The New Covenant Command to Not Forsake Assembling Together

dwight92070

Hebrews 10:23-25
"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near."

A Preface to my Main Point:

The New Covenant in Jeremiah 31:31-37 is addressed to the house of Israel and the house of Judah, which speaks of a community of godly people, originally only Jews. But within decades of the actual start of that covenant, at the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus, the Jews were clearly told that the Gentiles were also invited, through Christ, the Jewish Messiah, to become "children of God". Romans 8:16

We were "grafted in among them (Jews who believed that Jesus was their Messiah) and became partaker with them (i.e. in the New Covenant) of the rich root of the olive tree (i.e. true Israel, the remnant of godly Jews). Romans 11:17

Peter was given the revelation that Gentiles were also welcomed to God through Jesus. Acts 10:34-35
Paul was given the same revelation when Jesus Himself called him to "bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel; " in Acts 9:15
In fact, Paul called himself "Inasmuch then as I am an apostle of Gentiles" Rom. 11:13

So now, both believing Jews and Gentiles are the true Israel, the church of God.

My Main Point

As such, we are commanded to regularly assemble with fellow believers, fellow members of the body of Christ, the true Israel, also known as the remnant of Israel or the olive tree of Romans 11.

I have often gotten the impression that some contributors to this forum (and most likely, any forum) seem to be loners, i.e. they have such bizarre teachings, or in some cases not bizarre but false teachings, that they would be hard-pressed to find another person who agrees with them. Consequently, it would be difficult or impossible for them to "fellowship" with like-minded people.

The only exception to this, it seems to me, is a cult, where all members agree with a particular false doctrine or false doctrines, and therefore their "fellowship" is comprised almost entirely around those doctrines.

Unfortunately, there are "churches" that "fellowship" entirely around Calvinism or Dispensationalism or Sabbatarianism or King James Only or New Age or Christian Science, etc. etc. I don't believe the first four here are necessarily cults, but they are cultic. Why? Because everything revolves around their pet doctrine instead of around Jesus' and the apostle's teachings. Also, when the whole church revolves around one charismatic individual, you have a cultic situation, if not a full-blown cult. By the way, I suppose a church could exist that revolves around amillennialism, (which I believe), but I've never seen or heard of one.

In light of all of that, it behooves each of us to at least be willing to identify what group of people we fellowship with. If they're not willing to do that, or if they're not even part of a group, then their credibility is zilch, or at least highly questionably. I'm not speaking primarily of denominations here, but that could be a starting point. Are there particular doctrines that everyone in your group adheres to? Are those doctrines the basis of your fellowship with them? Do you even belong to a group or are you a loner?

If an individual on this forum (or anywhere, for that matter) cannot obey this particular tenet of Christianity, then we can't really give much credence to anything he says.

If anyone on this forum is not obeying Hebrews 10:23-25, then I believe they should repent and get plugged into a Christian group who fellowships around Jesus and His teachings and His apostle's teachings. If you can't find one, then maybe God is leading you to start one. If you don't want to do that, then maybe you should move to where a good Christian church fellowship exists. Why go to that trouble? Because Jesus said, "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

My wife and I (and our 4 kids, before they left home)have been part of a nondenominational homechurch since 2001. We have one pastor (not a plurality of pastors) and we meet in his home each Sunday morning. My pastor and I disagree on a few issues, but we don't let that interfere with our friendship and mutual respect. The main "theme" if you could call it that is: "Love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength" and "love your neighbor as yourself".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom