How to Study Your Bible

The balancing concern about studying scripture is about having some humility if finding something different from others. It is kind of good and kind of bad that seminary students are told to interpret scripture but not to expect to find something new. Partly that is true because pastors may start with the commentaries and just end up choosing which view they like best. Another issue is that few people will have the skill to read the text in fashion to recognize previous errors. I tend to trust my new findings since, at times, I do find some confirmation by other interpreters (but usually not completely matching ideas).
Oops. I meant to include that people may assume they have a great insight (like on the nature of Christ) gleaned from one letter. However, that so-called insight may not take into account the broader scripture and may miss the intricacies of discussions on a topic.
(These type of issues is partly why I had presented a survey about people's level of Bible study they do.)

Last edited:
I am referring to the verse you just quoted which is John 1:2.

Let’s see it again:

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.” (John 1:1-2, KJV)

A cryptic scripture.

Divisions should not come from cryptic scriptures.

Unity should come from scriptures like these:

“…I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.” (Acts 8:37, KJV)

If you don't wish to answer my question I will fully understand why.

I’m not following… what is your assumption of me?

Hello @Aeliana,

I enjoyed your entry: however in regard to Bible study, using a Bible plan with a commentary like this, places you at the mercy of the provider, unless you make your own study of the Scriptures themselves, and you use them as the yardstick by which you judge what is written in the commentary.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Yes I understand they can be tedious. But you never know what treasures you may find.

I just thought of something clever. Someone could start a discussion on the Trinity.
That makes my head hurt.

But what I want to know is was Saul riding a horse on his way to Damascus or was he walking. Because I've heard it said he was knocked off of his high horse. Now that's a bible study.

Since he was blinded why would they take him by the hand and lead him and he couldn't see where he was stepping. If he was on a horse all they would have to do would be lead the horse and Saul of Tarsus could just sit on the back of the horse.

Inquiring minds want to know.

That makes my head hurt.

But what I want to know is was Saul riding a horse on his way to Damascus or was he walking. Because I've heard it said he was knocked off of his high horse. Now that's a bible study.

Since he was blinded why would they take him by the hand and lead him and he couldn't see where he was stepping. If he was on a horse all they would have to do would be lead the horse and Saul of Tarsus could just sit on the back of the horse.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Sure. We have to make sure our concept of God is resolved by figuring out this detail of Paul's life.

Sure. We have to make sure our concept of God is resolved by figuring out this detail of Paul's life.
We could, After all God used him to author almost 3/4 of the new testament. And Paul actually gives us quite a few details of his life. So I'm sure we could learn something about God by learning why he chose Paul.

Sounds like a good bible study to me. Take this for example.

When you study the Book of Acts — the history of the early church — and Paul's Epistles, you can see quite clearly why God set Paul apart for this crucial role. Paul was fluent in the Greek language and Greek culture and learned in Greek literature, which enabled him to relate to the Greeks (gentiles) on their level.

Back
Top Bottom