Do you have a mansion?

praise_yeshua

KJV.....

John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions:

Geneva Bible

John 14:2 In my Fathers house are many dwelling places

I remember the first time I heard a fundamentalist ripping apart modern translation for "removing" mansion from the translation. He FORCEFULLY insisted that HE was going to have a "LARGE STATELY MANOR". After all.... "God had promised it".....

What he was really saying.... "I deserve my reward".

1. Problem. Both Geneva and Bishops Bible that came from the TR didn't have "mansion" in John 14. They were both BEFORE the KJV. Nothing "modern" about them.
2. "Mansion" comes from Latin. The Latin Vulgate and the English DRB influences the KJV. So much for the lack of "Rome" in the KJV....
3. This type of mistake only further the egos of those that hear it.

Which is why I asked if you have a "mansion"?

Personally, my treasure is Christ. I'll take a calm cool seat next to the "river". You can have your "Large stately manor". My heart is elsewhere.

KJV.....

John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions:

Geneva Bible

John 14:2 In my Fathers house are many dwelling places

I remember the first time I heard a fundamentalist ripping apart modern translation for "removing" mansion from the translation. He FORCEFULLY insisted that HE was going to have a "LARGE STATELY MANOR". After all.... "God had promised it".....

What he was really saying.... "I deserve my reward".

1. Problem. Both Geneva and Bishops Bible that came from the TR didn't have "mansion" in John 14. They were both BEFORE the KJV. Nothing "modern" about them.
2. "Mansion" comes from Latin. The Latin Vulgate and the English DRB influences the KJV. So much for the lack of "Rome" in the KJV....
3. This type of mistake only further the egos of those that hear it.

Which is why I asked if you have a "mansion"?

Personally, my treasure is Christ. I'll take a calm cool seat next to the "river". You can have your "Large stately manor". My heart is elsewhere.
I would imagine the economy in heaven is a lot different than here on earth. Your calm cool seat next to the river could very well be a mansion. One things for sure we're not going to know till we get there.

I would imagine the economy in heaven is a lot different than here on earth. Your calm cool seat next to the river could very well be a mansion. One things for sure we're not going to know till we get there.

I do know from the Scriptures.

Human beings craft "God" after their own imaginations. He often resembles to them what THEY desire. That is how God appears to them. How God IS to them.

There is a reason one day that God is going to tell many religious people to depart from Him. It is because they crafted an "idol" in their imaginations of what/who God is. It never MATCHED what God... actually is.

2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

I don't need a mansion now, I will not need one then. Even though God owns everything, He is pleased with the simplest of things. Faith.

Many people judge "good things" by how much they cost. Which is rooted in the "love of money". God judges good things by the heart.

I do know from the Scriptures.

Human beings craft "God" after their own imaginations. He often resembles to them what THEY desire. That is how God appears to them. How God IS to them.

There is a reason one day that God is going to tell many religious people to depart from Him. It is because they crafted an "idol" in their imaginations of what/who God is. It never MATCHED what God... actually is.

2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

I don't need a mansion now, I will not need one then. Even though God owns everything, He is pleased with the simplest of things. Faith.

Many people judge "good things" by how much they cost. Which is rooted in the "love of money". God judges good things by the heart.
The thing about scriptures is that we interpret them. In the bad news is we have finite minds. You're telling me you don't need a mansion now and that you won't need one in heaven. And you're correct, What we have in Jesus is worth more than silver and gold. But if I get to heaven and Jesus tells me here's your mansion, I've been preparing it for you for 2,000 years. My reaction is going to be thank you Jesus!

We should start a thread about the mind. How we start out as infants and our minds grow. And then how they deteriorate. Short-term memory loss dementia all that good stuff.

The thing about scriptures is that we interpret them. In the bad news is we have finite minds. You're telling me you don't need a mansion now and that you won't need one in heaven. And you're correct, What we have in Jesus is worth more than silver and gold. But if I get to heaven and Jesus tells me here's your mansion, I've been preparing it for you for 2,000 years. My reaction is going to be thank you Jesus!

We should start a thread about the mind. How we start out as infants and our minds grow. And then how they deteriorate. Short-term memory loss dementia all that good stuff.

I agree about the mind but "Mansion" was a word choice made from a Latin perspective. It is not the proper translation of μονή

It simply means "abode".

Back
Top Bottom