The Promise of the Gospel

Johann

Everlasting, never-ending, eternal life with the Savior is the glorious promise of the Gospel, yet the majority of professing Christians believe they can lose their salvation. This is because they do not know or trust the glorious Christ of the Gospel. Paul knew Him well, which prompted him to write: "I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day" (2 Tim. 1:2).The eternal Gospel of our eternal God promises every believer eternal life and eternal glory in God's eternal kingdom (Rev. 14:6; Rom. 16:26; 1 John 5:13; 1 Pet. 5:10; 2 Pet.1:11).

The Lord Jesus promises to lose not one that the Father gives Him (John 6:39). His promise to every believer is this: "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you" (Heb. 13:5). Neither sin nor anything else will separate a believer from God’s love (Rom. 8:38- 39). This glorious truth is guaranteed be- cause God’s forgiveness is given freely and completely at the moment of faith and is se- cured forever for all past and future sins (Col. 2:13-14). Everyone who believes the promises of the Gospel possess eternal redemption through the eternal Spirit who guarantees an eternal inheritance (Heb. 9:12-15; Eph. 1:14). God's promises to every believer are backed up by His eternal power (1 Peter 3:5). This is why Paul declared: "Your faith should not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God" (1 Cor. 2:5). The world, through its wisdom, does not come to know God. Tragically many professing Christians choose to trust the wisdom of man rather than the promises and power of God revealed in His Gospel. Those who reject the promise of eternal life have believed another gospel and trusted another Christ (1 Cor. 15:2).

The Response to the Gospel

Many Christians have substituted God's blueprint for evangelism with methods of their own in order to fabricate a greater number of decisions. Instead of following the biblical model for evangelism, demonstrated by the early disciples who were trained by the Lord Jesus, the modern church has in- vented its own traditions. Rather than call- ing sinners to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ, evangelicals are asking unbelievers to repeat a prayer, sign a card, raise their hand, come forward or "accept" (rather than trust) Jesus as their Savior. None of these modern traditions have any biblical foundation. Not only do they dishonor the Savior, but they often mislead souls into a false hope of salvation. No one has the right to lower God's entrance requirements into His King- dom. Unless we evangelize God's way, we run the serious risk of deceiving people about their eternal destiny. True saving faith always involves repentance (Acts 20:21).

Biblical evangelism requires making disciples not decisions. This involves teaching people to observe all that Christ commanded (Mat. 28:18-20). His first command was to “Repent and believe the Gospel" (Mark 1:15). Repentance is a change in mind that is granted by God and leads to a knowledge of the truth. (2 Tim. 2:25). It results in turning from idols to God, from dead works to faith, from sin to righteousness and from the traditions of men to Christ and His Word (Acts 26:20; 2 Cor. 12:21; Col. 2:8; 1 Thes. 1:9; Heb. 6:1). The importance of calling sinners to repentance is also confirmed in the last command Jesus gave: "Repentance for forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His name to all the nations" (Luke 24:47). Remember, Jesus did not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance (Luke 5:32). Those who respond to the Gospel with repentance and faith will depart from the kingdom of dark- ness and follow the Light of the world (John 8:12). They will gladly get off the broad road to destruction and enter the narrow way that leads to life everlasting (Mat. 7:13-14).

Biblical evangelism also requires teaching people the attributes of God. The God who created us is also the One who will judge us. He is majestic in holiness (Exo. 15:11). Righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne and He will not let sin go unpunished (Psalm 97:2; Rom. 6:23). He is sovereign, and everyone is accountable to Him (Dan. 4:35; Heb. 4:13). The Father demonstrates His love by sending His Son to die for His people (Rom. 5:8). God opposes the proud but extends His grace to the humble (Luke 18:14; Jas. 4:6). By His mercy He saves believers from the eternal lake of fire (Titus 3:5). Modern evangelism puts too much emphasis on God's love and too little on His holiness and righteous justice. This is a stark contrast to first century evangelism where, in the Book of Acts, the word "love" is never even mentioned. Clearly, without a true and balanced knowledge of all God's attributes, sinners will not know Whom they have of- fended. Nor will they know Who condemns them with eternal punishment or Whom they must call on to be saved. The world is perishing for a lack of the knowledge of God.

May we all examine our faith and practice to ensure that it conforms to God's Word. Have we trusted the Christ of the Gospel and believed the glorious and infallible promises of the Gospel? Are we calling people to respond to the Gospel God's way? Let us all obey from the heart the doctrine to which we were delivered (Rom. 6:17).
PTG

Everlasting, never-ending, eternal life with the Savior is the glorious promise of the Gospel, yet the majority of professing Christians believe they can lose their salvation. This is because they do not know or trust the glorious Christ of the Gospel.
With all due respect, Johann, it is not that they do not know or trust Christ, it’s that they stop trusting (and thereby obeying and walking as Christ walked) in Christ.

Scripture warns us of the real potential for “falling away” (Heb 6:4-6,10:26-30), and Paul tells of Demas, who abandoned him in the midst of ministry because “he loved the world” (2Tim 4:10), and as John says, “Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.” (1 John 2:15)

Jesus warns in Revelations that anyone adding or subtracting from that prophecy that “God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.” (Rev 22:19)

Doug

Last edited:
With all due respect, Johann, it is not that they do not know or trust Christ, it’s that they stop trusting (and thereby obeying and walking as Christ walked) in Christ.

Scripture warns us of the real potential for “falling away” (Heb 6:4-6,10:26-30), and Paul tells of Demas, who abandoned him in the midst of ministry because “he loved the world” (2Tim 4:10), and as John says, “Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.” (1 John 2:15)

Jesus warns in Revelations that anyone adding or subtracting from that prophecy that “God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.” (Rev 22:19)

Doug
I hear what you say @TibiasDad and there is truth in that-I stand upon these verse-s and I certainly wouldn't want to deliberately add or subtract from what stands written brother.

Eph 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Mat_16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Joh_14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Joh_15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

It is the "obedience part" that many think are "works" that is the clincher-and a casual read through Matt 25 will confirm the Imperatives as recorded in Scriptures brother-any inactive Christian may very well not be a Christian.

Johann.

I hear what you say @TibiasDad and there is truth in that-I stand upon these verse-s and I certainly wouldn't want to deliberately add or subtract from what stands written brother.

Eph 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Mat_16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Joh_14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Joh_15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

It is the "obedience part" that many think are "works" that is the clincher-and a casual read through Matt 25 will confirm the Imperatives as recorded in Scriptures brother-any inactive Christian may very well not be a Christian.

Johann.

Fair enough, Johann, I know we can go back and forth about this, and I am glad you can see my point. I understand yours as well. Too often the problem in these discussions is that the debaters can’t acknowledge the validity of the other’s arguments, even though they disagree in the long run. I see your point, I just think that the very fact that there is a real possibility of “falling away” suggested by the numerous warnings against it creates a real contingency factor that mitigates the absoluteness of security.

I know, “you’re either secure or not secure”, but the question is who is secure, is it not? Those believing are secure; those wavering in or abandoning their believing are given no security.

Doug

Fair enough, Johann, I know we can go back and forth about this, and I am glad you can see my point. I understand yours as well. Too often the problem in these discussions is that the debaters can’t acknowledge the validity of the other’s arguments, even though they disagree in the long run. I see your point, I just think that the very fact that there is a real possibility of “falling away” suggested by the numerous warnings against it creates a real contingency factor that mitigates the absoluteness of security.

I know, “you’re either secure or not secure”, but the question is who is secure, is it not? Those believing are secure; those wavering in or abandoning their believing are given no security.

Doug
I am in full agreement with you @TibiasDad-you can show me scripture references that states a believer may fall away-and I can show you references on the assurance of the believer IN Messiah.
It is covenantal-and we may "drift away for a season" but God will not break His covenant IN Messiah.
The Perfect Tense is my assurance.
Johann.

Last edited:

Doug
Exactly as in a real debate class one is taught to thoroughly know both sides of the argument. In most cases on these forums seldom is that true and many times a person doesn’t even understand what they claim to believe. I know when I was a Calvinist I had to teach Calvinists what Calvin actually taught and Arminians what Arminius actually taught. The same is true with essential Christian doctrines that many do not understand at any depth. We often see this occur in online forums.

Exactly as in a real debate class one is taught to thoroughly know both sides of the argument. In most cases on these forums seldom is that true and many times a person doesn’t even understand what they claim to believe. I know when I was a Calvinist I had to teach Calvinists what Calvin actually taught and Arminians what Arminius actually taught. The same is true with essential Christian doctrines that many do not understand at any depth. We often see this occur in online forums.
Hi brother-may I have a personal word with you?
Thanks.
Johann.

Everlasting, never-ending, eternal life with the Savior is the glorious promise of the Gospel, yet the majority of professing Christians believe they can lose their salvation. This is because they do not know or trust the glorious Christ of the Gospel. Paul knew Him well, which prompted him to write: "I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day" (2 Tim. 1:2).The eternal Gospel of our eternal God promises every believer eternal life and eternal glory in God's eternal kingdom (Rev. 14:6; Rom. 16:26; 1 John 5:13; 1 Pet. 5:10; 2 Pet.1:11).

The Lord Jesus promises to lose not one that the Father gives Him (John 6:39). His promise to every believer is this: "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you" (Heb. 13:5). Neither sin nor anything else will separate a believer from God’s love (Rom. 8:38- 39). This glorious truth is guaranteed be- cause God’s forgiveness is given freely and completely at the moment of faith and is se- cured forever for all past and future sins (Col. 2:13-14). Everyone who believes the promises of the Gospel possess eternal redemption through the eternal Spirit who guarantees an eternal inheritance (Heb. 9:12-15; Eph. 1:14). God's promises to every believer are backed up by His eternal power (1 Peter 3:5). This is why Paul declared: "Your faith should not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God" (1 Cor. 2:5). The world, through its wisdom, does not come to know God. Tragically many professing Christians choose to trust the wisdom of man rather than the promises and power of God revealed in His Gospel. Those who reject the promise of eternal life have believed another gospel and trusted another Christ (1 Cor. 15:2).

The Response to the Gospel

Many Christians have substituted God's blueprint for evangelism with methods of their own in order to fabricate a greater number of decisions. Instead of following the biblical model for evangelism, demonstrated by the early disciples who were trained by the Lord Jesus, the modern church has in- vented its own traditions. Rather than call- ing sinners to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ, evangelicals are asking unbelievers to repeat a prayer, sign a card, raise their hand, come forward or "accept" (rather than trust) Jesus as their Savior. None of these modern traditions have any biblical foundation. Not only do they dishonor the Savior, but they often mislead souls into a false hope of salvation. No one has the right to lower God's entrance requirements into His King- dom. Unless we evangelize God's way, we run the serious risk of deceiving people about their eternal destiny. True saving faith always involves repentance (Acts 20:21).

Biblical evangelism requires making disciples not decisions. This involves teaching people to observe all that Christ commanded (Mat. 28:18-20). His first command was to “Repent and believe the Gospel" (Mark 1:15). Repentance is a change in mind that is granted by God and leads to a knowledge of the truth. (2 Tim. 2:25). It results in turning from idols to God, from dead works to faith, from sin to righteousness and from the traditions of men to Christ and His Word (Acts 26:20; 2 Cor. 12:21; Col. 2:8; 1 Thes. 1:9; Heb. 6:1). The importance of calling sinners to repentance is also confirmed in the last command Jesus gave: "Repentance for forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His name to all the nations" (Luke 24:47). Remember, Jesus did not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance (Luke 5:32). Those who respond to the Gospel with repentance and faith will depart from the kingdom of dark- ness and follow the Light of the world (John 8:12). They will gladly get off the broad road to destruction and enter the narrow way that leads to life everlasting (Mat. 7:13-14).

Biblical evangelism also requires teaching people the attributes of God. The God who created us is also the One who will judge us. He is majestic in holiness (Exo. 15:11). Righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne and He will not let sin go unpunished (Psalm 97:2; Rom. 6:23). He is sovereign, and everyone is accountable to Him (Dan. 4:35; Heb. 4:13). The Father demonstrates His love by sending His Son to die for His people (Rom. 5:8). God opposes the proud but extends His grace to the humble (Luke 18:14; Jas. 4:6). By His mercy He saves believers from the eternal lake of fire (Titus 3:5). Modern evangelism puts too much emphasis on God's love and too little on His holiness and righteous justice. This is a stark contrast to first century evangelism where, in the Book of Acts, the word "love" is never even mentioned. Clearly, without a true and balanced knowledge of all God's attributes, sinners will not know Whom they have of- fended. Nor will they know Who condemns them with eternal punishment or Whom they must call on to be saved. The world is perishing for a lack of the knowledge of God.

May we all examine our faith and practice to ensure that it conforms to God's Word. Have we trusted the Christ of the Gospel and believed the glorious and infallible promises of the Gospel? Are we calling people to respond to the Gospel God's way? Let us all obey from the heart the doctrine to which we were delivered (Rom. 6:17).
PTG

The Book of Galatians is also a foundational Book for Christian Doctrine, so it should not be left out.

And one of the main ideas about The Gospel Paul taught in Galatians, is how the Promise by Faith which those in Christ have believed was first... given through Abraham (see Gal.3). And thusly, those of Faith have become the "children of Abraham" Paul says.

That should change how many brethren in Christ see the Old Testament Patriarchs like Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, etc., regarding The Gospel of Jesus Christ. It should cause men's leaven doctrines taught in many Churches today to go in the waste basket, because of disregarding much of the Old Testament Books and only preaching from the New Testament Books.

In John 8, Lord Jesus said Abraham rejoiced to see His day, and was glad. Thus Abraham knew The Gospel of Jesus Christ; he just didn't get to live to see The Gospel and New Covenant go into effect with Christ's death and resurrection.

The Book of Galatians is also a foundational Book for Christian Doctrine, so it should not be left out.

And one of the main ideas about The Gospel Paul taught in Galatians, is how the Promise by Faith which those in Christ have believed was first... given through Abraham (see Gal.3). And thusly, those of Faith have become the "children of Abraham" Paul says.

That should change how many brethren in Christ see the Old Testament Patriarchs like Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, etc., regarding The Gospel of Jesus Christ. It should cause men's leaven doctrines taught in many Churches today to go in the waste basket, because of disregarding much of the Old Testament Books and only preaching from the New Testament Books.

In John 8, Lord Jesus said Abraham rejoiced to see His day, and was glad. Thus Abraham knew The Gospel of Jesus Christ; he just didn't get to live to see The Gospel and New Covenant go into effect with Christ's death and resurrection.
And Scripture says they were written for our instruction. We can learn many lessons from them.

And Scripture says they were written for our instruction. We can learn many lessons from them.
Yes. Per Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 10:11.

I was raised in a mainstream Protestant Church that held to men's seminary doctrine called Preterism. They covered a very, very basic topical scan of Old Testament history, and then treated it like dead history. They didn't teach Bible prophecy, and pretty much regarded most of Christ's Book of Revelation as past history also. The Gospel Books, and good works from Paul's Epistles, that was about it.

Back
Top Bottom