National Bash Calvinism Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

It seems that some here have gone a rampage against Calvinists. In my judgment, the problem is nothing new and I understand it goes both way chiefly on the Internet and has been made possible and easy to accomplish by the new media.”

I understand how that when we read articles and books written by Calvinist it's easy To feel the need to lash out. Here's an example.

ONE OF THE MOST extraordinary, yet revealing statements I have ever read from a Christian writer is the following by classic Calvinist theologian Arthur W. Pink: “When we say that God is sovereign in the exercise of His love, we mean that He loves whom he chooses. God does not love everybody . . . .”

To me that's the biggest mistake Calvinism makes.

“When we say that God is sovereign in the exercise of His love, we mean that He loves whom he chooses. God does not love everybody.” A. W. Pink

If you heard a pastor preaching a sermon, and he told you, “God does not love everybody” would you not be startled? Is not the very heart of the gospel that God loves everyone? Is that not the good news that we joyfully share with all persons?

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life” John 3:16

The doctrine of total depravity is the teaching that sin has affected our total person, that our whole being is sinful and in need of salvation. That's why Eph 2:4–5 Is so needful and shouldn't be ignored.

But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. (Eph 2:4–5)

It seems that some here have gone a rampage against Calvinists. In my judgment, the problem is nothing new and I understand it goes both way chiefly on the Internet and has been made possible and easy to accomplish by the new media.”

I understand how that when we read articles and books written by Calvinist it's easy To feel the need to lash out. Here's an example.

ONE OF THE MOST extraordinary, yet revealing statements I have ever read from a Christian writer is the following by classic Calvinist theologian Arthur W. Pink: “When we say that God is sovereign in the exercise of His love, we mean that He loves whom he chooses. God does not love everybody . . . .”

“When we say that God is sovereign in the exercise of His love, we mean that He loves whom he chooses. God does not love everybody.” A. W. Pink

If you heard a pastor preaching a sermon, and he told you, “God does not love everybody” would you not be startled? Is not the very heart of the gospel that God loves everyone? Is that not the good news that we joyfully share with all persons?

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life” John 3:16

The doctrine of total depravity is the teaching that sin has affected our total person, that our whole being is sinful and in need of salvation. That's why Eph 2:4–5 Is so needful and shouldn't be ignored.

But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. (Eph 2:4–5)
You're a real comedian :ROFLMAO: Let me go get my hockey stick out of the closet.

If it's true (and I believe it is), then why is it a mistake?

"Jacob I loved but Esau I hated". Even if you translate the word "hated" as "loved less", you have scriptural proof right there that God does not love everyone equally. And you have an entire old testament history of God loving some and hating others. God doesn't command His people to go into a land and kill everyone, including mothers and children, if God loves those people equally.

The only thing I would call a mistake is if you go around telling people God loves some of you but not all of you. We have no way of knowing if God loves all of the hearers, some of the hearers, or none of the hearers. So there's no point in saying that.

self edit. My mistake.

"Jacob I loved but Esau I hated". Even if you translate the word "hated" as "loved less", you have scriptural proof right there that God does not love everyone equally. And you have an entire old testament history of God loving some and hating others. God doesn't command His people to go into a land and kill everyone, including mothers and children, if God loves those people equally.

The only thing I would call a mistake is if you go around telling people God loves some of you but not all of you. We have no way of knowing if God loves all of the hearers, some of the hearers, or none of the hearers. So there's no point in saying that.
I think God loves all of his creation.

You're telling others that God doesn't love them. If He did, He would "DRAG" you to Himself.

Why not just admit this? You know it is true.

This issue reminds me of a humor video (I can't find it, it was probably censored on Youtube). Someone goes to a store to buy a religion. And he buys the one with which he's most comfortable.

I'll be closing this thread to further comments as it's inappropriate. I know we can do better than this gentleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom