The reign of Christ - When will it be?

Jesus is reigning in my heart right now. But there is the “already but not yet” paradigm.

The theological concept of “already but not yet” holds that believers are actively taking part in the kingdom of God, although the kingdom will not reach its full expression until sometime in the future. We are “already” in the kingdom, but we do “not yet” see it in its glory. The “already but not yet” theology is related to kingdom theology or inaugurated eschatology.

It is a very popular belief that Christ will return (he will) and reign on earth for a 1000 years

I however think the following passage teaches otherwise

1 Corinthians 15:20–55 (ESV) — 20 But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But each in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ. 24 Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27 For “God has put all things in subjection under his feet.” But when it says, “all things are put in subjection,” it is plain that he is excepted who put all things in subjection under him. 28 When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things in subjection under him, that God may be all in all. 29 Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf? 30 Why are we in danger every hour? 31 I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day! 32 What do I gain if, humanly speaking, I fought with beasts at Ephesus? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.” 33 Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” 34 Wake up from your drunken stupor, as is right, and do not go on sinning. For some have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame. 35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they come?” 36 You foolish person! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. 37 And what you sow is not the body that is to be, but a bare kernel, perhaps of wheat or of some other grain. 38 But God gives it a body as he has chosen, and to each kind of seed its own body. 39 For not all flesh is the same, but there is one kind for humans, another for animals, another for birds, and another for fish. 40 There are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is of one kind, and the glory of the earthly is of another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory. 42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. 50 I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. 53 For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. 54 When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.” 55 “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”

Christ reign is to last until all enemies have been defeated. Death is the last enemy. According to the text death is defeated at Christ's return. That would seem to indicate Christ reign precedes not follows his return

as verse 24 seems to indicate

1 Corinthians 15:24 (ESV) — 24 Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power.

Then cometh the end eita (grk 1534) to (grk 3588) telos (grk 5056). No verb ginetai (grk 1096) in the Greek. Supply "at his coming," the end or consummation of the age or world <Matthew. 13:39,49; 1Peter. 4:7>. (from Robertson’s Word Pictures in the New Testament)

Christ reign therefor would be now in the church and indeed scripture does speak of Christ's exaltation and supremacy in the church

Acts 2:32–36 (ESV) — 32 This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses. 33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing. 34 For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says, “ ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, 35 until I make your enemies your footstool.” ’ 36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”

Ephesians 1:20–22 (ESV) — 20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church,

Where he is seated at the Father's side and his enemies are being made his footstool.

Eschatology is of course a very difficult topic and there are varieties of opinion

1 Cor chapter 15 is in perfect Harmony with Revelation chapter 20.

1,000 Year Reign with Christ ruling the nations and AFTER that is completed the Last Enemy/Second Death is thrown in the Lake of Fire.

Currently AND including Christ's Return, the Second Death is defeated ONLY in CHRIST = NOW, TODAY = If you hear His Voice!

Rev ch2
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”

Last edited:
No, God did it. The question becomes, do you believe that God doesn't have a purpose in partially blinding them? I mean, God did state it through Paul, (calvinistic), but your belief could trump that right?
i AGREE with you as does Scripture - God did blind them = ONLY after they rejected His Son = this is how the Righteousness of God Judges men = no distinction between Jew & Gentile for ALL have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God.

If you read Revelation 20, it tells us exactly what it means that Satan is bound.

Rev 20 "Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding the key of the abyss and a great chain [a]in his hand. 2 And he took hold of the dragon, the serpent of old, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; 3 and he threw him into the abyss and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he would not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were completed; after these things he must be released for a short time."

If you look at what he does the moment he is released, it puts into focus what is meant by this.

"7 When the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his prison, 8 and will come out to deceive the nations which are at the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together for the war; the number of them is like the sand of the [c]seashore. 9 And they came up on the [d]broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the [e]saints and the beloved city, and fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and [f]brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever."

So, He deceived them for the first battle at Megiddo, (where they arrayed themselves against the one who rode on the white horse), and is imprisoned so he cannot deceive the nations for a time. As soon as he is released, he goes out and deceives the nation to battle one last time. He loses again.

And the last two verses " 14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if [k]anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."

That is the defeat of the final enemy, death. Death has no power over believers, but... death still reigns over the non-believer.
Do you believe that satan is locked up in prison right now?

Revelation is a very symbolic and difficult book filled with all kinds of symbols and figurative language. There exist multiple interpretations of the book spread across various eschatologies. I do not judge clear passages of scripture by the unclear
The CLEAR passages of Scripture are the Open Door to understanding the parables, allegories and symbolism.

CLEAR takes precedent over symbolic = "God is not the author of confusion."

The CLEAR passages of Scripture are the Open Door to understanding the parables, allegories and symbolism.

CLEAR takes precedent over symbolic = "God is not the author of confusion."
Yes, that is correct. Unfortunately many approach the issue from an opposite starting point.

1 Cor chapter 15 is in perfect Harmony with Revelation chapter 20.

1,000 Year Reign with Christ ruling the nations and AFTER that is completed the Last Enemy/Second Death is thrown in the Lake of Fire.

Currently AND including Christ's Return, the Second Death is defeated ONLY in CHRIST = NOW, TODAY = If you hear His Voice!

Rev ch2
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”
Um 1Cor 15 places the resurrection at Christs second advent

It is a very popular belief that Christ will return (he will) and reign on earth for a 1000 years

I however think the following passage teaches otherwise

1 Corinthians 15:20–55 (ESV) — 20 But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But each in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ. 24 Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27 For “God has put all things in subjection under his feet.” But when it says, “all things are put in subjection,” it is plain that he is excepted who put all things in subjection under him. 28 When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things in subjection under him, that God may be all in all. 29 Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf? 30 Why are we in danger every hour? 31 I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day! 32 What do I gain if, humanly speaking, I fought with beasts at Ephesus? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.” 33 Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” 34 Wake up from your drunken stupor, as is right, and do not go on sinning. For some have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame. 35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they come?” 36 You foolish person! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. 37 And what you sow is not the body that is to be, but a bare kernel, perhaps of wheat or of some other grain. 38 But God gives it a body as he has chosen, and to each kind of seed its own body. 39 For not all flesh is the same, but there is one kind for humans, another for animals, another for birds, and another for fish. 40 There are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is of one kind, and the glory of the earthly is of another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory. 42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. 50 I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. 53 For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. 54 When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.” 55 “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”

Christ reign is to last until all enemies have been defeated. Death is the last enemy. According to the text death is defeated at Christ's return. That would seem to indicate Christ reign precedes not follows his return

as verse 24 seems to indicate

1 Corinthians 15:24 (ESV) — 24 Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power.

Then cometh the end eita (grk 1534) to (grk 3588) telos (grk 5056). No verb ginetai (grk 1096) in the Greek. Supply "at his coming," the end or consummation of the age or world <Matthew. 13:39,49; 1Peter. 4:7>. (from Robertson’s Word Pictures in the New Testament)

Christ reign therefor would be now in the church and indeed scripture does speak of Christ's exaltation and supremacy in the church

Acts 2:32–36 (ESV) — 32 This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses. 33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing. 34 For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says, “ ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, 35 until I make your enemies your footstool.” ’ 36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”

Ephesians 1:20–22 (ESV) — 20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church,

Where he is seated at the Father's side and his enemies are being made his footstool.

Eschatology is of course a very difficult topic and there are varieties of opinion
Though I believe there will be a millennium, you know .. just because.

The thought that came to mind as I looked at the subject of the thread was like the question.

When will Christ reign in us? Really Reign. .. along those lines.

Thanks.

Ok It also appears to be the end of his reign and when he hands the kingdom over to the Father
But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming. 24Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. 25For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. 26The last enemy that will be destroyed is death.

Paul did not say that at His Coming is when Christ hand's over the kingdom.

At His Coming is the Beginning of Christ's Reign with us being apart of that Reign, thus verse 24 = "THEN comes the end, WHEN.........

When Paul wrote 1 Corinthians he did not have the Revelation Details. That was given to the Apostle John.

Paul did have the SAME Holy Spirit as John and 1 Corinthians AGREES with Revelation.

If, Paul did know about Revelation, he did not want to build upon another man's work/writings AND neither did he, at anytime, contradict Revelation.

The Apostle Peter also expressed this in his Epistle: 2 Peter 3:16

Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; 15and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming. 24Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. 25For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. 26The last enemy that will be destroyed is death.

Paul did not say that at His Coming is when Christ hand's over the kingdom.

At His Coming is the Beginning of Christ's Reign with us being apart of that Reign, thus verse 24 = "THEN comes the end, WHEN.........

When Paul wrote 1 Corinthians he did not have the Revelation Details. That was given to the Apostle John.

Paul did have the SAME Holy Spirit as John and 1 Corinthians AGREES with Revelation.

If, Paul did know about Revelation, he did not want to build upon another man's work/writings AND neither did he, at anytime, contradict Revelation.

The Apostle Peter also expressed this in his Epistle: 2 Peter 3:16

Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; 15and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.
1 Corinthians 15:25–28 (KJV 1900) — 25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. 28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Christ reigns until the last enemy is defeated

Death is the last enemy defeated

Death is defeated at Christ's return

1 Corinthians 15:22–23 (KJV 1900) — 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming......

1 Corinthians 15:51–57 (KJV 1900) — 51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. 55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Though I believe there will be a millennium, you know .. just because.

The thought that came to mind as I looked at the subject of the thread was like the question.

When will Christ reign in us? Really Reign. .. along those lines.

Thanks.
OK

Ephesians 1:20–23 (ESV) — 20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.

sounds like a reign to me

1 Corinthians 15:25–28 (KJV 1900) — 25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. 28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Christ reigns until the last enemy is defeated

Death is the last enemy defeated

Death is defeated at Christ's return

1 Corinthians 15:22–23 (KJV 1900) — 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming......

1 Corinthians 15:51–57 (KJV 1900) — 51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. 55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Please do not confuse the TWO Deaths = a.) physical death and (b) the Second Death

Death has already been defeated by Christ = Hebrews 2:14
Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Death has already been defeated by Christ = Revelation 1:18
Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.

Death has already been defeated by Christ = John 11:26
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.
And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.
@TomL Do you believe this?”

Back
Top Bottom