Why God Became Man

Johann

The Incarnation of Jesus Christ
The word incarnation does not occur in the Bible. It is derived from the Latin in and caro (flesh), meaning clothed in flesh, the act of assuming flesh. Its only use in theology is in reference to that gracious, voluntary act of the Son of God in which He assumed a human body. In Christian doctrine the Incarnation, briefly stated, is that the Lord Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God, became a man. It is one of the greatest events to occur in the history of the universe. It is without parallel.

The Apostle Paul wrote, ''And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh . . . " (I Timothy 3:16). Confessedly, by common consent the Incarnation of Jesus Christ is outside the range of human natural comprehension and apprehension. It can be made known only by Divine revelation in the Holy Scriptures, and to those only who are illumined by the Holy Spirit. It is a truth of the greatest magnitude that God in the Person of His Son should identify Himself completely with the human race. And yet He did, for reasons He set forth clearly in His Word.

Before we examine those reasons, it would be well at the outset to distinguish between the Incarnation and the Virgin Birth of our Lord, two truths sometimes confused by students of Scripture. The Incarnation of the Son of God is the fact of God becoming Man; the Virgin Birth is the method by which God the Son became Man.

These two truths, while distinct and different, are closely related to each other and stand in support of each other. If Jesus Christ was not virgin born, then He was not God in the flesh and was therefore only a man possessing the same sinful nature that every fallen child of Adam possesses. The fact of the Incarnation lies in the ever-existing One putting aside His eternal glory to become a man. The method of the Incarnation is the manner by which He chose to come, namely, the miraculous conception in the womb of a virgin.

A noteworthy passage pertinent to the Divine purpose in the Incarnation is recorded in the Gospel according to John-- ''And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us (and we beheld His glory. the glory as of the only begotten of the Father), full of grace and truth'' (John 1:14).

Cerinthus, a representative of the system which arose in the early church under the name of Docetism, claimed that our Lord had only an apparent human body. But the statement, ''the Word became flesh," indicates that He had a real body.

John 1:14 cannot be fully appreciated apart from verse one: ''In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God . . . And the Word became flesh." He who was one with the Father from all eternity became Man, taking upon Him a human body. He ''was with God'' (vs. 1); He ''became flesh" (vs. 14). He “was with God”' (vs. 1); He ''dwelt among us'' (vs. 14). From the infinite position of eternal Godhood to the finite limitations of manhood! Unthinkable but true!

Paul gives another significant passage on the Incarnation in his Galatian Epistle: ''But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons'' (Galatians 4:4, 5). In these verses Paul establishes the fact of the Incarnation-- " God sent forth His Son, made of a woman."

God sending His Son presupposes that God had a Son. Christ was the Son in His eternal relationship with the Father, not because He was born of Mary. Since a son shares the nature of his father, so our Lord shares the Godhead coequally with His Father. Yes, "God sent forth His Son," from His throne on high, from His position of heavenly glory. God did not send one forth who, in His birth, became His Son, but He sent One who, through all eternity, was His Son. Centuries before Christ was born, the Prophet Isaiah wrote of Him, ''For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given . . . '' (Isaiah 9:6). The Son was given in eternity past before we knew Him. His human birth was merely the method of coming to us.

Again, Paul records the following noteworthy statement in the Epistle to the Philippians: ''Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: and being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also bath highly exalted Him, and given Him a name which is above every name: that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father'' (Philippians 2:5-10).

Before His Incarnation Jesus Christ was ''in the form of God'' (vs. 6). From the beginning He had the nature of God, He existed (or subsisted) as God, and that essential Deity which He once was could never cease to be. If He seems Divine, it is only because He is Divine. He is God.

He ''thought it not robbery to be equal with God'' (vs. 6). The eternal Son did not consider it a thing to be seized unlawfully to be equal with the Father. Equality with God was not something He retained by force or by farce. He possessed it in eternity past and no power could take it from Him. But in the Incarnation He laid aside, not His possession of Deity, but His position in and expression of the heavenly glory.

One of the purposes of the Philippian epistle was to check the rising tide of dissension and strife growing out of Christians thinking more highly of themselves than they ought to think. Being a general letter, it exposes no false doctrines but does enunciate our Lord Jesus Christ as the believer's pattern in humiliation, self-denial, and loving service for others. This is evident in the seven downward steps of the Saviour's renunciation of Himself.

(1) ''He made Himself of no reputation." God emptied Himself! He did not lose His Deity when He became Man, for God is immutable and therefore cannot cease to be God. He always was God the Son; He continued to be God the Son in His earthly sojourn as Man; He is God the Son in heaven today as He will remain throughout eternity. He is ''Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever" (Hebrews 13:8).

To those denying the Deity of Jesus-knowingly, or unknowingly.
Johann

The word incarnation does not occur in the Bible. It is derived from the Latin in and caro (flesh), meaning clothed in flesh, the act of assuming flesh.
Correct, God put on a GARMENT, because he a dirty Job to do. ..... clean up sin. which answers the dual Nature of God. not Human Nature, but a glorified Nature. not made by humans. "Partake".

so there is nothing new under the sun. the show "Dirty Job" which airs on the discovery channel is nothing NEW. God is the Original "Dirty Job" worker. and sin is a dirty job to get rid of.

101G.

The perspective of a Jewish monotheist: The one God didn’t become a man. The word of the one God became flesh.

The incarnation of the word; not the incarnation of Jesus Christ.

The perspective of a Jewish monotheist: The one God didn’t become a man. The word of the one God became flesh.

The incarnation of the word; not the incarnation of Jesus Christ.
which is completly unbiblical. The Word who was God became flesh, a man called Jesus. John 1:1, 14.

hope this helps !!!

which is completly unbiblical. The Word who was God became flesh, a man called Jesus. John 1:1, 14.

hope this helps !!!

I’m fully aware of what you think about it. You needn’t be concerned about what I think about it.

What you need to be concerned about is what Jesus of Nazareth thinks about it. He isn’t who you sincerely believe he is.

John 1:1- The Word was God
John 1:14- The Word (who was God) became flesh
1 Tim 3:16- God was manifest in the flesh

next.............

John 1:1- The Word was God
John 1:14- The Word (who was God) became flesh
1 Tim 3:16- God was manifest in the flesh

next.............

John 1:1 - the word was God
John 1:14 - the word of God became flesh
1 Tim 3:16 - He who was manifest in the flesh is the man, Jesus of Nazareth

John 1:1 - the word was God
John 1:14 - the word of God became flesh
1 Tim 3:16 - He who was manifest in the flesh is the man, Jesus of Nazareth
more scripture twisting.

John 1:14- the Word became flesh

and the Word was God.

not the word of God became flesh.

more scripture twisting.

John 1:14- the Word became flesh

and the Word was God.

not the word of God became flesh.

I’m a Jewish monotheist and I understand scripture from the perspective of the Jewish monotheists who wrote it.

I’m a Jewish monotheist and I understand scripture from the perspective of the Jewish monotheists who wrote it.
Thats your first mistake- reading the bible through your presuppositions.

Hermenuetics 101.

You must of failed that class in seminary.

Your presupposition is trinitarianism.
no its not thats your strawman.

I can support the Plural God from both testaments without ever mentioning the trinity and just sticking with the text. And I need no outside sources and inly need the biblical texts. I don't even need to mention the trinty to prove God is not a solitary person.

no its not thats your strawman.

I can support the Plural God from both testaments without ever mentioning the trinity and just sticking with the text. And I need no outside sources and inly need the biblical texts. I don't even need to mention the trinty to prove God is not a solitary person.

I know what you think you do. I’ve seen your efforts.

likewise you cannot see anything through another lens- its called blinders.

You’re mistaken. I was raised a trinitarian. When I was a trinitarian I saw everything through that lens. I haven’t forgotten what I saw. I still see through that lens when I read what trinitarians have to say.

Back
Top Bottom