When Love Encounters Pride

Khazar

There is a weed that is likely to grow in the garden of your love and squeeze out the flower of agape is pride. The Bible tells us that in God’s love there is no room for pride. “Love does not parade itself, is not puffed up” (1 Corinthians 13:4). I like how J. B. Phillips has translates that: “Love is neither anxious to impress, nor does it cherish inflated ideas of its own importance.” There are two expressions here: one speaks of what love does on the outside if it gets caught up with pride. The other has to do with what pride is on the inside.

First I'd like to take a look at pride on the outside. Boasting is what happens to a proud person on the outside. As you read through the Old and New Testaments you will see many different catalogs of sins, but the sin of pride finds its way to the top of every list. Proverbs tells us there are six things which God hates. At the very top of that list is a proud look. Someone has defined pride as an exaggerated and dishonest self-evaluation. It says, “I want people to accept me despite my own awareness that it is a false evaluation.” Pride seeks value, honor, importance, reputation, and significance that it does not deserve. Pride is an ego-motivated maneuver to hide from the truth about myself. It cannot co-exist with love, for agape love always seeks the best interest of the other. Pride is so consumed with its own best interests that it has no time to look at the concerns of others. Pride is the enemy of love.

Then we have pride on the inside. Paul had a lot to say about the church at Corinth. If you had visited that church, you would have met Christians who were haughty, arrogant, and preoccupied with their own importance. Paul confronted them about their pride, using the unique phrase, love “is not puffed up.” Being puffed up is what happens to a proud person on the inside. You can trace the use of that word in 1 Corinthians.

In the fifth chapter we have the story of immorality in the church, but the church didn’t do anything about it. The reason behind the toleration of such sin is given to us in 1 Corinthians 5:1, “It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife! You are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you.”

Paul says it is not so much that the sin should happen, but that they are so proud they cannot see the sin for what it is. They wanted to sit back in their sophisticated way and say, “It’s just the age. It’s just the time. It’s just the way things are now in this grown up, sophisticated society.” Paul says the problem is pride— pride in the church, too much pride to face sin for what it is!

Now consider 1 Corinthians 8:1: “Now concerning things offered to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies.” There is a play on words here, for the word “edify” means to “build up” and Paul gives us a choice: to puff up or build up. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. That is an excellent lesson for the superbly educated 20th century in which we live. Knowledge without love is simply an opportunity for us to build pride within our own spirit, but when we have love we can avoid the pride trap.

The word for “puffed up” in the Greek language gives us a picture of a blacksmith’s bellows filled up with air. Paul’s idea is that love is neither conceited nor arrogant, and doesn’t try to appear more grand than it really is. Have you ever been around people who are puffed up? Sometimes it is all you can do to resist sticking a pin in them so they will deflate. There is a story in Aesop’s fables of a fly that is sitting on the axle of a chariot, and exclaiming, “What dust do I raise!” It reminds me of people I know who really have nothing to say, but keep on bragging as if there were something worthy to hear.

I'd love to hear what anyone else has to say about their understanding of the dangers of pride.

Excellent Op! Pride can definitely be a real stumbling block. How I struggled with pride was I suffered from low self-esteem and I had what's called called false pride. I had pride in being a jerk. And I was so good at it. But that was my old man I'm a new creation in Christ Jesus my Lord. If I catch myself getting prideful today all I have to do is look back at who I used to be.

With that said what should we do about pride in our lives? We need to humble ourselves before God. When you take a look at Scripture you see that either we humble ourselves, or God humbles us. Nebuchadnezzar had a shot at humbling himself before God had to humble him, but because he would not, God did it. The Bible tells us that if we will humble ourselves before God, He will exalt us. God does not forbid pride just because He is worried about His dignity. He wants us to know Him, and He recognizes that pride gets in the way of our approaching God and relying on Him. It is only through humility that we can come to know the God who is in heaven. Pride is a spiritual cancer. It eats up the very possibility of love in your life. It destroys your ability to love God and to love others. Pride is the sin of hell. It is the one thing that can literally destroy your chance to succeed in life.

You have the choice. You can choose to puff yourself up, or you can choose love. I'll take the power of love any day.

If there is a deadly sin, one that is more wicked than any other, it has to be pride, for it is the only sin that specifically invites God’s judgement. James 4:6 tells us, “ ‘God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.’ ” God resists the proud. The one thing that seems to turn the power of God off in a person’s life more than anything else is pride.

If there is a deadly sin, one that is more wicked than any other, it has to be pride, for it is the only sin that specifically invites God’s judgement. James 4:6 tells us, “ ‘God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.’ ” God resists the proud. The one thing that seems to turn the power of God off in a person’s life more than anything else is pride.
True and there can be varying degrees of how someone is operating in pride. Some are not even conscious that they've fallen into it and God works with all of us in the process of sanctification.

Pride really goes that opposite direction from God which is a focus on SELF. It can really be linked to a lot of things like fear.....one responds to defend themselves lets say from a criticism for their self esteem isn't founded upon God loves from them but they can be afraid of men and how they can make them feel. I suppose whole books could be written on how pride can manifest itself.

There's extreme ways it can become manifested like individuals claiming they're a god or things similar. I heard a story about Evis Presley I don't know if it's true but when he heard someone called him The King, it's been said, he said once, "There is only one King and that's Jesus Christ" I do hope he did say that.

True and there can be varying degrees of how someone is operating in pride. Some are not even conscious that they've fallen into it and God works with all of us in the process of sanctification.

Pride really goes that opposite direction from God which is a focus on SELF. It can really be linked to a lot of things like fear.....one responds to defend themselves lets say from a criticism for their self esteem isn't founded upon God loves from them but they can be afraid of men and how they can make them feel. I suppose whole books could be written on how pride can manifest itself.

There's extreme ways it can become manifested like individuals claiming they're a god or things similar. I heard a story about Evis Presley I don't know if it's true but when he heard someone called him The King, it's been said, he said once, "There is only one King and that's Jesus Christ" I do hope he did say that.
I hope he did too I grew up in that era you seem like a good guy to me, one that would accept Jesus. Back in those days it was cool to be a Christian.

I don't know how true this is since it's from the internet. but...
Elvis was a devout Christian who prayed before shows, reveals stepbrother. While his fans worshipped him as a rock'n'roll deity, Elvis Presley would say a prayer before going on stage, reading the Bible and looking to God for guidance in everything he did, his stepbrother has recalled.

Back
Top Bottom