In Calvinism Paul is praying against Gods will

civic

Romans 10:1
Brothers and sisters, my heart’s desireand prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved.

Why would he pray for the reprobate, the vessels of wrath created for destruction in Roman’s 9. Those whom He does not show mercy ?

Romans 9
What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith;31 but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal. 32 Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone. 33 As it is written:

“See, I lay in Zion a stone that causes people to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall,
and the one who believes in him will never be put to shame.”

Romans 11
28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, 29 for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. 30 Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, 31 so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now[h] receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you. 32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Even more powerful, Paul would give up his own election for the reprobate.
Bingo that would be against Gods will in Calvinism.

But Paul right there is proclaiming the very heart of Christ who gave up His own life for all the world, all sinners.

Brothers and sisters, my heart’s desireand prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved.

Why would he pray for the reprobate, the vessels of wrath created for destruction in Roman’s 9. Those whom He does not show mercy ?
But it's worse than that Civic! Let's see how out of line he gets!

That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart. For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Rom 9:1, 3

So who does he think he is wishing for such a thing! If it were meant for him to be saved and on his way to heaven and God wanted the others cursed who is he to want to seek to break the will of God! Seems he needed to read a Calvinist teaching book on accepting the soverirngty of God. Or maybe Calvinists need to throw theirs away?

But it's worse than that Civic! Let's see how out of line he gets!

That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart. For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Rom 9:1, 3

So who does he think he is wishing for such a thing! If it were meant for him to be saved and on his way to heaven and God wanted the others cursed who is he to want to seek to break the will of God! Seems he needed to read a Calvinist teaching book on accepting the soverirngty of God.
You are 100% correct.

Romans 11
28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, 29 for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. 30 Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, 31 so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now[h] receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you. 32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.
32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Sounds like total depravity to me.

You're saying the same thing, only "prettier". Because God has bound everyone over to disobedience, he is under no obligation to show mercy to anyone.
God is never under obligation to man, regardless of man’s obedience! Does not God say to Paul, “My Grace is sufficient”? Paul wasn’t bound up in disobedience.

Doug

Just another reason NOT to pay attention to "isms".

Back
Top Bottom