Prayer

civic

Praying to Christ because He is God otherwise the Apostles are guilty of Idolatry and breaking the Lords commandments to have no other gods before Me sayeth the Lord.

John 14:14
"If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

Acts 1:24-26
And they prayed and said, "You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two You have chosen 25to occupy this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place." 26And they drew lots for them, and the lot fell to Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles

Acts 7:55-60
But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God; 56and he said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God." 57But they cried out with a loud voice, and covered their ears and rushed at him with one impulse. 58When they had driven him out of the city, they began stoning him; and the witnesses laid aside their robes at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59They went on stoning Stephen as he called on the Lord and said, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!" 60Then falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them!" Having said this, he fell asleep.

Acts 8:22
"Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours, and pray the Lord that, if possible, the intention of your heart may be forgiven you

1 Corinthians 1:1-2

Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,
2 To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:

2 Cor 12:8-10
Concerning this I implored the Lord three timesthat it might leave me. 9And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

James 1:1-8
James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad: Greetings.
2 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, 3knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 4And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. 7For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord,8being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

1 John 5:14-15
This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him.

1 Corinthians 1:1-2
Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,
2 To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:

To "call upon the name of the Lord" (or similar expressions) means to pray to YHWH/the Everlasting God.
This expression (or similar ones) which means the same thing as what was affirmed above is used in reference to the Lord Jesus in the New Testament in the following passages:
Acts 2:21
Acts 9:14
Acts 9:21
Acts 22:16
Romans 10:12
Romans 10:13
Romans 10:14
1 Corinthians 1:2
2 Timothy 2:22

Genesis 21:33
Then Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and there called on the name of the LORD, the Everlasting God.

In calling on the name of the Lord (v. 24), Elijah prays to the Lord/YHWH (vv. 36-37).
1 Kings 18:24, 36-37
(24) Then you call on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD; and the God who answers by fire, He is God.” So all the people answered and said, “It is well spoken.”
(36) And it came to pass, at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near and said, “LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that You are God in Israel and I am Your servant, and that I have done all these things at Your word.
(37) “Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that You are the LORD God, and that You have turned their hearts back to You again.”

Psalm 86:5-7
(5) For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive,
And abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You.
(6) Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer;
And attend to the voice of my supplications.
(7) In the day of my trouble I will call upon You,
For You will answer me.

Joel 2:32
And it shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.

Acts 2:21 is an exact quotation from Joel 2:32 (3:5 in the Septuagint).
καὶ ἔσται πᾶς ὃς ἂν ἐπικαλέσηται τὸ ὄνομα κυρίου σωθήσεται

Peter (recorded by Luke) applies YHWH from this passage in reference to the Lord Jesus.
Acts 2:21
And it shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.

This demonstrates Jesus is to be prayed to as being YHWH.

Acts 9:14 (Believing in Jesus corresponds with calling upon Jesus)
To believe in Jesus (22:19) is to pray to Him as being YHWH (9:14). Those who claim to believe in Jesus, but do not believe He is YHWH do not have the biblical Jesus.
“And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name.”
Acts 22:19
So I said, Lord, they know that in every synagogue I imprisoned and beat those who believe in You.

Acts 9:21 (The Faith)
"The faith" (Jude 3) which Paul tried to "destroy" (Galatians 1:23; cf. Acts 9:21) includes the fact that Jesus is prayed to as being YHWH (Acts 9:21). Those who deny the Lord Jesus is YHWH do not belong to the Christian faith.
Acts 9:21
Then all who heard were amazed, and said, “Is this not he who destroyed those who called on this name in Jerusalem, and has come here for that purpose, so that he might bring them bound to the chief priests?”
Galatians 1:23
But they were hearing only, “He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith which he once tried to destroy.”
Jude 3
Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.

Acts 22:16 (Jesus is the Lord of the Temple)
Acts 22:14-19
(14) And he said, The God of our fathers has appointed you to know His will and to see the Righteous One and to hear an utterance from His mouth.
(15) For you will be a witness for Him to all men of what you have seen and heard.
(16) Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.
(17) And it happened when I returned to Jerusalem and was praying in the temple, that I fell into a trance,
(18) And I saw Him saying to me, 'Make haste, and get out of Jerusalem quickly, because they will not accept your testimony about Me.
(19) And I said, Lord, they themselves understand that in one synagogue after another I used to imprison and beat those who believed in You.

The "His" in v. 16 refers back to "the Righteous One" (Jesus) in v. 14.
Furthermore, the pronouns continue to refer to Jesus being the "Lord" (v. 19) and even afterwards (cf. "You").
Notice something else. Although occurring at different times, Luke links both of Paul's prayers to the Lord Jesus.
a. Paul calls upon the name of the Lord Jesus in prayer (Acts 22:16).
b. Immediately afterwards Paul is described as 'praying in the temple' (Acts 22:17).
c. That the Lord Jesus responds (Acts 22:18) to Paul reveals that he was praying to Jesus on both occasions.

Romans 10:13 (Jesus is the Lord/YHWH)
Romans 10:13 (cf. Acts 2:21) is taken from Joel 2:32 (3:5 in the Septuagint). Paul applies YHWH from this Old Testament text in reference to Jesus being the "Lord" in Romans 10:13. This demonstrates Jesus is YHWH.
Romans 10:8-14
(8) But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,
(9) that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
(10) for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
(11) For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed.” (Isaiah 28:16; Romans 9:33)
(12) For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him;
(13) for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Joel 2:32; Joel 3:5 LXX)
(14) How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?

The following are reasons why the "Lord" does refer to the Lord Jesus in Romans 10:13 (and Romans 10:12).
1. The pronouns that occur from verse 9-14 all refer back to the "Lord" in reference to Jesus in verse 9.
2. Notice the use of "for" beginning at verse 10. This connects back to the Lord Jesus in verse 9.
In fact, so does the use of "for" in verse 11 - and in verse 12 - and in verse 13. Each continues the thought concerning what was previously taught which points back to the Lord Jesus in verse 9.
3. Verse 11 - The "Him" refers to Jesus. Paul applied what is written in this passage to the Lord Jesus in Romans 9:33.
4. Verse 12 - The "same Lord" (not a different 'Lord') refers to the "Lord" Paul just spoke of in verse 9 - in reference to Jesus.
5. Verse 13 - Paul used to persecute those who called on the name of the Lord Jesus (see Acts 9:14, 21; cf. Galatians 1:23), but he would later call on His name in reference to Jesus (Acts 22:16). Then, Paul would affirm elsewhere that all who are Christians call on the name of the Lord in reference to Jesus (see '1 Corinthians 1:2' below).
6. Verse 14 - To believe in Him is linked with calling on Him in reference to Jesus (see 'Acts 9:14' above).
Notice also believing in Him (v. 14) also connects to what Paul just affirmed moments earlier in reference to Jesus (v. 11; cf. 9:33).

Even earlier within this same epistle Paul would link the following words and phrases in reference to the Lord Jesus.
Romans 3:9, 22
(9) both Jews and Greeks are all under sin...
(22) even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction
Romans 10:8, 11-12
(8) ...the word of faith which we are preaching...
(11) For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him..."
(12) For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek

Paul and Peter
Romans 10:11 - 1 Peter 2:6
Romans 10:12 - Acts 10:36
Romans 10:13 - Acts 2:21
1. Paul and Peter wrote that whoever believes in Him (in reference to Jesus) would not be disappointed. (Romans 10:11; 1 Peter 2:6)
2. Paul wrote and Peter spoke that Jesus is "Lord of all." (Romans 10:12; Acts 10:36)
3. Paul wrote and Peter spoke that whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord (in reference to Jesus) shall be saved. (Romans 10:13; Acts 2:21)

Finally, one cannot deny the Lord Jesus is YHWH (Romans 10:13) and be a Christian since a major component of the gospel that Paul preached included this important truth (Romans 10:8).

1 Corinthians 1:2 (All who are Christians)
To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours.
Acts 9:13-14
(13) But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he did to Your saints at Jerusalem;
(14) and here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name.”

We see in the Old Testament a saint of the Lord would call upon the Lord (YHWH).
Psalm 31:17, 23
Do not let me be ashamed, O LORD, for I have called upon You.
Oh, love the LORD, all you His saints!

Psalm 106:16
When they envied Moses in the camp,
And Aaron the saint of the LORD
Psalm 99:6
Moses and Aaron were among His priests,
And Samuel was among those who called on His name;
They called upon the LORD and He answered them.

Saints (Christians) are those who call upon the name of the Lord Jesus knowing that He is YHWH.
This applies to all who are Christians - "all those in every place" (1 Corinthians 1:2).

2 Timothy 2:22 (Calling on the Lord/YHWH in reference to Jesus with a pure heart)
2 Timothy 2:21-22
(21) Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, sanctified, useful to the Master, ready for every good work.
(22) So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place
call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours.

The "Lord" in both passages above written by Paul refers to the Lord Jesus.

The "Master" (despotēs) to whom Christians are "vessels" (skeuos) of also refers to the Lord Jesus (2 Timothy 2:21).
Acts 9:15
But the Lord said to him, Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel.

2 Timothy 2:22
So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
Zephaniah 3:9-10
(9) For then I will give to the peoples purified lips,
That all of them may call on the name of the Lord
To serve Him shoulder to shoulder.
(10) From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia
My worshipers, My dispersed ones,
Will bring My offerings.

To call upon the name of the Lord Jesus from a pure heart in 2 Timothy 2:22 corresponds to calling on the name of YHWH with purified lips in Zephaniah 3:9. Those who do so are His "worshipers" (v. 10).

This leads to my final point.
In the Old Testament Moses and Aaron were priests (Samuel functioned as one) who called upon the name of the Lord (YHWH).
Psalm 99:6
Moses and Aaron were among His priests,
And Samuel was among those who called on His name;
They called upon the LORD and He answered them.

That Christians are priests of Christ demonstrates they too call upon the name of the Lord (YHWH) in reference to Jesus.
Revelation 20:6
Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power,
but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.

The earliest believers were known as "The Way."

Acts 9:2
and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.

Acts 19:9
But when some were becoming hardened and disobedient, speaking evil of the Way before the people, he withdrew from them and took away the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus.

Acts 19:23
About that time there occurred no small disturbance concerning the Way.

Acts 22:4
I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and putting both men and women into prisons.

Acts 24:14
But this I admit to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect I do serve the God of our fathers, believing everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets.

Acts 24:22
But Felix, having a more exact knowledge about the Way, put them off, saying, “When Lysias the commander comes down, I will decide your case.”

Paul bound those who beloned to "the Way" for they were known to call on the name of the Lord (YHWH) in reference to Jesus.
See Acts 9:14 below as well as the other passages for 'calling on the name of the Lord' in reference to Jesus in posts 4 and 5.
Acts 9:1-2
(1) Now Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest,
(2) and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
Acts 22:4
I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and putting both men and women into prisons.
and here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name.

This is not to be confused with 'The Way International' which was started by Victor Paul Wierwille. They deny the Lord Jesus is God. In fact, they deny the Lord Jesus is to be prayed to which contradicts what members of the biblical Way did in reference to Jesus.
Praising God Not Jesus: Many professing Christians have been taught to “praise Jesus.” However, the Bible does not teach that Jesus Christ is to be praised or thanked or addressed in prayer. (August 1, 2015)
http://www.thewayinternational.com/praising-god-not-jesus/

The early Christians belonged to the biblical Way, while Victor Paul Wierwille embraced the wrong way.

Last edited:
Acts 19:23
About that time there occurred no small disturbance concerning the Way.

I think there is more to learn from the expression (recorded by Luke) attributed to Paul by these pagans in Acts 19:26 as it relates to the worship of Jesus as being YHWH.

Acts 19:23-28
(23) And the same time there arose no small stir about the Way.
(24) For a certain man named Demetrius, a silversmith, who made silver shrines of Artemis, brought no small gain unto the craftsmen;
(25) Whom he called together with the workmen of like occupation, and said, Sirs, ye know that by this craft we have our wealth.
(26) Moreover ye see and hear, that not only in Ephesus, but almost throughout all Asia, this Paul hath persuaded and turned away a considerable number of people, saying that gods made with hands are not gods.
(27) So that not only this our craft is in danger to fall in disrepute; but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis should be despised, and her majesty should be destroyed, whom all Asia and the world worshipeth.
(28) And when they heard these sayings, they were filled with rage, and cried out, saying, Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!

1. Those belonging to "the Way" (the worshipers of the Lord Jesus) in Acts 19:23 are contrasted with the idolatry embraced by others in Ephesus. Christians worship Jesus while the world worships (sebō) idols (Acts 19:27).

2. A considerable number of people turned away (v. 26) from Artemis. That is, they turned away from worshiping Artemis (v. 27), by turning to the Lord Jesus which indicates their worship of Him.
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/to-fear-the-lord-in-reference-to-jesus-means-to-worship-him-as-being-yhwh.905/#post-26712

3. The expression "gods made without hands are not god" (or similar expressions) is used throughout the Bible in reference to the worship improperly given unto idols in contradistinction with the worship which is properly due unto YHWH alone (2 Kings 19:18; Isaiah 2:8; Jeremiah 1:16; Revelation 9:20; etc.).
Notice the high Christology demonstrated by Luke in that he uses this expression in contradistinction to the worship properly given to Christ.

4. Idolaters worship "the great goddess Artemis" (Acts 19:27), while Christians worship "the...great God and Savior, Christ Jesus" (Titus 2:13-14).

5. The Greek word for "majesty" is megaleiotēs and it is used a total of three times in the New Testament.
a. In reference to God in Luke 9:43.
b. In reference to Artemis in Acts 19:27.
c. In reference to Jesus in 2 Peter 1:16.
For these idolaters the "foremost in esteem, grandeur, sublimity, majesty" is Artemis (Acts 19:27).
For the Christian the "foremost in esteem, grandeur, sublimity, majesty" is the Lord Jesus (2 Peter 1:16).

---The above quotation (which I quoted twice) is from the BDAG (3rd Edition) concerning megaleiotēs on page 622 (the underlined is mine)---

What took place in Acts 19:23-28 above was due in large part to what happened earlier.
Acts 19:13-17
(13) But also some of the Jewish exorcists, who went from place to place, attempted to name over those who had the evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, “I adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preaches.”
(14) Seven sons of one Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this.
(15) And the evil spirit answered and said to them, “I recognize Jesus, and I know about Paul, but who are you?”
(16) And the man, in whom was the evil spirit, leaped on them and subdued all of them and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.
(17) This became known to all, both Jews and Greeks, who lived in Ephesus; and fear fell upon them all and the name of the Lord Jesus was being magnified.

The Greek for "magnified" is megalynō. When used by Luke in reference to the Lord it denotes worshiping Him (Luke 1:46, 58; Acts 10:46; 19:17). This worship of the Lord is also seen in the Old Testament in connection to His name being magnified (2 Samuel 7:26; Psalm 35:27; 40:16; Malachi 1:5).

Peter Pett: Many in Ephesus whose usual cry had been ‘Great is Artemis (Diana) of the Ephesians’ (Acts 19:28; Acts 19:34), now instead cried ‘Great is the Name of the LORD Jesus’.
https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/pet/acts-19.html

Last edited:
I think there is more to learn from the expression (recorded by Luke) attributed to Paul by these pagans in Acts 19:26 as it relates to the worship of Jesus as being YHWH.

Acts 19:23-28
(23) And the same time there arose no small stir about the Way.
(24) For a certain man named Demetrius, a silversmith, who made silver shrines of Artemis, brought no small gain unto the craftsmen;
(25) Whom he called together with the workmen of like occupation, and said, Sirs, ye know that by this craft we have our wealth.
(26) Moreover ye see and hear, that not only in Ephesus, but almost throughout all Asia, this Paul hath persuaded and turned away a considerable number of people, saying that gods made with hands are not gods.
(27) So that not only this our craft is in danger to fall in disrepute; but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis should be despised, and her majesty should be destroyed, whom all Asia and the world worshipeth.
(28) And when they heard these sayings, they were filled with rage, and cried out, saying, Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!

1. Those belonging to "the Way" (the worshipers of the Lord Jesus) in Acts 19:23 are contrasted with the idolatry embraced by others in Ephesus. Christians worship Jesus while the world worships (sebō) idols (Acts 19:27).

2. A considerable number of people turned away (v. 26) from Artemis. That is, they turned away from worshiping Artemis (v. 27), by turning to the Lord Jesus which indicates their worship of Him.
https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/to-fear-the-lord-in-reference-to-jesus-means-to-worship-him-as-being-yhwh.905/#post-26712

3. The expression "gods made without hands are not god" (or similar expressions) is used throughout the Bible in reference to the worship improperly given unto idols with the worship which is properly rendered unto YHWH (2 Kings 19:18; Isaiah 2:8; Jeremiah 1:16; Revelation 9:20; etc.).
Notice the high Christology demonstrated by Luke in that he uses this expression in contradistinction to the worship properly given to Christ.

4. Idolaters worship "the great goddess Artemis" (Acts 19:27), while Christians worship "the...great God and Savior, Christ Jesus" (Titus 2:13-14).

5. The Greek word for "majesty" is megaleiotēs and it is used a total of only three times in the New Testament.
a. In reference to God in Luke 9:43.
b. In reference to Artemis in Acts 19:27.
c. In reference to Jesus in 2 Peter 1:16.
For these idolaters the "foremost in esteem, grandeur, sublimity, majesty" is Artemis (Acts 19:27).
For the Christian the "foremost in esteem, grandeur, sublimity, majesty" is the Lord Jesus (2 Peter 1:16).

---The above quotation (which I quoted twice) is from the BDAG (3rd Edition) concerning megaleiotēs on page 622 (the underlined is mine)---

What took place in Acts 19:23-28 above was due in large part to what happened earlier.
Acts 19:13-17
(13) But also some of the Jewish exorcists, who went from place to place, attempted to name over those who had the evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, “I adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preaches.”
(14) Seven sons of one Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this.
(15) And the evil spirit answered and said to them, “I recognize Jesus, and I know about Paul, but who are you?”
(16) And the man, in whom was the evil spirit, leaped on them and subdued all of them and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.
(17) This became known to all, both Jews and Greeks, who lived in Ephesus; and fear fell upon them all and the name of the Lord Jesus was being magnified.

The Greek for "magnified" is megalynō. When used by Luke in reference to the Lord it denotes worshiping Him (Luke 1:46, 58; Acts 10:46; 19:17). This worship of the Lord is also seen in the Old Testament in connection to His name being magnified (2 Samuel 7:26; Psalm 35:27; 40:16; Malachi 1:5).

Peter Pett: Many in Ephesus whose usual cry had been ‘Great is Artemis (Diana) of the Ephesians’ (Acts 19:28; Acts 19:34), now instead cried ‘Great is the Name of the LORD Jesus’.
https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/pet/acts-19.html
We make a good tag team mate. :)

We make a good tag team mate. :)

The following is more information from #3 in my previous post.

Acts 19:26
Moreover ye see and hear, that not only in Ephesus, but almost throughout all Asia, this Paul hath persuaded and turned away a considerable number of people, saying that gods made with hands are not gods.

Some Unitarians may claim that Jesus can be worshiped, but this doesn't prove He is God. Notice however that the first reference to what is taught in (the boldface of) Acts 19:26 is found here:
Deuteronomy 4:28
And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men's hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.

The improper worship rendered unto idols is used in contradistinction to the proper worship rendered unto YHWH.
Deuteronomy 4:24
For the Lord thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

The worship due only unto YHWH ('a jealous God') and not to the works of men's hands (idols) is a major component of The Ten Commandments.
Deuteronomy 4:13 (cf. 4:24, 28)
And He declared unto you His covenant, which He commanded you to perform, even the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them upon two tables of stone.
Deuteronomy 5:6-9
(6) I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
(7) Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
(8) Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:
(9) Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me.

These same themes are used in association with the one YHWH of Deuteronomy 6:4.
Deuteronomy 6:4, 14-15
(4) Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord.
(14) Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;
(15) For the Lord thy God is a jealous God lest the anger of the Lord thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth.

Since Jesus is to be worshiped and not idols demonstrates the one YHWH of Deuteronomy 6:4 applies to Him. Therefore, the Lord Jesus is to be worshiped as being YHWH.
For more information concerning this see here:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom