Explaining the difference between Angels and Demons

Keoni

The word angel is applied in Scripture to an order of supernatural or heavenly beings whose business it is to act as God's messengers to men, and as agents who carry out His will.

Everywhere in the Old Testament the existence of angels is assumed. The creation of angels is referred to in Ps 148:2 "Praise Him, all His angels, praise Him, all His hosts"!

He made all things... Col 1:16–17 "For it was in Him that all things were created, in heaven and on earth, things seen and things unseen, whether thrones, dominions, rulers, or authorities; all things were created and exist through Him [by His service, intervention] and in and for Him. 17 And He Himself existed before all things, and in Him all things consist (cohere, are held together)".

Angels were present at the creation of the world, and were so filled with wonder and gladness that they "shouted for joy". Job 38:7 "When the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

Of their nature we are told nothing. In general they are simply regarded as embodiments of their mission. Though presumably the holiest of created beings, they are charged by God with folly. Job 4:18 "Even in His [heavenly] servants He puts no trust or confidence, and His angels He charges with folly and error"

And we are told that "he putteth no trust in his holy ones" Job 15:15.

As to their outward appearance, it is evident that they bore the human form, and could at times be mistaken for men. Genesis 18:2 "He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men stood at a little distance from him. He ran from the tent door to meet them and bowed himself to the ground"

There is no hint that they ever appeared in female form. And the conception of angels as winged beings, so familiar in Christian art, finds no support in Scripture except, perhaps Daniel9:21 "Yes, while I was speaking in prayer, the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the former vision, being caused to fly swiftly, came near to me and touched me about the time of the evening sacrifice". Or Revelation 14:6 "Then I saw another angel flying in midair, with an eternal Gospel (good news) to tell to the inhabitants of the earth, to every race and tribe and language and people".
Those two scriptures seem to represented Angels as "flying".

The cherubim and seraphim are represented as winged; winged also are the symbolic living creatures of Ezekiel.

As previously stated, angels are messengers and instruments of the Divine will. As a rule they exercise no influence in the physical sphere. In several instances, however, they are represented as destroying angels: two angels are commissioned to destroy Sodom. Genesis 19:13 "For we will spoil and destroy [Sodom]; for the outcry and shriek against its people has grown great before the Lord, and He has sent us to destroy it".

When David numbers the people, an angel destroys them by pestilence 2 Samuel 24:16 "And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the Lord relented of the evil and reversed His judgment and said to the destroying angel, It is enough; now stay your hand".

It is by an angel that the Assyrian army is destroyed. 2 Kings 19:35 "And it all came to pass, for that night the Angel of the Lord went forth and slew 185,000 in the camp of the Assyrians; and when [the living] arose early in the morning, behold, all these were dead bodies".

And Ezekiel hears six angels receiving the command to destroy those who were sinful in Jerusalem. Ezekiel 9:1 [THE SPIRIT] cried in my ears [in the vision] with a loud voice, saying, Cause those to draw near who have charge over the city [as executioners], every man with his destroying weapon in his hand.

In this connection it should be noted the expression "angels of evil," i.e. angels that bring evil upon men from God and execute His judgments. Psalm 78:49 "He let loose upon them the fierceness of His anger, His wrath and indignation and distress, by sending [a mission of] angels of calamity and woe among them".

Angels interpret God's will, showing man what is right for him. Job 33:23 "God’s voice may be heard] if there is for the hearer a messenger or an angel, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to show to man what is right for him how to be upright and in right standing with God."

The idea of angels as caring for men also appears. Ps 91:11 "For He will give His angels [especial] charge over you to accompany and defend and preserve you in all your ways of obedience and service".

Unfortunately the modern conception of the possession by each man of a special guardian angel is not found in Old Testament.

Next post I'll get into demons. Here on the islands we have the traditional Hawaiian religion which is jam-packed full of demonic activity. Hawaiians are very cautious of the Nighmarchers, the natives are afraid by their awesome power.

Bring It On!

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”​

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Well demons were definitely around during the Ministry of Jesus.

Then a blind and dumb man under the power of a demon was brought to Jesus, and He cured him, so that the blind and dumb man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the [crowds of] people were stunned with bewildered wonder and said, This cannot be the Son of David, can it? 24 But the Pharisees, hearing it, said, This Man drives out demons only by and with the help of Beelzebub, the prince of demons. Mt 12:22–24.

So I would say it's safe to assume there's still among us.

Satan and his demons have the world of mankind in their control to the point that Jesus could say, “the whole world lies in the power of the evil one, Satan.” 1 John 5:19

Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

By unbelievers Paul has in view non-Christians , the unbelievers of verse 4 are a subset of those who are perishing in verse 3. In other words, the two are the same. Second, the unbelievers are not persons, who have never heard the truth. No, rather, they are persons who have heard the truth, and have rejected it as foolishness.

The idea of angels as caring for men also appears. Ps 91:11 "For He will give His angels [especial] charge over you to accompany and defend and preserve you in all your ways of obedience and service".

Unfortunately the modern conception of the possession by each man of a special guardian angel is not found in Old Testament.
Doesn't your last sentence contradict the previous?

Back
Top Bottom