Romans - Outside In

Jews from Rome who had been in Jerusalem for the Passover likely brought back the gospel to some synagogues in Rome.
Andronicus and Junia became followers of Christ before Paul (who probably came to Christ around AD32-35).

Gentiles became followers of Christ in the synagogue that accepted the Christ movement.

In AD49, Claudius gave an edict expelling Jews from Rome. It appears that only Jewish Christians were expelled out of a population of maybe 40,000-50,000 in Rome. ( a 5 square mile city). The gentiles had to create their own form of gatherings after that.

Around AD54, Claudius died and thus Jewish Christians could start returning to Rome.

Paul wrote to the gentiles in about 57/58

Last edited:
Jews from Rome who had been in Jerusalem for the Passover likely brought back the gospel to some synagogues in Rome.
Andronicus and Junia became followers of Christ before Paul (who probably came to Christ in AD33).

Gentiles became followers of Christ in the synagogue that accepted the Christ movement.

In AD49, Claudius gave an edict expelling Jews from Rome. It appears that only Jewish Christians were expelled out of a population of maybe 30,000 in Rome. ( a 5 square mile city). The gentiles had to create their own form of gatherings after that.

Around AD54, Claudius died and thus Jewish Christians could start returning to Rome.

Paul wrote to the gentiles in about 57/58
Yes. The existence of the Greek OT (LXX) was instrumental for having all that happen because the Jewish Diaspora understood Greek much better than Hebrew. That was a major reason why all NT Epistles were written only in Greek.

Looking forward to it. I love history, So if you keenly explain the historical environment those verses were written in, I would greatly appreciate it.
I will do my best. It is a challenge at times to present this in a way that the church will find interesting.

The first session (a total of eight) is an introduction to the class, so nothing is required. The second section is on survey, so a reading of Romans should occur before that session.

As a note, the original video was over 20 minutes long, so the pastor trimmed it significantly for what you are seeing. I will cover much of what we want to accomplish in the introductory session.

I will do my best. It is a challenge at times to present this in a way that the church will find interesting.

The first session (a total of eight) is an introduction to the class, so nothing is required. The second section is on survey, so a reading of Romans should occur before that session.

As a note, the original video was over 20 minutes long, so the pastor trimmed it significantly for what you are seeing. I will cover much of what we want to accomplish in the introductory session.
I'm looking forward to the series Bob. :)

Just a quick update here. The class starts this coming Thursday (7:00 PM EST). This initial class is what I would call Session 0 - Introduction to the class.

No assignments, just come (online or in person). We begin reading or listening for the following week after this introductory class.

Back
Top Bottom