God loves and hates

James

God’s Love and God’s Hate​

God’s love does not stop God from also hating in righteous anger. This is the wrath of a holy and just God against sinners. While loving and full of grace and mercy, our God is a God of justice and righteousness.

Thus, it stands to reason that he would indeed hate evil and those who commit evil. We should expect nothing less from a just and holy God (Romans 2:5)

God desires all to repent of their sin and find righteousness in Christ. But, without Christ, the wicked remain unforgiven, and God will hate them “for their many sins, for they have rebelled” (Psalm 5:10).

Yet, at that very moment of saving faith in Christ, the wicked are removed from the kingdom of darkness and move into the kingdom of light (Colossians 1:13).

Indeed, God’s love reflects his mercy, and this mercy is found in his utmost patience with us. Rather than immediately punishing people for their sins, God wants that everyone should come to repentance (Matthew 5:45).

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead, he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. (2Peter 3:9)

We, humans, are incapable of perfect love or perfect hate. We are not God. His ways are higher than our ways, and his thoughts higher than our thoughts (Isaiah 55:9).

While we may be unable to understand it in this life, God is indeed capable of both perfect love and perfect hate.

He is God. God can hate a sinner and then, in love, forgive that sinner at the very moment of repentance and faith in Christ, regardless of what they have done.

God’s mercy does not mean that everyone will be saved. It does mean that everyone has the opportunity to be saved, a choice that is theirs to accept or reject. Sin, however, cannot and will not go unpunished forever. There will come a day of judgment and a day of God’s wrath.

Yes our God is long-suffering not wishing anyone would perish but that all would come to repentance. Amen

And while we were yet enemies Christ died for us, the Just for the unjust. We were children of wrath just like the rest as Paul declares in Ephesians 2. Jesus is not only the propitiation for our sins ( believers ) but for the sins of the entire/whole world who hates God and is under the dominion of the evil one, the god of this world.

God’s love does not stop God from also hating in righteous anger. This is the wrath of a holy and just God against sinners. While loving and full of grace and mercy, our God is a God of justice and righteousness.

Thus, it stands to reason that he would indeed hate evil and those who commit evil. We should expect nothing less from a just and holy God (Romans 2:5)

God desires all to repent of their sin and find righteousness in Christ. But, without Christ, the wicked remain unforgiven, and God will hate them “for their many sins, for they have rebelled” (Psalm 5:10).

Yet, at that very moment of saving faith in Christ, the wicked are removed from the kingdom of darkness and move into the kingdom of light (Colossians 1:13).

Indeed, God’s love reflects his mercy, and this mercy is found in his utmost patience with us. Rather than immediately punishing people for their sins, God wants that everyone should come to repentance (Matthew 5:45).

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead, he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. (2Peter 3:9)

We, humans, are incapable of perfect love or perfect hate. We are not God. His ways are higher than our ways, and his thoughts higher than our thoughts (Isaiah 55:9).

While we may be unable to understand it in this life, God is indeed capable of both perfect love and perfect hate.

He is God. God can hate a sinner and then, in love, forgive that sinner at the very moment of repentance and faith in Christ, regardless of what they have done.

God’s mercy does not mean that everyone will be saved. It does mean that everyone has the opportunity to be saved, a choice that is theirs to accept or reject. Sin, however, cannot and will not go unpunished forever. There will come a day of judgment and a day of God’s wrath.
I see that this is from an Eastern Orthodox POV. Nice !!!

I hear many people talking about the Love of God, and they equate that with the salvation of God. Absolutely, God is Love. And His Love is so deep and powerful that He even gave Jesus to die so that His enemies could be reconciled to Him. But the fact that He loves you is not synonymous with His salvation of you.

Some people use Rom 8:39 to say that there is nothing that can remove our salvation. However, there are many passages where we are warned not to fall away from diligently following Christ or we will lose our salvation. Remember, God loved us even when we were still His enemies and estranged from Him, as it says in Rom 5:8.

God’s love does not stop God from also hating in righteous anger.
God hates the sin but loves the sinner. Such doesn't mean he's not grieved or gets angry at the things people might do. I'll say it this way I know parents of whom their offspring have hurt them continually. A part of them feels exasperated with them and there's everything about their actions that make them feel that they don't like them. If something happened to them though they'd be broken hearted and weep. Why? Because regardless of what they've done they love them. I wouldn't think that if we as natural parents could feel that way God wouldn't feel the same. Not to have it that way would mean we have a higher capacity then God. But God tells us how much more does God love MORE than us.

Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live? Eze 18:23

If God hated the wicked in the real sense of the word he wouldn't want them. And if he hated them he'd probably have pleasure at their destruction....he doesn't.

This is the wrath of a holy and just God against sinners. While loving and full of grace and mercy, our God is a God of justice and righteousness.
Yes but that doesn't mean God didn't love those to whom he had to bring his judgement. A judge in our natural realm may have to punish one of his offspring in his court of law and send them to face justice.
So what exactly is your position. Are you saying that God is neutral towards the sinner right now? He doesn't love them or hate them but is watching to see what they do? The Bible says "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son...." So we know that he loves them.
Well as stated I don't believe God hates the sinner even though an odd verse mostly in the Psalms you'll see a statement like that. It needs to be understood in context though looking at all other Bible verses to balance them out.
On this one issue I think we can understand the principals regarding how these things apply.
So again James you keep saying God hates a sinner and the only time he loves them is when they repent. Consider 1 John 4:9,

Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

So he loved us yes as sinners BEFORE we repented. As you can see the scripture is clear on this.

Sin, however, cannot and will not go unpunished forever. There will come a day of judgment and a day of God’s wrath.
I agree it won't. But I'll still hold to God is LOVE and there is no hate in him. That is hate in the way that you think. (see my first paragraph)

God hates the sin but loves the sinner. Such doesn't mean he's not grieved or gets angry at the things people might do. I'll say it this way I know parents of whom their offspring have hurt them continually. A part of them feels exasperated with them and there's everything about their actions that make them feel that they don't like them. If something happened to them though they'd be broken hearted and weep. Why? Because regardless of what they've done they love them. I wouldn't think that if we as natural parents could feel that way God wouldn't feel the same. Not to have it that way would mean we have a higher capacity then God. But God tells us how much more does God love MORE than us.

Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live? Eze 18:23

If God hated the wicked in the real sense of the word he wouldn't want them. And if he hated them he'd probably have pleasure at their destruction....he doesn't.

Yes but that doesn't mean God didn't love those to whom he had to bring his judgement. A judge in our natural realm may have to punish one of his offspring in his court of law and send them to face justice.

So what exactly is your position. Are you saying that God is neutral towards the sinner right now? He doesn't love them or hate them but is watching to see what they do? The Bible says "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son...." So we know that he loves them.

Well as stated I don't believe God hates the sinner even though an odd verse mostly in the Psalms you'll see a statement like that. It needs to be understood in context though looking at all other Bible verses to balance them out.

On this one issue I think we can understand the principals regarding how these things apply.

So again James you keep saying God hates a sinner and the only time he loves them is when they repent. Consider 1 John 4:9,

Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

So he loved us yes as sinners BEFORE we repented. As you can see the scripture is clear on this.

I agree it won't. But I'll still hold to God is LOVE and there is no hate in him. That is hate in the way that you think. (see my first paragraph)
Excellent rebuttal !

smaller word count, and more clear :

God hates Esau. That's all.

Back
Top Bottom