The Parable of the Sower

Aeliana

The Parable of the Sower
3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow; 4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the wayside, and the fowls came and devoured them up: 5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth: 6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away. 7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them: 8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundred-fold, some sixty-fold, some thirty-fold. 9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
Matthew 13:3–9
Jesus used this parable to explain to his followers and the disciples how there are different responses to the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. The sower in the parable is Jesus and the seed is the word of God.

I think this Parable is also a test of true discipleship. Jesus mentions this as one of the causes of defection among those who are Christians in outward appearance only. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.

Following is a list of the meanings of each term within the parable.

The sower – Jesus Christ

The seeds – The Gospel of the kingdom-the Word of God

The bird – The evil one

The soil – The world, those people who are presented with the Gospel of the kingdom.

GRACE AMBASSADORS
Justin Johnson
Parable of the Sower (13:14)
A kingdom parable

Mark 4:120 – The parable
1. Context of the Parable
a. Leviticus 26: 2740 – The curse of the
covenant and the appeal to confess their sins
b. Isaiah 5:15 – The vineyard is Israel who is bearing wicked fruit
c. Isaiah 6:910 – God sends Isaiah to teach so that they would not understand
i. Matt 13:13, Mark 4:11 – unto you (remnant) it is given
d. Jer 18:18 – ‘if the nation repent… ‘
e. Mal 2:83:13 – 4:1 – he shall burn them, leaving neither root or branch
f. Matt 3:23,612 – John the Baptist’s message…
g. Mark 1:1415 – … was Jesus’ message.
2. What is the word?
a. Matt 13:19 – the word of the kingdom (and wrath)
b. Luke 8:11 – the word of God
i. Spoken since the world began – Luke 1:7075, Acts 3:21
c. Luke 8:12 Contained salvation and belief
3. The Ground
a. Way Side They don’t understand Matt 13:19
i. Mal 2:8 – the priests are out of the way
ii. Exo 32:8, Deut 9:12, 11:28
b. Stony Isaiah 8:14 – Christ is the rock of offence
i. Matt 11:6 – blessed are those that are not offended
ii. Matt 13:21 – offended because of the persecution
c. Thorny – lovers of pleasure, chokes the word, which demands selling all you have…
i. Matt 13:44 – sell all that he hath
ii. Mark 10:1823 Luke 18:1824 – the rich man and selling
d. Good – hear, keep and bear fruit with patience
i. Luke 8:15 – mark 13:13, Luke 8:21, James 1:22
ii. Matt 10:2122 – endureth until the end he shall be saved
4. Fruit – fruit in the kingdom
a. Ezekiel 36:611, 2830 – multiplied by the covenant
b. Isaiah 27:56 – Jacob will fill the world with fruit
c. Isaiah 37:3031 – Israel will plant vineyards
d. Isaiah 65:2023 – the fruit enjoyed in the kingdom
The parable of the sower is a kingdom parable about rebellious Israel who will have to suffer
through the coming tribulation in order to enter the kingdom.
What is missing?
THE GOSPEL OF THE GRACE OF GOD

Rocks stand for offenses and stumbling blocks, and thorns stand for sinful dispositions. The sun is the pressures of life, the root is the depth of faith and commitment.

Make sure to compare the parable in all Gospels.

Rocks stand for offenses and stumbling blocks, and thorns stand for sinful dispositions. The sun is the pressures of life, the root is the depth of faith and commitment.

Make sure to compare the parable in all Gospels.
I did look up Sinful dispositions And apparently that goes along with your thread about original sin.

Romans 6:16-20
Do you not know that if you continually surrender yourselves to anyone to do his will, you are the slaves of him whom you obey, whether that be to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience which leads to righteousness (right doing and right standing with God)?
17 But thank God, though you were once slaves of sin, you have become obedient with all your heart to the standard of teaching in which you were instructed and to which you were committed.
18 And having been set free from sin, you have become the servants of righteousness (of conformity to the divine will in thought, purpose, and action).
19 I am speaking in familiar human terms because of your natural limitations. For as you yielded your bodily members [and faculties] as servants to impurity and ever increasing lawlessness, so now yield your bodily members [and faculties] once for all as servants to righteousness (right being and doing) [which leads] to sanctification.
20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.

We received at our physical birth a disposition toward rebellion toward God. We call that disposition the sin nature.

We received at our physical birth a disposition toward rebellion toward God. We call that disposition the sin nature.

Yes, you notice when God cursed the ground he said it will bear thorns and thistles now.

And that the serpent, will "eat" the dust of the ground?

We know Adam's very name was "earth."

So we see it all ties together as a spiritual parable for the ground of Adam's heart being cursed and eaten up by spiritual serpents.

The Parable of the Sower
3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow; 4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the wayside, and the fowls came and devoured them up: 5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth: 6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away. 7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them: 8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundred-fold, some sixty-fold, some thirty-fold. 9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
Matthew 13:3–9
Jesus used this parable to explain to his followers and the disciples how there are different responses to the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. The sower in the parable is Jesus and the seed is the word of God.

I think this Parable is also a test of true discipleship. Jesus mentions this as one of the causes of defection among those who are Christians in outward appearance only. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.

Following is a list of the meanings of each term within the parable.

The sower – Jesus Christ

The seeds – The Gospel of the kingdom-the Word of God

The bird – The evil one

The soil – The world, those people who are presented with the Gospel of the kingdom.
I already did a thread here I called "A Most Important Parable" In it I said,

I recall a Bible teacher state years ago they felt this passage of scripture one should read once a day or at least refer to it often. Why? Because it shows one how the whole Kingdom works and functions. You plant the seed of God's word in your heart and hold fast to it regardless of trials seeking to get you off the WORD. In verse 13 he states you don't understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable. In other words this is the granddaddy of them all.

If you don't understand this you won't understand anything much of what I'm saying. Notice that when you have a trial....doesn't always mean you've done something wrong....could be Satan trying to get the word out of your life. If he can do that he's got you locked into defeat. Notice not having no root in themselves? That tells us we must embrace an attitude we're going to persevere and hang in there. Many good things in the passage but look even at verse 19....the worries of this life.....we're reminded that all of our cares and worries are to be cast upon the Lord, in other words (modern lingo) don't flip out but lock into God's promises.

I did look up Sinful dispositions And apparently that goes along with your thread about original sin.

Romans 6:16-20
Do you not know that if you continually surrender yourselves to anyone to do his will, you are the slaves of him whom you obey, whether that be to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience which leads to righteousness (right doing and right standing with God)?
17 But thank God, though you were once slaves of sin, you have become obedient with all your heart to the standard of teaching in which you were instructed and to which you were committed.
18 And having been set free from sin, you have become the servants of righteousness (of conformity to the divine will in thought, purpose, and action).
19 I am speaking in familiar human terms because of your natural limitations. For as you yielded your bodily members [and faculties] as servants to impurity and ever increasing lawlessness, so now yield your bodily members [and faculties] once for all as servants to righteousness (right being and doing) [which leads] to sanctification.
20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.

And shall a Christian continue to abide in a state of a sinful nature/disposition?

I already did a thread here I called "A Most Important Parable" In it I said,

I recall a Bible teacher state years ago they felt this passage of scripture one should read once a day or at least refer to it often. Why? Because it shows one how the whole Kingdom works and functions. You plant the seed of God's word in your heart and hold fast to it regardless of trials seeking to get you off the WORD. In verse 13 he states you don't understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable. In other words this is the granddaddy of them all.

If you don't understand this you won't understand anything much of what I'm saying. Notice that when you have a trial....doesn't always mean you've done something wrong....could be Satan trying to get the word out of your life. If he can do that he's got you locked into defeat. Notice not having no root in themselves? That tells us we must embrace an attitude we're going to persevere and hang in there. Many good things in the passage but look even at verse 19....the worries of this life.....we're reminded that all of our cares and worries are to be cast upon the Lord, in other words (modern lingo) don't flip out but lock into God's promises.
I'm way past my flipping out days. The advice from the Bible teacher you recall sounds excellent to me. When I do my devotions in the morning then after I pray in I pray for the whole armor of God. Each day something different will come to mind from the various pieces of armor. But they all make me well aware of Satan trying to get the word out of my life. That's what's not going to happen. I've got a little something for you about the worries of this life...

January 18

You Have Nothing to Worry About

Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully.
1 PETER 5:7

Worrying is totally useless. I was a worrier, so I know what a stronghold it can become in our lives. I also know that it is a bad habit that is not easily broken, but since all things are possible with God, then it is possible for us to live free from worry, anxiety, and fear. If you are willing to give up worrying, then you will be able to enter into an attitude of celebration. You can trust God and enjoy life while He solves your problems.

Nothing is outside of God’s control, so in reality there is nothing to worry about. When we begin to look at worry in a realistic manner, we see how totally useless it is. Our minds revolve endlessly around and around a problem, searching for answers that only God has. We may ponder a thing and ask God for wisdom, but we do not have God’s permission to worry. Pondering a thing in God is peaceful, but worrying can be torment. When we worry, we torment ourselves! We can pray and ask God to help us not to worry, but ultimately we must choose to put our thoughts on something other than our problems. A refusal to worry is proof that we trust God and it releases Him to go to work on our behalf.

I wonder how much of our mental time is spent worrying, reasoning, and fearing—possibly more than is spent on anything else. Instead of meditating on our problems, let’s choose to meditate on the “alls” of God. He says you can cast “… [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you…” (1 Pet. 5:7). Let us realize how unlimited His power is and trust Him to do what we cannot do.
Trust in Him What are you worried about? Do you believe God will take care of you, do what you can’t do, and work every situation out for good? Then give yourself permission to stop worrying. Make your trust in Him more powerful than your worries!

Joyce Meyer, Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions

And shall a Christian continue to abide in a state of a sinful nature/disposition?

And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. (1 Cor. 3:1 NKJ)

For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God (Heb. 5:12 NKJ)

The Hidden Teaching of the Parables

Justin Johnson
There are two mistakes people make when trying to understand the parables of Jesus.

1. They think they are intended to make things clearer.
2. They think they were given to reveal truth about the church today.
Parable Riddles

A parable is not a children’s story, illustration, or proverb. A parable is not intended to make things clear, but to teach a hidden meaning through fiction, allegory, or a riddle.

Why would someone speak in parables? This is exactly what the disciples asked Jesus after he told the parable of the sower (Matt 13:10). His response was so that certain people would not see, hear, and know (Matt 13:11-15).

The disciples of Jesus repeatedly asked Jesus to explain the parables after they were spoken. Unto them a clearer explanation was given, but to the others it was not.

The parables of Jesus were hidden teachings to the crowd that he taught clearly at other times to his disciples.

Parables About Christ’s Ministry to Israel

A failure to rightly divide Christ’s ministry to Israel from Christ’s ministry to the church has led to an attempt to force the church of today into the parables where it does not belong.

The parables do not speak of the gospel of the grace of God, the preaching of the cross, or the Body of Christ. These were all kept secret until revealed later to the apostle Paul.

The parables of Jesus spoke of prophetic things, Israel, and mysteries of the kingdom (not the body of Christ). See Rom 15:8.

Hidden Teaching Made Clear

The parables themselves are fictions, allegories, and riddles, but Jesus said their meaning should be clear to the remnant of Israel who believed he was the Messiah.

When the parables are compared to Jesus’ clear teaching to the little flock of Israel, their meanings become much easier and very plain.

There are at least seven different things taught in parables that were hidden to those without ears to hear, but were taught at other times clearly to the disciples.

Many of the greater parables, such as the parable of the sower, the prodigal son, and the marriage feast, contain more than one of these teachings.

1. Christ came to seek and save that which is lost (Mat 18:11; Luke 19:10).

The parable of the lost sheep and the good Samaritan speak about this principle that Israel was lost and Christ came as their shepherd to bring them back into the flock. Jesus told his disciples to go to the “lost sheep of the house of Israel” (Matt 10:6). Israel that did not consider itself lost would not be looking for the Shepherd.

2. Sell all (Matt 13:46; Luke 12:33).

Rich men had a hard time following Jesus, but his disciples knew exactly what he was saying when he instructed them to sell everything they had. A handful of parables speak about this including the parable of the rich man (Luke 12:16-21).

3. First shall be last; last shall be first (Matt 19:30).

Jesus taught this principle repeatedly to his disciples who were constantly vying for a top seat in the kingdom thrones. Jesus taught them to be humble, serve one another, and be last. The parable of the faithful servant and others teach this same thing (Matt 24:45-51).

4. Many are called, but few are chosen (Matt 22:14; Matt 20:16).

Jesus came to cause division in Israel (Luke 12:51). Though the gospel would be preached to all, only some of Israel would enter the kingdom. It is the corruption of this teaching to Israel that has led to the errors of Calvinism. Parables such as the the parable of the net and the gathering in the wheat with the tares speak to this.

5. Ye shall know them by their fruit (Matt 7:16).

When many in Israel thought the kingdom promises would come to them by virtue of their heritage and roots, Jesus taught it will only come to those plants that bear fruit. Jesus used fig trees and the tares to parable this teaching.

6. The Lord leaves and returns (Matt 25:14-20).

According to the prophecy, Israel expected the Messiah to come once and setup his kingdom. A prophetic mystery was that Christ would come, leave, and return to setup his kingdom. His disciples were privy to this information in the parables, but those who did not know Christ did not know.

7.Watch, prepare and be ready; for ye know not when (Matt 24:42).

Jesus taught his disciples many times to prepare themselves for his departure and his return in judgment. They must endure to the end to be saved, and if they fell asleep, were caught unprepared, or fell away then they would lose their seat in the kingdom. The parable of the ten virgins is the classic example of this teaching.

Conclusion

The parables do not speak at all about the dispensation of God’s grace, the mystery of Christ, or the church that is one Body. What they do teach is what the remnant of Israel needed to know to inherit their promised kingdom.

Those that had ears to hear understood.

Today, if we have eyes to see the revelation of the mystery, then we understand that the parables contained teaching to remnant Israel and not to the church today.

No we are to abide in Christ.

To “abide” is to live, continue, or remain; so, to abide in Christ is to live in Him or remain in Him. When a person is saved, he or she is described as being “in Christ” (Romans 8:1; 2 Corinthians 5:17), held secure in a permanent relationship (John 10:28–29). Therefore, abiding in Christ is not a special level of Christian experience, rather, it is the position of all true believers. The difference between those abiding in Christ and those not abiding in Christ is the difference between the saved and the unsaved.

Abiding in Christ is taught in 1 John 2:5–6, where it is synonymous with “knowing” Christ (verses 2 and 3). Later in the same chapter, John equates “remaining” in the Father and the Son with having the promise of eternal life (verses 24 and 25). Biblically, “abiding in,” “remaining in,” and “knowing” Christ are references to the same thing: salvation.

The phrase abiding in Christ pictures an intimate, close relationship, and not just a superficial acquaintance. In John 15:4–7, Jesus tells His disciples that drawing life from Him is essential, using the picture of branches united to a vine: “Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” Without that vital union with Christ that salvation provides, there can be no life and no productivity. Elsewhere, the Bible likens our relationship with Christ to that of a body with a head (Colossians 1:18)—another essential union.

Some people take the warning of John 15:6 (branches that do not abide in the vine are thrown away and burned) to mean that Christians are always in danger of losing their salvation. In other words, they say it’s possible to be saved but not “abide,” in which case we would be cast away. But this could only be true if “abiding” were separate from salvation, referring to a state of intimacy with Christ we must strive to attain post-salvation. The Bible is clear that salvation comes by grace and is maintained by grace (Galatians 3:2–3). Also, if a branch could somehow fall away from the vine, resulting in the loss of salvation, then other, very clear passages of Scripture would be contradicted (see John 10:27–30).

It is best to interpret the True Vine metaphor this way: Jesus is the True Vine, obviously. The branches who “abide” in Him are the truly saved—they have a real and vital connection to the Savior. The withered branches who do not “abide” in Him are the unsaved pretenders who feigned an attachment to the Vine but drew no life from Him. In the end, the pretenders will be seen for what they were: hangers-on who had no authentic attachment to Jesus. For a while, both Peter and Judas seemed identical in their walk with Christ. But Peter was attached to the Vine; Judas was not.

John restates the withered-branch principle this way: “They [people now opposed to Christ] went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us” (1 John 2:19).

One of the proofs of salvation is perseverance, or sustained abiding in Christ. The saved will continue in their walk with Christ (see Revelation 2:26). That is, they will “abide” or remain in Him. God will complete His work in them (Philippians 1:6), and they will bring forth much fruit to the glory of God (John 15:5). Those who fall away, turn their backs on Christ, or fail to abide simply show their lack of saving faith. Abiding is not what saves us, but it is one of the signs of salvation.

Proofs of abiding in Christ (i.e., proofs that one is truly saved and not just pretending) include obedience to Christ’s commands (John 15:10; 1 John 3:24); following Jesus’ example (1 John 2:6); living free from habitual sin (1 John 3:6); and the awareness of a divine presence within one’s life (1 John 4:13).

View Source

And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. (1 Cor. 3:1 NKJ)

For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God (Heb. 5:12 NKJ)
Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Rom 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
Rom 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Slaves to Righteousness
Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
Rom 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
Rom 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
Rom 6:20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
Rom 6:21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
Rom 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

τι ουν ερουμεν επιμενουμεν τη αμαρτια ινα η χαρις πλεοναση
μη γενοιτο οιτινες απεθανομεν τη αμαρτια πως ετι ζησομεν εν αυτη
η αγνοειτε οτι οσοι εβαπτισθημεν εις χριστον ιησουν εις τον θανατον αυτου εβαπτισθημεν
συνεταφημεν ουν αυτω δια του βαπτισματος εις τον θανατον ινα ωσπερ ηγερθη χριστος εκ νεκρων δια της δοξης του πατρος ουτως και ημεις εν καινοτητι ζωης περιπατησωμεν
ει γαρ συμφυτοι γεγοναμεν τω ομοιωματι του θανατου αυτου αλλα και της αναστασεως εσομεθα
τουτο γινωσκοντες οτι ο παλαιος ημων ανθρωπος συνεσταυρωθη ινα καταργηθη το σωμα της αμαρτιας του μηκετι δουλευειν ημας τη αμαρτια
ο γαρ αποθανων δεδικαιωται απο της αμαρτιας
ει δε απεθανομεν συν χριστω πιστευομεν οτι και συζησομεν αυτω
ειδοτες οτι χριστος εγερθεις εκ νεκρων ουκετι αποθνησκει θανατος αυτου ουκετι κυριευει
ο γαρ απεθανεν τη αμαρτια απεθανεν εφαπαξ ο δε ζη ζη τω θεω
ουτως και υμεις λογιζεσθε εαυτους νεκρους μεν ειναι τη αμαρτια ζωντας δε τω θεω εν χριστω ιησου τω κυριω ημων
μη ουν βασιλευετω η αμαρτια εν τω θνητω υμων σωματι εις το υπακουειν αυτη εν ταις επιθυμιαις αυτου
μηδε παριστανετε τα μελη υμων οπλα αδικιας τη αμαρτια αλλα παραστησατε εαυτους τω θεω ως εκ νεκρων ζωντας και τα μελη υμων οπλα δικαιοσυνης τω θεω
αμαρτια γαρ υμων ου κυριευσει ου γαρ εστε υπο νομον αλλ υπο χαριν
Slaves to Righteousness
τι ουν αμαρτησομεν οτι ουκ εσμεν υπο νομον αλλ υπο χαριν μη γενοιτο
ουκ οιδατε οτι ω παριστανετε εαυτους δουλους εις υπακοην δουλοι εστε ω υπακουετε ητοι αμαρτιας εις θανατον η υπακοης εις δικαιοσυνην
χαρις δε τω θεω οτι ητε δουλοι της αμαρτιας υπηκουσατε δε εκ καρδιας εις ον παρεδοθητε τυπον διδαχης
ελευθερωθεντες δε απο της αμαρτιας εδουλωθητε τη δικαιοσυνη
ανθρωπινον λεγω δια την ασθενειαν της σαρκος υμων ωσπερ γαρ παρεστησατε τα μελη υμων δουλα τη ακαθαρσια και τη ανομια εις την ανομιαν ουτως νυν παραστησατε τα μελη υμων δουλα τη δικαιοσυνη εις αγιασμον
οτε γαρ δουλοι ητε της αμαρτιας ελευθεροι ητε τη δικαιοσυνη
τινα ουν καρπον ειχετε τοτε εφ οις νυν επαισχυνεσθε το γαρ τελος εκεινων θανατος
νυνι δε ελευθερωθεντες απο της αμαρτιας δουλωθεντες δε τω θεω εχετε τον καρπον υμων εις αγιασμον το δε τελος ζωην αιωνιον
τα γαρ οψωνια της αμαρτιας θανατος το δε χαρισμα του θεου ζωη αιωνιος εν χριστω ιησου τω κυριω ημων

To “abide” is to live, continue, or remain; so, to abide in Christ is to live in Him or remain in Him. When a person is saved, he or she is described as being “in Christ” (Romans 8:1; 2 Corinthians 5:17), held secure in a permanent relationship (John 10:28–29). Therefore, abiding in Christ is not a special level of Christian experience, rather, it is the position of all true believers. The difference between those abiding in Christ and those not abiding in Christ is the difference between the saved and the unsaved.

Abiding in Christ is taught in 1 John 2:5–6, where it is synonymous with “knowing” Christ (verses 2 and 3). Later in the same chapter, John equates “remaining” in the Father and the Son with having the promise of eternal life (verses 24 and 25). Biblically, “abiding in,” “remaining in,” and “knowing” Christ are references to the same thing: salvation.

The phrase abiding in Christ pictures an intimate, close relationship, and not just a superficial acquaintance. In John 15:4–7, Jesus tells His disciples that drawing life from Him is essential, using the picture of branches united to a vine: “Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” Without that vital union with Christ that salvation provides, there can be no life and no productivity. Elsewhere, the Bible likens our relationship with Christ to that of a body with a head (Colossians 1:18)—another essential union.

Some people take the warning of John 15:6 (branches that do not abide in the vine are thrown away and burned) to mean that Christians are always in danger of losing their salvation. In other words, they say it’s possible to be saved but not “abide,” in which case we would be cast away. But this could only be true if “abiding” were separate from salvation, referring to a state of intimacy with Christ we must strive to attain post-salvation. The Bible is clear that salvation comes by grace and is maintained by grace (Galatians 3:2–3). Also, if a branch could somehow fall away from the vine, resulting in the loss of salvation, then other, very clear passages of Scripture would be contradicted (see John 10:27–30).

It is best to interpret the True Vine metaphor this way: Jesus is the True Vine, obviously. The branches who “abide” in Him are the truly saved—they have a real and vital connection to the Savior. The withered branches who do not “abide” in Him are the unsaved pretenders who feigned an attachment to the Vine but drew no life from Him. In the end, the pretenders will be seen for what they were: hangers-on who had no authentic attachment to Jesus. For a while, both Peter and Judas seemed identical in their walk with Christ. But Peter was attached to the Vine; Judas was not.

John restates the withered-branch principle this way: “They [people now opposed to Christ] went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us” (1 John 2:19).

One of the proofs of salvation is perseverance, or sustained abiding in Christ. The saved will continue in their walk with Christ (see Revelation 2:26). That is, they will “abide” or remain in Him. God will complete His work in them (Philippians 1:6), and they will bring forth much fruit to the glory of God (John 15:5). Those who fall away, turn their backs on Christ, or fail to abide simply show their lack of saving faith. Abiding is not what saves us, but it is one of the signs of salvation.

Proofs of abiding in Christ (i.e., proofs that one is truly saved and not just pretending) include obedience to Christ’s commands (John 15:10; 1 John 3:24); following Jesus’ example (1 John 2:6); living free from habitual sin (1 John 3:6); and the awareness of a divine presence within one’s life (1 John 4:13).

View Source
Got Questions?

Right-I'll give this one a pass.

View Source
Got Questions?-Right, I'll give this one a pass over.
Thanks.
J.

Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Rom 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
Rom 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Slaves to Righteousness
Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
Rom 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
Rom 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
Rom 6:20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
Rom 6:21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
Rom 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

τι ουν ερουμεν επιμενουμεν τη αμαρτια ινα η χαρις πλεοναση
μη γενοιτο οιτινες απεθανομεν τη αμαρτια πως ετι ζησομεν εν αυτη
η αγνοειτε οτι οσοι εβαπτισθημεν εις χριστον ιησουν εις τον θανατον αυτου εβαπτισθημεν
συνεταφημεν ουν αυτω δια του βαπτισματος εις τον θανατον ινα ωσπερ ηγερθη χριστος εκ νεκρων δια της δοξης του πατρος ουτως και ημεις εν καινοτητι ζωης περιπατησωμεν
ει γαρ συμφυτοι γεγοναμεν τω ομοιωματι του θανατου αυτου αλλα και της αναστασεως εσομεθα
τουτο γινωσκοντες οτι ο παλαιος ημων ανθρωπος συνεσταυρωθη ινα καταργηθη το σωμα της αμαρτιας του μηκετι δουλευειν ημας τη αμαρτια
ο γαρ αποθανων δεδικαιωται απο της αμαρτιας
ει δε απεθανομεν συν χριστω πιστευομεν οτι και συζησομεν αυτω
ειδοτες οτι χριστος εγερθεις εκ νεκρων ουκετι αποθνησκει θανατος αυτου ουκετι κυριευει
ο γαρ απεθανεν τη αμαρτια απεθανεν εφαπαξ ο δε ζη ζη τω θεω
ουτως και υμεις λογιζεσθε εαυτους νεκρους μεν ειναι τη αμαρτια ζωντας δε τω θεω εν χριστω ιησου τω κυριω ημων
μη ουν βασιλευετω η αμαρτια εν τω θνητω υμων σωματι εις το υπακουειν αυτη εν ταις επιθυμιαις αυτου
μηδε παριστανετε τα μελη υμων οπλα αδικιας τη αμαρτια αλλα παραστησατε εαυτους τω θεω ως εκ νεκρων ζωντας και τα μελη υμων οπλα δικαιοσυνης τω θεω
αμαρτια γαρ υμων ου κυριευσει ου γαρ εστε υπο νομον αλλ υπο χαριν
Slaves to Righteousness
τι ουν αμαρτησομεν οτι ουκ εσμεν υπο νομον αλλ υπο χαριν μη γενοιτο
ουκ οιδατε οτι ω παριστανετε εαυτους δουλους εις υπακοην δουλοι εστε ω υπακουετε ητοι αμαρτιας εις θανατον η υπακοης εις δικαιοσυνην
χαρις δε τω θεω οτι ητε δουλοι της αμαρτιας υπηκουσατε δε εκ καρδιας εις ον παρεδοθητε τυπον διδαχης
ελευθερωθεντες δε απο της αμαρτιας εδουλωθητε τη δικαιοσυνη
ανθρωπινον λεγω δια την ασθενειαν της σαρκος υμων ωσπερ γαρ παρεστησατε τα μελη υμων δουλα τη ακαθαρσια και τη ανομια εις την ανομιαν ουτως νυν παραστησατε τα μελη υμων δουλα τη δικαιοσυνη εις αγιασμον
οτε γαρ δουλοι ητε της αμαρτιας ελευθεροι ητε τη δικαιοσυνη
τινα ουν καρπον ειχετε τοτε εφ οις νυν επαισχυνεσθε το γαρ τελος εκεινων θανατος
νυνι δε ελευθερωθεντες απο της αμαρτιας δουλωθεντες δε τω θεω εχετε τον καρπον υμων εις αγιασμον το δε τελος ζωην αιωνιον
τα γαρ οψωνια της αμαρτιας θανατος το δε χαρισμα του θεου ζωη αιωνιος εν χριστω ιησου τω κυριω ημων

Got Questions?-Right, I'll give this one a pass over.
Thanks.
J.
Give it the Pass over three times :ROFLMAO:

Excuse me? You asked me a question, I give you an answer. End of story. You don't like my answer that's your problem. I don't need any permission from you.
Made Partakers of Christ
by Pastor J. C. O'Hair

It is quite interesting to compare Hebrews 2:14 with Hebrews 3:14, and to note why Christ was made partaker of flesh and blood. It required Christ’s death and resurrection to destroy Satan’s “death” power. In the next chapter we learn that believing sinners delivered by Christ are partakers of Christ.

“Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, He also Himself likewise took part of the same; that through death He might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the Devil.” Hebrews 2:14.

“For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the end.” Heb. 3:14.

The spiritual benefits that have come to believers have come because of the death and resurrection of the eternal, omnipotent and sinless Christ. It was on the cross of Calvary that Christ was made sin, and we, thereby, have been made the righteousness of God in Him. II Corinthians 5:21. He was made for a little while lower than the angels for the suffering of death. Hebrews 2:9. Christ suffered for sins once, the Just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God. I Peter 3: 18.

Because of the suffering, death and resurrection of the Son of God we have been made partakers of Christ. This Greek word “partakers” is “Metoches” meaning a “participant”, a “sharer” or a “partner”.

Perhaps we have tried to inventory all that we have in Christ, our possessions, our riches, our spiritual blessings; and we have scarcely dared to believe all that God’s Word tells us that we have, and all that we are, and all that we are yet to be in Christ. We are partakers of Christ. In Him “all things” and “all spiritual blessings” are ours.

Six or seven different Greek words are translated “partaker” in the Scriptures. These words are used by the Holy Spirit to tell us what it means to be a partaker of Christ. Believers are joint-heirs with Christ and are joined to Christ in an inseparable and eternal union; members of His Body, seated with Him and blessed in Him with all spiritual blessings in the heavenlies. So we join with Paul in “Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light” Colossians 1:12. This Greek word “partaker”, is “meris”, meaning to “get as an allotment”, “to receive a portion”. What a portion! What an allotment! We receive it, by grace, through faith. God made us meet, or literally, “qualified” us. We are God’s workmanship. God did the work. He wrought the Divine transformation. He placed Christ where He is, far above in the heavenlies, and placed us in Christ. When we were dead He made us alive and raised us up. We are God’s workmanship. As partakers of Christ:

We are partakers of the Divine nature. II Peter 1:4

We are partakers of His holiness. Hebrews 12:10

We are partakers of the Holy Spirit. Hebrews 6:4

We are partakers of the heavenly calling. Hebrews 3:1

We are partakers of His sufferings. I Peter 4:13

We are partakers of God’s promise in Christ. Ephesians 3:6

We are partakers of grace. Philippians 1:7

We are partakers of fruit. II Timothy 2:6

We are partakers of the afflictions of the Gospel. II Timothy 1:8

We are partakers of Christ’s glory. I Peter 5: 1.

It is very interesting to trace the meanings of the different words translated “partaker” and learn of our intimate relationship, partnership and fellowship with Christ; “joint-heirs”, “sharers”, “partners”, “Co-partners”. “In Christ” and “Christ in us”. Christ partook of our nature that we might partake of His nature. We partake of His sufferings that we might partake of His glory. As the Captain of our salvation, He was made perfect through suffering.

We are partakers of the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. By that grace He became poor that we, through His poverty, might become rich. The Gospel has made us rich. The Gospel has brought us peace. It is called the “gospel of peace”. Christ made peace by the blood of the cross. Christ is our peace.

Paul seems to have reached the highest expression of the Gospel of Christ when he wrote to Timothy concerning “the gospel of the glory of the Blessed God, committed to my trust.” I Timothy 1:11. Grace and glory are combined in that gospel, which offers grace and glory to every beneficiary, and declares “As He is, so are we in the world”. I John 4:17.

What a spiritual treat, what an abundant feast! Let us spiritually, seriously, prayerfully read that wonderful prayer of the Lord Jesus, John 17:9 to 26, and learn of our union, partnership, eternal glorious fellowship in the Son and in the Father. Then later on in the Book we learn that it has been the delight of the Holy Spirit to be the instrument with the Word of God to bring it about. II Thessalonians 2:13. It means much to be a partaker of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is in the believer. The believer is in the Spirit. The believer is to walk in the Spirit, to be filled with the Spirit, and to manifest the fruit of the Spirit, as he is led and instructed by the Holy Spirit.

The partaker of Christ is the partaker of the Divine nature, because God has created in that believer the new man in righteousness and true holiness, after God’s own image. Christ is the believer’s holiness. I Corinthians 1:30.

Everything that the believer needs to please God has been provided in Christ; even the grace, the boldness, the humility, the power to be a partaker of the afflictions of the Gospel. The true Grace preacher must suffer as an evil-doer to make Paul’s gospel known. “Be not ashamed,” are the words in this connection. II Timothy 1:5 to 12. It is an up-to-date admonition. Preachers and Christian workers of today are ashamed and afraid to be partakers of the affliction of that unmixed gospel. They join up with a semi-religious movement for protection, for security and for advantage. They limit the Holy Spirit, as they take off the keen edge of the affliction of Paul’s Gospel. But if we suffer with Christ and Paul, and follow Paul as he instructed us, we will be glorified and reign with Christ. This should encourage us to an uncompromising, unmixed testimony in this religious day of confusion, compromise and condemnation.

For we are partakers of Christ’s glory that shall be revealed. I Peter 5:1. Hear the prayer of Christ in John 17:22, 24 and I Peter 5:10 and 11.

“And the glory which Thou gavest Me, I have given them; that they may be one, even as We are one.”

“Father, I will that they also, whom Thou hast given Me, be with Me where I am; that they may behold My glory, which Thou hast given Me; for Thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.”

“But the God of all grace, Who hath called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. To Him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watch Out!
“Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ” (Col. 2:8).

Concerned about the Colossian believers being influenced by false teachings that would lead them away from Christ, Paul wrote, “Beware!” The word rendered “Beware” means to see, to discern, to take heed, but in the context of the spiritual dangers it conveys the idea of “Look out!” “Watch out!” “Take note!” The Body of Christ is taught here to be on guard, alert, and to keep a watchful eye.

We are to do so “lest any man spoil you.” Now, this isn’t the kind of spoiling that grandparents do to their grandchildren; rather, it literally means to carry one off as a captive. We’ve probably all heard of the “spoils of war,” or the adage, “To the victor go the spoils.” In biblical times, the spoils were the gold, silver, goods, merchandise, and livestock taken by the victorious army. Spoils were also many times people, as they would be taken away as prisoners to be made slaves in the homeland of the victors.

Paul’s concern was that the Colossians’ faith would be overthrown and they would be carried off as slaves to the beliefs of false teachers. Paul had just taught the Colossians of the need to be “rooted and built up in Him [Christ], and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught” (v. 7). This rooting and grounding and being established in our faith are so that we do not become spoiled or carried away by those who would seek to capture us by false teaching and lead us away from the Lord.

Paul tells us that one way believers can be entrapped and carried away from Christ is “through philosophy and vain deceit” (v. 8). The term “philosophy” is made up of two Greek words, phileo and sophia. Phileo refers to brotherly love and sophia means wisdom. Putting them together, philosophy literally means the love of wisdom. There is nothing wrong with loving wisdom, as long as it is the right kind of wisdom, the wisdom of God. However, the wisdom Paul warns against here is a godless wisdom of man that spoils and leads one away from the Word of God and the simplicity and truth that is in Christ.

The philosophy that Paul is referencing is the type that is “vain deceit.” The words “vain deceit” refer to empty lies, devoid of truth. Revelation 12:9 informs us that Satan “deceiveth the whole world.” And by his influence, there is much vain deceit and philosophical nonsense surrounding us in the world today.

“It is said that the great French philosopher, Sartre, summed up all of life with the statement, ‘To do is to be.’ Camus, his contemporary, summed up all of life with a conflicting statement, ‘To be is to do!’ Then Frank Sinatra came along and put them both together in a song: ‘Do-be-do-be-do!’”

Human philosophy can be contradictory, is constantly changing, and can be nonsense. As we know, the pursuit and love of man’s philosophies is an empty idol to many in this world, an idol which cannot truly meet the needs of the soul. It’s been said well that “Philosophy is the search for truth. In Jesus, the search ends.”3 As our apostle wrote a few verses prior to our main text, “In Whom [Christ] are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Col. 2:3). We find the truth and true wisdom by looking to Christ Jesus.

Paul wrote that we need to beware of philosophies that are empty lies, and are “after the tradition of men.” The empty philosophies of men often gain supposed authority in that they are from antiquity and have been handed down and believed to be true for so long. They arise out of the thinking of men, find a foothold in society, and then are passed along from generation to generation, thereby appearing popular and widely supported as something “everybody knows.” But just because people have believed something and handed it down through the years does not make it true. Tradition may merely serve to perpetuate error.

Paul further wrote that philosophy is “after the rudiments of the world.” The word “rudiments” means that which is basic or elementary, and the Greek word from which “rudiments” is translated can refer to the spoken sounds of the letters of the alphabet. Rudiments of the world are those basic principles—the building blocks—that get combined to make up the teaching of the material world. This shows us that, in God’s eyes, philosophy isn’t advanced, deep, or new knowledge (Eccl. 1:9-11), but actually finds its basis in the ABCs and most elementary principles of this world.

Finally, Paul warns us of philosophy of the type that is “not after Christ.” This is the foremost reason that we must “Beware.” Any philosophy, teaching, or belief that is “not after Christ,” and which disregards, belittles, or leads us away from Him, is satanic, dangerous, and something that we must reject.

Back
Top Bottom