Acts 22:16 Paul's salvation

No they are synonymous terms
No, they are not. 1 Cor 12:4-11 is very clear that there are many manifestations of the Spirit. As I have demonstrated to Tom, the Holy Spirit indwells EVERY person who is born again. But not everyone receives any or all of the gifts listed in 1 Cor 12.

No, they are not. 1 Cor 12:4-11 is very clear that there are many manifestations of the Spirit. As I have demonstrated to Tom, the Holy Spirit indwells EVERY person who is born again. But not everyone receives any or all of the gifts listed in 1 Cor 12.
no-one claims anyone has all of the gifts.

every believer has a minimum of at least one gift and some have a plurality of gifts.

No they are synonymous terms
The point you miss is those who are indwelt have received the Spirit

John 7:38–39 (KJV 1900) — 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. - speaks of indwelling
and this of receiving the spirit

which they that believe on him should receive

The point you miss is those who are indwelt have received the Spirit

John 7:38–39 (KJV 1900) — 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. - speaks of indwelling
and this of receiving the spirit

which they that believe on him should receive
I agree.

Nope you are dodging

Those indwelt have received the Spirit - you agreed

The text states they did not receive the Spirit

Logically they were not indwelt

Stop ignoring the logic and deal with it
Logic is irrelevant in the face of evidence and facts. The fact is, though you refuse to accept it, that these men were saved, they were in Christ, and as such had the indwelling of the Spirit which is promised to be given to every person who is saved. That being the case, we know that "received the Spirit" cannot be referring to the indwelling, because clearly these men already had the indwelling, since they were saved. This is why Peter and John did not instruct them to be baptized again, or teach them about Jesus again, or instruct them to believe again. They only needed to have hands laid on them and to be given the miraculous empowerment of the Spirit which they had not been able to receive from Philip.

no-one claims anyone has all of the gifts.

every believer has a minimum of at least one gift and some have a plurality of gifts.
Every believer has a minimum of the indwelling, but not everyone has the gifts listed in 1 Cor 12. The gifts listed here as manifestations of the Spirit do not include the indwelling, because the indwelling is not a manifestation. It is not something you can see or experience (if you are not the one experiencing it). The men in Acts 8 that Tom and I are discussing were saved when Philip baptized them, therefore they had the indwelling of the Spirit. But they did not receive any of the miraculous empowerments or manifestations of the Spirit until Peter and John laid hands on them.

Logic is irrelevant in the face of evidence and facts. The fact is, though you refuse to accept it, that these men were saved, they were in Christ, and as such had the indwelling of the Spirit which is promised to be given to every person who is saved. That being the case, we know that "received the Spirit" cannot be referring to the indwelling, because clearly these men already had the indwelling, since they were saved. This is why Peter and John did not instruct them to be baptized again, or teach them about Jesus again, or instruct them to believe again. They only needed to have hands laid on them and to be given the miraculous empowerment of the Spirit which they had not been able to receive from Philip.
LOL

this is evidence

I would say it is highly doubtful Simon was saved

Acts 8:18–24 (LEB) — 18 Now Simon, when he saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, offered them money, 19 saying, “Give to me also this power, so that whomever I place my hands on may receive the Holy Spirit!” 20 But Peter said to him, “May your silver be destroyed along with you, because you thought you could acquire the gift of God by means of money! 21 You have no part or share in this matter, because your heart is not right before God. 22 Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours, and ask the Lord if perhaps the intent of your heart may be forgiven you!” 23 For I see you are in a state of bitter envy and bound by unrighteousness.” 24 But Simon answered and said, “You pray to the Lord for me so that nothing of what you have said will come upon me.”

In any case none but the Jews had received the Spirit.

The Spirit had yet to be sent to non Jews or half Jews

Yes, that is one meaning of the phrase "received the Spirit". But it is not the only meaning. As stated before, it is entirely possible to have the indwelling but not the miraculous empowerment of the Spirit. These men had the indwelling. But they had not received the miraculous empowerment of the Spirit. Thus, they had not "received the Spirit".
They had not received the Spirit, meaning that they had not received miraculous empowerment. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the indwelling of the Spirit.

Like I said, logic plays no part in this.
I would say it is highly doubtful Simon was saved

Acts 8:18–24 (LEB) — 18 Now Simon, when he saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, offered them money, 19 saying, “Give to me also this power, so that whomever I place my hands on may receive the Holy Spirit!” 20 But Peter said to him, “May your silver be destroyed along with you, because you thought you could acquire the gift of God by means of money! 21 You have no part or share in this matter, because your heart is not right before God. 22 Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours, and ask the Lord if perhaps the intent of your heart may be forgiven you!” 23 For I see you are in a state of bitter envy and bound by unrighteousness.” 24 But Simon answered and said, “You pray to the Lord for me so that nothing of what you have said will come upon me.”

In any case none but the Jews had received the Spirit.

The Spirit had yet to be sent to non Jews or half Jews
What did Simon SEE when the Spirit was given? He saw miraculous empowerment: speaking in tongues, healing, prophesying, etc. He could not see them receiving the indwelling. But these men already had that, because they were already saved. These men were the first among the non-Jews to receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, because they were the first of the non-Jews to be saved.

Yes, that is one meaning of the phrase "received the Spirit". But it is not the only meaning. As stated before, it is entirely possible to have the indwelling but not the miraculous empowerment of the Spirit. These men had the indwelling. But they had not received the miraculous empowerment of the Spirit. Thus, they had not "received the Spirit".
Even arguing that does not matter

You agreed that one indwelt had received the spirit

If the Samaritan been indwelt they would have received the Spirit

the text however states they had not received the Spirit

You want to change the definition of receiving the Spirit to one that suits your theology

Even arguing that does not matter

You agreed that one indwelt had received the spirit

If the Samaritan been indwelt they would have received the Spirit

the text however states they had not received the Spirit

You want to change the definition of receiving the Spirit to one that suits your theology
It matters completely and totally. That is the whole point I am making. I do not need to change the definition of the phrase, because I made it clear from the beginning that there are multiple ways in which we receive the Spirit, and they are not mutually inclusive. The Samaritans had NOT received the miraculous empowerment of the Spirit (which is exactly what the 120 received on Pentecost). The Samaritans HAD already received the indwelling of the Spirit, because they were in Christ (saved/born again). You cannot be born again and not have the indwelling. But you can be born again and not have the empowerment of the Spirit that the Samaritans received when Peter and John laid hands on them.

It matters completely and totally. That is the whole point I am making. I do not need to change the definition of the phrase, because I made it clear from the beginning that there are multiple ways in which we receive the Spirit, and they are not mutually inclusive. The Samaritans had NOT received the miraculous empowerment of the Spirit (which is exactly what the 120 received on Pentecost). The Samaritans HAD already received the indwelling of the Spirit, because they were in Christ (saved/born again). You cannot be born again and not have the indwelling. But you can be born again and not have the empowerment of the Spirit that the Samaritans received when Peter and John laid hands on them.
You did change the definition

You affirmed those indwelt received the Spirit

you are now arguing men are indwelt without receiving the spirit

that is a plain contradiction

Back
Top Bottom