Faith alone ?

civic

1 Corinthians 13- If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

James 2:17,24,26- Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Faith without love/works is dead faith. Its as dead as the body without the spirit.

hope this helps !!!

Man is saved through faith (rightly understood) in Christ alone (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9) and not by an empty profession of faith/dead faith that remains alone - "barren of works." (James 2:14-26)

1 Corinthians 13- If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

James 2:17,24,26- Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Faith without love/works is dead faith. Its as dead as the body without the spirit.

hope this helps !!!
Ain't that the truth. In my opinion it's all about love and God is love. John 3:16 tells us how much he loves us. Everything we know about him teaches us that, and every encounter we have with him expresses it. God’s love for us is deep and all-embracing

Ain't that the truth. In my opinion it's all about love and God is love. John 3:16 tells us how much he loves us. Everything we know about him teaches us that, and every encounter we have with him expresses it. God’s love for us is deep and all-embracing
Yes love and genuine faith are 2 side of the same coin. God is love and it we claim to have faith in this God it will be evident in how we love others. The great 2 commandments that fulfill the royal law of love- God and your neighbor. And we have God demonstrating that while we were yet sinners, enemies of God, children of wrath like the rest- God loved us and sent His only Son. And we see in the life of Jesus His love for sinners and laying His life down for them, including His enemies. Father forgive them for they know not what they do. :)

Yes love and genuine faith are 2 side of the same coin. God is love and it we claim to have faith in this God it will be evident in how we love others. The great 2 commandments that fulfill the royal law of love- God and your neighbor. And we have God demonstrating that while we were yet sinners, enemies of God, children of wrath like the rest- God loved us and sent His only Son. And we see in the life of Jesus His love for sinners and laying His life down for them, including His enemies. Father forgive them for they know not what they do. :)
After reading these last two posts it makes me think that perhaps faith is Love. By faith we know that God loves us. By faith we know that his commandments are what's best for us, because we know that he loves us. And like obedient children we want to love our Abba Father and obey him. And yes loving one another.

After reading these last two posts it makes me think that perhaps faith is Love. By faith we know that God loves us. By faith we know that his commandments are what's best for us, because we know that he loves us. And like obedient children we want to love our Abba Father and obey him. And yes loving one another.
The two are inseparably connected.:)

good observation.

I thought this might go good here:love:

Be Kind and Encouraging

It [Love] is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God’s love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].
1 CORINTHIANS 13:5

I have learned that one of the secrets to my own personal peace is letting people be who God made them to be, rather than trying to make them be who I would like them to be. I do my best to enjoy their strengths and be merciful toward their weaknesses because I have plenty of my own. I don’t need to try to take the speck out of their eye while I have a telephone pole in my own.

A woman I know was widowed not long ago, and she was telling me about her relationship with her husband. This woman is pretty strong-willed and likes things to go her way. She told me that when she was first married, she noticed a lot of things about her husband that annoyed her. Like any good wife, she told her husband about his annoying traits and habits so he could change.

Gradually it dawned on her that although she was very good about telling her husband all the things about him that needed to change, he never returned the favor! As she wondered why, she realized that somewhere along the line her husband had made a decision not to look at—or for—her flaws. He knew she had plenty! But he wasn’t going to focus on them. It occurred to her that she could continue to point out all his annoying traits—or she could choose not to, just as her husband had done.

At the end of our conversation, she told me that in the twelve years they were married, her husband never said an unkind word to her. I think we can all take a lesson from that.

Trust in Him Ask God to help you be kind to everyone. Don’t say an unkind word today—focus on the strengths of the people you come in contact with, and do all that you can to encourage them.

Joyce Meyer, Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions

I thought this might go good here:love:

Be Kind and Encouraging

It [Love] is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God’s love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].
1 CORINTHIANS 13:5

I have learned that one of the secrets to my own personal peace is letting people be who God made them to be, rather than trying to make them be who I would like them to be. I do my best to enjoy their strengths and be merciful toward their weaknesses because I have plenty of my own. I don’t need to try to take the speck out of their eye while I have a telephone pole in my own.

A woman I know was widowed not long ago, and she was telling me about her relationship with her husband. This woman is pretty strong-willed and likes things to go her way. She told me that when she was first married, she noticed a lot of things about her husband that annoyed her. Like any good wife, she told her husband about his annoying traits and habits so he could change.

Gradually it dawned on her that although she was very good about telling her husband all the things about him that needed to change, he never returned the favor! As she wondered why, she realized that somewhere along the line her husband had made a decision not to look at—or for—her flaws. He knew she had plenty! But he wasn’t going to focus on them. It occurred to her that she could continue to point out all his annoying traits—or she could choose not to, just as her husband had done.

At the end of our conversation, she told me that in the twelve years they were married, her husband never said an unkind word to her. I think we can all take a lesson from that.

Trust in Him Ask God to help you be kind to everyone. Don’t say an unkind word today—focus on the strengths of the people you come in contact with, and do all that you can to encourage them.

Joyce Meyer, Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
That's definitely humbling, I will be asking God to help me work on this one. It's easy for me to get frustrated on these forms and say unkind things. I allow myself to fall victim to this one quite a bit.

You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. Matthew 7:5

It is not an accident that Ephesians 2:10 comes immediately after Ephesians 2:8-9.

Ephesians 2:8-10 [NLT]
8 God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God. 9 Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. 10 For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

It is when we try to have one without the other, or get them out of order that we get ourselves into trouble.

I have learned that one of the secrets to my own personal peace is letting people be who God made them to be, rather than trying to make them be who I would like them to be.

False gospel from a charlatan.

The impact of mankind upon the salvation of their fellowman is essential to the outcome of Eternity for mankind.

People are saved or not saved because of us. Not because of God. God has already provided everything necessary for salvation for everyone. Men are not saved because of their own choices or because of the choices of other men.

1Co 4:15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Just FYI. James never identified himself as the "Lord's brother" in the epistle he wrote.

Care to share?
Sure I'll share. I actually knew this was coming when I added The "Lord's brother". I thought about typing His half brother but I went for Brother.

I'm quite aware of the debate over who wrote the book of James. My study bible has an introduction to each book of the bible. Here's what it has to say about the book of James.

Author: James, Brother of Jesus
Date: A.D. 48–62
Theme: Faith That Works
Key Words: Faith, Riches, Tongue, Pride, Prayer

Author. The author of this letter identifies himself simply as James. The name was quite common; and the New Testament lists at least five men named James, two of whom were Jesus’ disciples and one of whom was His brother. Tradition has ascribed the book to the Lord’s brother, and there is no reason to question this view. Evidently the writer was well known, and James the brother of Jesus became the leader of the church in Jerusalem at an early date (Acts 12:17; 15:13–21; 21:18; Gal. 1:19; 2:9, 12). The language of the epistle is similar to James’s speech in Acts 15. James apparently was an unbeliever during the ministry of Jesus (John 7:3–5). A post-Resurrection appearance of Christ to him (1 Cor. 15:7) probably led to his conversion, for he is numbered with the believers in Acts 1:14.

Date. The Jewish historian Josephus indicates that James was stoned to death in the year A.D. 62, so if he is the author the letter was evidently written before that date. The contents of the book suggest that it may have been written as early as a date shortly before the church council of Acts 15, which convened about A.D. 49. We cannot be dogmatic, and can only conclude that the letter was likely written between A.D. 48 and 62.

Purpose. James is primarily practical and ethical, emphasizing duty rather than doctrine. The author wrote to rebuke the shameful neglect of certain Christian duties. In doing so, he analyzed the nature of genuine faith and urged his readers to demonstrate the validity of their experience with Christ. His supreme concern was reality in religion, and he set forth the practical claims of the gospel.

Content. Rather than speculating or debating on religious theories, James directs his readers toward godly living. From beginning to end the mood of his letter is imperative. In 108 verses, 54 clear commands are given, and 7 times James calls attention to his statements by using terms that are imperative in nature. This “bondservant of God” (1:1) writes as one supervising other slaves. The result is a statement of Christian ethics, which stands on a par with any such teaching in the New Testament.

Personal Application. The book’s call for ethical living based on the gospel provides its relevance. James gives a practical exposition of “pure and undefiled religion” (1:27). His two fundamental emphases are personal growth in the spiritual life and sensitivity in social relationships. Any faith that does not deal with both personal and social issues is a dead faith. The message of James speaks especially to those who are inclined to talk their way to heaven instead of walk their way there.

Christ Revealed. Beginning in the first verse and continuing throughout the letter, James recognizes the lordship of Jesus, referring to himself as the Lord’s “bondservant,” or slave. That term is applicable to all Christians, because all true disciples of Christ acknowledge His sovereignty over their lives and willingly commit themselves to His service. Christ is the object of our faith (2:1), the One in whose name and by whose power we perform our ministry (5:14, 15), the Rewarder of those who are steadfast in the midst of trials (1:12), and the Coming One for whom we patiently wait (5:7–9). James identifies Christ as the “glory” (2:1), referring to the Shekinah, the glorious manifestation of the presence of God among His people. Not only glorious Himself, He is the divine Glory, the presence of God on Earth (see Luke 2:30–32; John 1:14; Heb. 1:3).
Of considerable interest is the close parallel between the content of this letter and the teachings of Jesus, particularly the Sermon on the Mount. Although James does not quote any statement of Jesus exactly, there are more verbal reminiscences of the Lord’s teachings in this letter than in all the rest of the New Testament epistles combined. These allusions indicate a close association between James and Jesus and give evidence of the strong influence of the Lord in the author’s life.

The Holy Spirit at Work. The letter specifically mentions the Holy Spirit only in 4:5, which states the indwelling Spirit’s strong desire for our undivided loyalty, jealously brooking no rivals.

The activity of the Holy Spirit may be seen in the ministry to the sick described in 5:14–16. In light of other biblical terminology connecting anointing with the Spirit (see Is. 61:1; Luke 4:18; 1 John 2:20–27), anointing with oil is best understood as symbolic of the Holy Spirit. Furthermore, in the Greek the definite article used with the word for “faith” in 5:15 particularizes this faith, suggesting that James is referring to the manifestation of the gift of faith (1 Cor. 12:9).

Study Bible, electronic ed.

False gospel from a charlatan.

The impact of mankind upon the salvation of their fellowman is essential to the outcome of Eternity for mankind.

People are saved or not saved because of us. Not because of God. God has already provided everything necessary for salvation for everyone. Men are not saved because of their own choices or because of the choices of other men.

1Co 4:15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
My My My...How kind and encouraging of you.

People are saved or not saved because of us. Not because of God.
You might want to rethink that one☝️

I don't know how you do it but my role is simply obedience to share the good news of the gospel. Of course, I should do my best, but my “best” has nothing to do with its effectiveness. God’s people, sharing the gospel, is the means God has appointed to call people to His Salvation.

5 What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each. 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. 7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. 8 He who plants and he who waters are equal, and each shall receive his wages according to his labor. 9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building
1 Co 3:5–9

Yet it’s an act of God the Father that calls people into a saving faith. The response is voluntary, yes- and someone has to speak the message, but it’s God who works in people’s hearts in a way that brings about a saving faith.

You see the heart of the gospel is that we can’t do any of it on our own. We can’t save ourselves Or anyone else. Those who share the gospel don’t get credit for saving anyone. Those who respond in repentance and faith don’t get to boast. It’s God alone who does the saving, through the work of his son, Jesus.

hope this helps !!!
Spurgeon said that: "A faith that doesn't CHANGE A PERSON, won't save them either".

The three scriptures:
What is FAITH? - Heb 11:1
Where's it come from? - Rom 10:17
How is it applied? - Mark 11:22-24

The message of JAMES is simply: if what you CALL FAITH doesn't, of it's intrinsic nature, produce Works of righteousness, then it's not FAITH at all.

Spurgeon said that: "A faith that doesn't CHANGE A PERSON, won't save them either".

The three scriptures:

The message of JAMES is simply: if what you CALL FAITH doesn't, of it's intrinsic nature, produce Works of righteousness, then it's not FAITH at all.
Amen brother !

The three scriptures:

I agree, but I urge people not to observe a Christian and assume they are saved or not saved based on what you perceive as a change in that person. We're all at different stages in our walk, so a person who doesn't seem "changed" could be struggling. And a person who does seem "changed" could simply be a good faker.

I agree, but I urge people not to observe a Christian and assume they are saved or not saved based on what you perceive as a change in that person. We're all at different stages in our walk, so a person who doesn't seem "changed" could be struggling. And a person who does seem "changed" could simply be a good faker.
no change, no life, no Spirit in them. its as simple as that- otherwise its nothing but a dead faith, an intellectual exercise in futility.

Back
Top Bottom