Saul of Tarsus & The Roman Letter

jeremiah1five

The Apostle Saul's theology revolved around what’s called the Halakah of the Pharisees.
Saul thinks, speaks, and writes and instructs using the Halakah he learned at the feet of Gamaliel.
Since meeting his Messiah on the road to Damascus, Saul somewhere and somehow began assimilating a new Halakah, the Halakah taught by Yeshua of Nazareth.

Saul's dilemma was this: Yeshua told him he was to be the emissary of this new Halakah learned from Christ. The problem was there was no school to teach this because Jesus was now in heaven and Messianic Judaism knew nothing of this "new thing" God was doing in the earth and the Promised New Covenant (Jer. 31:31-34) was now upon the House of Israel. Beside this, there was no precedent in Jewish history for offering salvation to Gentiles on faith in God. So, Saul had to think it through and come to some conclusions and establish solutions and make rulings to go by. In other words, from Saul's perspective as a rabbi he was establishing Messianic Halakah, a Halakah that included the advent of Messiah Yeshua and everything it entailed, as well as the manifestation of the Holy Spirit of Promise upon the people of Israel. This thinking involved much internal debate and processing of information that he didn't necessarily agree with, hence, his seventeen years total out in Arabia and the Middle East boonies allowed him time to consider the Scriptures in his possession (2 Timothy 4:13.)

James, Jesus's half-brother who headed up the Way in Jerusalem wasn't a trained rabbi. James was just a “country” boy who just happened to be the brother of Jesus. On the other hand, Saul taught like a rabbi because he was a formally trained rabbi at one of the two rabbinical schools in Israel. Saul didn't somehow give up all that he was and all he had learned as a Jewish rabbi to start a new Gentile-based religion. Instead, he sought to assimilate these new revelations about Messiah Yeshua into all that he knew as Pharisee. Thus, when Saul makes a point in Romans as he does in his other letters he does so in the style and thought processes of a Jewish rabbi.
And that’s exactly what he did.

The Talmud is a large volume of Jewish writings containing the religious rulings and traditions and customs of Judaism. It operated in a unique way. Rabbis whose thoughts were included in the Talmud used certain standard phrases when commenting on certain matters of Halakah. One of Saul's favorite phrases is “What then shall we say?”
After this comes a discussion of the matter that is under discussion or examination. Evidence is produced usually in the form of Scripture verses. Discussion is engaged and eventually a ruling is made about the matter. Then, as part of the processing Halakah, another rabbi would discredit it who will comment on it and repeat the process as rebuttal. The phrase that is used to indicate that this other rabbi disagrees with the conclusion of the former rabbi is “God Forbid!”

Romans 9:30 through Romans 11:11 is a complete rabbinic thought process. We have the issue presented and then the debate that follows beginning in Romans 9:30. However, Saul is having this debate with himself. He sets up the straw man, then he argues the point. The beginning of this issue at hand is indicated and identified with the phrase, “What then shall we say?” This standard rabbinical device signals that there is at some point a conclusion or ruling to be made in conclusion. Then the person leading this discussion, Saul, will indicate he strongly disagrees with such conclusion and he does it by saying “God forbid!”

The conclusion Saul is battling against within himself is that if Israel has indeed stumbled and now God is including Gentiles, does that mean Israel has permanently fallen away from God and His Covenants? Does it mean that Gentiles are replacing Israel in the salvation bought by the Savior on the cross at Calvary? That is the matter, and the conclusion of the straw man Saul engages in.
Rabbi Saul's answer to this erroneous conclusion is, “God forbid!” Then in the next sentence he states what he considers to be the right ruling, which is, that by means of Israel stumbling, salvation has come to the Gentiles and that all of Israel will be saved (Rom. 11:26.).
So, for him that's the right rule or conclusion.

Most Gentile New Testament commentators who have no idea of Second Temple Judaism or Jewish culture and certainly have no working knowledge of the Talmud look at this erroneous conclusion in Romans 11 about Israel having permanently fallen away and say, “Saul has just admitted Israel's falling away from God forever and Saul is so dismayed by this terrible outcome that he cries out in agony for his fellow Jews, 'Oh God forbid!'” Nothing could be further from the truth. If one is ignorant of how Jewish society, culture, and religion operated in first century New Covenant beginning, how could one come to the correct conclusions about what these Jewish writers meant by what they said in their letters? My point is this, Gentile Christians need to read Saul's letters through the eyes of a rabbi in the first century AD and that is no easy task. When Saul wrote he realized he was restricted by the fact that many who will read his letters along with Jewish Christians are Gentiles who have little means to understand what he's telling them because they have no understanding of Jewish culture or Judaism or the Hebrew Scriptures of Law, Psalms, and Prophets. He tries his best to use terms that Gentiles might understand, terms that may not be an exact fit to what he's trying to communicate but literary terms that Gentiles with a low level or, more likely, no level of biblical knowledge can better understand.

This also brings up another important matter - Who but a Jew in Saul's day can explain to Gentiles with the Hebrew Scriptures what the Hebrew Scriptures meant. Who but a Jew could expound upon what Saul meant in his letters and then explain it to Gentiles? This is why Saul was so firmly synagogue based in his evangelism. He was a practicing Jew and he needed Jewish Christians in the synagogues in Israel and in Gentile lands where the majority of Diaspora Hebrews/Jews lived to be representatives of the faith. He needed believing Jews who had a heart for Gentiles. I’d even say that Saul counted on and depended upon his Jewish brethren to interpret his letters to born-again or even seeking Gentiles. By the end of Saul's century Gentiles began to dominate the “Jesus Movement” and then quickly moved to sever all Jewishness from it to make it a new Gentile religion with a message of all the Jewish writers of the New Covenant suffered from their distortion. Some were accidental, some were intentional. It would not be until early in the 3rd century AD that the New Covenant canon was ordained into existence. By then antisemitism was a basic foundational doctrine of the emerging Gentile church and there was little hope that these New Covenant writings by other Jewish Christians would be properly interpreted and applied by Gentiles who knew nothing of Jewish history, culture, and Second Temple Judaism.

Today, we are living in the era in which the Holy Spirit is moving across the face of this planet and upon Jewish and Gentile believers alike to bring better understanding of the Word of God to God’s people. Since Gentile Christians rely so heavily on the "book" of Romans, it's extremely important that we get it right. It is clear to me that anti-Jewish prejudices which have for centuries tainted the teachings of Gentile Bible academics that the good news in our era and the time of Messiah’s return, we are seeing a movement of Gentile believers towards an openness to rediscovering the Scripture in its Hebrew context.

The Constantinian Gentile Church may not accept what I say, but more true believers will see the truth of it and grab hold of it as the days go by.
Why do I think this? Because it was prophesied 2500 years ago, and I see it happening with my own eyes:

In Zechariah it says that when that time comes ten men speaking all languages of the nations will take hold and grab the cloak of one Jew and say, "we want to go with you because we've heard that God is with you!"

23 Thus saith the Lord of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, Even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, we will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.
Zechariah 8:23.

What then shall we say? That God has cast away his people and replaced His Covenant people with Gentiles?

"God forbid!"

Paul, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, refers to himself as "Paul" from the very start (Romans 1:1).

You should too.

Since you refuse to get this right from the very beginning you will be way off on so much else.

Last edited:
Paul, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, refers to himself as "Paul" from the very start (Romans 1:1).

You should too.

Since you refuse to get this right from the very beginning you will be way off on so much else.
That's fine. Saul can call himself anything. I'm a Christ follower. I'll call him by his Hebrew name. Saul is Hebrew. A respected rabbi and Pharisee, a Jew through and through. I will not disrespect him by addressing him by a Romanized Gentile name. A Hebrew should be addressed by their Hebrew name. It shows respect and dignity. Not "Kike" or "Jew-boy" or anything else. That's the difference between us. You take everything Hebrew or Jewish and re-tag it as Gentile. I take everything Hebrew and Jewish and respect them to call it what they call it. I wouldn't be saved if it were not for the Jews. I am aligned to them; they are not aligned to me. And as a presumed Gentile Christ follower I KNOW I am not in any Hebrew Covenant - even through Christ - because the Scripture doesn't teach Gentiles are in any of the Hebrew Covenants. And like Rahab I'd find it an honor to risk giving my life for a Hebrew/Jew. As is said in a certain movie, "I'll take a bullet for you, Godfather." And that's exactly who and what they are to Gentiles. God-father. One cannot genuinely love Yeshua if they hate or hold indifference towards the people he was born from.

God called him Paul through the angel (Acts 27:23-24).
I wonder about that.
Saul changed his name in order to be more acceptable to Gentiles. It was an evangelical gimmick which worked well for him.
So was Paul (1 Corinthians 11:1).
1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. 1 Cor. 11.

An interesting statement. Guiding Christians at Corinth to follow him as he followed Christ.
By saying this may have created the sectarian schism since the 1st Corinthian letter is the second letter, he wrote them, and he could've said the same thing in that letter "follow me as I follow Christ."
After receiving news about the challenged condition of the Corinthian fellowship from those of Chloe's "house", he chastises them for their idol-worshiping of personalities - something that continues in Gentile churches today (I am of MacArthur, I am of Chuck Smith, I am of Calvin, I am of Raul Ries) - and then continues the problem by asking the Christians there to "be ye followers of me" in chapter 11 verse one.

12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? 1 Cor. 1:12–13.

1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. 1 Cor. 11:1.

It sounds contradictory to what he's chastising them about sectarianism in 1:12-13.
It is very contradictory.

An interesting statement. Guiding Christians at Corinth to follow him as he followed Christ.
By saying this may have created the sectarian schism since the 1st Corinthian letter is the second letter, he wrote them, and he could've said the same thing in that letter "follow me as I follow Christ."

Next time take into consideration 1 Thessalonians 1:6.

Next time take into consideration 1 Thessalonians 1:6.
They suffered affliction together. That is different from Saul dealing with doctrinal division in the Corinthian church that he may have contributed towards and maintained. In Corinth, the problem was about following teachings from various individuals that were in the church and without. Being prominent in the Jewish church always came with developing a following, and disciples were usually present to follow the prominent individuals. That was the Jewish culture of the time present in the Temple and synagogues.

They suffered affliction together. That is different from Saul dealing with doctrinal division in the Corinthian church that he may have contributed towards and maintained. In Corinth, the problem was about following teachings from various individuals that were in the church and without. Being prominent in the Jewish church always came with developing a following, and disciples were usually present to follow the prominent individuals. That was the Jewish culture of the time present in the Temple and synagogues.

2 Corinthians 8:5

Back
Top Bottom