Total Genesis

Gen 50:11 . . And when the Canaanite inhabitants of the land saw the mourning
at Goren ha-Atad, they said; This is a solemn mourning on the part of the
Egyptians. That is why it was named Abel-mizraim, which is beyond the Jordan.

"Abel-mizraim" means Meadow of the Egyptians. Unfortunately, it's precise location
has been lost in antiquity.

Gen 50:12-14 . .Thus his sons did for him as he had instructed them. His sons
carried him to the land of Canaan, and buried him in the cave of the field of
Machpelah, the field near Mamre, which Abraham had bought for a burial site from
Ephron the Hittite. After burying his father, Joseph returned to Egypt, he and his
brothers and all who had gone up with him to bury his father.

If Joseph and his brothers were aware of the prediction The Lord made to Abraham
back in Gen 15:13-14, then they probably returned to Egypt with heaviness
knowing in advance that slavery and oppression were in store for their posterity.

NOTE: But then again there are folk like King Hezekiah who, when told of his
progeny's rather grim future, was grateful that it would happen to them instead of
him. (Isa 39:5-8)

Gen 50:15 . .When Joseph's brothers saw that their father was dead, they said:
What if Joseph still bears a grudge against us and pays us back for all the wrong
that we did him?

Where did they get the idea that Joseph was bearing any grudge at all, let alone
"still" bearing a grudge? You know what they did? They did just what Laban did to
Jacob back in chapter 31 when he threatened Jacob with retribution if he abused
Rachel and Leah or dumped them for other women.

Jacob had worked for Laban, on his ranch, up close and personal for twenty years
and never gave Laban one single reason to either believe, or suspect that Jacob
might do unkind things to his wives. In other words: Laban projected; i.e. he
assumed everyone was like himself.

Joseph's brothers had a wicked conscience. It wasn't beyond them to project their
own base motives upon everybody else and assume everybody else would do the
very same things they themselves would do in their place. They totally brushed
aside the gracious reception they received in Joseph's house back in chapter 45 and
replaced his hospitality with their own corrupt imaginations; not to mention the
seventeen years just past when they lived a very good life in Egypt under Joseph's
generous auspices.

Nobody's reputation is safe in the hands of people like that who fail to take into
consideration someone's impeccable track record.

Gen 50:16-17a . . So they sent this message to Joseph: Before his death your
father left this instruction: So shall you say to Joseph; "Forgive, I urge you, the
offense and guilt of your brothers who treated you so harshly". Therefore, please
forgive the offense of the servants of the God of your father.

Gen 50:17b . . And Joseph was in tears as they spoke to him.

The people referred to as "they" were not the brothers, but rather, the messengers
they sent.

* It wouldn't surprise me if that message from Jacob were a fraud.

Gen 50:18-21 . . His brothers went to him themselves, flung themselves before
him, and said: We are prepared to be your slaves. But Joseph said to them: Have
no fear. Am I a substitute for God? Besides, although you intended me harm, God
intended it for good, so as to bring about the present result-- the survival of many
people. And so, fear not. I will sustain you and your children. Thus he reassured
them, speaking kindly to them.

They say repetition is an effective teaching aid; and it's probably because some
people just don't pay attention. Joseph had already made a similar speech to his
brothers once before already in chapter 45 and here he is having to do it all over
again. Their lack of trust in his word as a man of honor and integrity is just
unforgivable.
_

Gen 50:22-26 . . So Joseph and his father's household remained in Egypt. Joseph
lived one hundred and ten years. Joseph lived to see children of the third
generation of Ephraim: the children of Machir, son of Manasseh, were likewise born
upon Joseph's knees.

. . . At length, Joseph said to his kin: I am about to die. God will surely take notice
of you and bring you up from this land to the land that He promised on oath to
Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob. So Joseph made the children of Israel swear,
saying: When God has taken notice of you, you shall carry up my bones from here.

. . . Joseph died at the age of one hundred and ten years; and he was embalmed
and placed in a coffin in Egypt.

Considering Joseph's station in life, his coffin was likely an ornate mummy case; and
kept in storage someplace where the Jews wouldn't forget it-- as they say: Out of
sight, out of mind. Did Joseph ever make it back home again? Yes; he finally did.

"Now the Israelites went up armed out of the land of Egypt. And Moses took with
him the bones of Joseph, who had exacted an oath from the children of Israel,
saying: God will be sure to take notice of you; then you shall carry up my bones
from here with you." (Ex 13:18-19)

"The bones of Joseph, which the Israelites had brought up from Egypt, were buried
at Shechem, in the piece of ground which Jacob had bought for a hundred kesitahs
from the children of Hamor, Shechem's father, and which had become a heritage of
Joseph's progeny." (Josh 24:32)

Genesis records Jacob purchasing the property (Gen 33:17-20). But Stephen said it
was Abraham's transaction (Acts 7:15-16) which strongly suggests that the county
recorder in the community of Shechem was a bit careless with his paperwork and
let Abraham's deed slip through a crack; necessitating Jacob pay for the lot all over
again; likely at a higher price the second time around.

-- The End --

Back
Top Bottom