The three Greek L's for worship in reference to the Lord Jesus

Fred

latreia (Strong's #2999)

latreuō (Strong's #3000)

leitourgeō (Strong's #3008)

latreia (Strong's #2999)
Romans 12:1
Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship.

It pleases God when one offers his/her body as a holy and living sacrifice to Him. This constitutes worship = rendering Him latreia.

The Christian is to do the same in reference to Jesus thereby proving He is the proper recipient of latreia and is to be worshiped as being God.

1 Corinthians 7:22, 32-34
(22) For he who is called by the Lord as a slave is the Lord’s freedman. Likewise he who is called as a free man is Christ's slave.
(32) I want you to be without concerns. An unmarried man is concerned about the things of the Lord—how he may please the Lord.
(33) But a married man is concerned about the things of the world—how he may please his wife—
(34) and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or a virgin is concerned about the things of the Lord, so that she may be holy both in body and in spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the things of the world—how she may please her husband.

Verse 22 and 32
A slave of Christ is a worshiper of Christ - and pleasing Him (v. 32) is used in association with worshiping Him (v. 22).
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/a-slave-of-christ-yhwh.558/#post-12853

Verse 34
This worship that pleases the Lord Jesus is to be done in holiness in the believer's body.

This worship that pleases the Lord Jesus in the believer's body is also seen here:
2 Corinthians 5:6-11
(6) So, we are always confident and know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord.
(7) For we walk by faith, not by sight,
(8) and we are confident and satisfied to be out of the body and at home with the Lord.
(9) Therefore, whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to be pleasing to Him.
(10) For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, so that each may be recompensed for what he has done in the body, whether good or bad.
(11) Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade men, but we are made manifest to God, and I hope we are made manifest also in your consciences.

-- To fear the Lord Jesus (Acts 9:31; 2 Corinthians 5:11; Colossians 3:22) involves worshiping Him and not idols (2 Kings 17:36-39).

That the believer's body is for the Lord Jesus is used in association with being joined to the Lord Jesus. This entails worshiping Jesus as being YHWH.
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/jesus-is-the-lord-yhwh-in-1-corinthians-10-26-psalm-24-1-cf-deuteronomy-6-4.216/#post-3938
Such actions would be pleasing to Him.
1 Corinthians 6:13-17
(13) “Food for the stomach and the stomach for food,” but God will do away with both of them. The body is not for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.
(14) God raised up the Lord and will also raise us up by His power.
(15) Don’t you know that your bodies are a part of Christ's body? So should I take a part of Christ’s body and make it part of a prostitute? Absolutely not!
(16) Don’t you know that anyone joined to a prostitute is one body with her? For Scripture says, The two will become one flesh.
(17) But anyone joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.

Philippians 1:20 (cf. 2 Corinthians 5:8-9 in reference to all believers)
My eager expectation and hope is that I will not be ashamed about anything, but that now as always, with all boldness, Christ will be highly honored in my body, whether by life or by death.

latreuō (Strong's #3000)
For latreuō in reference to the Lord Jesus see the following two links:
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/those-who-deny-the-lord-jesus-is-god-yhwh-are-not-saved-2-corinthians-11-4.660/page-17#post-18731
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/the-trinity-made-easy.87/page-4#post-3446

leitourgeō (Strong's #3008)
Acts 13:2
While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”
2 Chronicles 13:10
But as for us, the LORD is our God, and we have not forsaken Him; and the sons of Aaron are ministering to the LORD as priests, and the Levites attend to their work.

Since Christians are priests of...Christ (Revelation 20:6) they would be expected to minister to Christ the Lord.
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/a-priest-of-christ-a-worshiper-of-christ-yhwh.667/#post-17719

Acts 13:2-3
(2) While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”
(3) Then, when they had fasted and prayed and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

The "Lord" to whom leitourgeō is being rendered is used in association with prayer and fasting (Acts 13:2-3) in reference to the Lord Jesus. (Acts 14:23).
Acts 14:23
When they had appointed elders for them in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

And "the Lord in whom they believed" (Acts 14:23) refers to the Lord Jesus (Acts 16:31).
Acts 16:31
They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom