seems to make an effort to group all believers under the same umbrella, here.

There is a change from "us" to "you" in verse 13 but I agree with dizerner that Paul groups all believers under the same chosen "in Christ" umbrella.
Ok great now please show me where specifically you see that in the passage . Thanks

It's a similar argument like saying "to the Ephesians" on the letter means it ONLY applies to the Christians in Ephesus.

Just an over-literalism of sorts.

Eph 2:12-13 shows believing Gentiles being incorporated "in Christ", bringing them under the same umbrella as the Apostles.
Yes after they believed. It doesn’t say they were predestined. The group in 1-12 were the predestined group not the Ephesians from 13 and forward.

I would need to see where Paul specifically says "we were saved in a different way than you."

Nobody naturally reads this dichotomy you are making.

"In Him you also" (Eph. 1:13 NKJ)

The "you also" applies everything to them that was just previously said.

Yes after they believed. It doesn’t say they were predestined. The group in 1-12 were the predestined group not the Ephesians from 13 and forward.
I think we're saying the same thing. It's only when you believe "in Christ" are you predestined. That's goes for everyone, Apostles, believing Gentiles, etc...So all believers are under the same predestination umbrella.

I think we're saying the same thing. It's only when you believe "in Christ" are you predestined. That's goes for everyone, Apostles, believing Gentiles, etc...So all believers are under the same predestination umbrella.
Would you agree that 4-9 is specific to the us group as apostles and not everyone and that Paul makes a distinction with us ( 3-12) and them 13 and on ?

Meaning the Calvinist must fall under verses 13 forward and cannot apply themselves within the group in 3-12.

As a Calvinist all those years I read the passage wrong as if I was in the we, us, our group in 3-12 but that is incorrect according to the text and Paul’s many distinctions being made in the chapter

Would you agree that 4-9 is specific to the us group as apostles and not everyone and that Paul makes a distinction with us ( 3-12) and them 13 and on ?
No. Verse 1 makes it clear who is Paul's audience for his entire Epistle. He is addressing the "Saints who are in Ephesus", the congregation of believers from all walks of life.
Meaning the Calvinist must fall under verses 13 forward and cannot apply themselves within the group in 3-12.
If you make a split at verse 13 then are you saying that only the "you" people were "sealed with the Holy Spirit"?
As a Calvinist all those years I read the passage wrong as if I was in the we, us, our group in 3-12 but that is incorrect according to the text and Paul’s many distinctions being made in the chapter
All believers are being referred to throughout the entire Epistle.

I still agree with the title of your thread. Calvinists have totally misunderstood and utterly destroyed the real meaning of Eph 1:4.

Ok great now please show me where specifically you see that in the passage . Thanks
"He chose us"

This is an AORIST MIDDLE INDICATIVE which emphasized the subject's decisive choice.

This focused on the Father's choice before time. God's choice must not be understood in the Islamic sense of determinism nor in the ultra Calvinistic sense of "God chooses some versus God did not choose others," but in a covenantal sense.

God promised to redeem fallen mankind (cf. Gen. 3:15). God called and chose Abraham to choose all humans (cf. Gen. 12:3; Exod. 19:5-6). God calls all in Christ (cf. John 3:16; 4:42; 1 Tim. 2:4; Titus 2:11; 3:4; 2 Pet. 3:9; 1 John 2:2; 4:14). God Himself elected all persons. The believers' choice of trusting in Christ confirms, not determines, God's choice of them. God always takes the initiative in salvation (cf. John 6:44, 65). This text and Rom. 8:28-30; 9:1-33 are the main NT texts for the doctrine of predestination emphasized by Augustine and Calvin.

God chose believers not only to salvation (justification) but also to sanctification (cf. Col. 1:12)! This could relate to

our position in Christ (i.e., imputed righteousness, cf. 2 Cor. 5:21)
God's desire to reproduce His character in His children (cf. Eph. 2:10; Rom. 8:28-29; 2 Cor. 3:15; 7:1; Gal. 4:19; 1 Thess. 3:3; 4:3,7; 5:23; 1 Pet. 1:15)
God's will for His children is both heaven one day and Christlikeness now!

The PRONOUNS in this passage are ambiguous. Most refer to God the Father. This whole passage speaks of His love, purpose and plan to redeem fallen mankind. However, in context it is obvious that the PRONOUNS in Eph. 1:7, 9, 13 & 14 refer to Jesus.

SPECIAL TOPIC: YHWH'S ETERNAL REDEMPTIVE PLAN

SPECIAL TOPIC: HE CHOSE US

"in Him" This is a key concept. The Father's blessings, grace and salvation flow only through Christ (cf. John 10:7-18; 14:6). Notice the repetition of this grammatical form (LOCATIVE OF SPHERE) in Eph. 1:3, "in Christ"; Eph. 1:4, "in Him"; Eph. 1:7, "in Him"; Eph. 1:9, "in Him"; Eph. 1:10, "in Christ," "in Him"; Eph. 1:12, "in Christ" and Eph. 1:13, "in Him" (twice). These are parallel to "in the Beloved" of Eph. 1:6. Jesus is God's "yes" to fallen mankind (Karl Barth). Jesus is the elect man and all are potentially elect in Him (cf. John 3:16). All of God the Father's blessings flow through Christ.

"before the foundation of the world"

This phrase is also used in Matt. 25:34; John 17:24; 1 Pet. 1:19-20 and Rev. 13:8. It shows the Triune God's redemptive activity even before Gen. 1:1. Humans are limited by their sense of time; everything to us is past, present, or future, but not to God. History for Him is eternally present.

SPECIAL TOPIC: PAUL'S USE OF KOSMOS

"that we should be holy and blameless before Him"

The goal of predestination is holiness, not privilege. God's call is not to a selected few of Adam's children, but to all!

It is a call to be what God intended mankind to be, like Himself (i.e., Christlikeness, cf. Rom. 8:28-30; 2 Cor. 3:18; Gal. 4:19; Eph. 4:13; 1 Thess. 3:13; 4:3; 5:23; 1 Pet. 1:15); in His image (cf. Gen. 1:26-27). To turn predestination into a theological tenet instead of a holy life is a tragedy. Often our a priori systematic theologies speak louder than biblical texts!

The term "blameless" (amōmos) or "free from blemish" is used of

Jesus, (cf. Heb. 9:14; 1 Pet. 1:19)
Zacharias and Elizabeth, (cf. Luke 1:6)
Paul (cf. Phil 3:6)
all true Christians (cf. Phil. 2:15; 1 Thess. 3:13; 5:23)
God's unalterable will for every believer is not only heaven later, but Christlikeness now (cf. Rom. 8:29-30; 2 Cor. 3:18; Gal. 4:19; 1 Thess. 3:13; 4:3; 2 Thess. 2:13; Titus 2:14; 1 Pet. 1:15). Believers are to reflect God's characteristics to a lost world for the purpose of evangelism.

Did this answer your question @civic?
J.

"you"

This refers to believing Gentiles (cf. Eph. 2:12).

"after listening to the message of truth, the gospel. . .having also believed" These are both AORIST ACTIVE PARTICIPLES.
Salvation is both a message to believe and a person to trust. It involves both a mental acceptance of the truthfulness of the Bible (worldview) and a personal welcoming of Jesus! The gospel must be personally received (cf. Mark 1:15; John 1:12; 3:16,18,36; 6:40; 11:25-26; Rom. 10:9-13). The essence of the gospel can be summarized as

a person to welcome/receive (personal relationship)
truths about that person to believe (worldview from the Bible)
a life like that person to live (call to Christlikeness)
J.

RECIPIENTS

Many manuscripts (Chester Beatty Papyri, P46; Sinaiticus, א; Vaticanus, B; Origen's Greek text, and Tertullain's Greek text) omit "in Ephesus" in Eph. 1:1. The RSV, NJB, and Williams translations omit the phrase.

The Greek grammar of Eph. 1:1 can accommodate a place name. Possibly, as a circular letter, the place name of the church was left blank so it could be supplied when read aloud to the churches. This might explain the phrase in Col. 4:15-16, "letter from the Laodiceans," which was possibly the Book of Ephesians (Marcion called Ephesians by the title "letter to the Laodiceans").

Ephesians was written primarily to Gentiles, Eph. 2:1; 4:17, whom Paul had not personally met, Eph. 1:15; 3:2. The churches in the Lycus River Valley (Laodicea, Hierapolis, and Colossae) were started, not by Paul, but by Epaphras (Col. 1:7; 4:12; Philemon 23).

PURPOSE

The theme of the book is found in Eph. 1:10 and 4:1-10, which emphasizes the unity of all things in Christ. Christ restores the image of God (cf. Gen. 1:26-27) in humanity and in the world (kosmos).

The doctrinal section of chapters 1-3 can be outlined as:
 The Trinity's Gracious Character and Provisions for Sinful Mankind
God's Trinitarian nature (Eph. 1:3-14)
God's gracious character (Eph. 2:1-10)
God's eternal plan of redemption (Eph. 2:11-3:13)
None of these truths has anything to do with human knowledge or actions.

Ephesians is one of Paul's four prison letters. The outlines of Ephesians and Colossians are very similar. Colossians was written to combat the heresy of incipient Gnosticism in the Lycus River Valley of Asia Minor. Ephesians was written as a circular letter to the same area to prepare the other churches for the coming heresy. Colossians is a terse, hard-hitting letter, while Ephesians is an extended logical presentation of the same truths using very long sentences: (Eph. 1:3-14, 15-23; 2:1-9; 3:1-7, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom