The exaggerations associated with the teaching of "Total Depravity".

praise_yeshua

First, I'll say that my theology is around 90 to 95 percent compatible with the traditional teachings of total depravity. However, there are some extreme positions that have been fostered from the teaching.

I'll start with the most glaring (in my view)

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Jesus appeals to "love" that exists among humanity in John 15:13. There are many many examples of how human beings love one another to the point of giving their own lives for others. Think... Policemen. Fireman. Rescuers, Fathers, Mothers, and etc........

I'll ask a simple question. How can this possibly be IF not for qualities originating in God passed to human that remained after the fall? Innate qualities in humanity gifted from Divinity.

There is no greater love from humanity to humanity than for one person to give their life for another. Such is "God like".....

It is rather evident that man is not so total depraved that he can't personally experience/express such love. Such love is pure.

Another is with the application there is "none righteous".....

Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Rom 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
Rom 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

My highlight above is to draw attention to the portion of Scripture often ignored in "total depravity".... Not that I don't believe all men are unrighteous. However, there is a reason for this that is not related solely to the sin of Adam.

First, we must recognize the "they" of Romans 3:12 can not possibly be Adam and Eve. If they are not, then just who is it referenced here?

To be clear, I'm not challenging the universal application of results of sin in humanity. I am challenging how it is traditionally constructed by some. It is very important that we construct such doctrines properly as to leave no room for misapplying it.

Death is sure for all of humanity regardless of individual performance.

Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

However, appealing to Adam and Eve as being the "they" of Romans 3:12 is not accurate. Man, at his best, throughout time, have ALL become unprofitable and Jesus Christ died to redeem humanity.

Back
Top Bottom