Walking in Righteousness

Persevering

Romans 14:17 talks about "Righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost". I don't know about you but I want to have peace and joy in my life In Christ.
This verse tells me the way to have that is to walk in righteousness, right standing with God which I believe comes from being obedient. But If righteous living doesn’t come naturally, how can we live righteously? God provides resources that give us power to live righteously. These resources begin with Christ and continue in the Holy Spirit.

One important resource is his discipline because He loves us and a father’s love includes discipline.

You must submit to and endure [correction] for discipline; God is dealing with you as with sons. For what son is there whom his father does not [thus] train and correct and discipline?
8 Now if you are exempt from correction and left without discipline in which all [of God’s children] share, then you are illegitimate offspring and not true sons [at all]. [Prov. 3:11, 12.]
9 Moreover, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we yielded [to them] and respected [them for training us]. Shall we not much more cheerfully submit to the Father of spirits and so [truly] live?
10 For [our earthly fathers] disciplined us for only a short period of time and chastised us as seemed proper and good to them; but He disciplines us for our certain good, that we may become sharers in His own holiness.
11 For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it [a harvest of fruit which consists in righteousness—in conformity to God’s will in purpose, thought, and action, resulting in right living and right standing with God].

Heb 12:7–11

Discipline is correction designed to yield the “peaceful fruit of righteousness”. God disciplines His people by allowing them to experience the consequence of insisting upon their own way. When Israel disobeyed, God “gave them over to the stubbornness of their heart, to walk in their own devices” Psalm 81:11–12.

Romans 14:17 talks about "Righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost". I don't know about you but I want to have peace and joy in my life In Christ.
This verse tells me the way to have that is to walk in righteousness, right standing with God which I believe comes from being obedient. But If righteous living doesn’t come naturally, how can we live righteously? God provides resources that give us power to live righteously. These resources begin with Christ and continue in the Holy Spirit.

One important resource is his discipline because He loves us and a father’s love includes discipline.

You must submit to and endure [correction] for discipline; God is dealing with you as with sons. For what son is there whom his father does not [thus] train and correct and discipline?
8 Now if you are exempt from correction and left without discipline in which all [of God’s children] share, then you are illegitimate offspring and not true sons [at all]. [Prov. 3:11, 12.]
9 Moreover, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we yielded [to them] and respected [them for training us]. Shall we not much more cheerfully submit to the Father of spirits and so [truly] live?
10 For [our earthly fathers] disciplined us for only a short period of time and chastised us as seemed proper and good to them; but He disciplines us for our certain good, that we may become sharers in His own holiness.
11 For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it [a harvest of fruit which consists in righteousness—in conformity to God’s will in purpose, thought, and action, resulting in right living and right standing with God].

Heb 12:7–11

Discipline is correction designed to yield the “peaceful fruit of righteousness”. God disciplines His people by allowing them to experience the consequence of insisting upon their own way. When Israel disobeyed, God “gave them over to the stubbornness of their heart, to walk in their own devices” Psalm 81:11–12.
'For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink;
but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.'

(Rom 14:17)

Hello @Persevering, :)

The context of the verse (above) that you use to open your thread, is in regard to judging others, especially those who are weak in faith. Paul says that, what should really matter to believers is the' righteousness', and peace and joy that is theirs in Christ Jesus. For God has ascribed His righteousness to us: and we are holy and without blame before Him in spirit; our sins having been forgiven, and therefore we have peace with God.

Peace with God, because our sins have been dealt with at the cross, the Lord Jesus Christ having borne the penalty for our sins, by dying in our place, that we may have life through His Name. These wondrous works of God for us are sufficient in themselves to fill our hearts with joy, and our mouths with words of thanksgiving and praise.

Thanksgiving and praise brings joy to God and to ourselves, and strengthens the faith of weaker brothers and sisters in Christ. It lifts our eyes off ourselves, and places them upon what God has done, in Christ Jesus our Lord and Saviour, as we walk in newness of life before Him in Christ Jesus.

Thank You
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
'For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink;
but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.'

(Rom 14:17)

Hello @Persevering, :)

The context of the verse (above) that you use to open your thread, is in regard to judging others, especially those who are weak in faith. Paul says that, what should really matter to believers is the' righteousness', and peace and joy that is theirs in Christ Jesus. For God has ascribed His righteousness to us: and we are holy and without blame before Him in spirit; our sins having been forgiven, and therefore we have peace with God.

Peace with God, because our sins have been dealt with at the cross, the Lord Jesus Christ having borne the penalty for our sins, by dying in our place, that we may have life through His Name. These wondrous works of God for us are sufficient in themselves to fill our hearts with joy, and our mouths with words of thanksgiving and praise.

Thanksgiving and praise brings joy to God and to ourselves, and strengthens the faith of weaker brothers and sisters in Christ. It lifts our eyes off ourselves, and places them upon what God has done, in Christ Jesus our Lord and Saviour, as we walk in newness of life before Him in Christ Jesus.

Thank You
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Excellent post:love:

Walking in Righteousness is walking by Faith in Christ, that He is ones Righteousness.
Exactly what is the Bible say our righteousness is like filthy rags?

On our own, our “righteousness” is simply self-righteousness, and vain, hypocritical religion produces nothing more than “filthy rags.”

Addressing the OP only.
Two verses, 1 from the OT, and 1 from the NT.

OT: Micah 6:8 "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

NT: John 13:34 "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another."

101G

Back
Top Bottom