Are you a hyper Calvinist ?

I disagree with the 5-fold definition presented.
I suspect I am not alone and many Seminaries and Theology textbooks would define it differently.

Nothing further can hope to be gained from such a "false start", so carry on.
I have said my piece, now I'll hold my peace.
Well said. This is just another thread to bash Calvins.

I have not seen anyone push back or defend Calvinism. In devotional reading the other day, I came across this proverb.

It's better to take hold
of a mad dog by the ears
than to take part
in someone else's argument.

Proverbs 26:17 (CEV)

I'm getting frustrated with the lack of logic here.
Understood and empathize.
before just posting random stuff that pops into the head.

The price to pay for the ability to express oneself sans "peered reviewed" published articles.

At work, I am taking on a massive regulatory compliance project. 100's of technical work instructions, each one must go through a series of gates in the approval process that I also developed. In other words, not only am I creating the technical paper, I've created the process by which its final publication is granted.

Just found this which makes most Calvinists I know hyper .

“Predestination in Calvinism traditionally argues that only the elect are able to understand Christ's atonement, but that the sufficiency of the atonement stretches to all humanity, while Hyper-Calvinism argues the atonement is sufficient only to the elect.”

Just found this which makes most Calvinists I know hyper .

“Predestination in Calvinism traditionally argues that only the elect are able to understand Christ's atonement, but that the sufficiency of the atonement stretches to all humanity, while Hyper-Calvinism argues the atonement is sufficient only to the elect.”
I'm not exactly sure what distinction you are trying to make here. However, if Point 1 of Hyper-Calvinism that you wrote is incorrect, then Universalism would be correct doctrine.

You might not prefer the terms they use. However, regardless of synonyms, either everyone is saved or everyone is not. And if everyone is not saved, there is a reason to explain this GIVEN the nature of God. Rather than bash Calvin's explanation what is your explanation?

What is hyper-Calvinism and is it biblical? (Got Questions)

A simple definition is this: hyper-Calvinism is the belief that God saves the elect through His sovereign will with little or no use of the methods of bringing about salvation (such as evangelism, preaching, and prayer for the lost). To an unbiblical fault, the hyper-Calvinist over-emphasizes God’s sovereignty and under-emphasizes man’s responsibility in the work of salvation.​

Most Calvinists are NOT Hypercalvinists.

What Is Hyper-Calvinism? (John Piper)

Indiscriminate Gospel​

Now to the specific question, What is hyper-Calvinism? I think probably the most common historic meaning for the term is that hyper-Calvinism refers to a distortion of historic Calvinism, and the distortion says it is inappropriate and unbiblical to invite people to Christ unless they give some evidence of being among the elect. That’s a distortion. That’s a falsehood.​
The net effect of this viewpoint is to put a governor on the indiscriminate preaching of the gospel and wholehearted engagement in world missions. You can hear it in the voice of a preacher who, when William Carey wanted to go to India, said, “Sit down, young man. When God wants to reach the nations, he’ll do it without your help.” In other words, “Don’t you go out there and preach the gospel indiscriminately to those pagans. You might tempt somebody to embrace the gospel when they’re not elect.” That’s hyper-Calvinism.​
In other words, the emphasis is put so completely on the unconditional election of God and the spiritual deadness of man and the sovereignty of grace in conversion (all of which are true) that the irrational and unbiblical inference is drawn that we should not say to any non-elect person who’s spiritually dead, “Repent. Believe. Come to Christ.” We should never preach like that. We should never indiscriminately say to a whole crowd of people, many of whom would be non-elect, “Come to Christ. Repent. Believe.”​
Now, the reason I say that’s irrational and unbiblical to draw that inference from election and deadness and sovereign grace is this: nothing in reason says that summoning a spiritually dead sinner to repent might not be the means God uses to perform the miracle of making him alive, and thus demonstrating he is elect. I say it’s unbiblical because the Bible tells us to preach the gospel to everyone, and the sheep will hear the Shepherd’s voice in the preaching and follow him (John 10:27).​
Our job is not to know ahead of time who the sheep are. Our job is to preach the unsearchable riches of Christ, pray for converting power, and plead for people to repent and trust God — trust him to do his regenerating work. God raises the dead. He grants faith, and he does it through preaching. We’re supposed to say precisely to dead bones, “Live! Live! Why would you die?” That’s the way we should preach: indiscriminately, to all people, offering the gospel to everyone, and trusting God to call his own.​

Withholding Assurance​

Now, here’s another contemporary form of hyper-Calvinism that is common among some Reformed groups. Just like the old hyper-Calvinism was hesitant to offer gospel salvation to someone who might not be elect, so this contemporary form of hyper-Calvinism is hesitant to offer gospel assurance to professing Christians who might not be elect.​
I had a conversation with a man who held this view recently on one of my trips, and my conclusion was this: he so emphasized the danger of giving false assurance to possibly fake Christians that he preached in such a way as to withhold true assurance from real Christians.​
That’s how a good concern becomes a hyper-concern. You can smell it, because the tone of the congregation is not the tone of Romans 8, which is so radically bent on helping Christians be gloriously bold in their assurance that nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ.​

Calvinism Is Not Hyper-Calvinism (G3 ministries)

What is Hyper-Calvinism?​

Hyper-Calvinism is not a term used for those who are overly passionate about Calvinism. That’s actually what we refer to as “cage stage Calvinism.” When understood properly, hyper-Calvinism is a technical term for an extreme and unbiblical view that rejects any need for Christians to engage in missions and evangelism. Simply put, hyper-Calvinists forbid the preaching of the gospel and the offer of salvation to the non-elect. Such people believe that God has chosen people in Christ in eternity past and will bring about His results without the help of His people. Hyper-Calvinism is heresy and must be rejected.​
To illustrate the views of hyper-Calvinism, consider what happened during a pastors’ meeting years ago. A man named William Carey wanted to organize an effort to get the gospel to what he called heathen nations. Carey stood up and addressed the crowd by requesting that they discuss “the duty of Christians to attempt to spread the gospel among the heathen nations.” Mr. Ryland, and older minister, exclaimed loudly, “Sit down, young man! When God pleases to convert the heathen, He will do it without your aid or mine.” Carey did not stop. His allegiance was to Christ – not Mr. Ryland. Carey went to India and proclaimed the good news of Christ.​
Carey would write a book titled – An Enquiry into the Obligations of Christians, to Use Means for the Conversion of Heathens. He would argue his case that we should use means to reach heathens – contrary to what Mr. Ryland – the elder minister said in his meeting as he scolded the young Carey for bringing up the subject.​
William Carey, in his Enquiry, wrote: “It seems as if many thought the commission was sufficiently put in execution by what the apostles and others have done; that we have enough to do to attend to the salvation of our own countrymen; and that, if God intends the salvation of the heathen, he will some way or other bring them to the gospel, or the gospel to them. It is thus that multitudes sit at ease, and give themselves no concern about the far greater part of their fellow sinners, who to this day, are lost in ignorance and idolatry.”​
It must be pointed out that William Carey was a Calvinist. Although William Carey had only a grammar school education – he would shake the world with the gospel. Carey once preached a sermon where he stated – “Expect Great Things – Attempt Great Things.” It was later added – “Expect Great Things From God – Attempt Great Things For God.” That’s exactly what he did as he proclaimed the true gospel of King Jesus. India would never be the same. The world would never be the same. The way the church viewed missions would never be the same – because of this Christ-exalting Calvinist that has become known to us as the “father of modern missions.”​

What’s the Difference?​

The difference between Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism is the distance between heaven and hell. Calvinism is full of life and passion for God and desires to make God’s glory shine among the nations. Hyper-Calvinism is lifeless heresy that damns people to hell, kills evangelism, and ruins churches. Take a good look at the missionary movement of church history and you will see Calvinists leading the charge. Men like William Carey, Adoniram Judson, and Charles Spurgeon were all Calvinists. Many people overlook the missionary heart of John Calvin himself. He trained and sent out many missionaries who passionately preached the truth. Many of these men were martyred for their faith.​
The next time you’re talking to someone with Type-1 diabetes, just remember—it’s not the same thing as Type-2 diabetes. Also, the next time you’re talking to a Calvinist, remember, Calvinism is not hyper-Calvinism. To call faithful Calvinistic Christians hyper-Calvinists is to consign a massive number of people from church history to the flames of hell (including people like Charles Spurgeon, William Carey, Martin Luther, Andrew Fuller, Adoniram Judson, and George Whitefield). What’s the difference between Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism? Calvinism proclaims the true gospel while hyper-Calvinism proclaims no gospel at all.​

Calvinism proclaims the true gospel while hyper-Calvinism proclaims no gospel at all.​

Phil Johnson, who has done extensive research on this subject very helpfully defines hyper-Calvinists using a five-fold definition. A hyper-Calvinist is one who:

1. Denies that the gospel call applies to all who hear, OR
  2. Denies that faith is the duty of every sinner, OR
  3. Denies that the gospel makes any “offer” of Christ, salvation, or mercy to the non-elect (or denies that the offer of divine mercy is free and universal), OR
  4. Denies that there is such a thing as “common grace,” OR
  5. Denies that God has any sort of love for the non-elect.
As Phil says, “All five varieties of hyper-Calvinism undermine evangelism or twist the gospel message.” So this is the key to understanding hyper-Calvinism: it undermines evangelism and/or somehow distorts the gospel message. Hyper-Calvinists emphasize God’s sovereignty but de-emphasize God’s love. They tend to set God’s sovereignty at odds with the clear biblical call to human responsibility.

Hyper-Calvinism: A Brief Definition | Tim Challies
The term hyper-Calvinist is often used as a pejorative. Almost any Calvinist who adheres to the doctrines of grace is likely to be considered a hyper-Calvinist by at least someone. Frankly speaking, a hyper-Calvinist can be any Calvinist to a person who doesn't understand Calvinism. So today...
www.challies.com
Hyper Calvinist? Really? Is there any other Kind?

I once read where Spurgeon wrote in one of his books or articles that Calvinism is the gospel.

Calvinism Is Not Hyper-Calvinism (G3 ministries)

What is Hyper-Calvinism?​

Hyper-Calvinism is not a term used for those who are overly passionate about Calvinism. That’s actually what we refer to as “cage stage Calvinism.” When understood properly, hyper-Calvinism is a technical term for an extreme and unbiblical view that rejects any need for Christians to engage in missions and evangelism. Simply put, hyper-Calvinists forbid the preaching of the gospel and the offer of salvation to the non-elect. Such people believe that God has chosen people in Christ in eternity past and will bring about His results without the help of His people. Hyper-Calvinism is heresy and must be rejected.​
To illustrate the views of hyper-Calvinism, consider what happened during a pastors’ meeting years ago. A man named William Carey wanted to organize an effort to get the gospel to what he called heathen nations. Carey stood up and addressed the crowd by requesting that they discuss “the duty of Christians to attempt to spread the gospel among the heathen nations.” Mr. Ryland, and older minister, exclaimed loudly, “Sit down, young man! When God pleases to convert the heathen, He will do it without your aid or mine.” Carey did not stop. His allegiance was to Christ – not Mr. Ryland. Carey went to India and proclaimed the good news of Christ.​
Carey would write a book titled – An Enquiry into the Obligations of Christians, to Use Means for the Conversion of Heathens. He would argue his case that we should use means to reach heathens – contrary to what Mr. Ryland – the elder minister said in his meeting as he scolded the young Carey for bringing up the subject.​
William Carey, in his Enquiry, wrote: “It seems as if many thought the commission was sufficiently put in execution by what the apostles and others have done; that we have enough to do to attend to the salvation of our own countrymen; and that, if God intends the salvation of the heathen, he will some way or other bring them to the gospel, or the gospel to them. It is thus that multitudes sit at ease, and give themselves no concern about the far greater part of their fellow sinners, who to this day, are lost in ignorance and idolatry.”​
It must be pointed out that William Carey was a Calvinist. Although William Carey had only a grammar school education – he would shake the world with the gospel. Carey once preached a sermon where he stated – “Expect Great Things – Attempt Great Things.” It was later added – “Expect Great Things From God – Attempt Great Things For God.” That’s exactly what he did as he proclaimed the true gospel of King Jesus. India would never be the same. The world would never be the same. The way the church viewed missions would never be the same – because of this Christ-exalting Calvinist that has become known to us as the “father of modern missions.”​

What’s the Difference?​

The difference between Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism is the distance between heaven and hell. Calvinism is full of life and passion for God and desires to make God’s glory shine among the nations. Hyper-Calvinism is lifeless heresy that damns people to hell, kills evangelism, and ruins churches. Take a good look at the missionary movement of church history and you will see Calvinists leading the charge. Men like William Carey, Adoniram Judson, and Charles Spurgeon were all Calvinists. Many people overlook the missionary heart of John Calvin himself. He trained and sent out many missionaries who passionately preached the truth. Many of these men were martyred for their faith.​
The next time you’re talking to someone with Type-1 diabetes, just remember—it’s not the same thing as Type-2 diabetes. Also, the next time you’re talking to a Calvinist, remember, Calvinism is not hyper-Calvinism. To call faithful Calvinistic Christians hyper-Calvinists is to consign a massive number of people from church history to the flames of hell (including people like Charles Spurgeon, William Carey, Martin Luther, Andrew Fuller, Adoniram Judson, and George Whitefield). What’s the difference between Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism? Calvinism proclaims the true gospel while hyper-Calvinism proclaims no gospel at all.​

Calvinism proclaims the true gospel while hyper-Calvinism proclaims no gospel at all.​

Amen. Good explanation.

And when they heard it, lifted their voices together with one united mind to God…Acts 4:24

The church in Acts had great spiritual power because they had the same vision, the same goal, and they were all pressing toward the same mark. The early church as described in Acts lived in unity and peace.

But when the church began to split into various factions with different opinions, the power of the church lessened. People who were unable to stay in agreement due to pride and other related problems caused the church to divide into many different groups.

The believers in the church of Corinth were people just like us, people in relationship with one another, arguing over trivial things that they should have left alone.

We see in 1 Corinthians 1:12: “What I mean is this, that each one of you [either] says, I belong to Paul, or I belong to Apollos, or I belong to Cephas, or I belong to Christ.” It sounds to me as though only the names have changed in today’s arguments. Today we hear, "I'm Calvinist,“ I’m Catholic,” “I’m Lutheran,” “I’m Baptist,” or “I’m Pentecostal or Charismatic.”

1 Corinthians 1:13: “Is Christ (the Messiah) divided into parts? Was Paul crucified on behalf of you? Or were you baptized into the name of Paul?”

Paul was telling the Corinthians to keep their minds on Christ—not each other. If we are to live in peace with one another and unleash God’s power and blessing in our lives, we must do the same. Sometimes we get so worried and upset about what other believers are doing that we forget all about Jesus and that He has called us to live in unity with one another.

We can either work it out with a humble attitude, or trust God and let go of our concerns. When you live in peace, you will have the blessed, powerful life God wants for you.

If he did then he was way, way, way out of line.
(Spurgeon's Sovereign Grace Sermons, Still Waters Revival Books, p. 170). I have my own opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else.
https://biblical-african.com/blogs/charles-spurgeon-quotes-on-calvinism/#:~:text=(Spurgeon's Sovereign Grace Sermons, Still,the gospel, and nothing else.

CHARLES SPURGEON QUOTES ON CALVINISM

https://biblical-african.com/blogs/charles-spurgeon-quotes-on-calvinism/#:~:text=(Spurgeon's Sovereign Grace Sermons, Still,the gospel, and nothing else.

I have not checked the source reference of the quote but this has been reported.

(Spurgeon's Sovereign Grace Sermons, Still Waters Revival Books, p. 170). I have my own opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else.
Well he gave his opinion. I'll give mine. He was out of line. And I'm not saying he wasn't saved....but....out of line.

A, problem here though is it's so very rare, in fact I haven't seen it at all where any Calvinist have said to me that God is making an offer of salvation to anyone.

Even those of us who believe in divine election witness to everyone. I think it was Spurgeon who said if God painted the elect with a yellow stripe (or something like that), he would preach to them only, but since that isn't true, he preaches to everyone.

Gods will is for the salvation of everyone.

His will is for all men to be saved. Because God is Love and loving He does not force His love on anyone but gives them a choice to love in return and repent of their sins. God does not force His love on them and violate mans willing choice to love in return nor coerce man. Its a real loving act of God the way He created man in his image with the ability to love. God is Love as we see below.

1 Timothy 2:4
who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. nkjv

Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.klv

God wants everyone to be saved and to know the whole truth, which is, cev

who wills everyone to be saved and to come to knowledge of the truth. nab

who is willing for all mankind to be saved and come to a full knowledge of the truth.wnt

1 Timothy 4:10
To this end we labor and strive, because we have set our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of everyone, and especially of those who believe.

Ezekiel 18:23
Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Lord GOD. Wouldn't I prefer that he turn from his ways and live?

Ezekiel 18:32
For I take no pleasure in anyone's death, declares the Lord GOD. So repent and live!

Ezekiel 33:11
Say to them: 'As surely as I live, declares the Lord GOD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked should turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?'

John 3:17
For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.

Mark 16:15
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

And then he told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone. nlt

hope this helps !!!
Parallel to John 3:17

John 12:47 (KJV 1900) — 47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

Where world includes in it any which do not believe

Back
Top Bottom