To test-or fault finding?

Johann

GREEK TERMS FOR TESTING AND THEIR CONNOTATIONS

I was confused by the relationship between Matt. 6:13 and James 1:13. They seem to contradict each other. The answer came in the connotation of two Greek terms.

 There are two Greek terms which have the connotation of testing, trying, or tempting someone for a purpose.

Dokimazō, Dokimion, Dokimasia
 This term is a metalurgist term for testing the genuineness of something (i.e., metaphorically someone) by fire (see SPECIAL TOPIC: FIRE). The fire reveals the true metal and burns off (i.e., impurities) the dross. This physical process became a powerful idiom for God and/or Satan and/or humans testing others. This term is only used in a positive sense of testing with a view towards acceptance.

 It is used in the NT of testing
oxen ‒ Luke 14:19
ourselves ‒ 1 Cor. 11:28
our faith ‒ James. 1:3
even God ‒ Heb. 3:9

The outcomes of these tests were assumed to be positive (cf. Rom. 2:18; 14:22; 16:10; 2 Cor. 10:18; 13:3,7; Phil. 2:27; 1 Pet. 1:7), therefore, the term conveys the idea of someone examined and approved

to be worthwhile
to be good
to be genuine
to be valuable
to be honored

Peirazō, Peirasmus
This term often has the connotation of examination for the purpose of fault finding or rejection. It is used in connection to Jesus' temptation in the wilderness (cf. Matthew 4; Luke 4).
It conveys the attempt to trap Jesus (cf. Matt. 4:1; 16:1; 19:3; 22:18, 35; Mark 1:13; Luke 4:2; Heb. 2:18).
This term (peirazōn) is used as a title for Satan in Matt. 4:3; 1 Thess. 3:5

Usage

It was used by Jesus warning humans not to test God (cf. Matt. 4:7; Luke 4:12, [or Christ cf. 1 Cor 10:9]).
It also denotes the attempt to do something that has failed (cf. Heb.11:29).
It is used in connection with the temptation and trials of believers (cf. 1 Cor. 7:5; 10:9, 13; Gal. 6:1; 1 Thess. 3:5; Heb. 2:18; James. 1:2, 13, 14; 1 Pet. 4:12; 2 Pet 2:9).

In Hebrews 3:9 they are both used in a synonymous relationship. Words have meaning only in contexts!

Copyright © 2014 Bible Lessons International

Do take the time in looking up the Scripture references.
Johann.

(Copyright © 2014 Bible Lessons International)​
I was confused by the relationship between Matt. 6:13 and James 1:13. They seem to contradict each other. The answer came in the connotation of two Greek terms.​
'And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.'

(Mat 6:13)

'Blessed is the man that endureth temptation:
for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life,
which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God:
for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth He any man:

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin:
and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.'

(Jas 1:12-15)
There are two Greek terms which have the connotation of testing, trying, or tempting someone for a purpose.:-​
Dokimion, Dokimasia
This term is a metalurgist term for testing the genuineness of something (i.e., metaphorically someone) by fire (see SPECIAL TOPIC: FIRE). The fire reveals the true metal and burns off (i.e., impurities) the dross. This physical process became a powerful idiom for God and/or Satan and/or humans testing others. This term is only used in a positive sense of testing with a view towards acceptance.
It is used in the NT of testing:-
- oxen ‒ Luke 14:19
- ourselves ‒ 1 Cor. 11:28
- our faith ‒ James. 1:3
- even God ‒ Heb. 3:9
The outcomes of these tests were assumed to be positive (cf. Rom. 2:18; 14:22; 16:10; 2 Cor. 10:18; 13:3,7; Phil. 2:27; 1 Pet. 1:7), therefore, the term conveys the idea of someone examined and approved

- to be worthwhile​
- to be good​
- to be genuine​
- to be valuable​
- to be honored​

Peirazō, Peirasmus
This term often has the connotation of examination for the purpose of fault finding or rejection. It is used in connection to Jesus' temptation in the wilderness (cf. Matthew 4; Luke 4).​
It conveys the attempt to trap Jesus (cf. Matt. 4:1; 16:1; 19:3; 22:18, 35; Mark 1:13; Luke 4:2; Heb. 2:18).​
This term (peirazōn) is used as a title for Satan in Matt. 4:3; 1 Thess. 3:5​
Usage
It was used by Jesus warning humans not to test God (cf. Matt. 4:7; Luke 4:12, [or Christ cf. 1 Cor 10:9]).
It is used in connection with the temptation and trials of believers (cf. 1 Cor. 7:5; 10:9, 13; Gal. 6:1; 1 Thess. 3:5; Heb. 2:18; James. 1:2, 13, 14; 1 Pet. 4:12; 2 Pet 2:9).

In Hebrews 3:9 they are both used in a synonymous relationship. Words have meaning only in contexts!
Do take the time in looking up the Scripture references.​
Johann.​
* Thank you, @Johann,

This is a thought provoking and interesting study. I am in the process of checking all the references associated with each word.

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Hello @Johann,

Reference is made, in the above, to a special topic entitled 'Fire'. I would be interested in seeing this. Where will I find it?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Hi @Complete
With pleasure.

Dr. Bob Utley-a pastor in hermeneutics and biblically sound-don't get put of on "commentary" since this massive work, mp3 and Youtube is all freely available.

FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR'S INTENT AT PARAGRAPH LEVEL

This is a study guide commentary, which means that you are responsible for your own interpretation of the Bible. Each of us must walk in the light we have. You, the Bible, and the Holy Spirit are priority in interpretation. You must not relinquish this to a commentator.

FIRE
(BDB 77, KB 92)

Fire has both positive and negative connotations in Scripture.

Positive
warms (cf. Isa. 44:15; John 18:18)
lights (cf. Isa. 50:11; Matt. 25:1-13)
cooks (cf. Exod. 12:8; Isa. 44:15-16; John 21:9)
purifies (cf. Num. 31:22-23; Prov. 17:3; Isa. 1:25; 6:6-8; Jer. 6:29; Mal. 3:2-3)
God's holiness (cf. Gen. 15:17; Exod. 3:2; 19:18; Ezek. 1:27; Heb. 12:29)
God's leadership (cf. Exod. 13:21; Num. 14:14; 1 Kgs. 18:24)
God's empowering (cf. Acts 2:3)
God's protection (cf. Zech. 2:5)

Negative
burns (cf. Josh. 6:24; 8:8; 11:11; Matt. 22:7)
destroys (cf. Gen. 19:24; Lev. 10:1-2)
anger (cf. Num. 21:28; Isa. 10:16; Zech. 12:6)
punishment (cf. Gen. 38:24; Lev. 20:14; 21:9; Josh. 7:15)
false eschatological sign (cf. Rev. 13:13)

God's anger against sin is often expressed in fire imagery
His anger burns (cf. Hos. 8:5; Zeph. 3:8)
He pours out fire (cf. Nah. 1:6)
eternal fire (cf. Jer. 15:14; 17:4; Matt. 25:41; Jude v. 7)
eschatological judgment (cf. Matt. 3:10; 5:22; 13:40; John 15:6; 2 Thess. 1:7; 2 Pet. 3:7-10; Rev. 8:7; 16:8; 20:14-15)

Fire often appears in theophanies. The NIDOTTE, vol. 1, p. 534, has a good list of how God revealed Himself and His will using "fire" imagery.
God as a flaming torch ‒ Gen. 15:17
God appeared in a burning bush ‒ Exod. 3:2
pillar of fire ‒ Exod. 13:21,22; 14:24; Num. 9:15; 14:14; Ps. 78:14; 105:39
spoke revelation from the midst of the fire ‒ Deut. 4:12,15,33,36; 5:4,22,24,26; 9:10; 10:4
connected to His descent on Mt Sinai ‒ Exod. 19:18; 24:17
in lightning ‒ Isa. 29:6; 30:27,30; Ps. 50:3
cleaning fire of judgment
personal presence comes in fire ‒ Isa. 66:15-16

Like so much imagery in the Bible (i.e., leaven, lion) fire can be a blessing or a curse depending on the context.

May our Lord Christ Jesus and the Holy Spirit continue to illuminate the Scriptures-

Shalom
Johann.

Last edited:
Lol- ol' sport-taking a liking to Uncle Bob?
J.

I like him... started Galatians and watched a sermon or two, smart and solid. I will probably watch some more.

Kind of.... very standard Baptist feeling, and didn't handle tongues with integrity, but I'm a forgiving guy, I look past the grit for the grain.

But the reason I gave the link is I like to help the tech-challenged, not any implicit support.

I like him... started Galatians and watched a sermon or two, smart and solid. I will probably watch some more.

Kind of.... very standard Baptist feeling, and didn't handle tongues with integrity, but I'm a forgiving guy, I look past the grit for the grain.

But the reason I gave the link is I like to help the tech-challenged, not any implicit support.
Same here-eat the chicken-spit out the sticks-but I simply love him.
Good to know you are a forgiving kind of guy.
Shalom
J.

This is a study guide commentary, which means that you are responsible for your own interpretation of the Bible. Each of us must walk in the light we have. You, the Bible, and the Holy Spirit are priority in interpretation. You must not relinquish this to a commentator.

I like this. Thank you

:)

I was confused by the relationship between Matt. 6:13 and James 1:13. They seem to contradict each other. The answer came in the connotation of two Greek terms.

 There are two Greek terms which have the connotation of testing, trying, or tempting someone for a purpose.

to be worthwhile
to be good
to be genuine
to be valuable
to be honored

Peirazō, Peirasmus
This term often has the connotation of examination for the purpose of fault finding or rejection. It is used in connection to Jesus' temptation in the wilderness (cf. Matthew 4; Luke 4).
It conveys the attempt to trap Jesus (cf. Matt. 4:1; 16:1; 19:3; 22:18, 35; Mark 1:13; Luke 4:2; Heb. 2:18).

Usage

Johann.
For whatever it's worth, in modern Greek dokimazo means to taste/try/make use of. Peirazo means to aggravate/annoy.

to be worthwhile
to be good
to be genuine
to be valuable
to be honored

Peirazō, Peirasmus

Usage

Johann.
I appreciate this study.

I have one of his books in my library and I don't remember which one I will have to go find it lol. But I'm pretty sure if my memory is good its the one on hermenuetics.

Back
Top Bottom