The Sum and Substance of All Theology

The Rogue Tomato

Someone accused me of claiming you can be saved without the Gospel. I'm just guessing that person misread a quote I took from this Spurgeon sermon in some post somewhere. Anyway, click the link above and read it. It is one of the greatest sermons ever written, IMO. He even addresses some of the objections free-willers make.

""But suppose it should be one of those [elect] who are living in the interior of Africa, and he does not hear the gospel; what then?" He shall hear the gospel; either he shall come to the gospel, or the gospel shall go to him. Even if no minister should go to such a chosen one, he would have the gospel specially revealed to him rather than that the promise of the Almighty God should be broken."

Someone accused me of claiming you can be saved without the Gospel. I'm just guessing that person misread a quote I took from this Spurgeon sermon in some post somewhere.
Accused or rather sought to make an assessment about where you're located on these themes. I apologize if I misunderstood you but I still find your following statement somewhat murky.

You don't believe in election until you're saved and read the Bible.

I'm not sure why you consider one even has to be saved to understand election. People understand about a great many Bible subjects or subjects that some think are Biblical when in fact some aren't.

Accused or rather sought to make an assessment about where you're located on these themes. I apologize if I misunderstood you but I still find your following statement somewhat murky.

You don't believe in election until you're saved and read the Bible.

I'm not sure why you consider one even has to be saved to understand election. People understand about a great many Bible subjects or subjects that some think are Biblical when in fact some aren't.

I didn't believe in election until after I was saved and studied the Bible. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? The way you're talking about it makes it sound like you believe election IS the Gospel.

I didn't believe in election until after I was saved and studied the Bible. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? The way you're talking about it makes it sound like you believe election IS the Gospel.
What you really mean you did not hold unto unconditional election to salvation which you adopted some time after salvation

Someone accused me of claiming you can be saved without the Gospel. I'm just guessing that person misread a quote I took from this Spurgeon sermon in some post somewhere. Anyway, click the link above and read it. It is one of the greatest sermons ever written, IMO. He even addresses some of the objections free-willers make.

""But suppose it should be one of those [elect] who are living in the interior of Africa, and he does not hear the gospel; what then?" He shall hear the gospel; either he shall come to the gospel, or the gospel shall go to him. Even if no minister should go to such a chosen one, he would have the gospel specially revealed to him rather than that the promise of the Almighty God should be broken."

Quote me. I SAID....

You don't believe in the necessity of the Gospel. You believe that the Gospel is not required for regeneration. You believe a person is regenerated BEFORE that person CAN EVEN HEAR the Gospel.

Just like I said....Thusly, you do not believe in the necessity of the Gospel..

BTW, you are dead wrong about Spurgeon. Spurgeon changed his mind as he got older. He felt no compulsion to pay "homage" to Calvinism. You should search the forum for the last time Spurgeon was discussed here.

I've been around Reformed Baptist all my life. I know them better than you do.

Last edited:
Thanks for telling me what I really mean. I wouldn't have known, otherwise. :rolleyes:

He is right. You are misrepresenting what you believe. Not that you really understand it yourself.

If you believe regeneration is necessary before a person can even "HEAR" the Gospel, then you do not believe in the necessity of the Gospel.

Thanks for telling me what I really mean. I wouldn't have known, otherwise. :rolleyes:

BTW. I have people all the time telling me how to do my job. They couldn't do what I do if their life depended upon but they certain don't mind telling me they can.....

You're not exacting at all with what you believe. Words matter. Words have meaning.

Back
Top Bottom