The Acts 2 church

Paul most likely witnessed Jesus death as a member of the Sanhedrin and was educated in Jerusalem at the feet of Gamaliel. It was Saul who consented put Stephen to death and a decision that was made by the council of the Sanhedrin. In Acts Paul testifies as to casting his vote to persecute and kill Christians. It was the ruling party of the Jews , the Sanhedrin who put Jesus to death to which Paul declares he was the Pharisee of all Pharisees. So he was most likely a witness of Christs death.

hope this helps !!!

I was researching the Sanhedrin and Paul this morning and came across a good article for those interested to see if Saul/Paul was a member of this ruling group in Jerusalem.

Just a thought. I wonder how different we would think it is being in the early church. It would have been exciting having seen Jesus and knowing him in the flesh......although we know him in the Spirit.....but to not have the scriptures where you don't have your own copy as they were not written for a few years after Jesus ascended. Which makes me wonder.....even though what we know as Matt, Mark, Luke, John weren't written to years later.....must

have been some making some type of marks of paper when or shortly after Jesus was preaching. But for the early Christians I mean two or three years after Jesus ascended.....not to be able to open a New Testament like we can.....I think we would think of that as strange.

Just a thought. I wonder how different we would think it is being in the early church. It would have been exciting having seen Jesus and knowing him in the flesh......although we know him in the Spirit.....but to not have the scriptures where you don't have your own copy as they were not written for a few years after Jesus ascended. Which makes me wonder.....even though what we know as Matt, Mark, Luke, John weren't written to years later.....must

have been some making some type of marks of paper when or shortly after Jesus was preaching. But for the early Christians I mean two or three years after Jesus ascended.....not to be able to open a New Testament like we can.....I think we would think of that as strange.
I think one of the advantages the 12 had was the promise Jesus made specifically to them. That when the Comforter comes to them that He would send that He would bring all the things Jesus had taught them to their remembrance. So they had the power, guiding, leading of the Holy Spirit of promise with them everywhen they went who spoke to them and through them. So in many ways they had an advantage over us but in other ways we have all the teachings to reference in our N.T. 24/7.

I think one of the advantages the 12 had was the promise Jesus made specifically to them. That when the Comforter comes to them that He would send that He would bring all the things Jesus had taught them to their remembrance. So they had the power, guiding, leading of the Holy Spirit of promise with them everywhen they went who spoke to them and through them. So in many ways they had an advantage over us but in other ways we have all the teachings to reference in our N.T. 24/7.
All true. Other things I wonder about. Let's call it 4 years after Jesus ascended. We see in Acts 4 how they basically functioned as a church ......but what does that really look like. If you were in a home where they went house to house for fellowship....they'd have word of exhortation they'd give each other.....but we think of a 40 minute sermon.....song teams choirs none of that was the case in a general coming together. Not at least in a regimented way that we do it today like 3 point sermons and a close.

They for sure would sing a hymn but not anything like something written in the 1800s. James it's thought of became a leader or pillar of the church. And i wonder about Peter. We know he went to Galatia and Rome....we read of him in Acts 10 with Cornelius. But where for the most part did Peter live? Did he stay in the Jerusalem area or did he still stay around Galilee? Did he still do fishing as a trade? When it states they left all and followed him (Jesus) doesn't mean they left all trades forever. But they left all and followed Jesus during his ministry. So what was it Peter and others did in life? And all the other Apostles? We sure see what Paul the later Apostle did. But what about all the others? And what about the Galilee region the places where Jesus did most of his

ministry.....the memory of what Jesus did in their regions would not be soon forgotten. Were there gathering of believers that met in those regions as well as Jerusalem? I think sometimes we get the wrong impression. When Jesus was on trial many say where were most of those people he healed and delivered and did good things for? Why weren't they at the trial backing up Jesus in the court? Well, the great masses lived in towns and regions hundreds of miles away. They wouldn't even have known what was happening to Jesus.

All true. Other things I wonder about. Let's call it 4 years after Jesus ascended. We see in Acts 4 how they basically functioned as a church ......but what does that really look like. If you were in a home where they went house to house for fellowship....they'd have word of exhortation they'd give each other.....but we think of a 40 minute sermon.....song teams choirs none of that was the case in a general coming together. Not at least in a regimented way that we do it today like 3 point sermons and a close.

They for sure would sing a hymn but not anything like something written in the 1800s. James it's thought of became a leader or pillar of the church. And i wonder about Peter. We know he went to Galatia and Rome....we read of him in Acts 10 with Cornelius. But where for the most part did Peter live? Did he stay in the Jerusalem area or did he still stay around Galilee? Did he still do fishing as a trade? When it states they left all and followed him (Jesus) doesn't mean they left all trades forever. But they left all and followed Jesus during his ministry. So what was it Peter and others did in life? And all the other Apostles? We sure see what Paul the later Apostle did. But what about all the others? And what about the Galilee region the places where Jesus did most of his

ministry.....the memory of what Jesus did in their regions would not be soon forgotten. Were their gathering of believers that met in those regions as well as Jerusalem? I think sometimes we get the wrong impression. When Jesus was on trial many say where were most of those people he healed and delivered and did good things for? Why weren't they at the trial backing up Jesus in the court? Well, the great masses lived in towns and regions hundreds of miles away. They wouldn't even have known what was happening to Jesus.
Great points and this is another reason I enjoy home groups/life groups and mens discipleship groups so much better than a church service which is a monologue. In the small group setting we can see Gods diverse gifts being used within those groups in ministering to others. Also people become more open about their life, struggles and things they want prayer with and you can bear one anothers burdens within those groups which you are unable to do in a typical sunday service. You build lasting relationships in the smaller group settings.

And it’s much closer to how Christianity was practiced in the early church.

Great points and this is another reason I enjoy home groups/life groups and mens discipleship groups so much better than a church service which is a monologue. In the small group setting we can see Gods diverse gifts being used within those groups in ministering to others. Also people become more open about their life, struggles and things they want prayer with and you can bear one anothers burdens within those groups which you are unable to do in a typical sunday service. You build lasting relationships in the smaller group settings.

And it’s much closer to how Christianity was practiced in the early church.
I totally agree.

Back
Top Bottom