Do you have a mansion?

praise_yeshua

KJV.....

John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions:

Geneva Bible

John 14:2 In my Fathers house are many dwelling places

I remember the first time I heard a fundamentalist ripping apart modern translation for "removing" mansion from the translation. He FORCEFULLY insisted that HE was going to have a "LARGE STATELY MANOR". After all.... "God had promised it".....

What he was really saying.... "I deserve my reward".

1. Problem. Both Geneva and Bishops Bible that came from the TR didn't have "mansion" in John 14. They were both BEFORE the KJV. Nothing "modern" about them.
2. "Mansion" comes from Latin. The Latin Vulgate and the English DRB influences the KJV. So much for the lack of "Rome" in the KJV....
3. This type of mistake only further the egos of those that hear it.

Which is why I asked if you have a "mansion"?

Personally, my treasure is Christ. I'll take a calm cool seat next to the "river". You can have your "Large stately manor". My heart is elsewhere.

KJV.....

Geneva Bible

I remember the first time I heard a fundamentalist ripping apart modern translation for "removing" mansion from the translation. He FORCEFULLY insisted that HE was going to have a "LARGE STATELY MANOR". After all.... "God had promised it".....

1. Problem. Both Geneva and Bishops Bible that came from the TR didn't have "mansion" in John 14. They were both BEFORE the KJV. Nothing "modern" about them.
2. "Mansion" comes from Latin. The Latin Vulgate and the English DRB influences the KJV. So much for the lack of "Rome" in the KJV....

Personally, my treasure is Christ. I'll take a calm cool seat next to the "river". You can have your "Large stately manor". My heart is elsewhere.
I would imagine the economy in heaven is a lot different than here on earth. Your calm cool seat next to the river could very well be a mansion. One things for sure we're not going to know till we get there.

I would imagine the economy in heaven is a lot different than here on earth. Your calm cool seat next to the river could very well be a mansion. One things for sure we're not going to know till we get there.

I do know from the Scriptures.

Human beings craft "God" after their own imaginations. He often resembles to them what THEY desire. That is how God appears to them. How God IS to them.

There is a reason one day that God is going to tell many religious people to depart from Him. It is because they crafted an "idol" in their imaginations of what/who God is. It never MATCHED what God... actually is.

2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

I don't need a mansion now, I will not need one then. Even though God owns everything, He is pleased with the simplest of things. Faith.

Many people judge "good things" by how much they cost. Which is rooted in the "love of money". God judges good things by the heart.

I do know from the Scriptures.

Human beings craft "God" after their own imaginations. He often resembles to them what THEY desire. That is how God appears to them. How God IS to them.

There is a reason one day that God is going to tell many religious people to depart from Him. It is because they crafted an "idol" in their imaginations of what/who God is. It never MATCHED what God... actually is.

2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

I don't need a mansion now, I will not need one then. Even though God owns everything, He is pleased with the simplest of things. Faith.

Many people judge "good things" by how much they cost. Which is rooted in the "love of money". God judges good things by the heart.
The thing about scriptures is that we interpret them. In the bad news is we have finite minds. You're telling me you don't need a mansion now and that you won't need one in heaven. And you're correct, What we have in Jesus is worth more than silver and gold. But if I get to heaven and Jesus tells me here's your mansion, I've been preparing it for you for 2,000 years. My reaction is going to be thank you Jesus!

We should start a thread about the mind. How we start out as infants and our minds grow. And then how they deteriorate. Short-term memory loss dementia all that good stuff.

The thing about scriptures is that we interpret them. In the bad news is we have finite minds. You're telling me you don't need a mansion now and that you won't need one in heaven. And you're correct, What we have in Jesus is worth more than silver and gold. But if I get to heaven and Jesus tells me here's your mansion, I've been preparing it for you for 2,000 years. My reaction is going to be thank you Jesus!

We should start a thread about the mind. How we start out as infants and our minds grow. And then how they deteriorate. Short-term memory loss dementia all that good stuff.

I agree about the mind but "Mansion" was a word choice made from a Latin perspective. It is not the proper translation of μονή

It simply means "abode".

KJV.....

Geneva Bible

Personally, my treasure is Christ. I'll take a calm cool seat next to the "river". You can have your "Large stat

KJV.....

Geneva Bible

You have to look at the Jewish Covenant Marriage to understand John 14:2

Since believers in Yeshua have consented to the conditions of eyrusin (betrothal), they enter into the betrothal period.
This is the period of time (biblically, one year) between the solemn first cup of the eyrusin ceremony and the full marriage
as symbolized by the second cup. Although the couple is married in the legal sense, they are not to live together as husband
and wife. There is still too much to be done. The groom has his own responsibilities, the most pressing one being the preparing
of their future home. In the ancient Middle East, this was most likely to take the form of adding a room to the family's existing
home. The preparation of a future home fits with the teaching of Yeshua. The Messiah was trying to comfort his disciples concerning
his impending death and departure from the earth. As troubling it was to those followers, there was great hope expressed when
Yeshua said:

Don't let yourselves be disturbed. Trust in God and trust in me. In my fathers house are many places to live. If there weren't, I
would have told you; because I am going there to prepare a place for you. Since I am going and preparing a place for you,
I will return to take you with me; so that where I am, you may be also (John 14:1-3) Messianic Jewish Version

Yeshua, our heavenly bridegroom, has taken the first vows with his New Covenant bride; that is, Jews and Gentiles who call
on his name. He is now fulfilling his responsibility of preparing a special home for his wife-to-be. It is understandable that the
immediate reaction of the disciples to Yeshua's death would be one of fear and doubt. However, in God's wisdom, this
temporary separation from the groom perfectly fulfills the purpose of the betrothal period. It must have been a comfort
to those disciples to realize that their redeemer and Messiah was simply completing the spiritual plan of the Father,
as seen in the betrothal.

God's Anointed Customs 'A Messianic Jewish Guide to the Biblical Lifecycle and Lifestyle'
by Barney Kasden

KJV.....

Geneva Bible

I have no idea what heaven's going to be like other than that we're going to be there for a long long time. My mind can't even fathom eternity.

As for a mansion, I'll take a love shack. Feel free to drop by anytime.

Whenever I hear the opening beats of “Love Shack” by The B-52s, my feet automatically start tapping uncontrollably, and I start singing along. There is no denying that this song is a classic 80s hit.

I think like Praise states it probably means abode and it can be thought of in different ways. Even the the Lord has provided for us a place at the Wedding Supper of the Lamb.....

Now could there be buildings, dwelling places in Heaven....I would not say such isn't possible. Nice big places? Perhaps. I'm thinking though we'd be so caught up with wanting to be around the Throne of God worshiping him that we won't probably be thinking too much on servicing structure anyway.

Back
Top Bottom