The Gospel of Grace

An amazing thing I found is, with such a strong understanding of grace—

It was very easy for me to feel smug and good about how much I understood, instead of humbled—secret pride.

Certain groups don't have a reputation for condescension for no reason—it's just really easy to not realize it's happening.

Might as well toss another hat in the ring. One of these has got to be true and the rest are anathema.

I'll bet on mine being the truth. :)

In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and the Torah was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel of Grace. The Psalms express an extremely positive view of the Torah, such as with David repeatedly saying that he loved it and delighted in obeying it, so if consider the Psalms to be Scripture and to therefore express a correct view of God's law, then we will view that Gospel message as being very good news.

All throughout the Bible, God wanted His people to repent and return to obedience to His law, so He does not then turn around and hold the people who do that in contempt by viewing our works as being filthy rags. In Isaiah 64:6, it is not God speaking, but rather it is the people hyperbolically complaining about God not coming down and making His presence known. In reality, the righteous deeds of the saints are like fine white linen (Revelation 19:8). If God's law were His instructions for how to justify ourselves and God does not want us to do that, then it would follow that God therefore does not want to be obeyed, which is absurd. Christ expresses his righteousness by living in obedience to God's law, so that is also the way that we live when his righteousness is imputed to us, which is why those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6).

God is trustworthy, therefore what He has instructed is also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so the way to rely on God is by relying on what He has instructed, and it is contradictory to think that we are relying on ourselves by relying on what God has instructed. Doing good works is about relying on God, not about trying to be good enough. God's law is God's word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, so it is contradictory to trust in God's word made flesh instead of trusting in God's word.

Back
Top Bottom