Managing Your Emotions

Julie

If someone were to ask me to share the most important lessons I have learned as a Christian, I would certainly include the way God has taught me that I do not have to let my feelings and emotions control my behavior. I have learned that I can have emotions without letting them have me; in other words, I can live beyond my feelings.

Of course, I have also learned many other valuable lessons in my walk with God, but learning to deal with emotions in healthy, godly ways is one that has truly changed me and enabled me to consistently enjoy my life each day and stay stable in an unstable world. I pray that as you spend the next ninety days in this book, thinking and praying about how you deal with your emotions, you will also find yourself enjoying your life in new and wonderful ways as you experience a greater level of emotional stability.

When you wake up each morning, do you wait to see how you feel before you decide what you will do? If so, you won’t end up doing much of what you should do. Do you wait to see what you think, and then decide how to spend your day? Or do you use your free will to decide to do what you know you should do? Do you think of something sad that happened the night before and allow your sad feelings to set the tone of the day? Do you allow worry or anxiety to cause you to dread going to work? Do you immediately remember the stress of something that happened earlier in the week? Do you think of a certain person and feel anger, jealousy, or resentment? Perhaps you do at times, but you don’t have to let these emotions set the tone for your day. You can change how you feel by changing what you think.

Emotions are part of being human. People express their emotions differently, but we all have them. However, we don’t have to let our feelings lead us into unhealthy and unwise decisions. We can choose how to deal with them. Feelings are fickle, and they cannot be trusted. You and I can feel one way when we go to bed and wake up feeling an entirely different way. For example, this morning I went to my gym to exercise and decided I would take a walk when I came back, but after working out, I felt like sitting in a chair for a while.

God’s Word encourages us to make good choices in Deuteronomy 30:19: “This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.” God gives us two choices: life or death, blessing or curse. He even tells us which one to choose. He says to “choose life,” meaning to make decisions that lead to a life filled with His blessings.
We make a life-changing choice to be blessed when we decide to receive Jesus as Savior and Lord. Because God gives us free will (the ability to do what we want to do), we have opportunities to choose to be blessed each day as we make decisions consistent with His Word. On some days, our emotions help us make godly decisions. But on other days they betray us and try to prevent us from making good decisions.

Each day you live can be a good one. This, of course, doesn’t mean you will not face situations that affect your emotions. You may find yourself in a circumstance that makes you extremely happy and fills your heart with joy. Or something may happen to anger you, frighten you, or sadden you. You have no control over many things you deal with each day, but you do get to determine how you respond to them. You can’t choose what happens to you, but you have complete control over how you decide to deal with it. You do not have to feel like doing the right thing in order to choose to do it. You can live beyond your emotions.

I pray this devotional will encourage and empower you to enjoy every day of your life as you choose to manage your emotions regarding people and situations instead of letting your emotions manage you.

It’s Your Choice

This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.Deuteronomy 30:19

As you begin this ninety-day journey of learning to manage your emotions more effectively so you can be stable in an unstable world, it’s important to realize that no one is born knowing how to manage their emotions, but we can learn to do it. Making healthy, godly decisions when we feel like doing something else is vital to enjoying a victorious life.

For years, I simply did what I felt like doing, and it got me into a lot of trouble. But God has taught me how to follow His Word instead of following my emotions. I don’t always succeed, but I have learned a lot about this and will continue learning all of my life.People respond to emotions in various ways. Some ignore, deny, or suppress their feelings. Others respond physically—by overeating, drinking, exercising excessively, or substance abuse (whether that’s sugar, caffeine, prescription medications, or mood-altering drugs).

Still others withdraw when emotions are intense, while others run to their friends or to social media to process how they feel. And there are some who go on cleaning sprees, and others take shopping trips. The list goes on. Perhaps you’ve experienced one or more of these unhealthy responses. If so, today is the day you can begin to handle your emotions in positive ways instead of negative ones. In today’s scripture, God tells His people to “choose life.” This means to make decisions that lead to peace, joy, and stability. We learn how to make these decisions as we study His Word, and we find peace, joy, and stability as we obey it.

Prayer: Thank You, God, for Your Word and for the ways it teaches me to choose life. Help me to obey it in every area of my life for as long as I live.

Joyce Meyer, Managing Your Emotions

It’s Your Choice

This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live. Deuteronomy 30:19

As you begin this ninety-day journey of learning to manage your emotions more effectively so you can be stable in an unstable world, it’s important to realize that no one is born knowing how to manage their emotions, but we can learn to do it. Making healthy, godly decisions when we feel like doing something else is vital to enjoying a victorious life.

For years, I simply did what I felt like doing, and it got me into a lot of trouble. But God has taught me how to follow His Word instead of following my emotions. I don’t always succeed, but I have learned a lot about this and will continue learning all of my life. People respond to emotions in various ways. Some ignore, deny, or suppress their feelings. Others respond physically—by overeating, drinking, exercising excessively, or substance abuse (whether that’s sugar, caffeine, prescription medications, or mood-altering drugs).

Still others withdraw when emotions are intense, while others run to their friends or to social media to process how they feel. And there are some who go on cleaning sprees, and others take shopping trips. The list goes on. Perhaps you’ve experienced one or more of these unhealthy responses. If so, today is the day you can begin to handle your emotions in positive ways instead of negative ones. In today’s scripture, God tells His people to “choose life.” This means to make decisions that lead to peace, joy, and stability. We learn how to make these decisions as we study His Word, and we find peace, joy, and stability as we obey it.

Prayer: Thank You, God, for Your Word and for the ways it teaches me to choose life. Help me to obey it in every area of my life for as long as I live.

I love Joyce's devotionals they're the best:love:

Decide to Enjoy Your Day

This is the day the Lord has made;
we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24 NKJV

As I mentioned in the introduction, learning to manage my emotions has been one of the most important lessons I have learned in my journey with God, because it has allowed me to consistently enjoy my life. When we wait to see how we feel before we know if we can enjoy each day, we give emotions control over our lives. But thankfully, we can make decisions that are not based on feelings. If we are willing to make good choices regardless of how we feel, God will be faithful to help us do so.

Living the good life that God offers us requires us to be obedient to His way of being and doing. He gives us the strength to follow His teachings, but we must choose to do it. God won’t choose for us. He helps us, but we must participate by choosing to obey His Word instead of simply doing whatever we feel like doing. We can’t consistently enjoy life until we are willing to do this. For example, I may feel like avoiding someone because they have hurt my feelings or treated me unfairly, but I can choose to pray for them and treat them as Jesus would while I wait for Him to do something in that situation. If I act according to my feelings, I will forfeit peace and joy. But if I choose to do what God has instructed me to do in His Word, I will have His reward and blessing in my life.

Prayer: Help me, God, to make good choices regarding my emotions and not to allow them to control my life. I want to obey Your Word and experience Your blessings in my life.

You Are Loved and Accepted

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
2 Corinthians 5:21

God wants us to feel loved and accepted. This is why His Word includes so many scriptures that remind us of His unconditional love for us (John 3:16, 15:13; Romans 8:35–39). According to Romans 5:8, while we were still sinners and before we cared anything about God, He sent His Son to die for us, to pay the price for our sins, and to make a way for us to live in close fellowship with Him.

When we receive Jesus as our Savior, He takes our sin and gives us His righteousness, as today’s scripture teaches us. We may not understand the full impact of this. How can we fathom what it really means to be made right with God at no cost to ourselves? This is a glorious truth, one that will change the way we see ourselves as it sinks into our hearts.

I challenge you today to believe that God loves and accepts you completely, that He thinks highly of you, and that you are rightly related to Him through Christ. Think a positive thought about yourself or speak a positive word about yourself based on how God feels about you. I’m not talking about being in pride, but I am encouraging you to be bold enough to believe you really are who God says you are.

David says to God in Psalm 139:14, “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Many people struggle to believe such positive words about themselves, but I hope and pray today that you will believe them for yourself, because they are true.

Prayer: Thank You, Lord, for loving and accepting me completely and for making me righteous through Christ. Help me to feel about myself the way You feel about me.

How to Talk about How You Feel

When there are many words, transgression and offense are unavoidable, but he who controls his lips and keeps thoughtful silence is wise.
Proverbs 10:19

People tend to talk a lot about how they feel. Some talk about their feelings more than almost anything else. They feel good or bad, happy or sad, excited or discouraged, fearful or bold, stressed or at ease, loved or unloved, angry or peaceful, jealous or happy when others succeed or are blessed. The list of adjectives that describe emotions is almost endless.

Feelings are ever changing, usually without notice, doing as they please for no specific reason. We have all experienced going to bed feeling fine physically and emotionally only to wake up the next morning feeling tired and irritable. We often tell anyone who will listen how we feel and say much more about our negative feelings than we do our positive ones. If I wake up feeling energetic and excited about the day, I rarely announce it. But if I feel tired and discouraged, I want to tell everyone. It has taken me years to learn that talking about how I feel increases the intensity of those feelings, so it seems to me that we should talk about our positive ones and keep quiet about the negative feelings.

We can always tell God how we feel and ask for His help and strength, but talking about negative feelings just to be talking does no good. If negative feelings persist, asking for prayer or seeking advice can be helpful, but again I want to stress that talking just to be talking is useless. Even if you say, “I feel tired,” you can follow it with “but I believe God will energize me.” When you talk about how you feel, speak positively.

Prayer: Lord, today I want to use wisdom as I speak about my emotions. Help me to talk about my positive feelings so they will grow and to keep quiet about my negative feelings, as I trust You to help me with them.

Choose Faith

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith;
be courageous; be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

We can conquer fear with faith. When our thoughts tell us “You can’t,” we should remember that God says “You can” and echo Paul’s declaration in Philippians 4:13: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (NKJV). Even when we feel fear, we can move forward in faith, knowing that Christ is in us and we are in Him.

When Peter saw Jesus walking on water and wanted to do the same, he climbed out of the boat and began taking steps. As long as he kept his eyes on Jesus, he did indeed walk on water. But when he focused on the waves around him, he grew frightened and started to sink. Jesus reached out and saved him, but He also lovingly rebuked him for his great fear and his little faith (Matthew 14:25–31). Peter could have chosen faith and continued walking on water, but he chose fear instead, and Jesus had to rescue him. The feeling of fear will never completely disappear from our lives, but whatever we need to do, we can “do it afraid” and be courageous as we keep our eyes on Jesus. Courage is not the absence of fear; it is confronting and mastering fear.

Sometimes we don’t see how we could possibly have faith, but these are the times we must refuse to follow fear, with God’s help.
God never stops loving us and doesn’t become angry with us because we choose fear, but it does make Him sad, because He wants us to live the best life we can live. Throughout His Word, He instructs us not to fear, and He will give us the grace and strength to do it.

Prayer: Thank You, God, for the gift of faith. When I am tempted to be afraid, help me choose faith instead.

'Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
Let your moderation be known unto all men.
The Lord is at hand.
Be careful for nothing;
but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,
shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, -
whatsoever things are true,
whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just,
whatsoever things are pure,
whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report;
if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do:
and the God of peace shall be with you.'

(Php 4:4-9)

❤️

'Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
Let your moderation be known unto all men.
The Lord is at hand.
Be careful for nothing;
but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,
shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, -
whatsoever things are true,
whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just,
whatsoever things are pure,
whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report;
if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do:
and the God of peace shall be with you.'

(Php 4:4-9)

❤️
God is so good to us.

This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

God is so good to us.

This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
'Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace,
whose mind is stayed on Thee:
because he trusteth in Thee.
Trust ye in the LORD for ever:
for in the LORD JEHOVAH
is everlasting strength:'

(Isa 26:3-4)

Hello @Julie, :)

Yes, He surely is: and that verse that you quoted (Psa. 118:24) is one which I think we should have on the wall above our beds, to remind us every morning to rejoice and be glad.

I have been thinking of the verses I quoted in #7, from Philippians 4: and remembering that Paul was in Roman custody at the point of writing, either in prison, shackled to two soldiers, or under house arrest. Yet he could write those words to the believers at Philippi, knowing that they also were living in a Roman colony and undergoing the same persecution, with the threat of suffering terrible atrocities should they be taken captive. So if he and they could live in the light of such instruction as Philippians 4:4-9, and thereby experience God's perfect peace in those conditions, then so could you and I, by God's grace.

Thank you for being a blessing to me.
In Christ Jesus​
Chris

Last edited:
'Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace,
whose mind is stayed on Thee:
because he trusteth in Thee.
Trust ye in the LORD for ever:
for in the LORD JEHOVAH
is everlasting strength:'

(Isa 26:3-4)

Hello @Julie, :)

Yes, He surely is: and that verse that you quoted (Psa. 118:24) is one which I think we should have on the wall above our beds, to remind us every morning to rejoice and be glad.

I have been thinking of the verses I quoted in #7, from Philippians 4: and remembering that Paul was in Roman custody at the point of writing, either in prison, shackled to two soldiers, or under house arrest. Yet he could write those words to the believers at Philippi, knowing that they also were living in a Roman colony and undergoing the same persecution, with the threat of suffering terrible atrocities should they be taken captive. So if he and they could live in the light of such instruction as Philippians 4:4-9, and thereby experience God's perfect peace in those conditions, then so could you and I, by God's grace.

Thank you for being a blessing to me.
In Christ Jesus​
Chris
It's interesting that you mentioned that about Psalm 18:24. I say it every morning before I get out of bed. And I have a magnetic copy of it stuck to my refrigerator door.

I'm also a big fan of the Apostle Paul. It's amazing how God used him in such a mighty way.

You Have Authority over Your Emotions

Like a city whose walls are broken through is a person who lacks self-control.
Proverbs 25:28

Feelings in and of themselves are neither good nor evil. They are, however, unstable and unpredictable at times, so they need to be managed. They can be enjoyable and wonderful, but they can also make us miserable and drive us to make choices we eventually regret. Unbridled emotions can be compared to young children who want to have and do everything but don’t understand that some things can be dangerous. Parents must control their children, or they will surely hurt themselves or others. Similarly, we can learn to “parent” our emotions. We need to train them to avoid dangerous and unhealthy situations and to live the life and blessings God has for us.

Understanding our feelings is important, but not nearly as important as controlling them and not allowing them to run wild. Just as parents have authority over their children, you have authority over your emotions. You can decide that you will no longer let them control you.

The way you manage your emotions will determine how you live your life—whether you are a victim or a victor, whether you go forward in confidence or shrink back in fear when great opportunities present themselves, and whether you become known as a peacemaker or as a person who stirs up strife.

Feelings can be strong and demand their own way, but you don’t have to let them have it. Choosing to handle them well can position you to receive and enjoy the best God has for you each day, in every situation you face.

Prayer: Help me, God, to manage my emotions in ways that position me to receive the best You have for me today.

A Key to Emotional Health

Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone.
Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
Colossians 3:13

I believe one reason many people live in emotional turmoil is that they refuse to forgive people who have hurt or wronged them. Whether we realize it or not, unforgiveness is often the root of negative feelings. Many people feel justified and think they have a right to refuse to forgive. They think they should hurt the people who hurt them. But this isn’t emotionally healthy or wise.

Very painful things can happen to us in life. Many times, the key to getting through them and being able to enjoy our lives in the future is learning to forgive what has happened in the past. I’m convinced that, as believers and followers of Christ, we will never experience joy-filled, victorious lives unless we forgive people.

Forgiveness is not a feeling; it’s a choice. We can choose to forgive someone whether we feel like it or not. We can even choose to forgive while we feel angry or hurt. Once we make the decision to forgive, our emotions eventually calm down. As we continue to walk in forgiveness, hurt and anger subside. We may not choose to restore our relationship with the person who hurt us, but forgiveness sets us free from negative feelings toward them and may eventually lead us to feel compassion for them. When we forgive people, we can bless them and pray for them, as Jesus teaches. As a result, we will be blessed too. We don’t know all the blessings that will come from forgiveness, but we do know it will lead to peace in our hearts and that it’s a key to emotional health.

Prayer: God, help me choose to forgive everyone who has hurt or wronged me, even when I don’t feel like forgiving them.

Fight in God’s Strength

He said: “Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the Lord says to you:
‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s.’”
2 Chronicles 20:15

Are you asking God for something or believing that He will fulfill a promise He has made? During times like this, we can be tempted to believe that once God does what we are believing Him to do, everything will be wonderful and we will have no more problems. But trusting God often means facing obstacles to our breakthrough and taking steps of faith.

We would be wise to remember how God led the Israelites into the Promised Land. After they crossed the Jordan River, their journey was not easy. They had to fight one enemy after another. As they learned to lean on God and His strength, not relying on their human abilities, they were victorious.

When you’re filled with hope and faith that God’s going to do something wonderful in your life, it’s natural to feel happy and excited. But if you face an unexpected obstacle, you may be discouraged. If the obstacle is big, you may even want to give up at times.

When things get difficult as you move toward God’s promises, remember the Israelites, and don’t let the battles intimidate you. If something becomes difficult or frustrating, it doesn’t mean God isn’t leading you. He may take you through a test or trial so you can grow stronger or demonstrate your faith. He may be maturing you spiritually so you will be able to handle the blessings He wants to bring into your life.

Anytime you face a battle, remember that the battle belongs to the Lord. God will not only strengthen you in the midst of difficulty, but He will also fight for you.

Prayer: Lord, when I face various battles, help me not to rely on my own strength but to lean on You and Your strength, remembering that You fight for me.

The Truth Will Set You Free

You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

The words of today’s scripture are so important because of the way they apply to emotional health and stability. A person with a history of out-of-balance emotional behavior may act the way they do because they’ve not faced the truth about certain issues in their lives, perhaps even long-standing problems rooted in their childhood. They’re not free but are still captive to the negative things that happened to them. Until they confront the painful issues from their past, they won’t begin to heal and move into emotional wholeness and freedom. Confrontation isn’t easy, but it’s easier than remaining in bondage all your life.

My father sexually abused me. I thought moving away from him would solve the problem. But several years passed before I realized that the abuse was still affecting my personality and the ways I dealt with everyone and everything in my life. I carried heavy burdens of fear, shame, and anxiety. My journey of healing began when I was willing to confront the pain inside me and to deal with the problems it was causing in my life.

I eventually learned that hurting people hurt people, and I was able to forgive my father. I realized that what happened to me didn’t have to define who I was. My past could not control my future unless I allowed it to. I needed a great work of healing in my soul, and as I faced the truth about what had happened to me, God brought healing, wholeness, and freedom to my life. He will do the same for you.

Prayer: Lord, show me the truth about the situations that cause me pain and problems. Help me face it, so I can be set free.

'Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar,
and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Leave there thy gift before the altar,
and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother,
and then come and offer thy gift.'

(Mat 5:23-24)

:)

You Don’t Have to Feel Overwhelmed

Moses’ father-in-law replied, “What you are doing is not good. You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone.”
Exodus 18:17–18

Moses was a very busy man, to the point of being overwhelmed and stressed. As the leader of the children of Israel, he had many responsibilities and a lot to think about. The people looked to him to settle their disputes, solve their problems, give them advice, and provide help in many other ways. Finally, his father-in-law, Jethro, told him the work was too much for him to handle alone and helped him learn to delegate some of his responsibilities.

As you read about Moses and his father-in-law, maybe you’re thinking, I can relate! Maybe you, too, feel overwhelmed. Perhaps the responsibilities you carry have become too heavy and you don’t feel you can continue to handle them by yourself.
Being too stressed and overwhelmed is something we all face and need to manage at times. We can approach this several different ways. We can take care of ourselves physically, making sure to eat right, exercise, and sleep enough. We can seek support from the people around us. We can learn to set healthy boundaries and say no to certain things. And best of all, we can ask God to help us.

He may lead us to delegate certain tasks, give us insight into ways we can be more efficient, or give us creative ways to manage our stress. According to John 14:26, the Holy Spirit is our Helper, and we can call on Him at any time in any situation. We can be sure that when we ask, He will help us.

Prayer: Lord, help me know what to do when I feel overwhelmed, and send me the help I need.

A Peaceful Home Base

When you enter a house, first say, “Peace to this house.”
If someone who promotes peace is there, your peace will rest on them; if not, it will return to you.
Stay there, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages.
Do not move around from house to house.
Luke 10:5–7

During Jesus’ earthly ministry, He sent some of His followers out two by two to do His kingdom work. He said to them, basically, “Go and find a house and say, ‘Peace be unto you.’ And if your peace settles on that house, then you can stay there. If it doesn’t, shake the dust off your feet and go on” (Matthew 10:12–14; Luke 10:5–11).

At one time in my life, I felt repeatedly drawn to these scriptures, and I didn’t know why. I finally realized that God was trying to help me understand what Jesus was saying to His disciples in today’s scripture. I needed to learn that in order to minister with His anointing (the grace and power of the Holy Spirit in me), I needed to live in peace.

As I continued to study and meditate on these verses, I realized that in order to serve Him most effectively, all of us need a peaceful base of operations, a place from which we can go out and to which we can go back. For most of us, this place is our home. If our homes aren’t peaceful, we need to do whatever we can to gain and maintain a calm, peaceful atmosphere, because strife and confusion adversely affect the anointing of God that rests on our lives. Even if you can’t have peace in your home because the other people refuse to be peaceful, you can remain peaceful in your heart.

Let me encourage you to do all you can do to ensure peace in your “home base.” That way, everyone who lives and works from that place will do so with God’s grace and peace—and they will have success.

Prayer: Lord, show me anything I need to do to establish and maintain peace in my home, and help me create a peaceful atmosphere for all who live there, including myself.

'I exhort therefore, that, first of all,
supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks,
be made for all men;
For kings, and for all that are in authority;
that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life
in all godliness and honesty.

For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
Who will have all men to be saved,
and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.'

(1Ti 2:1-4)

❤️

'I exhort therefore, that, first of all,
supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks,
be made for all men;
For kings, and for all that are in authority;
that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life
in all godliness and honesty.

For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
Who will have all men to be saved,
and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.'

(1Ti 2:1-4)

❤️
Amen:love:

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, Romans 14:7

Link to Video>>

Ron Kenoly - Righteousness, Peace & Joy (Official Live Video) Integrity Music

Back
Top Bottom