God's Love And Presence

Combatting Fear With Prayer

…The earnest (heartfelt, continued) prayer of a righteous man makes tremendous power available [dynamic in its working].
— JAMES 5:16

Fear attacks everyone. It is Satan’s way of tormenting us and preventing us from going forward so we cannot enjoy the life Jesus died to give us.
Fears are not realities, they are False Evidence Appearing Real. But if we accept the fears that Satan offers and give voice to them, we open the door for the enemy and close the door to God.

Faith is released through prayer, which makes tremendous power available, dynamic in its working.

Satan seeks to weaken us through fear, but God strengthens us as we fellowship with Him in prayer. The Bible teaches us to watch and pray. (Matthew 26:41.) I believe the major reference in this passage is to watching ourselves and the attacks that the enemy launches against our minds and emotions. When these attacks are detected, we should pray immediately. We may think the attack will go away but we must remember that it is when we pray that power is released against the enemy — not when we think about praying later.

Pray about everything and fear nothing. I believe you will find this decision to be one that will produce more joy and peace for your everyday living.
When fear knocks at the door, let faith answer.

Do This:
Remember that fear is just False Evidence Appearing Real. When fear knocks on your door, let faith answer.

Joyce Meyer, Life in the Word: Devotional

I Will Not Fear!

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear).…
— 2 TIMOTHY 1:7

Fear robs many people of their faith.

Fear of failure, fear of man, and fear of rejection are some of the strongest fears employed by Satan to hinder us from making progress. But no matter what kind of fear the enemy sends against us, the important thing is to overcome it. When we are faced with fear, we must not give in to it. It is imperative to our victory that we determine, “I will not fear!”

The normal reaction to fear is flight. Satan wants us to run; God wants us to stand still and see His deliverance.

Because of fear, many people do not confront issues; they spend their lives running. We must learn to stand our ground and face our fear, secure in the knowledge that we are more than conquerors. (Romans 8:37.)

Fear of failure torments multitudes. We fear what people will think of us if we fail. If we step out and fail, some people may hear about it; but they quickly forget if we forget it and go on. It is better to try something and fail than to try nothing and succeed.
Approach life with boldness. The Spirit of the Lord is in you — so make up your mind not to fear.

Do This:
Face any fears you may have. Determine in your heart that fear will not rule your life. Begin to say, “I will not fear!”

The Spirit of Offense

Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life.
— PROVERBS 4:23

The spirit of offense poisons lives and attitudes. According to Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, the word offense is derived from a Greek word skandalon, which “originally was ‘the name of the part of a trap to which the bait is attached, hence, the trap or snare itself.…’”1 It was the part of the trap that lured or snared an animal.

We easily see that offense is what Satan uses to lure people into full-blown cases of bitterness, resentment, and unforgiveness. Satan uses offense to cause us to stumble and fail to go forward with God.

The temptation to get offended is a trap that should be avoided like the plague. If we would not take poison, we should not take offense. If we would be champions for God we must not be easily offended.

Many people never become what God desires them to be because they get offended. They get bitter. Offense becomes a stumbling block to them, and they never progress beyond that point. They are the loser and the devil is the winner.
No person can do permanent damage to you if you are willing to be mature enough to refuse offense and trust God. This kind of attitude will make you a winner in life.

Say This:
“I will guard against the spirit of offense and will not let it get into my heart or life in any way.”

Strife

And the servant of the Lord must not strive.…
— 2 TIMOTHY 2:24 KJV

Strife is a thief and a robber which we must learn to recognize and deal with quickly. We must control strife before it controls us.
Strife is defined as “the act or state of fighting or quarreling, especially bitterly.…discord.”1 It is bickering, arguing, being involved in a heated disagreement, or shows up as an angry undercurrent. Strife is dangerous. It is a demonic force sent by Satan for the purpose of destruction.

The Bible says to resist the devil at his onset. (1 Peter 5:8,9.) Almost any time someone hurts us, or offends us, anger rises up within us. It is not sin to feel anger. But we must not act out the angry feelings in an ungodly way. We must not hold a grudge or get into bitterness, resentment, or unforgiveness. Ephesians 4:26 says don’t let your wrath, your anger, last until the sun goes down.

A judgmental attitude is an open door for strife. We must remember that mercy triumphs over judgment (James 2:13 NIV). Judgment usually leads to gossip. Gossip begins to spread the strife from person to person. It gets us out of agreement, harmony, and unity. It actually moves us out of the realm of God’s blessings.

When the temptation comes to judge others, and then spread our opinion through gossip and back-biting, we should remember this helpful hint: Let the one among us who is without sin cast the first stone. (John 8:7 KJV.)
Remember: God changes things through prayer and faith, not through judgment and gossip.

Do This:
Every once in a while read Romans, chapter 14, just to remind yourself that we all have different ideas, opinions, and ways of doing things

Do You Fellowship With Your Problem or With God?

Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith.…
— HEBREWS 12:2

Do you fellowship with your problem or with the Lord?

The devil wants us to think about our problem, worry about our problem, talk about and try to reason out our problem. God desires for us to spend time with Him, talk to Him, and think about Him and His Word.

Jesus is the One we are to look to in order to have our needs met. If we dwell in Him, our problem has no power over us, but if we dwell on the problem, we magnify it above Him. The more attention we give our problem, the more we feed it, the more power it has over us.

I remember when my husband and I were having financial struggles. I would give Dave the bad report, and he would give me the Word, telling me to cast my care on the Lord. He would fellowship with God while I fellowshipped with the problem. The more I did so, the more upset I became.
The devil starts the problem rolling. The more you think, worry, reason, talk, plan, and scheme about it, the bigger it gets. If you look to Jesus, you will experience the miracle power of God as you trust in Him.

Do This:
Forget your problems. Don’t think about them, worry about them, or talk about them. Fellowship with God instead, and you will enjoy life tremendously.

Does Stress Have You Tied in Knots?

…In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]
— JOHN 16:33

Stress is on the rise in today’s world. The good news is that, although we Christians may be in the world, we are not of the world. (John 17:11,14.) We do not have to operate on the world’s system — thinking, talking, or acting like the world — and we shouldn’t. In fact, our attitude and approach toward the situations of life should be entirely different from the world’s.

The source of our stress is not really difficulties, circumstances, and situations, but our attitude and approach toward them.
Jesus said that difficulties will come our way, but they do not have to upset us. We don’t have to accept the stress being offered us. We have the privilege of approaching the challenges of everyday life in a calm, peaceful manner.

I believe we can live stress free in a stressful world, but it will require some decisions — possibly some radical decisions.
Allow God’s Spirit to lead you out of a stressful lifestyle into one of peace and joy. Change your attitude and approach, and God will change your circumstance in due time.

Say This:
“I choose to receive God’s grace today to help me live stress free even in the midst of a stressful world.”

What Does Guilt Accomplish?

Therefore, [there is] now no condemnation (no adjudging guilty of wrong) for those who are in Christ Jesus, who live [and] walk not after the dictates of the flesh, but after the dictates of the Spirit.
— ROMANS 8:1

Guilt and condemnation are major problems for many believers.

It is Satan’s greatest delight to make us feel bad about ourselves. He never tells us how far we have come, but rather, he constantly reminds us of how far we still have to go.When the enemy attacks me, I say, “I’m not where I need to be, but thank God I’m not where I used to be. I’m okay, and I’m on my way.”
Like David, we must learn to keep ourselves encouraged in the Lord. (1 Samuel 30:6.) None of us has arrived at the state of perfection. We cannot perfect ourselves: sanctification (holiness) is the job of the Holy Spirit, and it is worked out in our lives as a process.

The Bible teaches that we can have complete forgiveness of our sins (total freedom from condemnation) through the blood of Jesus Christ. We must decide if Jesus did a complete job or if He didn’t. We don’t need to add our guilt to His sacrifice. He is more than enough.

Let Jesus do His job. He wants to forgive you. All you have to do is receive His forgiveness. Complete forgiveness is completely free!
Say This:
“I’m not where I need to be, but thank God I’m not where I used to be. I’m okay, and I’m on my way.”

Encouragement for the Lonely

…God assured us, “I’ll never let you down, never walk off and leave you.…”
— HEBREWS 13:5

Many people are lonely, often even those who have others around them. The death of a loved one can leave a person lonely and confused as well as feeling abandoned.

Your circumstances do not have to be quite so severe to put you into the category of loneliness. Perhaps you have moved to a new neighborhood, have begun attending a new school, or have just started a new job, and you just don’t seem to fit in yet.

I know what it is like to be lonely. “Social poverty” is under the curse. Learning to like myself and learning to pray for favor have changed my social status, and it will change yours too.

I encourage you to pray for favor. I also encourage you to be friendly. Don’t just wait for someone to fall into your life before you are willing to have fellowship. Beware of being passive. Get involved. Giving always brings joy.

Remember Jesus as He prayed in the garden of Gethsemane. All of His friends had disappointed Him. He needed them for only one hour, and they had let Him down by falling asleep. (Matthew 26:36-43.)

The Lord does indeed know how you feel, and He has promised never to leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5), so that you will be strengthened to press on.

Do This:
If you are lonely, begin to reach out to others. As you reach out, you are sowing seed for your own loneliness to be overcome.

What Should I Do When I Am Hurting?

…forgive.…in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.
— 2 CORINTHIANS 2:10,11

Most people know what it is like to hurt emotionally. Emotional wounding comes through various sources. Satan is the originator of our wounds, and he works through situations and people to hurt us for two major reasons.

First, he enjoys destruction. He wants to build a dam in our lives that consists of emotional wounds.

Second, he wants to control our feelings. The devil knows that when we have been hurt emotionally, we usually act emotionally. If he can hurt our feelings and get us to react accordingly, he will be able to keep us separated from many of God’s blessings.

We cannot expect never to get hurt. But we can expect to learn how to stay in control of our reaction to our hurts. We can expect to be the victor, not the victim.

Here are some things God has shown me we should do to overcome the devil’s schemes:
First, turn to the Holy Spirit, don’t run to people. Second, remain stable during hard times. Third, remember that God is our vindicator; He will see that we are repaid for our pain and loss.

If you are hurting, I exhort you, don’t fall into Satan’s trap: be the victor, not the victim.

Pray This:
“Father, whenever I am hurting, I will run to You. You are the only One Who can comfort me. In Jesus’ name, amen.”

Managing Your Emotions

Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind).… rooted, established, strong, immovable, and determined.…
— 1 PETER 5:8,9

An emotional person is someone who is easily affected with or stirred by emotions. Their conduct is ruled by emotion rather than reason. A person who lives by emotion lives without principle.

We all have emotions, and they are not going away, but we cannot trust them. We should seek God to learn to manage our emotions and not allow them to manage us.

We are created to operate in the fruit of self-control. Self-control is a freedom — not a bondage. We are free to use wisdom, free to obey God, free to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. We are free not to be pushed around by our feelings. We don’t have to do what we feel like doing; we are free to do what we know is wise.

Be honest with yourself in this area. If you believe you are not managing your emotions, begin to pray and seek God about emotional maturity. Remember:

1. He who lives by emotions lives without principle.
2. We all have emotions, but we cannot trust them.
3. We cannot be spiritual (walk in the Spirit) and be led by emotions.
4. Emotions won’t go away, but we can learn to manage them.
Make emotional maturity a priority goal in your life.

Say This:
“I am well-balanced, temperate, and sober of mind. I am rooted, established, strong, immovable, and determined. I am emotionally mature.”

The Inner Life

Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in.
— 1 PETER 3:4

We have an outer life and an inner life. The outer life is our reputation with people. The inner life is our reputation with God.
We need to pay attention to what is going on inside us. Thoughts and inner attitudes, motives, and desires — all of these things are important to the Lord.

As far as God is concerned, the inner person is the real person. A truly powerful Christian is one with a pure heart, one who wholeheartedly serves God.

Our inner life is comprised of our soul and our spirit. Our human spirit is indwelt by the Holy Spirit at the time of the New Birth. God’s will and desire for us, then, is that we desire and allow the Holy Spirit to dwell in our soul also.
Our soul is our mind, our will, and our emotions. Our spirit mingled with the Holy Spirit performs the functions of conscience, intuition, and communion with God.

We must cooperate with God to allow the divine life force that came into our spirit when we were saved to dwell in and be at home in our entire inner being.

May you be challenged to be accountable for your inner life.

Pray This:
“Lord, I allow You to make Your home in my entire inner being — my soul, as well as my spirit. In Jesus’ name, amen.”

You Are Private Property — Reserved for God Alone!

[Inasmuch as we] refute arguments and theories and reasonings and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the [true] knowledge of God; and we lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ.…
— 2 CORINTHIANS 10:5

If we are going to give God glory, we must manifest excellence. An excellent life begins with an excellent thought life and excellent attitudes.
All fruit has a root from which it began. The root of all of our actions is our thoughts. Words come from thoughts. Attitudes begin with thoughts, and emotions (moods) take root in our thought life.

Choosing excellence in one’s thought life is a private thing. No one but God and the individual knows exactly what is going on in his own mind. I call it “inner purity.” Inner purity is a challenge that Christians should be excited about taking on.

In Second Corinthians 10:5 the apostle Paul teaches us to cast down all wrong thoughts that disagree with God’s Word. He is, in essence, saying, “Keep your minds reserved for God’s thoughts (His Word) alone.”

God desires truth in the inward parts. (Psalm 51:6.) I encourage you to begin paying more attention to your thought life. Your words, moods, and attitudes are rooted in it. Dedicate your entire self to God. Live as if you were private property — reserved for God alone!

Say This:
“With God’s help, I determine and purpose in my heart to maintain a godly attitude and to speak only godly words.”

When Is Your Mind Normal?

…be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude].…
— ROMANS 12:2

Every change in our life requires a change in our thinking. God regularly teaches us new ways to think, because we cannot act differently if we don’t think differently.

What would be considered a normal mind for a Christian? Remember, what is normal to the world is not acceptable for God’s children in most areas. For a believer, worry is not normal. Confusion is not normal.

Negative thinking is another type of thinking in which a Christian should not indulge. There are many other kinds of thinking that should be considered abnormal for a child of God.

The Lord has shown me that when we think hateful, mean, judgmental thoughts about people, not only can we injure them, but also judgmental, resentful, unforgiving thought patterns can cause us great harm.

We have an opportunity to think creative, loving thoughts about people and to pray positive, faith-filled prayers.

Use your thought life wisely. Think about other people the way Jesus would, and think about your circumstances in light of God, Who says, Behold, I am the Lord…; is there anything too hard for Me? (Jeremiah 32:27).
Pray This:
“Father, I ask You to teach me new ways to think. Help me to think creative, loving thoughts about others. In Jesus’ name, amen.”

“Me-Minded”

…If anyone intends to come after Me, let him deny himself [forget, ignore, disown, and lose sight of himself and his own interests].…
— MARK 8:34

Having self on the mind all the time insures a miserable life.

I find it a challenge to keep myself off my mind, but the more I obey the Lord’s command in this area, the happier I become.

I think all of us form the habit of trying to take care of ourselves. We want to make plans for ourselves and be sure that we are well provided for.
Obviously, one cannot live without giving some thought to himself and making plans, but when you and I move into a selfish, self-centered mind-set, we are out of God’s will.

Our society promotes “me-ism,” but the Word of God does not.

It is imperative that God’s children resist the magnetic pull of worldly ways and refuse to be excessive in self-centered thinking. I believe many people are depressed because they spend all their time trying to make themselves happy. True joy comes only from giving life away — not from striving to keep it.

Don’t ruin your life by trying to keep it. Be a blessing to others, and you will be blessed. Give and it shall be given unto you. Die to self-centeredness and really begin to live!

Pray This:
“Father, I ask You to deliver me from self-centeredness and transform me into the image of Jesus Christ. In Jesus’ name, amen.”

The Wandering, Wondering Mind

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
— 2 CORINTHIANS 10:5

Do you ever have any difficulty with wandering thoughts? The harnessing of the human mind is often like trying to train a wild animal. Don’t be discouraged. With enough diligence and lots of grace from God, you can win control of your mind.

The key to casting down thoughts and not allowing them to return is to replace wrong thinking with right thinking. Fix your mind on good things. (Philippians 4:8.) Start to think good thoughts on purpose, and you will train yourself to think God-like thoughts.

Wondering about things by turning them over and over in our minds without being able to arrive at a solution leads us into confusion. The Holy Spirit quickened to me that I cannot get confused unless I am trying to figure out something that I need to leave in God’s capable hands.
Negative thinking leads to trouble. Proverbs 23:7 says that as a person thinks in his heart, so is he. I believe our thoughts draw a border for our life, and we must live within that border.

Do This:

Choose your thoughts carefully. Meditate only on good (positive) things. Don’t allow your mind to become preoccupied with wandering, wondering thoughts, or being negative.

Joyce Meyer, Life in the Word: Devotional (New York City, NY: FaithWords, 2008).

The Search for Peace

…Let him search for peace…and seek it eagerly. [Do not merely desire peaceful relations with God, with your fellowmen, and with yourself, but pursue, go after them!]
— 1 PETER 3:11

When Jesus said, Peace I leave with you… (John 14:27), He was talking about a special kind of peace, not a worldly kind of peace. The special peace that Jesus was talking about is the kind of peace that operates all the time in every situation.

The believer who is experiencing God’s peace through his relationship with Jesus can have peace even in the midst of the storms of life.

First Peter 3:11 says that we are to search for peace, to pursue it, and to seek it eagerly. The word seek means “…strive after, endeavor…desire.” “Inquire.” “To require or demand.”1 It means requiring something as a vital necessity, craving, or pursuing something.

This verse mentions three areas in which we are to seek peace: (1) with God, (2) with our fellowmen, and (3) with ourselves.

Learn to love peace and to desire it earnestly. Seek peace, for without it you cannot enjoy life and the blessings of God. The Lord has said that if you seek Him with your whole heart, you will find Him. (Jeremiah 29:13.) I believe if you seek and search for peace with your whole heart, you will find what you are looking for.

Say This:
“I have the peace that passes all understanding. I have the peace that operates in the midst of the storm.”

The Price of Peace

Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]
— JOHN 14:27

The peace of the Lord is one of the most precious blessings in life.

From a spiritual position, it was Jesus’ blood that bought our peace. But from a practical or natural position, the price we must pay for peace is a willingness to change our approach to life. We will never enjoy peace without a willingness to adjust and adapt ourselves.

You and I must be willing to sacrifice worry and reasoning if we are to know peace. We cannot have anxiety, frustration, or rigid, legalistic attitudes and enjoy the peace of God.

Keep your mind and conversation on Jesus — not the problem. Worry is useless, vain, and prideful.

One of the big adjustments I had to make was to slow down. It is impossible to remain peaceful and hurry. God is not in a hurry.

Be willing and obedient to make the changes the Holy Spirit leads you to make in order to walk in peace. Jesus has provided His peace — enjoy it!

Pray This:
“Lord, I receive Your peace today. I will seek peace, follow after peace, and let peace be the umpire in my life. In Jesus’ name, amen.”

God Is Seeking the Pure in Heart

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
— MATTHEW 5:8 KJV

Jesus is coming back for a glorious Church, a holy Church without spot, wrinkle, or blemish. (Ephesians 5:27 KJV.) The Lord is seeking people with pure hearts. (John 4:23.) We should desire and work toward purity of heart because it is God’s will. (1 John 3:3 KJV.)

Purity of heart is not a natural trait. It is something that must be worked in most of us. Purity and purging go together. (John 15:2 KJV.) Purging is a tedious process because through it worthless things are removed while things of value are retained.

Removing the worthless without harming the valuable requires an expert — and our God is an expert! (Malachi 3:3.) He watches over us, and when impurities are being extracted, He makes sure the valuable things in us are not harmed.

Allowing God to do a deep work requires great commitment. It is not always comfortable to face the kind of truth He desires to bring. But we must realize that the truth will not affect our lives unless we are willing to face it, accept it, and allow it to change us.

Are you willing to pay the price to have purity in your life — purity of motives, thoughts, attitudes, words, and actions?
Remember, the pure in heart will be blessed.

Pray This:
“Father, I submit my life to You. I commit myself to face Your truth and allow it to change me. In Jesus’ name, amen.”

How To Hear From God

But when He, the Spirit of Truth (the Truth-giving Spirit) comes, He will guide you into all the Truth (the whole, full Truth).…
— JOHN 16:13

Divine guidance is God’s will for His children.

We must believe that God does desire to speak to us and that we can hear from Him. One of the ministries of the Holy Spirit in our lives is to guide or lead us into God’s will for us in each situation.

I don’t believe that anyone immediately knows how to be led by the Spirit. We learn in these areas, and it takes teaching, studying, training, exercising, and making a few mistakes.

Making a mistake is not the end of the world; not learning from our mistake is a greater mistake than the original error.

Have a pioneering spirit and be willing to learn. Here are some pointers that will help you:

1. Have regular prayer and fellowship time with God.
2. Be careful what you hear. Create an atmosphere that is conducive to hearing God.
3. Want God’s will more than your own.
4. Know that God leads step-by-step. He often does not show you the entire plan at the beginning.
5. Be a thankful person.
6. Be led by peace and wisdom.

The Holy Spirit desires to lead you into God’s good plan for your life; He will speak to you, and you can hear Him.

Do This:
Peace is the umpire that decides what is right and wrong. Don’t do anything you don’t have peace about. Be led by peace.

Seated in Heavenly Places

And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.
— EPHESIANS 2:6 KJV

What does it mean to be seated in heavenly places? It means that we are now able to enter into God’s rest.

To be seated means to rest. When we sit in a chair, we rest our physical body. To be seated in heavenly places with Christ is to enter an “inner rest.” Our spirit and soul can be at rest because of what Christ has done for us, and because of the good plan God has for us.

One definition of rest is “to be at peace or ease”; “free from anxiety or distress.”1 Rest is freedom from worry and frustration which develop because of our works in trying to do what only God can do. It is freedom from excessive reasoning, struggle, fear, and inner turmoil.

We are to abide in the Lord. The word abide means to “dwell,” “to remain in a place.”2 When we abide in Him, we can rest, trust, lean, and rely on Him in this place of protection. The promise of God’s peace is not made to those who work and struggle in their own strength but to those who sit, rest, and abide in Christ.

There are those who have learned the blessing of entering God’s rest. They are seated with Him, and they have learned to abide in their place.
If you are struggling, take a seat and rest. Your place has been there waiting for you to occupy it all along.

Do This:
You are seated in heavenly places in Christ. Stay in your seat. Stop jumping up every few minutes and getting out of rest!

Back
Top Bottom