Mount Hermon Discovery

The Rogue Tomato

From 1 Enoch:

1 And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born to them beautiful and attractive daughters. 2 And the messengers, the children of the heavens, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another, “Come, let us choose wives [for] ourselves from among the children of men and beget children [for] ourselves.” 3 And Semjaza, who was their leader, said to them, “Indeed, I fear you will not agree to do this deed, and I alone will have to pay the penalty of a great sin.” 4 And they all answered him and said, “Let us all swear an oath, and all bind ourselves by mutual imprecations not to abandon this plan but to do this thing.” 5 Then they all swore together and bound themselves by mutual imprecations on it. 6 And they were two hundred in all who descended in the days of Jared on the summit of Mount Hermon, and they called it Mount Hermon, because they had sworn and bound themselves by mutual imprecations on it. 7 And these are the names of their leaders: their leader Semjaza, [and] Araklba, Rameel, Kokablel, Tamlel, Ramlel, Danel, Ezeqeel, Baraqijal, Asael, Armaros, Batarel, Ananel, Zaqiel, Samsapeel, Satarel, Turel, Jomjael, [and] Sariel. 8 These are their chiefs of tens.

A tablet was discovered in 1869 on Mount Hermon by British explorer Sir Charles Warren. It was cut in half for easier transportation and is now in a British museum, although it is no longer on display. Here's a picture of it. It speaks of an oath taken on Mount Hermon, just like it says in the Book of Enoch. Do I think this was created by the angels who swore their oath there? No, absolutely not. First of all, it's written in ancient Greek. Why would Angels write in ancient Greek pre-flood? Second, it's sloppy. I would assume angels have better handwriting. :ROFLMAO: It's probably a sign someone created as an historical marker for the place where the 200 angels swore their oath.

oathpillar-sm.png

Just FYI, no, I don't think the books of Enoch are canonical. But if they were good enough for people like Jude to quote and Peter to reference (which by definition makes those quotes and references canonical), then they're interesting enough for me to read.

Back
Top Bottom