Baptism "en" the Holy Ghost

TomL

First, let me note "en" is not a typo.

It is Greek for a word which is variously interpreted by, in, or with by various translations sometimes inconsistently

These words Baptize "En" and the Holy Spirit appear six times in the citations below

Matthew 3:11 (ESV) — 11 “I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Matthew 3:11 (NA27) — 11 ἐγὼ μὲν ὑμᾶς βαπτίζω ἐν ὕδατι εἰς μετάνοιαν, ὁ δὲ ὀπίσω μου ἐρχόμενος ἰσχυρότερός μού ἐστιν, οὗ οὐκ εἰμὶ ἱκανὸς τὰ ὑποδήματα βαστάσαι· αὐτὸς ὑμᾶς βαπτίσει ἐν πνεύματι ἁγίῳ καὶ πυρί·

Mark 1:8 (ESV) — 8 I have baptized you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

Luke 3:16 (ESV) — 16 John answered them all, saying, “I baptize you with water, but he who is mightier than I is coming, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

John 1:33 (ESV) — 33 I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’

Acts 1:5 (ESV) — 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

There is a seventh where the same words appear in the Greek text but in a slightly different order

1 Corinthians 12:13 (KJV 1900) — 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:13 (NA27 Int.) — 13 καὶ γὰρ ἐν ἑνὶ πνεύματι ἡμεῖς πάντες εἰς ἓν σῶμα ἐβαπτίσθημεν, εἴτε Ἰουδαῖοι εἴτε Ἕλληνες εἴτε δοῦλοι εἴτε ἐλεύθεροι, καὶ πάντες ἓν πνεῦμα ἐποτίσθημεν.

And it references the baptism with the Holy Spirit seen in the previous six verses

Christ is the baptizer

The Holy Spirit is the medium we are baptized with

It is not the Pentecostal second blessing evidenced by speaking in tongues

Rather it is the experience all receive coming into the body of Christ

It is the Spirit sealing you in Christ (his body) when you trust in him

Ephesians 1:13 (KJV 1900) — 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

It is Greek for a word which is variously interpreted by, in, or with by various translations sometimes inconsistently

These words Baptize "En" and the Holy Spirit appear six times in the citations below

Matthew 3:11 (ESV) — 11 “I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Matthew 3:11 (NA27) — 11 ἐγὼ μὲν ὑμᾶς βαπτίζω ἐν ὕδατι εἰς μετάνοιαν, ὁ δὲ ὀπίσω μου ἐρχόμενος ἰσχυρότερός μού ἐστιν, οὗ οὐκ εἰμὶ ἱκανὸς τὰ ὑποδήματα βαστάσαι· αὐτὸς ὑμᾶς βαπτίσει ἐν πνεύματι ἁγίῳ καὶ πυρί·

Mark 1:8 (ESV) — 8 I have baptized you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

Luke 3:16 (ESV) — 16 John answered them all, saying, “I baptize you with water, but he who is mightier than I is coming, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

John 1:33 (ESV) — 33 I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’

Acts 1:5 (ESV) — 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

There is a seventh where the same words appear in the Greek text but in a slightly different order

1 Corinthians 12:13 (KJV 1900) — 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:13 (NA27 Int.) — 13 καὶ γὰρ ἐν ἑνὶ πνεύματι ἡμεῖς πάντες εἰς ἓν σῶμα ἐβαπτίσθημεν, εἴτε Ἰουδαῖοι εἴτε Ἕλληνες εἴτε δοῦλοι εἴτε ἐλεύθεροι, καὶ πάντες ἓν πνεῦμα ἐποτίσθημεν.

And it references the baptism with the Holy Spirit seen in the previous six verses

Christ is the baptizer

Ephesians 1:13 (KJV 1900) — 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
I remember being baptized in the Holy Spirit in 1980 at Cathedral City California. I can't remember the name of the church but it was a Seventh Day Adventist Church. I only went there a few times because a friend of mine was a member actually he was the Usher that welcomed you at the front door. They had a different altar call to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit of speaking in tongues.

It wasn't really my cup of tea and I found a Vineyard Christian Fellowship in Desert Hot Springs that was a much better fit for me.

I remember being baptized in the Holy Spirit in 1980 at Cathedral City California. I can't remember the name of the church but it was a Seventh Day Adventist Church. I only went there a few times because a friend of mine was a member actually he was the Usher that welcomed you at the front door. They had a different altar call to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit of speaking in tongues.

It wasn't really my cup of tea and I found a Vineyard Christian Fellowship in Desert Hot Springs that was a much better fit for me.
Ok. As noted however I do not define the baptism en the Holy Ghost in that manner though I myself am a member of the largest Pentecostal denomination. I love Pentecostal worship

Christ is the baptizer

The actions of the Holy Spirit take place during water baptism. It is not a separate event (even though it was for them on Pentecost and for Cornelius). For all others who come to Christ, baptism in the Holy Spirit occurs during baptism in water.

The actions of the Holy Spirit take place during water baptism. It is not a separate event (even though it was for them on Pentecost and for Cornelius). For all others who come to Christ, baptism in the Holy Spirit occurs during baptism in water.

It took place with the Samaritans after they were water baptized.

Acts 8:12-17
12 But when they believed Philip preaching the good news concerning the kingdom of God and the Name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and was constantly amazed, beholding the signs and great miracles taking place.
14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit:
16 For as yet He was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus.
17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

To receive the Holy Spirit (10:47) is the same thing as being baptized with the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:16).

To have the Holy Spirit fall upon a person (Acts 10:44) is the same thing as being baptized with the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:16).

It took place with the Samaritans after they were water baptized.

Acts 8:12-17
12 But when they believed Philip preaching the good news concerning the kingdom of God and the Name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and was constantly amazed, beholding the signs and great miracles taking place.
14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit:
16 For as yet He was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus.
17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

To receive the Holy Spirit (10:47) is the same thing as being baptized with the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:16).

To have the Holy Spirit fall upon a person (Acts 10:44) is the same thing as being baptized with the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:16).
This is, I believe, an example of the difference between the indwelling of the Spirit and the miraculous gifts of the Spirit. These men received the indwelling when they were baptized, but only the Apostles could pass on the ability to work miracles through the Holy Spirit. Philip, not being an Apostle, could not give these men the ability to work miracles, but the Peter and John (who were Apostles) laid their hands on them, they received that ability. And this is what Simon the sorcerer wanted to purchase from the Apostles.

This is, I believe, an example of the difference between the indwelling of the Spirit and the miraculous gifts of the Spirit. These men received the indwelling when they were baptized,

No proof for this.

but only the Apostles could pass on the ability to work miracles through the Holy Spirit. Philip, not being an Apostle, could not give these men the ability to work miracles, but the Peter and John (who were Apostles) laid their hands on them, they received that ability.

The Bible says, "they received the Holy Spirit".
In fact, "the gift of God" in Acts 8:20 refers to the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38; Acts 11:17)

Last edited:
No proof for this.
Actually, there is. The Holy Spirit was promised to everyone who is baptized into Christ (Acts 2:38), but no one today has the ability to work miracles the way the Apostles did. This is because, as I explained above, the Apostles could pass on the ability to work miracles, but they did not pass on the ability to pass it on further, I believe. That means, that after the Apostles died, no one could pass on the ability to work miracles. And after the ones to whom they gave the ability to work miracles died, no more miracles could be done by man. This is not to say that the Holy Spirit does not still do miracles in the world today, but there is no man who has the Holy Spirit's miraculous power today, I believe.
The Bible says, "they received the Holy Spirit".
In fact, "the gift of God" in Acts 8:20 refers to the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit is not the only gift of God, but He is one of the gifts of God. And not all of the gifts that the Holy Spirit brings are the same. He may bring miraculous wonders, or He may only give insight and understanding of Scriptures (1 Cor 12:4-11). I believe that there is a difference between the miraculous works of the Spirit (which I believe is what is being referred to in most of the places where "received the Holy Spirit" is found in Scripture), and the indwelling which is the reference of Acts 2:38.

These received water baptism without the baptism en the Spirit

Acts 8:12–16 (KJV 1900) — 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done. 14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: 16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

The Holy Spirit is not the only gift of God, but He is one of the gifts of God.

The above is incorrect when it comes to the "gift" (dōrea) in Acts 8:20.

Acts 8:19-20
(19) Saying, Give me also this authority, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Spirit.
(20) But Peter said unto him, To hell with you and your money, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money!

Acts 10:47; 11:17
(47) Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?
(17) Forasmuch then as God gave them the same gift as He did unto us, who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ; who was I that I could withstand God?

1. Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament (EDNT): The usage of dōrea in the NT is concentrated on the gracious gift which has already been given by God, namely, Christ (John 4:10), the Spirit (Acts 2:38; 8:20; 10:45; 11:17) (1:364, dōrea, G. Schneider).
2. Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (TDNT): In Ac. the Spirit is called the dōrea of God in 2:38; 8:20; 10:45; 11:17 (2:167, dōrea, Buchsel).

Last edited:
The above is incorrect when it comes to the "gift" (dōrea) in Acts 8:20.

Acts 8:19-20
(19) Saying, Give me also this authority, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Spirit.
(20) But Peter said unto him, To hell with you and your money, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money!
Yes, the Holy Spirit is a gift from God, but He is not the ONLY gift from God. Life is a gift from God (Gen 1:26). Salvation is a gift from God (Eph 2:8-9). The Holy Spirit indwelling our hearts is a gift from God (Acts 2:38). Miraculous works are a gift from God (1 Cor 12:4).

These received water baptism without the baptism en the Spirit

Acts 8:12–16 (KJV 1900) — 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done. 14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: 16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
They received water baptism without receiving the ability to do miraculous works, but they did receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit just as everyone baptized into Christ today does.
There is a distinct difference between the Holy Spirit indwelling us and the Spirit filling us. The filling of the Holy Spirit was a tool used by God since the Old Testament. In Deuteronomy 34:9, Joshua is filled with the Holy Spirit to take on Moses' responsibilities. In 1 Samuel 19:18-24, King Saul and his servants are filled with the Spirit and prophesy. And in Luke 1:15, the angel explains to Zacharias that his son, John the Baptist, will be filled with the Spirit. After Jesus' death and resurrection the Holy Spirit continued to fill people, including Peter (Acts 4:8), Paul (Acts 13:9), and the other disciples (Acts 13:52). This is different from the simple indwelling of the Spirit experienced by all believers. The indwelling of the Spirit did not begin until after Jesus died, as John 7:39 indicates.

Red herring.

The gift of God in Acts 8:20 refers to the Holy Spirit.
That is not in dispute, and never was. But Simon already had the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, since he was baptized into Christ in Acts 8:13. He was already sealed with the indwelling of the Spirit, but he offered money to the Apostles to purchase the ability to give miraculous gifts to those he laid HIS hands on (Acts 8:18-19).

That is not in dispute, and never was. But Simon already had the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, since he was baptized into Christ in Acts 8:13.

None of them did because the Holy Spirit was not yet received until the apostles arrived.

he offered money to the Apostles to purchase the ability to give miraculous gifts to those he laid HIS hands on (Acts 8:18-19).

Wrong, because Peter equated what Simon had asked for with "the gift of God" = The Holy Spirit (yes, the Holy Spirit Himself)

They received water baptism without receiving the ability to do miraculous works, but they did receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit just as everyone baptized into Christ today does.
There is a distinct difference between the Holy Spirit indwelling us and the Spirit filling us. The filling of the Holy Spirit was a tool used by God since the Old Testament. In Deuteronomy 34:9, Joshua is filled with the Holy Spirit to take on Moses' responsibilities. In 1 Samuel 19:18-24, King Saul and his servants are filled with the Spirit and prophesy. And in Luke 1:15, the angel explains to Zacharias that his son, John the Baptist, will be filled with the Spirit. After Jesus' death and resurrection the Holy Spirit continued to fill people, including Peter (Acts 4:8), Paul (Acts 13:9), and the other disciples (Acts 13:52). This is different from the simple indwelling of the Spirit experienced by all believers. The indwelling of the Spirit did not begin until after Jesus died, as John 7:39 indicates.
Those old testament examples are examples of empowerment. The holy Spirit had not yet been given in the New Covenant sense.

John 7:38–39 (KJV 1900) — 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

You will note reception of the Spirit is future here

John 14:15–17 (KJV 1900) — 15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Reception here is the indwelling

Had they actually received the Holy Spirit

If they had been indwelt, the apostles would not have come down that they might receive the Spirit

But they had not received the Spirit until here

Acts 8:17 (KJV 1900) — 17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

The indwelling

None of them did because the Holy Spirit was not yet received until the apostles arrived.

Wrong, because Peter equated what Simon had asked for with "the gift of God" = The Holy Spirit (yes, the Holy Spirit Himself)
Yes Fred

John 4:10 (ESV) — 10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.

Acts 2:38 (ESV) — 38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 10:45 (ESV) — 45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles.

Acts 11:15–17 (KJV 1900) — 15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. 17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

Acts 8:17–20 (KJV 1900) — 17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. 18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, 19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. 20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.

Wrong, the Holy Spirit was indwelling them, but they did not have miraculous power. That is something that only the Apostles could convey.
Read the passages cited again. What I said is exactly what Simon was asking.

Those old testament examples are examples of empowerment. The holy Spirit had not yet been given in the New Covenant sense.
Exactly.
John 7:38–39 (KJV 1900) — 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

You will note reception of the Spirit is future here

John 14:15–17 (KJV 1900) — 15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
Reception here is the indwelling
True.
Had they actually received the Holy Spirit
The indwelling? Yes. Miraculous wonders? No.

If they had been indwelt, the apostles would not have come down that they might receive the Spirit

But they had not received the Spirit until here
Many people on this forum try to tell me that a person is saved when they believe (give intellectual assent) to the truth of the Gospel. I contend that a person is saved only when they are baptized (provided that they have first believed, repented, and confessed Jesus as Lord). But in either case, we all agree that a person who has been saved has received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (regardless of when salvation actually occurs). So then, these people who had been baptized into Christ (assuming that they believed repented and confessed in conjunction with their baptism), were saved, and thus had the indwelling of the Spirit as the seal of their adoption into Christ. The only thing they had not received was the miraculous wonders done by the Holy Spirit through them. And this only the Apostles could convey.
Acts 8:17 (KJV 1900) — 17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

The indwelling
No, not the indwelling. They received that when they were saved, which happened when they were baptized.

Back
Top Bottom