What exactly is faith?

praise_yeshua

Is Faith "compliance"?

That is how many people treat/teach "faith". Just do what God says (what they classify as obedience) and everything will be okay. There are many issues associated with this perspective of faith.

1. We know that faith is more than compliance. Many people comply with demands of their leaders because they have few choices.

• Faith requires believe what the Master says is true. Faith also requires diligent efforts to know the Master. Without faith it is impossible to please God.
Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.​

2. There is only one "sort" of faith that pleases God. Every "faith" is "tried" so as to reveal its quality.

• If anyone knows the challenges of REALLY believing God it is Peter. Notice what Peter has to say....
1Pe 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:​
  • Peaceful suffering associated with faith in Christ establishes the validity of faith. Who willing suffers for what they do not believe?

1Pe 4:16 Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name.​

• Paul agrees. The foundation stands unalterable. Settled. Permanent. What a man builds thereon will be judged by "faith/motivation".
1Co 3:11 For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.​
1Co 3:12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—​
1Co 3:13 each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.​

3. Faith requires freedom.

• There is no faith without freedom of will. All servants are allowed to go free.
Exo 21:5 And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:​
Exo 21:6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.​

• There is righteousness absent faithless compliance.
Rom 9:30 What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith;
Rom 9:31 but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness did not succeed in reaching that law.
Rom 9:32 Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone,

Without meaningful belief in your own actions (God's ways becoming your ways).... It is impossible to please God.

What exactly is faith?​

Three Scriptures cover it nicely:

What is it: Heb 11:1 FAITH MUST HAVE two attributes: SUBSTANCE, and be an EVIDENCE. "Beilief" has neither.
How do you get it? Roman 10:17 Faith is ALWAYS the result of HEARING GOD'S WORD to you (Gal 3:2, 3:5)
How do you apply it? Mark 11:22-24.

Three Scriptures cover it nicely:

What is it: Heb 11:1 FAITH MUST HAVE two attributes: SUBSTANCE, and be an EVIDENCE. "Beilief" has neither.
How do you get it? Roman 10:17 Faith is ALWAYS the result of HEARING GOD'S WORD to you (Gal 3:2, 3:5)
How do you apply it? Mark 11:22-24.

Hebrews 11:1 does not define faith. It simply lists two attributes that faith brings. Verse #6 defines faith.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

This why I left off verse #1. Faith provides substance and evidence. That is not what faith IS.

Man has long passed on that mistake to others. Read it again without accepting what you've been told and take it for what it says.

Last edited:
Hebrews 11:1 does not define faith. It simply lists two attributes that faith brings. Verse #6 defines faith.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

This why I left off verse #1. Faith provides substance and evidence. That is not what faith IS.

Man has long passed on that mistake to others. Read it again without accepting what you've been told and take it for what it says.
Heb 11:6 isn't any sort of a "FAITH DEFINITION". That you Can't understand Heb 11:1 speaks volumes.

Heb 11:6 isn't any sort of a "FAITH DEFINITION". That you Can't understand Heb 11:1 speaks volumes.

Bob. You're repeating what you've been told. You can clearly see that verse #1 is not a definition of faith. Faith brings many things. Not just substance. Not just evidence. Many things.

Substance and evidence come from faith. It is really simple.

Verse #6 define how faith pleases God. Which is the definition/characteristic in action of exactly what faith IS....

Faith believes that God is....
Faith believes that God rewards those who diligently seeks Him.

That is faith. This FAITH... gives substance and evidence to things "unseen".

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

One of the first times I ever studied Hebrews 11, I realized just how wrong I'd been by just accepting what someone said vs what the Scriptures taught.

Bob. You're repeating what you've been told. You can clearly see that verse #1 is not a definition of faith. Faith brings many things. Not just substance. Not just evidence. Many things.
The question was what IS Faith, not "what does Faith bring".

BELIEF has no "Substance", and isn't an "Evidence" of ANYTHING. Belief only "Hopes", but FAITH KNOWS what will happen.

FAITH doesn't "GIVE" substance and evidence, it IS Substance and evidence.

The question was what IS Faith, not "what does Faith bring".

BELIEF has no "Substance", and isn't an "Evidence" of ANYTHING. Belief only "Hopes", but FAITH KNOWS what will happen.

FAITH doesn't "GIVE" substance and evidence, it IS Substance and evidence.

Verse #3 clearly says otherwise.

Heb 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

THROUGH faith.... there is substance and evidence provided for the unseen actions of God.

Can you explain your comments relative to verse #3?

You have no faith without

1. Believing that God is... who He says He is....
2. Believing that God rewards you for diligently seeking Him.

Clearly things that are not currently seen.

Verse #3 clearly says otherwise.

Heb 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

THROUGH faith.... there is substance and evidence provided for the unseen actions of God.

Can you explain your comments relative to verse #3?
Nothing to explain. Romans 10:17 reveals that the SOURCE of FAITH is God's Word. God's Word reveals that "the worlds were framed-etc.".
And that settles it. There's NO SUCH THING as "blind faith", because FAITH KNOWS - without "seeing" based on God's Word (the substance) to us.

If there's NO FAITH, then Darwin becomes viable. WITH FAITH, he's just another ignorant deluded FOOL, because the SUBSTANCE of Creation has been established.

Faith is generally associated with the idea of believing and trusting something or someone. Some try to separate these words overly distinctly, and of course the words don't exactly correlate with the original languages, but the general ideas overlap.

It's an extremely broad meaning word in this sense, and even extends to the idea of "being able to trust someone," such as "faithful." Thus "keep faith" can mean to keep a trust or loyalty. Some theologians have gone too far with this to make saving faith a kind of meriting performance.

In Scripture, faith is sometimes used to describe the belief in a supernatural realm normally invisible to us (even the demons believe), but it is also used more specifically as a kind of "saving faith," a personal reliance upon the character of God to reveal himself and keep his promises.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to explain. Romans 10:17 reveals that the SOURCE of FAITH is God's Word. God's Word reveals that "the worlds were framed-etc.".
And that settles it. There's NO SUCH THING as "blind faith", because FAITH KNOWS - without "seeing" based on God's Word (the substance) to us.

If there's NO FAITH, then Darwin becomes viable. WITH FAITH, he's just another ignorant deluded FOOL, because the SUBSTANCE of Creation has been established.

So you're not going to actually go word by word and line by line of these very same "Scriptures" you claim provide substance? You're just going to insist that "faith isn't blind". Well. I agree. I never said faith is blind. Quote me. In fact, I've said the opposite many many times.

Verse # 3 and remaining are clear. THROUGH.... faith (unseen) we gain "substance and evidence" (which can be seen as LIGHT/SEEING)

None of what I have said excludes "mental sight" of things unseen. Which is exactly what is being referenced in Hebrews 11:1

Things that WE HAVE NOT LITERALLY SEEN.

Again.

We have no faith without

1. Believing that God is... who He says He is....
2. Believing that God rewards you for diligently seeking Him.

Clearly things that are not currently seen. (literal sight).

Faith is generally associated with the idea of believing and trusting something or someone. Some try to separate these words overly distinctly, and of course the words don't exactly correlate with the original languages, but the general ideas overlap.

It's an extremely broad meaning word in this sense, and even extends to the idea of "being able to trust someone," such as "faithful." Thus "keep faith" can mean to keep a trust or loyalty. Some theologians have gone too far with this to make saving faith a kind of meriting performance.

In Scripture, faith is sometimes used to describe the belief in a supernatural realm normally invisible to us (even the demons believe), but It is also used more specifically as a kind of "saving faith," a personal reliance upon the character of God to reveal himself and keep his promises.

Well said!

Just to add....

What is Hope? Hope is an anchor. Faith sometimes wavers. Faith can be small. Faith can grow.

Hope comes from the experience of faith. It is a mature rest/confidence in God to the point of anchoring everything you are in Him.

Rom 4:18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
Rom 4:19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:
Rom 4:20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;

What is Hope?

I've spent considerable time trying to understand the difference between faith and hope, and especially because they are listed in the top three gifts of "faith, hope and love."

I would define hope as positive speculations about the possible future. Sometimes hope seemed like a generic off-brand faith to me, lol, a watered down version, but Scripture gives it it's own category.

But Scripture does tell us that God empowers both faith and hope in us, and these are virtuous and spiritual things granted as a gift from him that we must actively exercise.

How would you describe the difference between Biblical faith and mere mental assent to a proposition?

No matter how we slice it. You have to have certain knowledge before we can even apply faith. The Gospel and life's experiences bring this.

To me, a faith that cannot be felt is meaningless. Mental assent is necessary but is only the beginning. We feel. Everything we sincerely care about, we feel in our very beings.

Is Faith "compliance"?

That is how many people treat/teach "faith". Just do what God says (what they classify as obedience) and everything will be okay. There are many issues associated with this perspective of faith.

1. We know that faith is more than compliance. Many people comply with demands of their leaders because they have few choices.

• Faith requires believe what the Master says is true. Faith also requires diligent efforts to know the Master. Without faith it is impossible to please God.
Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.​

2. There is only one "sort" of faith that pleases God. Every "faith" is "tried" so as to reveal its quality.

• If anyone knows the challenges of REALLY believing God it is Peter. Notice what Peter has to say....
1Pe 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:​
  • Peaceful suffering associated with faith in Christ establishes the validity of faith. Who willing suffers for what they do not believe?

1Pe 4:16 Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name.​

• Paul agrees. The foundation stands unalterable. Settled. Permanent. What a man builds thereon will be judged by "faith/motivation".
1Co 3:11 For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.​
1Co 3:12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—​
1Co 3:13 each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.​

3. Faith requires freedom.

• There is no faith without freedom of will. All servants are allowed to go free.
Exo 21:5 And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:​
Exo 21:6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.​

• There is righteousness absent faithless compliance.
Rom 9:30 What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith;
Rom 9:31 but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness did not succeed in reaching that law.
Rom 9:32 Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone,

Without meaningful belief in your own actions (God's ways becoming your ways).... It is impossible to please God.
I've never heard of anyone holding the position that all compliance is faith, though the way to have faith in God to correctly divide between right and wrong through the Mosaic Law is by being a complier of it. The Bible repeatedly refers to the Mosaic Law as being God's ways, so diligently seeking God by obeying it is the way for His ways to become our ways.

Just to add....

What is Hope? Hope is an anchor. Faith sometimes wavers.
This is a topic like many which it all depends on how one is using words. I don't believe faith can waver, FAITH is just that FAITH. Without seeming to contradict myself I can say someone's faith wavered but in saying that I'm not insisting on an exact precise way of what words mean.

Saying one's Faith wavered is just a way we talk in this world. One in faith can waver but if they wavered they got out of faith and into doubt. Should be noted if one is TEMPTED to doubt that doesn't mean one is doubting. It's what one does with those thoughts that came to their mind which define if one has left faith.

Last edited:
How would you describe the difference between Biblical faith and mere mental assent to a proposition?
Just an observation......many can study great bible truths, like for a believer their bodies have now become the temple of the Holy Spirit. If that doesn't make one excited and overjoyed. in how they talk, act and respond to situations then it's just mentally agreeing with theological positions.

Rom 4:18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
Rom 4:19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:
Rom 4:20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
Abraham had no reasonable expectations Sarah would have a child based on the natural realm. Hope = reasonable expectations

Another thing though came into play....God spoke....God gave a promise or a dealation. Because Abraham knew that would transcend natural realm realities (they were too old to have a child) ( I mean if God can created the heavens and the earth what is this small thing for God) that which once was unreasonable now became so.

Abraham crossed the line though of not just having hope.....but agreed with the declaration that God said he had made him a Father of many nations. He did not become weak in faith, in holding this belief, but gave glory to God continually that what God said was true, established and a fact regardless of what he saw or felt in the natural realm.

Mind over matter? No it's not mind over matter but having FAITH in God that he changes the matter. (more could be said)

Back
Top Bottom